• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag or Liner

FatherTed

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2013
Hi folks , doing my first Camino starting in SJPP in last two weeks of July. Trying to get a packing list together - some really good lists on the forum - and want your thoughts . Sleeping bag or could I get away with just a sleeping bag liner ? Trying to make sure my pack is around the 10% mark ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Father Ted.

If ever you can get away with just a liner it should be at that time of year. However don't just do it because of weight. You should be able to get to 10% even with a sleeping bag, so look again at the other things you're packing as well.

Buen Camino!

This is a common question and a lot depends on your needs. When I did the Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC in 2001 I did it during the month of July. I only took a flannel sleeping bag liner. I thought that it would be hot in Spain in the summer but in fact, as Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe, I was frequently sleeping in places over a couple thousand feet above sea level (Leon, Astorga among others) and it gets quite chilly up there at that altitude.

What made matters worse was that during the summer it's so crowded. Beds go fast, and I can't even tell you how many times I slept on the floor, in a hallway, and once on a kitchen table. I really wished that I had had a warm down sleeping bag as I got quite chilly.

So, having said all that, I would very strongly recommend a lightweight down sleeping bag such as those sold by Marmot, Mountain Hardwear or Zpacks.com. Something in the neighborhood of 500 ro 650 grams. This way you'll be sure to have a warm and cozy night's sleep regardless of the chilly refuge with the open window or the monastery floor with that cold cement.

I would even recommend a lightweight inflatable mattress (about 300 grams) but that's another story.

Have a wonderful walk and stay warm and cozy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your timing is good for a liner ...but the micro fleece type or silk will be best.There will be a giant wave of people starting just after you...and although busy until Sarria finding a bed is possible...(after this point budget 30 euros a night for Bed and Breakfast accom....just in case.If you do get chilly in the higher parts of the camino...sleep in your next days walking clothes and socks.Whilst weight of packs is an issue so is volume...a liner packs up really small...which gives you space for a fleece foe morning walking...and then you can use a 35 litre pack...which will save you weight over the 50 litre pack you may need with a sleeping bag (and mat?!)

done camino twice in aug/sept,used lightweigt Tesco sleeping bag,perfect!cost £12 in sale,normally about £20.jim h

I have, and would, always carry a light-weight two-season bag and a liner. The bag doubles as a mattress (or at least a bit of padding) in extremis. A cold nights sleep is not a nights sleep.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.