• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag or liner

WALKER007

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Camino Frances 26th April to June 1st 2013
I am starting from Lisbon at the beginning of September to walk the Camino Portuguese and hoping to stay in alburgues along the way. Can anyone advise if I need to bring a sleeping bag or will a liner suffice?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally I take always a sleeping bag but I do hate to sleep 'cold'. Buen Camino, SY

Average temperatures show a low of 16 degrees C in September so I'd certainly consider just a good liner and if it's ever necessary you can leave on a shirt and pants for extra warmth.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I walked from Lisbon in June this year, I can confirm each Albergue had a ready supply of blankets. Most nights I only used my liner.
Bom Caminho
Davie

I am starting from Lisbon at the beginning of September to walk the Camino Portuguese and hoping to stay in alburgues along the way. Can anyone advise if I need to bring a sleeping bag or will a liner suffice?
Take both, and some merino thermals. My daughter and I walked this route in winter, started in Ferrol in November and walked down to reach Lisbon a month later, in an attempt to stay ahead of the rain. It didn't work. On other trips to Portugal we have found it to be cold and wet from mid Sept onwards.
There are few refuges in the Lisbon to Porto section, but fire stations have stacks if mattresses and blankets, they tend to be used more by large groups going to Fatima, rather then solo walkers. But they will give you a basic place to stay. Cold though, as were most of the pensions and hotels we stayed in, for some reason heating is very poor in Portugal. My local friends laugh that its more likely your host will give you a coat to wear inside, then take yours to hang up. That said, lovely people and a lovely Caminho.

I would go for a light-duty sleeping bag, small and light but will offer much more protection than a liner. Some public albergues will not have any covers, as was the case in Ponte de Lima.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take both, and some merino thermals. My daughter and I walked this route in winter, started in Ferrol in November and walked down to reach Lisbon a month later, in an attempt to stay ahead of the rain. It didn't work. On other trips to Portugal we have found it to be cold and wet from mid Sept onwards.
There are few refuges in the Lisbon to Porto section, but fire stations have stacks if mattresses and blankets, they tend to be used more by large groups going to Fatima, rather then solo walkers. But they will give you a basic place to stay. Cold though, as were most of the pensions and hotels we stayed in, for some reason heating is very poor in Portugal. My local friends laugh that its more likely your host will give you a coat to wear inside, then take yours to hang up. That said, lovely people and a lovely Caminho.
Thank you Helen and Scott - interesting you say rain from mid September onwards, imagine it would still be hot weather. I am walking from 1st September from Lisbon and have been told the route from Lisbon to Porto is not well marked, there a few alburgues and shouldn't be attempted unless one is seasoned pilgrim and one speaks Portuguese. I am neither really so slightly apprehensive but hey ho isn't that what the Camino is about. I walked the CF three years ago and it was fantastic. Thanks for your reply

I am walking from 1st September from Lisbon and have been told the route from Lisbon to Porto is not well marked, there a few alburgues and shouldn't be attempted unless one is seasoned pilgrim and one speaks Portuguese. I am neither really so slightly apprehensive but hey ho isn't that what the Camino is about. I walked the CF three years ago and it was fantastic. Thanks for your reply
You will be fine, we speak next to no Portuguese and found it not to be a problem, due largely I guess to the historical impact of Brits in the county over the years. We usually time our European walking to their Autumn, ie September, as it starts to cool off and you get a few good weeks before the rain sets in. If you are only going up to Porto you should be fine, the rain rolls in from the Atlantic and hits the north before working its way down the county, the mt ranges on the border mean Portugal tends to be wet while the Spaish side can be in drought. Just take lightweight warm clothes to help incase it gets cold. Cheers Hel

Easy to cool off. Difficult to get warm if you dont have warm clothes. WFM. Works for me. KSO bc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

There are NO blankets in the Xunta albergues in Galicia (e.g. Porriño). I would suggest you have a sleeping bag with you if you intend to stay in them (the cheapest option). September can still be hot . . . but it can also be cold . . .
Jill

I left Pamplona 31 August and it was so hot I used just a liner for about 3 days. After that it was cool enough that I used a sleeping bag (one that opened out completely) and didn't use the liner again. Like SYates, I hate to sleep cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back