• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner?

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
Starting to walk on the 5th of May in Irun, should I bring a sleeping bag or can I just use a liner. Not sure how cold the weather will in that time of year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am also walking the del Norte...leaving Irun on May 8th. I tend to sleep hot so I am carrying a liner only. If I get cold I will sleep in my tights and jacket which I am already planning on bringing. I am purposing to pack as light as possible.

Hope I see you out there!

The quickest way to get opinions on this question is to use the Search function. It is very much a matter of personal preference, and what layering options you are taking. The weather could be cool or it could be hot 😁 I always take a light sleeping bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi JP - I now take a liner: 240 grams and rolls up into a small ball. I have never been cold as there are more often than not blankets provided by the Alberques, you being an experienced pilgrim would know this, should it get a bit nippy. You can always put on an extra layer if there's no blankets. I haven't walked the Norde yet, but do a search and you'll probably find out how it is this time of year, and decide what suits you best. If you go for a liner do shop around as there are many different materials, weights and quality. I changed to a liner mainly because I always found myself too hot in my sleeper, and the advagtage of carrying much less weight is a real bonus (I've reduced my rucksak capacity to 23 litres). Best wishes, Keith

I always carry a decent sleeping bag as I choose to sleep outdoors a lot on camino, I sleep warm so never really need it indoors.

Funny though, every camino I have walked I have donated my sleeping bag to a pilgrim who was feeling the cold in an albergue, even in summer. The nights can get chilly. And though blankets are sometimes available, that is not 100% of the case, and sometimes those blankets can be a bit smelly.

So it really depends on you really. I recommend a light sleeping bag though.

Davey

I would take a light sleeping bag. I walked the Primitivo in 17 and was cold in just my silk liner and clothes. The Norte probably will be cool as well as the primitivo,if you are going that way.Better to be too warm than too cold. Also only saw one alberque that had blankets,and those for 3 euros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I take two sheets and two pillowcases from home - you need 2 because the pillows in Spain are very wide. They cover the whole of the top of the beds you will find in the hostels). I treat them with permethrin before I go. Done the Frances 5 times and never had a bed bug problem.

Starting to walk on the 5th of May in Irun, should I bring a sleeping bag or can I just use a liner. Not sure how cold the weather will in that time of year.
1st timer, but I'll start 4/19 Did Peru Andes, base layers, liner, micro towel (REI) Space blanket. No problems sleeping. Takes little room in pack too. Decathlon had those same towels in Colombia for $14 USD. Their in Spain, ? prices. Do not know.

I take two sheets and two pillowcases from home - you need 2 because the pillows in Spain are very wide. They cover the whole of the top of the beds you will find in the hostels). I treat them with permethrin before I go. Done the Frances 5 times and never had a bed bug problem.
Will treatment with spray Deet work? Pack already full.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will treatment with spray Deet work? Pack already full.
Deet is an insect repellent, for a certain period of time, when applied to human skin. Permethrin is an insectide (insect-killer) when applied to the insect. The effectiveness of either, when applied to pillow cases and sheets, is unknown.

Deet is an insect repellent, for a certain period of time, when applied to human skin. Permethrin is an insectide (insect-killer) when applied to the insect. The effectiveness of either, when applied to pillow cases and sheets, is unknown.
Thanks, hopefully no bugs then.

I've used permethrin on every Camino and have had no problems while others in bunks next to me have been bitten. I swear by it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the primitivo in 17,I noticed several bloody spots on my mattress in an alberque. Obviously there were bed bugs,but had treated my silk liner,and had no problems. A french boy in a bunk next to me had a row of bug bites,so they must have been around. It might have just been luck,but probably was the spray. At home ticks come from miles around to jump on me!

As far as I know, and I have had the delights of bed bugs on Camino - a single BB bites in a line, so one bug will leave a fairly recognisable line of feasting, one bite after another. More lines mean more bugs, and infestation. Also, bites can show immediately or after two-three days, depending upon your reaction to them. Spots of blood on a matress are a sure sign. Its always good to check the seams and folds of the matress and pillow, if you've any energy left after a good days hike. On the Salvador last year, and primitivo, I was bite-free. Happy bite-free Camino
PS but always try to do a body tick-search every day. Its those little nasty buggers you really need to be carefull of ! I always take a special tick remover with me. If you don't find ticks, but have a strange circular rash anywhere or see one on someone else, get medical attention immediately, don't hesitate.
Keith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.