• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Sleeping bag or No sleeping bag? That is the question?

Kaye Simpkin

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese
Oh my goodness.... a few different opinions on this one. My daughters and I are quite small so we are caught in the dilemma of, not being able to carry too much but feeling the cold. We are on Camino Portuguese from Porto 16th May. Advise welcome so we can weigh up the pros and cons. Thank you. Loving this forum. K

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sleeping bag maybe? As in should they carry one?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How silly am I! Sleeping BAG
😄 Don't worry.. there's the EDIT tab to cover your boo-boo!
I walked the CP from Lisbon to SdC in 2015 at the same time of year as you. That year it was very hot (day time temps in mid 30's celsius) & I could have gotten away without taking a sleeping...bag 😉 As you feel the cold, have you looked into a lightweight compactable sleeping bag? Mine weighs just 460gm & fits in the palm of my hand when in its sack. It's goose down & zips all the way around (not mummy-style) so can also be used as a quilt. It was the most expensive gear item I've ever bought (AUD $200) but worth it as its not a burden to carry even if you don't end up using it much. Of course the other option is to stay in accommodation where bedding is provided.
Happy trails 👣 🌏

The temperature will never be less than 15C. You can easily find sleeping bags that weigh around 300/400 g or even less.

If I were you, I would take a sleeping bag liner (+/- 200 g). The worst that can happen is that some days I need a T-shirt to feel comfortable. Or, if the weather becomes really unpleasant this year, I can always buy something at a local store.

Also think that Most albergues (not all of them) can provide you a blanket.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The temperature will never be less than 15C. You can easily find sleeping bags that weigh around 300/400 g or even less.
http://www.porto.climatemps.com/june.php has climate data for Porto in June. The average minimum temperature is 13.5 deg C - indicating to me that half of the nights will be colder than that. The average minimum temperature in Jul gets to 15 deg C. Again, expect half the nights to be below that.

Even if you were sleeping outside, a one season sleeping bag would suffice.

I was meaning inside an albergue. If the plan is to sleep outside ... ok then you REALLY need a heavier sleeping bag.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the Camino del Norte/Camino Primitivo in April/May last year. I chose not to carry a sleeping bag. Instead I used my standard travel system. A lightweight Merino wool sleeping bag liner sold by REI. They also make silk and synthetic material liners. I also had a pair of lightweight merino longjohns.
Between the sleeping bag liner and the longjohns, and the fact that every albergue I stayed in had blankets I was comfortably warm every night, and I worried just a wee bit less about bedbugs.
The merino wool liner weighs less than 2 lbs and is quite small.

For May, sleeping in albergues, a liner should be sufficient. Try to find one with a full separating zip. There is a US company called Alps Mountaineering that makes rectangular sleeping bag liners from microfiber material with full separating zip on two sides. Two such liners can be mated to form a double sleep sack. They cost around USD 30.

Here is their website: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

You want the 'brushed polyester' NOT the poly/cotton...

I do not know availability in OZ. BUt, I presume shipping is available.

Hope this helps.

Oh my goodness.... a few different opinions on this one. My daughters and I are quite small so we are caught in the dilemma of, not being able to carry too much but feeling the cold. We are on Camino Portuguese from Porto 16th May. Advise welcome so we can weigh up the pros and cons. Thank you. Loving this forum. K

Kaye:

I would not walk a Camino without 2 things. A sleeping bag and rain gear.

That said, I walk in the March/April time frame and you are walking in May/June.

Therefore, You can probably get away with a silk liner. If you get a cold night, you can sleep with some clothes on.

Do not forget the rain gear.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino del Norte/Camino Primitivo in April/May last year. I chose not to carry a sleeping bag. Instead I used my standard travel system. A lightweight Merino wool sleeping bag liner sold by REI. They also make silk and synthetic material liners. I also had a pair of lightweight merino longjohns.
Between the sleeping bag liner and the longjohns, and the fact that every albergue I stayed in had blankets I was comfortably warm every night, and I worried just a wee bit less about bedbugs.
The merino wool liner weighs less than 2 lbs and is quite small.

Just for comparison, I walked Norte April 1-29, I brought a down Marmot Ultralight sleeping bag (1lb. 8oz. or 680 grams) and no longjohns. I was perfectly comfortable.

Ultreya,
Joe

I walked the Francigena from Lausanne to Rome sept- nov, with a lightweight “Marmot
Nanowave 35” sleeping bag. I’m 5’ tall and weigh 85 lbs. I had the bag altered cutting off the bottom excess. Make sure you have warm LAYERS!!!, hats and socks. I also used a “Thermarest” which reflects heat back to you and weighs very little!! I trained in for several weeks in the VT trails- with my backpack
Good luck and most importantly- have fun.
Let me know if you have any questions
Gretel-Vermont

I have walked Camino's with no sleep bag/system of any kind, with only a liner and with a summer weight sleeping bag weighing only approximately 450 grams.
I have come to the conclusion that having at least a liner is best, and if you do want to carry an actual sleeping bag itself, make sure it weighs no more than about 450 grams (one pound).
Mind you, that's for warmer weather Camino walks, say May through September.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I use a silk sleep sack that I made with a zip partially down one side, and a separate pillowcase. I used to use the kind of silk liner with the built in pocket for a pillow, but I found that I couldn't scrunch up my pillow the way that I like it in the pocket. My sleep sack is wider than most commercially available ones, and has straps to keep it attached to the mattress, so I don't get twisted around at night.
For cool/cold nights I carry a tiny Montbell down blanket that weighs 6.9 ounces/197 gm. It's small, but big enough to keep me warm when I tuck it inside the sleep sack. A less expensive option is a down blanket from Costco cut in half, which makes it just about the same size as my blanket but much less expensive, and just a bit heavier at about 7.5 ounces/212 gm. Together my "system" weighs around 14.5 ounces/411 gm.

I was meaning inside an albergue. If the plan is to sleep outside ... ok then you REALLY need a heavier sleeping bag.
By Jun/Jul, I suspect many albergues will have the heating off, and the building will cool down. Whether the rooms will reach the external ambient temperature is moot. My experience was that it only took one fresh air fanatic to get up and open a window during the night to send a chill through everyone as the room temperature dropped.

Also, having some experience with the denizens of Perth - I spent my childhood there and return regularly to visit family - they live in a relatively warm climate even in winter and are likely to be less tolerant of cooler conditions. My family start to rug up when temperatures get below 20 deg C! Anything below 10 deg C is almost a reason to stay indoors for the day!

Last edited:
You say you feel the cold.... I’d take a light sleeping bag.
I always do, even in Summer. And I have been really cold in August some nights. (In the mountains and on the way to Finisterre, for ex.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
By Jun/Jul, I suspect many albergues will have the heating off, and the building will cool down. Whether the rooms will reach the external ambient temperature is moot. My experience was that it only took one fresh air fanatic to get up and open a window during the night to send a chill through everyone as the room temperature dropped.
Yes, that horrid fresh air from outside. Must keep it out. Everyone knows the night air makes one ill and don't forget the witches and demons out there. Is so much healthier that we all slumber in a sealed room, breathing in each other's coughing and flatulence.

Yes, that horrid fresh air from outside. Must keep it out. Everyone knows the night air makes one ill and don't forget the witches and demons out there. Is so much healthier that we all slumber in a sealed room, breathing in each other's coughing and flatulence.
There is a substantial difference between cracking a window open to allow some fresh air to circulate and having the windows wide open so that a gale roars through. :rolleyes:

There is a substantial difference between cracking a window open to allow some fresh air to circulate and having the windows wide open so that a gale roars through. :rolleyes:
I recall a very heated disagreement in regards to open albergue windows. It was on the Frances during June several years ago. Very warm, at the most mild at night. Six of us in an albergue room, on the second floor. Five of us wanted the windows open, one did not. He insisted that they stay closed as he said it was a proven medical fact that the night air makes one sick. I had a difficult time trying to reason with him while suppressing laughter. He would not budge from his stance and fortunately another pilgrim volunteered to stay in the room instead of him and he moved in the room that pilgrim originally had, with closed windows I assume.
I remember at one point I told him that democracy rules and the majority in the room wanted the windows open, at which point he said "no! no democracy!". I still laugh thinking about that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kay, I see you're from Perth also! I used a Thermolite liner from Sea to Summit with a silk liner in April - Jun 2016 and found that great as the Albergues always had blankets because it was a bit chilly early on. Last year I bought a 410gr down sleeping bag for May - Jun for the Norte which was cosy too. Weight-wise they were similar but the first option was a bit lighter, also size-wise as well. You could get away with just a Thermolite and albergue blanket too. You could pm me if you'd like any further info re exact weights, etc. Happy planning Lori

Thank you everyone. Yes, Perth is rather warm, I'm looking at lows in Portuagal of 13 degrees in May and thinking that's a bit cool! If I knew for sure we would get blankets in the Albergues I would be fine, but worried we may not. Will look into the price of light sleeping bags and weigh it up against the added carrying weight.. Thanks again.

I did camino last year may-june and I was very happy that I had sleeping bag, it was cold most of nights. You can find ultra light sleepin bag in Decathlon in Pamplona for 40 euro.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Ingles in May 2018 ... brought a liner, needed up buying a fleece blanket along the way. It can be cool. For this year, a lightweight sleeping bag

Thank you everyone. Yes, Perth is rather warm, I'm looking at lows in Portuagal of 13 degrees in May and thinking that's a bit cool! If I knew for sure we would get blankets in the Albergues I would be fine, but worried we may not. Will look into the price of light sleeping bags and weigh it up against the added carrying weight.. Thanks again.
Hello Kaye
I also aim to travel as light as possible but don't want to feel the cold and want to stay relatively comfortable and healthy. I found the Camino Portugues to be a bit cooler than the Camino Frances especially in May. Perhaps a lightweight down sleeping bag would be best. Expensive but folds up or rather gets stuffed into a small space. Mine is about 480g but maybe you could find one in your country that weighs a bit less. Bom camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have a 700g sleeping bag but am interested in getting a lighter one but have had no luck here in Ireland. A few people have mentioned 450 down ones, could you post brand please?
Many thanks.

Everything I have read about this 400gm sleeping bag has been positive and reviewers rave about it.

It is definitely not inexpensive, but I am looking for a retail outlet in North America

Some albergues will not allow you to stay without a sleeping bag, especially on Camino Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everything I have read about this 400gm sleeping bag has been positive and reviewers rave about it.

It is definitely not inexpensive, but I am looking for a retail outlet in North America
Thanks for that. I have found an outlet in England which is useful to know. It is around £180.

I have a 700g sleeping bag but am interested in getting a lighter one but have had no luck here in Ireland. A few people have mentioned 450 down ones, could you post brand please?
Many thanks.
Perhaps you could try K-way, available from Cape Union Mart. They have 2 very light sleeping bags made exclusively for them. Perhaps if you enquired online they would send it to you. One is about 480g and the other about 350g.

Many thanks.
The K-way Lite 500 and the K-way Lite 400 distributed by Cape Union Mart.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back