• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag or sheet?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sleeping bag or sleeping liner?
Partially it depends on whether "sleep warm" or "sleep cold". But in general, blankets are almost always available at French gites. So a liner is most likely sufficient for June. If you get chilly at night the first days (until you are past Conques), just wear your long underwear at night.

Bringing a lightweight sleeping bag(40F+) and a silk sleeping bag liner for our 2017 Aug-Oct Camino Frances ... just in case ...lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I froze, in July, after a few wet days in Galicia, even with a sleeping bag. Second Camino (also summer), I took a fleece liner in an effort to cut weight and it just didn't do it for me. I prefer something a little more "cozy" so it's back to a light weight (13oz) down sleeping bag for this upcoming camino in June/July. My teens also use sleeping bags and they say it is the one thing they will never part with. Personal preference I guess.

Last edited:
I'm with Cmeckley, and she's talking about JULY. Last year at the end of May it was hailing and sleeting the second half of the day to Roncesvalles. They don't provide blankets at that one particular albergue, but you can buy an inexpensive bag at the desk if you have to, should you decide to go with only a liner and find you need a bag.

Two years ago in Santiago it was freezing in mid-October - they don't seem to turn the heat on in Spain until very late in the year, even in the higher-end hotels in Madrid. Taking effective rain gear is important because if you have no way of drying a backpack full of damp clothes, it's kind of miserable. The albergues I stayed in all had bedding, and I often unzipped my 40F bag and used it as a comforter. It feels good to crawl into or under your own soft sleeping bag at the end of a day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am here right now and a light sleeping bag is perfect. In the albergue in Roncesvalles there were no blankets, stayed there last night

He is commencing in the middle of GR65 in the middle of summer
He is nowhere near Roncesvalles and the gites in France are very different from the alberques in Spain.
They all have blankets and 90% have sheets

I froze, in July, after a few wet days in Galicia,

The lad will be 1200km away from the hills and year round wet region of Galicia.
He posted this request under Le Puy and indicated the Cele valley near Figeac / Cahors

The average temp for this region and its NOT the hottest region of the GR65 , that comes later if he continues is;
29c High
22c Aver
16c Low

Rain for month of August ............... is 15 mm
Rain for month of September ......... is 41 mm

Last edited:
I thought it was obvious that it was an either/or situation and not a "both" situation

Plan it right and there is no need for either a liner or sleeping bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought it was obvious that it was an either/or situation and not a "both" situation

Sorry if i got it wrong but the OP [ofer ofer ] was requesting info about the middle of France in June.
The following temp. i gave were also for France , but in August .

I did not realise you were on the Frances in August.
The average temp in August for Pamplona 27c , Logrono 29c, Burgos 30c
These stats should make it very clear which either/or you take.

My comments about not needing either/or bag or liner relate to Le Puy GR65.
The Gites we use have fresh sheets , the Hotels we use have fresh sheets and all have private rooms [ the great part about the French side ]

I'm with Cmeckley, and she's talking about JULY. Last year at the end of May it was hailing and sleeting the second half of the day to Roncesvalles. They don't provide blankets at that one particular albergue, but you can buy an inexpensive bag at the desk if you have to, should you decide to go with only a liner and find you need a bag.

Two years ago in Santiago it was freezing in mid-October - they don't seem to turn the heat on in Spain until very late in the year, even in the higher-end hotels in Madrid. Taking effective rain gear is important because if you have no way of drying a backpack full of damp clothes, it's kind of miserable. The albergues I stayed in all had bedding, and I often unzipped my 40F bag and used it as a comforter. It feels good to crawl into or under your own soft sleeping bag at the end of a day.
Did you experience any bed bug issues?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did you experience any bed bug issues?
Hi Pamea - I'm happy to say that over 2 Caminos I've had no bedbug issues. I spray the outside of my sleeping bag and also the outside of my backpack with Permethrin. I did see a poor woman whose entire back was covered with them, though. She had to go to the clinic in Carrion de los Condes when she arrived in town. The nuns at Espiritu Santo gave her spare clothing and hot-washed/dried all of her washables. I think the clinic treated her with topical steroid cream and oral antihistamines. She was pretty miserable, but getting treatment seemed to help some overnight.

Yuk. For is and for those coming after us as mattres covers don't always get changed daily. Bring something to have between you and the sheet provided by the albergue.

I am trying not to obsess over this. And will focus on positive thoughts. Was just reading different things to do. I will have my nightly lodgings picked for me. (Had to think long and hard about this too. That's another blog issue:). So I guess just trying to calm myself w having a plan if I do enounter the little buggers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

One year, my liner went a-walking in the albergue at Ponferrada (from inside my sleeping bag!).
I always knew it was needed by someone who had neither.....and therefore in greater need than myself.

If sleeping in an albergue, you NEED something to sleep in!

If sleeping in an albergue,

In 2007 and 08 we slept in albergues on the Camino Frances.

On the GR65 [ Le Puy] there is NO need for a sleeping bag or liner.
That is what this discussion was about , The GR and the OP's Cele valley diversion in August.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So what do you use to sleep in then? BC SY

Hotel beds and gites we select on the GR65 have lovely sheets.
Boxer shorts and a bamboo t/shirt for this lad ,
Well past the albergues mate.

Was not commenting on sleeping in albergues
Was talking about lovely gites and /or hotels on the GR65
But you said 90% of them have sheets. Which leaves 10%, according to your post, that do not. Again, yuk!

But you said 90% of them have sheets. Which leaves 10%, according to your post, that do not. Again, yuk!

I think Anemone you had better get to the steps at the Cathedral in Le Puy and go for a walk.
You then might be able to comment on this 800km path to StJPP.
Sheets are available in every Gite , in some they might have to be purchased .
We do not stay in these places.
We also stay in Hotels and also lovely B&B's which are everywhere on the GR65 .

Simply Anemone, the 90% related to Gites , the remaining 10% you worry about could be in lovely hotels.
Example;
1/ Hotel, Chez Camilla , Aumont Aubrac [ in the snow fields ].
2/ Chambres d 'hotes ; La Fontaine , Espalion [ there are 100's on Chambers d'hotes on the path]
An Example of a Gite or B&B ;
La Barbelotte , Montbonnet [ 1st stop ] * Please look at rooms on web site.

Just a few examples for you to consider , look up under google and discover that these places are in the middle of nowhere , amongst the trees in the country side and are stunning.
Very, very , very different from the albergue situation on the Frances which i have not mentioned in any post above.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The lad will be 1200km away from the hills and year round wet region of Galicia.
He posted this request under Le Puy and indicated the Cele valley near Figeac / Cahors

Good to know, but how am I missing that? It looked to me as if it was posted under General Equipment for all Routes. Apologies.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Good to know, but how am I missing that? It looked to me as if it was posted under General Equipment for all Routes. Apologies.

No reason to apologise Cm
Once he raised the subject The OP was asked where and when ,
He replied Cele Valley , France in June.

Have a great Primitivo , a beautiful way and take a liner;)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.