• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or silk liner

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
Hi, four of us are starting out from St. Jean next Thursday 9th June to walk the Frances once more. We’ll be staying in the albergue in Roncevalles on Thursday night and are wondering whether we need lightweight sleeping bags rather than our ultralight silk liners. I can’t recall whether blankets are available at Roncevalles in which case we’d probably be fine with the liners. Comments and advice are much welcomed. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, four of us are starting out from St. Jean next Thursday 9th June to walk the Frances once more. We’ll be staying in the albergue in Roncevalles on Thursday night and are wondering whether we need lightweight sleeping bags rather than our ultralight silk liners. I can’t recall whether blankets are available at Roncevalles in which case we’d probably be fine with the liners. Comments and advice are much welcomed. Thanks.
Hi. I’ve just got back from SJPP to Burgos. Didn’t take a sleeping bag and everywhere had blankets which we actually didn’t need. Also loads of rooms on each day and didn’t encounter any bed race at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I’ve just got back from SJPP to Burgos. Didn’t take a sleeping bag and everywhere had blankets which we actually didn’t need. Also loads of rooms on each day and didn’t encounter any bed race at all.
Mark @followtheyellowshell.com
Ah - good to hear, many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agree with Mark Stevens...we are currently in Burgos and have travelled with sleep liners only and have been more than comfortable every night 🛌

No blankets are available at roncesvalles, but it should be warm enough without them. If not just wear extra clothes.
If I was walking in June. Which I never would especially because I can pick and choose when I walk now. I would ONLY ever have a sleep sack. Who needs even a little extra weight and a more crowded bag.

I carried a sleeping bag only for a January/February Camino. A silk liner is certainly fine from April to October unless you are particularly sensitive to the occasional cooler night. Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking at weather forecasts this first week in June I see temps on CF at Leon down to 48 degrees. Just wondering what the temp is in the albergue then (6am) and if a 8 ounce silk bag will be comfortable.

Are silk liners preferred over microfiber or cotton liners? Looking for liner recommendations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The zipper on my silk liner broke after my Camino, so I decided to replace the liner with a less expensive polyester one. The new liner feels about twice as heavy, but it was less than half the cost. The silk liner will still be used since it had a full zip and did double duty as a sheet in those hotels that only have duvets and no sheets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are silk liners preferred over microfiber or cotton liners? Looking for liner recommendations.
Silk liner works really well. I only used it twice on my recent camino. Just got back a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
The zipper on my silk liner broke after my Camino, so I decided to replace the liner with a less expensive polyester one. The new liner feels about twice as heavy, but it was less than half the cost. The silk liner will still be used since it had a full zip and did double duty as a sheet in those hotels that only have duvets and no sheets.
@Bill's_Walking Can you recommend the brand of silk sleep liner? I look on Amazon, but there are so many, who knows what to get. I want a zipper on mine, too - even, better, zipper on both sides. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think we have both Cocoon and Sea to Summit liners. I did read where someone bought an inexpensive off brand from Amazon and it ripped through the 2nd night so we paid bigger bucks for name brands. The ones we use have lasted several years of pilgrim and hospitalero service.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Bill's_Walking Can you recommend the brand of silk sleep liner? I look on Amazon, but there are so many, who knows what to get. I want a zipper on mine, too - even, better, zipper on both sides. Thanks.
I purchased "Yen's Mulberry Silk Sleeping Bag Liner" in extra wide. I got the extra wide because I was not using it as a liner and if it was cold, I was going to use a down blanket inside the liner. The nice thing about this one is the zipper is full length and goes across the bottom. I did not have to shimmy into it like other liners that do not have a full zip.

I'm walking on CF in October - silk sleep liner only, or include lightweight blanket, too? (I don't like sleeping bags.)
I purchased "Yen's Mulberry Silk Sleeping Bag Liner" in extra wide. I got the extra wide because I was not using it as a liner and if it was cold, I was going to use a down blanket inside the liner. The nice thing about this one is the zipper is full length and goes across the bottom. I did not have to shimmy into it like other liners that do not have a full zip.
That specific one you indicate seems to be out of stock but there is a "used - like new" one (which I'll pass on). However, @Marbe2 recommends: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HQ12HV/?tag=casaivar02-20. I think that looks about the same... "mulberry silk," etc.

Also: I was told I should also bring a blanket (or sleeping bag) for October... I'm one of the dislike mummy-enclosed type of sleepers (which is why I like the recommended extra-large liner), and so would opt for a blanket or at a sleeping bag that I would unzip into a square. What are some lightweight blanket ideas? (I'm a bit of a warm sleeper.) I've certainly looked at the "best of"s and comparisons, etc., but wanted to hear from you all. FWIW: I will be staying in private rooms, whether in albergues or hostals, CRs, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm walking on CF in October - silk sleep liner only, or include lightweight blanket, too? (I don't like sleeping bags.)

That specific one you indicate seems to be out of stock but there is a "used - like new" one (which I'll pass on). However, @Marbe2 recommends: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HQ12HV/?tag=casaivar02-20. I think that looks about the same... "mulberry silk," etc.

Also: I was told I should also bring a blanket (or sleeping bag) for October... I'm one of the dislike mummy-enclosed type of sleepers (which is why I like the recommended extra-large liner), and so would opt for a blanket or at a sleeping bag that I would unzip into a square. What are some lightweight blanket ideas? (I'm a bit of a warm sleeper.) I've certainly looked at the "best of"s and comparisons, etc., but wanted to hear from you all. FWIW: I will be staying in private rooms, whether in albergues or hostals, CRs, etc.

Thanks.
An army poncho liner, a down throw, a fleece liner bag? I have all three here at home. Have used the poncho liners a couple of Caminos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried a sleeping bag only for a January/February Camino. A silk liner is certainly fine from April to October unless you are particularly sensitive to the occasional cooler night. Tom
sorry i disagree! i took a only a liner this past april thru june on the CF from roncesvalles on and had many sleepless freezing nights in albergues who did not provide blankets or heat. there are pilgrims who insist on sleeping with windows open no matter how cold it is outside " to get fresh air" particularly in places with those old stone walls it gets pretty darn cold! if i ever go again i'll at least take a lightweight down quilt if not a sleeping bag!

Thanks.
I don't think that Browint liner has a zipper. I see in the description is has gussets and they seem to be mutually exclusive with zippers. I used a down blanket that was really light weight.

I don't think that Browint liner has a zipper. I see in the description is has gussets and they seem to be mutually exclusive with zippers. I used a down blanket that was really light weight.
They have one that is a silk and cotton blend with zippers. I just ordered two.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the summer, you should be fine with liners
Some might be, and some won't. Honestly, this year in Burgos was the first time in my pilgrim life, going back 28 years, that I have seen anyone sleeping in just a liner.

At least a light sleeping bag is an essential for most people, although if you are one of the unusual exceptions, good for you.

Blankets are fewer and farther between than they were pre-covid, and despite the current heat generally in Spain, it is actually a cooler year, so that at certain altitudes and in certain weather, just a liner simply would not do.

Do you have a link of the name of the blanket? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some might be, and some won't. Honestly, this year in Burgos was the first time in my pilgrim life, going back 28 years, that I have seen anyone sleeping in just a liner.

At least a light sleeping bag is an essential for most people, although if you are one of the unusual exceptions, good for you.

Blankets are fewer and farther between than they were pre-covid, and despite the current heat generally in Spain, it is actually a cooler year, so that at certain altitudes and in certain weather, just a liner simply would not do.
Agree that each person may need to decide for themselves. Silk keeps me warm enough in the Spanish summer. I have also used an Army poncho liner fashioned into a bag in summer which is made of a silky synthetic material.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

lol i wonder if it was me! i was the only one i knew with just a liner :)))

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks.
if you are staying in private rooms you only need the liner as they will provide sheets, blankets and towels.

if you are staying in private rooms you only need the liner as they will provide sheets, blankets and towels.
That's good to know. No possibility of bedbugs in private accommodations' blankets? Also, I will sometimes stay in private rooms at albergues - would they be providing blankets and would they be prone to bedbugs?

That's good to know. No possibility of bedbugs in private accommodations' blankets? Also, I will sometimes stay in private rooms at albergues - would they be providing blankets and would they be prone to bedbugs?
Oh pilgrim. Please use the search facility here on the forum to learn about bedbugs. The public or private nature of your accommodation, communal sleeping or all on your ownsome lonesome will make no difference to our ancient companions. Blankets, sheets, silk pajamas or two shots of Orujo before bedtime: no difference.

see what sort of setup it is when you book the room. i found that usually the private rooms at albergues still provided sheets/blankets/towels but couldn’t say that holds true across the boards as i only stayed in a few private rooms. i’d say 50 percent of the albergues provided blankets. never heard or saw anything about a bedbug the whole way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been looking at a merino wool liner from Decathlon as an alternative to a sleeping bag. Just for late spring or early autumn months.
Weighs 400g.
Has anyone tried one who could give feedback?

I have been looking at a merino wool liner from Decathlon as an alternative to a sleeping bag. Just for late spring or early autumn months.
Weighs 400g.
Has anyone tried one who could give feedback?
I haven't but have a decathlon near me, so will check it out. cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh pilgrim. Please use the search facility here on the forum to learn about bedbugs. The public or private nature of your accommodation, communal sleeping or all on your ownsome lonesome will make no difference to our ancient companions. Blankets, sheets, silk pajamas or two shots of Orujo before bedtime: no difference.
Will do. Already got my permethrin.

I'm walking on CF in October (most of the month) - silk sleep liner only, or include lightweight blanket, too? (I don't like sleeping bags.)
I got this off Amazon, it is half the price of the equivalent blanket / poncho from Thermarest, and is a better design (though 100 grams more due to a long zipper). 1655543520786.png
It opens up into a blanket, zips up into a sleeping bag (actually a tube, open at each end) AND, can be a poncho for warmth (not rain). Weighs 800 grams, so lighter than most light sleeping bags, and more versatile.

sorry i disagree! i took a only a liner this past april thru june on the CF from roncesvalles on and had many sleepless freezing nights in albergues who did not provide blankets or heat. there are pilgrims who insist on sleeping with windows open no matter how cold it is outside " to get fresh air" particularly in places with those old stone walls it gets pretty darn cold! if i ever go again i'll at least take a lightweight down quilt if not a sleeping bag!
I too get cold and hate to have a free night…I am debating on sleeping bag or liner heading on July 11!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Freezing*
the sea to summit traveller sleeping bag/blanket looks like a good option if you can afford it! i already bought one for next time. at least it provides more options not possible with the liner and it packs down to the same size. i used a friendly swede polyester liner that was totally great except for the freezing circumstances already described.

I wouldn't say that. The only time we had bedbugs was in a private hostel. You have to look under the mattress, on the walls -- really scrutinize the sleeping area. I would also advise keeping your stuff in your backpack (unpack as little as possible) and not leaning it against the walls or putting it on the bed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I brought a new sleeping bag for my June start date. After a week or 10 days I left it, unused even once. I used my liner as a blanket but compared to a real blanket, like the fleece sheet I left at home, it was very uncomfortable.

Following up: I got one of the browint silk/cotton bag liners, the bigger size with zippers. Texture is thin and slippery for my taste (I love percale), but will be fine.

As for a lightweight blanket, do you have any thoughts about the following two? I'm walking on the CF from Leon-Santiago in October, and will be staying in private rooms (in hostels or albergues):

At 2.9 pounds, seems quite heavy, but seems warmer than the below? (But no warmth specs on either)

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/126148?csp=s&feat=506831-ecdmotd#review-jump
2 lbs.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Following up: I got one of the browint silk/cotton bag liners, the bigger size with zippers. Texture is thin and slippery for my taste (I love percale), but will be fine.

As for a lightweight blanket, do you have any thoughts about the following two? I'm walking on the CF from Leon-Santiago in October, and will be staying in private rooms (in hostels or albergues):

At 2.9 pounds, seems quite heavy, but seems warmer than the below? (But no warmth specs on either)

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/126148?csp=s&feat=506831-ecdmotd#review-jump
2 lbs.

Thanks for any thoughts!
2.9 lbs is heavy!

How about something like this that is just under a pound?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As mentioned earlier, either a small down blanket for inside the bag or an Army poncho liner. The poncho liner is warm, easily laundered and usually cheaper than down. Is synthetic so stays warmer even if wet.. Buy one already used at Army surplus.

As mentioned earlier, either a small down blanket for inside the bag or an Army poncho liner. The poncho liner is warm, easily laundered and usually cheaper than down. Is synthetic so stays warmer even if wet.. Buy one already used at Army surplus.
Thanks again for the helpful info. I did take a look at army poncho liners online, and felt they would be too slippery atop the already slippery silk sleep sack.

So much better! Thanks!
You might even be able to find something lighter.
Thanks again for the helpful info. I did take a look at army poncho liners online, and felt they would be too slippery atop the already slippery silk sleep sack.
Whatever you choose, try putting it inside the silk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back