• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or sleep sack

Joni

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in May 2010.
Leaving in late May. Should I take my light, packable sleeping bag, or my silk sleep sack? or both? I see pics of Albergues with folks in sleeping bags on their bunks. Is it prudent to take one just in case I end up without a bunk?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take your sleeping bag. I took a silk sleeping bag liner in May and it was really cold in the high places and in some of the albergues.
Many albergues have blankets but, if you end up in a Sports Hall or tent town it could be very cold.
Better safe than sorry - but you won't need both.

I start in late June. I just bought a "sleep sack" at REI... it weighs a little over 2 pounds. Hanging from the ceiling I couldn't believe this sack was NOT a sleeping bag... it looked like one! But it was rolled down to nothing and is lightweight.

I saw several liners and was unsure which would be best.... cotton, silk, fleece, etc.

Suggestions? (I'm sure REI would let me trade if need be....)

Thanks~ Denise

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Denise -
Sounds like you might have got the Marmot 40+. That's what I've got - 2 lbs 3 oz. It has always served me well, albeit I had to wear all my clothes plus rain gear a couple of super cold nights...so you might take a liner as well. I'm thinking of adding a liner this time...

lynne

It's called the Travel Sack Sleeping Bag/Liner by REI. I'm just wondering if it's "more" than I'll need for June/July travel. Yet, the other liners looked just as I suppose a "liner" should: a cotton or silk or nylon bag shaped sheet... the fleece I knew would be too hot.

Just wondering if I should go with the thinner liners... and if so, which one breathes better and dries quicker?

Sounds like May can still have cool nights. What about June/July? I'm thinking not only about staying warm enough... or even too warm... but also, I've read how "airless/musty" some places can be and I'm a bit worried about having fresh air to breathe... otherwise I get nauseous.

So much to think about and yet I hear loud and clear from the pilgrims to just go and experience it less too much preoccupation ... but I want to be a "wise" packer... tee hee~ Denise

Well, I think this is a good choice, but I've never walked the camino later than mid-June.

But it only weighs 27 oz/.77 kg, and the reviews are very good. But I see that most "summer" folks that have posted here have said they only bring a liner in the summer months, so I would take their advice. (Cocoon CoolMax from REI is 11 oz/.31 kg and also reviewed well by users!)

lynne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carried a sleep sack (Altus cotton) in April. It was just fine, and took up a lot less space than my larger 40-degree bag. On cold nights I just piled on more layers of clothing.
I can´t imagine needing anything more in mid summer!
Reb.

So if I switch to a liner only, which one is warmer... cotton? Silk? Coolmax? I'm thinking cotton but I really don't know that much about fabric... obviously!

I use a very light sleeping bag and a silk liner - less than a kilo together and a very small bundle. The chances are it will be warm enough with just the liner but I dislike being cold. I was on the camino in May 2007 and it snowed for a day just outside of Leon. No particular build-up but a cold wind that went right through everything. Of course the next day was scorching hot!
The reason for the liner is so that I can take it out and wash it (4-5 weeks can be a long time in the same sleeping bag!) and silk definitely dries faster than cotton.
Buen camino
Cecelia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I guess it depends on the weather/albergues you end up encountering. Here is something from another thread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic8470.html#p51383 about sleeping bags in April: "I took a light sleeping bag, but it was a bit too light... I was cold many, many times (granted I live in Florida and I was walking in April) So, next year when I go again, I'm spending money on a warmer (light) sleeping bag. " (dislp38)
Margaret

I used a lightweight down sleeping bag, 700 grams first time round and on my last walk a roman palm 1 synthetic sleeping bag, 500 grams. I did not like the synthetic feel as much as the down. Now I have a Macpac 480 grm down sleeping bag with zip, it is a liner, but warm enough down to 13 or so degrees. It should not get colder than this inside dorms. Regards, Gitti

Hi Denise,
You've probably noticed but just in case not - there are two definitions in this thread of 'liner' - one is a single layer of silk, cotton or synthetic made into a bag and the other is a light sleeping bag liner consisting of several layers of material. I guess the latter is technically a liner intended to fit inside a larger sleeping bag when it is really cold outside (but would also work as a light sleeping bag by itself).
Personally I like something that I can wash occasionally - which is why I opt for the light silk, sheet-like liner inside a very light sleeping bag. But obviously there are lots of options.
There are also lots of opinions about how cold it is inside some albergues. I've heard some people say they were freezing all night long while others in the same room slept with covers thrown off... something to do with internal thermostats?? You'll have to be your own judge - just know that few albergues, if any, have heat at night - although with all that heavy breathing in a small room, things do warm up before long. You'll l be glad to know though, that more and more do have hot water showers!
Cecelia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to add our two-penny-worth, and probably more to illustrate that each individual will have an individual answer to this question:

we were walking part of the Norte in April this year. After asking this very same question we took the 40-year-old down sleeping bags, and Peter took a fleece liner (in old-fashioned camping parlance we call these 'sheet sleeping bags') because he feels the cold easily and Bridget took a home-made polycotton one, because I am a woman of a 'certain age' and seem to keep warmer than him. We found that there were blankets in the first few albergues we slept in, so we only needed the liners. And I found the down sleeping bag too warm in crowded rooms with no window open, so I just used it like a throw to pull over cool patches if I needed to.

So we left the sleeping bags behind in a hotel in Santander to be collected on our return journey, to reduce weight, together with such luxuries as the second pair of trousers!

Lo and behold, we came to an albergue where the rule was 'no blankets' because of bugs. Two were kindly lent to us though, but rather thin ones. Peter had to wear all his clothes. We survived!

This is an impossible question!

We are going to ask for very light modern sleeping bags for Christmas! But I would still want a thin liner as well a) for washing and b) for those warm nights when you want lightness with decency!

best to be prepared for less than perfection sometimes, and make the best of whatever you have!

I took a Marmot Pounder Plus at 1.5 pounds.
My partner took a fleece sleep sack from REI which weighed about the same.

Both were more than sufficient.

To ALL- Thank you tons!!

Bridget and Peter- I'm beginning to agree... a most impossible question!! I'm getting so many opinions that my mind is swimming.

Yes, it will most likely be hot and unnecessary to bring a lightweight sleeping bag in June/July. I posted wrong earlier, my bag is only 1 pound 10 0z.. I was thinking it was over 2 and 10 oz. Yey, I save a pound!

My avid son-in-law hiker and suggested that I take what I had (REI light bag/liner +55) but my daughter had doubts.

I too, like some women, have my own internal heating thermostat going on these days and so am still trying to decide.. oy yoi! However, I was thinking that worse case scenario, I could sleep on top of the bag in my t shirt and shorts if need be. Plus, the bag has bottom zippers to allow for leg movement and for one's feet to breathe...

Hmmmm~ Denise

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, if we're in the territory of hormonally affected thermostats (HATs! a nice TLA) and not in the take two sweaters and add a fleece arena of Peter, I have more to contribute !
There were times, even in April, when I needed to get out of everything and lie on top. I also take an extremely light sarong made of perhaps rayon or similar. Modt of the time I use it over the pillow and the top of the mattress so that the mattress is protected when my top half is out of the sheet sleeping bag. But another use is a very light floaty covering when lying on top of the sheet sleeping bag. Also, sarong pkus polycotton bag is slightly warmer if necessary. A t shirt also makes a pillow case in this scenario!

I have walked in May/June: in June/July: and end of August/September.
In May/June I took a light sleeping bag (Colibri - 600g) and was pleased for it in the high places and cold places (San Juan de Ortega monastery is an ice-box!)
The other times I've only used a silk sleeping-bag liner - 180gr - and only on a few occaisons did I need a blanket. In the one place where there were no blankets, I wore extra clothing and put my ALTUS raincoat over me as well. That kept me warm!

:? Hi All,
There is a lot of talk about sleeping bags, but does anyone use a wuss mat?? Being so busy during june and july, there may be no room at the inn! If i bunk outside i like to have more than a ground sheet under me. Cheers Tanya

Hello everybody, in another post I read that in some albergues you can not sleep in your sleepingbag directly on a matress. Does this mean that you always have to take a sheet to cover the matress, or did I understand this message wrong? And a liner... I have seen some ( I think) off silk to use inside your sleepingbag. Am I understanding this the right way?

Greetings from Holland

Hello everybody, in another post I read that in some albergues you can not sleep in your sleepingbag directly on a matress. Does this mean that you always have to take a sheet to cover the matress, or did I understand this message wrong? And a liner... I have seen some ( I think) off silk to use inside your sleepingbag. Am I understanding this the right way?

Greetings from Holland

I have never heard or found that you couldn't put your sleeping bag directly on the matress. If you are lucky, you will find that the albergue has a bottom fitted sheet, which is changed on a rotation system (ie. not every day). Some albergues now are using disposable bottom sheets. If you have the possibility, take you sleeping bag outside in the morning and give it a good shake and leave it to air out while you are getting yourself prepared. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i use 2 separate travel sheets, one is a cocoon nylon liner, it's really cheap, 9 bucks and i use it if i need to sleep on the ground or for added insulation. the other is a cotton allersac , about 50 bucks, very good quality and zippered. i use it for comfort because it breathes well and it's easy to wash. the cotton does take a little longer to dry. i find if i use them together they make a warm , moisture resistant bag but if it's too warm i just use the allersac. together they weigh about 2 pounds. one added feature of the allersac is it's made to be a protective barrier from critters like scabies so it's got a long zipper and pocket for a pillow .

Hi there, I started from SJPP in April and took my silk liner and a light weight sleeping bag, so glad I did! Many of the municipal hostals do not have blankets and they would not have been warm enough anyway. The weather turned really nasty and it was such a relief to get into my sleeping bag at night. I was with a dutch couple for a time who had not brought a sleeping bags with them and I know that they regretted that decision. Hope this helps, I researched this subject on this blog before I went and found the information on it really useful! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
like most pilgrims, i will be avoining the hard core mid winter and mid summer
so walking on the season fringes will by its nature involve some heat and some cold
and i do not like being cold
so for me the solution is
a Roman Palm 1 sleeping bag (essentially a "one season and weighing in at 500g)
and a sea to summit inner called a reactor plus thermolite liner - weighs 263g
the liner raises the bag temp by 11deg C

Have you bought the Roman Palm 1 yet? I personallly did not like the synthetic feel of it, there was something unsnuggly about it and I never looked forward to " hitting the sack" unlike my macpac down bag, which weighs 20 grams less than the palm 1, only 480 grams, but is a lot more comforting and the fabric is more pleasant against the skin. The liner you have is a good thing, I have seen one. You probably will not need both, but take both if you feel the cold. I did the Camino in May/June 2006 and Le Puy route in September 2008 and I was never cold in either the Palm 1 or leightweight down bag. Most of the time I had the zip open and legs sticking out.Gitti

hay Gitti
thanks for looking out for me
the Macpac bag looks great
i can almost feel what you mean by the comfy fabric
one of the things i liked about the Roman Palm was the wide footbox
and i see the Macpac has the mummy tapered footbox
must admit turning over in my sleep needs to be a gentle affair
and a narrow foot area makes me feel restricted
and i suppose the full zipper allowing 2 to be joined was appealing
i can see why you need no inner with the Macpac
it's so difficult making informed sleeping bag choices for summer, now that winter is arriving in Cape Town
take it easy
tamtamplin

Thank you for your reply Tamtampln. I hate restricted feet too and mostly have the bottom of my bag unzipped. Once I was a little cold and just wore my merino long sleeve over my bamboo t shirt, which was fine. All the best with your decision making. Here is a copy of my packing list.
I will use a different backpack next time though, probably on of the Osprey range, much lighter and super comfy. Gitti

Attachments

• Camino Packing List Recommendations (1).doc
    27 KB · Views: 190
I walked in April/May with a lightweight sleeping bag (c500g) - next time, outside of winter, I'd go with a silk liner (c130g) and, if cold, wear some of my extra clothes - HH thermal underwear and/or icebreaker vest

CAn I ask what brand of silk liner weighs 30 grams, the lightest I found weighs 100 grams, much appreciated, Gitti

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between a sleeping bag and a sleeping sack? I have spent hours in a very good, reputable retail outlet today but there are so many choices!! The guy in the store advised against a sleeping bag liner indicating it would probably not be warm enough (I must admit I do like to be warm at night). There is a small sized sleeping bag at 800g costing £20 - would this be the best or is a liner sufficient? I am leaving from Tui on 21st June.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, a sleep sack is a sleeping bag liner ( they vary from silk to down filled and there is a huge temp variation in that)and you will need a blanket in addition most nights for the silk ones and not all albergues have them. It is best to take a down filled sleeping bag liner or a lightweight sleeping bag for Spain and the lightest weight down liner suitable for summer is the Macpac down bag at 480 grams.
The lightest synthetic sleeping bag is the Roman Palm 1 at 500 grams, but I prefer the Macpac down liner. Hope this makes sense. If you are not fussed about the weight, the bag you mention at 800 grams sounds fine.
Make sure it has a hood type end as the pillows don't get recovered that regularly and if it does not take a silk or other lightweight pillow case.
Gitti

so the debate continues
and the weather changes
a friend (! go Mona) is on VDLP at the moment
its 12 June and in the middle of summer
in the higher parts of Galicia
yesteday at Lubian there was driving rain,
it was bitterly cold,
she was drenched through and freezing
there was snow on the ground
a state of emergency was declared
the mountain was impassible
they were redirected off the path onto the road
so ask again
? whats the best
! sleeping bag or sack
? better to be prepared

Yuk, sounds like the kind of night you sleep in all your clothes.....Gitti

What you walk in, and what you sleep in, are different. Cold outside temperatures do not mean cold sleeping temperatures. Snow in June will not last long on the ground. Pilgrims raise the dormitory temperature under all conditions. Almost all places have blankets. Even if you prepare for cold walking, a warm sleeping bag may not be necessary at night.

Hi all,

I am also beginning to wonder...will be leaving SJPP on July 3rd and bought a silk liner thinking that that would be enough. Not only the weather but also the crowds are starting to make me wonder if I should bring a sleeping bag in case the refugios are packed.

Hope someone replies :?

Cheers,
LT

Personally I would always take a light sleeping bag that zips right down for the Spanish bit, yes it does get hot in dorms at night and often I just covered myself across the middle and had my legs sticking out, a silk liner would have driven me mad as I would have felt trapped. A couple of times it was cold and damp at night and I would have hated to have used the matted grubby blanket that happened to be provided that night and was glad for my sleeping bag with my own little bit of grubbyness. Personal preferences I guess. Gitti

I'm with you Gitti. This year we had liners (sacks) with us. Circumstances meant we actually used hostals and pensions that were well provided with blankets. However we had such cold weather that even then we sometimes needed to wear our extra layers in bed. For our Camino next year, May again, we have already bought lightweight mummy sleeping bags with hoods. One is equivelant weight to both liners. We plan to leave the liners and take just the bags. As Gitti says we can sleep on, in or part inside them. They unzip nearly to the feet and for a couple can also be zipped together to make a double provided you buy a 'left' and 'right'.
All a matter of personal preference and need of warmth etc.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.