• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping Bag or Sleeping Sack in Sep /Oct ?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Camino Frances (2014), Camino Norte (Oct 2018)
Do I need to bring a sleeping bag in sep/oct or is a sleeping sack with blankets from the hostels enough?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have twice walked in September and both times took only a sleeping bag liner. Last year was very warm and although 2007 was a bit cooler, I managed with the bag and albergue blankets.

sillydoll said:
I have twice walked in September and both times took only a sleeping bag liner. Last year was very warm and although 2007 was a bit cooler, I managed with the bag and albergue blankets.

I'm a complete novice and reading everything and making lists... this is very helpful, thank you.
I'm aiming to walk through July into August... a sleeping bag liner it is for me too then... I'm aiming to get my bag as light as possible :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from SJPdP on Sept. 23, 2011 arrived in SdC on Oct, 19, 2011, the weather was perfect. I packed a silk sleeping bag liner and a cotton one, most nights one or the other was all that was needed. It was very easy to repack them in the mornings in tight quarters.

Most albergues have a ruling that pilgrims must bring a 'sack' so that they don't sleep directly on the albergue's matresses cover or base sheet.
I've seen people with a double bed sheet and wrap themeselves in it but a silk liner weighs less (under 200g), is warm when it is cold and cool when it is hot. I sleep like a star-fish so prefer a rectangle bag to a mummy shaped bag.

A liner should be fine. If you get cold go to bed in the clean clothes that you intend to wear while walking the next day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is good news that people are saying a sack is ok. I was thinking I'd need to get a bag but I didn't want the bulk and I thought on cold nights I could sleep in my clothes, wrap up in my sarong and poncho for extra warmth. I think the poncho especially would keep me toasty...

vagabondette said:
This is good news that people are saying a sack is ok. I was thinking I'd need to get a bag but I didn't want the bulk and I thought on cold nights I could sleep in my clothes, wrap up in my sarong and poncho for extra warmth. I think the poncho especially would keep me toasty...

Yuk, can see you sweating in bed, take a yeti bag 400 odd grams(very small), wear clothes too if necessary, but poncho oh no :roll:, it's fun to work out our own requirements, good luck, David

One cold night can take days to catch-up sleep on........

I was actually thinking the poncho would only be a blanket if absolutely needed and easily removed if I get too hot. I looked up yeti bags. Seems they're only located in Germany and as I'm in Mexico that's not really an option. Plus, I'm trying to keep costs for new gear at a minimum. I have a great, ultra-light down bag that I spent $200+ on in storage in Chicago, not dropping a bunch of money on a new one. I was actually just looking at fleece liners and they might be the ticket. $16 on Amazon and weights about a pound (http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Stratus-F ... 1MQFQTKB6E). Then I won't have to worry about being cold. We'll see. Once I'm back in the US I can spend some time in the outdoor stores seeing what's out there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
yes cost is a big factor, my macpac down bag is 20yrs old, just washed for first time, will outlast me, so yes you are right, still £10 a year.....

I have just returned from a Sept/Oct camino walk. I took a synthetic-fill sleeping bag rated to 10C, and it was the only item of equipment that I felt was a big mistake. It was seasonably chilly outside, especially in the mountain areas toward the end of October, but I absolutely sweltered in the albergues and wished that I had brought a silk liner instead. On the one or two occasions that extra warmth may be needed, one could easily don extra clothes (long underwear, long-sleeved pullover) or simply use one of the albergue blankets, which were always available. There are ways to get warm if you're cold, but there is no way to cool down except to unzip your bag and expose your tender flesh to the night air and, perhaps, bedbugs. I was bitten by bedbugs on one occasion. I would definitely take a silk liner if I were to go again.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back