• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or thermolite liner±silk liner ?

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Primitivo in Sept this year 2019
Sleeping bag or thermolite liner±silk liner ? I'll be leaving Porto on May 8 to walk the coastal/central/spiritual route to Santiago. And then on to Finisterre/Muxia/Santiago. I'm undecided about taking my sleeping bag. I walked the Camino Primitivo in Sept 2019 and didn't take a sleeping bag on that trip, but being prior to COVID, many Albergues had blankets, which occasionally I used. Any suggestions, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Click on the tag "sleeping bag" that has been placed under the title at the top of the post. You will get the whole range of opinions, and can pick the one that suits you! :p
Thank you. Gosh, I do realise that it's really up to me, as most of the comments imply. My sleeping bag weighs 600g which is why I'd rather leave it behind😅. But now I'm rethinking that.......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you. Gosh, I do realise that it's really up to me, as most of the comments imply. My sleeping bag weighs 600g which is why I'd rather leave it behind😅. But now I'm rethinking that.......

That's quite a light weight bag. The lightest I could find for my own use, by way of comparison was 463 gms.
How heavy is your pack overall?
Maybe leave something else out?

My sleeping bag weighs 768g. I walked the CF in the fall of 2015 with it. I’d bring it again. It was comforting at the end of the day to slip into my own sleeping bag.
Thank you tomnorth. I like " It was comforting at the end of the day to slip into my own......"
I'm leaning more and more in favour of taking it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's quite a light weight bag. The lightest I could find for my own use, by way of comparison was 463 gms.
My pack weighed roughly 7kg when I did the Primitivo in 2019, without my sleeping bag. I'm planning on taking pretty much the same items this time. I don't think I can leave anything out 😩

463gms - which bag are you using if you don't mind me asking, please?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My pack weighed roughly 7kg when I did the Primitivo in 2019, without my sleeping bag. I'm planning on taking pretty much the same items this time. I don't think I can leave anything out 😩

Maybe take another look. My bag is 6.5 kg all up including sleeping bag.
Not including food and water. But it includes 800 gms + of medical gear I need.
My wife's is about 5.5 kg.....
You can always leave stuff out..... ;)

463gms - which bag are you using if you don't mind me asking, please?
I totally missed the point that this was about sleeping bags 🤣 Nevertheless I will leave my original reply : On my upcoming Primitivo I will be testing a pack from the Skalmo outdoor gear line from Northern Sweden. They are really light and made for bad weather hiking in the area.
The Sarek - Ilforsen 40L backpack (30 to 48 liters) for example weighs between 320 and 420 gms depending on the material you chose.

I never went that light, will find out if it will be robust enough for how I treat my gear ;-)

Last edited:
On my upcoming Primitivo I will be testing a pack from the Skalmo outdoor gear line from Northern Sweden. They are really light and made for bad weather hiking in the area.
The Sarek - Ilforsen 40L backpack (30 to 48 liters) for example weighs between 320 and 420 gms depending on the material you chose.

I never went that light, will find out if it will be robust enough for how I treat my gear ;-)
The 463 gms is my sleeping bag.
i Would never use a ‘pack’ that light.
mine is 1.3 kgs
I like the structure, airspeed back, we’ll padded straps and hip belt…..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Robo, I'll have to reassess - I will take the sleeping bag, so something will have to go 🙏

In May on the CP (no mountains) I too would be tempted by the thermolite plus silk liner (I have and love my thermolite) but only if I had some warm layers in my pack. If I was on a higher altitude route in May I would definitely take a sleeping bag but on the CP i would maybe roll the dice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 463 gms is my sleeping bag.
i Would never use a ‘pack’ that light.
mine is 1.3 kgs
I like the structure, airspeed back, we’ll padded straps and hip belt…..
Haha, I was totally in the wrong movie 🙈🤣 … sorry.
I habe various backpacks, but for anything below 7 kg I do not need the heavier ones. Those I reserve for 15 kg or 30 kg. However this lightweight as I am trying now is a first for me.

An Enlightened Equipment Revelation 850 fill down quilt in Regular length/Regular width is around 15 oz/448gms.
There are plenty of other good quilt manufacturers as well. The EE is just one example.
A quilt may be the "sweet spot" for you.

I’ve had the same question, Thermolite plus silk sleep bag. I’ve just bought a new sleeping bag, Mont Zero 230, not cheap but will be worth it & ‘comforting’ at the end of the day. I start from Seville at end March & expect some cool nights.
I walked from Seville starting in March and was glad to have my down sleeping bag. Some nights were quite cold. Plus, with spring rains, plentiful as they were the year I walked, it felt even colder. And the further north you get, the cooler the temperatures. March isn’t summer in that part of the country yet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ruchira, I am are also doing the CP - from Lisbon - leaving May 14 and are also thinking of just a silk liner with a thermolite one inside it instead of my down 7 degree celsius sleeping bag which was mostly too warm on previous caminos. Also thinking of a small down blanket which others have suggested - 7 weeks to decide! Bom Caminho😊

Instead of a sleeping bag or quilt, consider whether a thermal top and bottom set would work sufficiently for colder nights (inside the liner) in May; they should weigh significantly less. Your jacket and/or poncho could form the top ‘blanket’.

I have a cut-down down quilt, but different things work for different people….

Instead of a sleeping bag or quilt, consider whether a thermal top and bottom set would work sufficiently for colder nights (inside the liner) in May; they should weigh significantly less. Your jacket and/or poncho could form the top ‘blanket’.

I have a cut-down down quilt, but different things work for different people….
Thank you! When I did the Primitivo I took my top and bottom thermal set + my thermolite + my silk liner. I only used the thermals a couple of times. I'm considering that combo again as it would save me roughly 200g in weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ruchira, I am are also doing the CP - from Lisbon - leaving May 14 and are also thinking of just a silk liner with a thermolite one inside it instead of my down 7 degree celsius sleeping bag which was mostly too warm on previous caminos. Also thinking of a small down blanket which others have suggested - 7 weeks to decide! Bom Caminho😊
Hi Leslie,
I'm leaving from Porto on May 7. Happy packing and Bom Camino 🚶😃

In May on the CP (no mountains) I too would be tempted by the thermolite plus silk liner (I have and love my thermolite) but only if I had some warm layers in my pack. If I was on a higher altitude route in May I would definitely take a sleeping bag but on the CP i would maybe roll the dice.
Thanks roving_rufus. I'm reconsidering all options (again 😅)

You and your wife are an inspiration!! 5.5kg......😳

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I totally missed the point that this was about sleeping bags 🤣 Nevertheless I will leave my original reply : On my upcoming Primitivo I will be testing a pack from the Skalmo outdoor gear line from Northern Sweden. They are really light and made for bad weather hiking in the area.

LOL I was referring to the sleeping bag as I knew Rob was from Australia and sometimes UL equipment can be hard to find for us and there is always new stuff coming out on the market. Watching grams is huge for me as I have some bone degeneration in my upper back hence the importance. Buen Camino :)

Haha, I was totally in the wrong movie 🙈🤣 … sorry.
I habe various backpacks, but for anything below 7 kg I do not need the heavier ones. Those I reserve for 15 kg or 30 kg. However this lightweight as I am trying now is a first for me.
I have the same sleeping bag as Robo, the Sea to Summit TR I, and my pack is 550g.
The basic weight is under 5 kg
Last year, on the Camino Portugues, I had a 42L backpack and it was too big.
I forgot to mention, this year I will do the Camino Primitivo starting on May 20.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.