• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag question

Jawad

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello,

I am a big guy, and I recently bought a rectangular sleeping bag for my camino in May. However, when I tuck my hands in it, its becomes too small and uncomfortable otherwise it is okay. I figured that my hands should be on the inside to keep me warm so i should return it or are my hands supposed to be on the outside?
Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I may be foolish but I’m stating 19th April and only taking a bag liner. If it get a bit chilly I will put a layer of clothes on and if it’s cold I will buy a bag on route. But … looking at temperatures a liner should be fine …. I think

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you a side sleeper? I generally have one arm in one arm out out.I more than not also sleep with a long sleeve shirt. I guess it's the individual.

Hello,

I am a big guy, and I recently bought a rectangular sleeping bag for my camino in May. However, when I tuck my hands in it, its becomes too small and uncomfortable otherwise it is okay. I figured that my hands should be on the inside to keep me warm so i should return it or are my hands supposed to be on the outside?
Thank you

Have you considered unzipping it all the way and just using it as a top quilt? If it doesn't unzip all the way, maybe unzip it as much as it can and use it as a sleeping quilt? If you're sleeping in albergues, you should be on a bed/mattress where you shouldn't need the sleeping bag to be under you for warmth.

Personally, I dont like sleeping in sleeping bags as I feel too confirned. It doesn't allow for all the movements one does naturally while sleeping.

I would say return it and buy a larger one. It is possible to buy both longer and wider sleeping bags.
Don’t compromise on it, if it ain’t right change it whilst it’s still returnable.
A two season bag will be fine. You may not use it everyday but you’ll have it if you need it.
That’s

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a sleeping bag big enough for you.
Your hands are supposed to go on the inside. You are supposed to totally curl up inside. Some even have drawstrings so you can close it around your face with your whole body inside.
Your sleeping bag is one of the small, creature comforts you can choose, and you need to take care of your body.
I dislike mummy bags (I've written about that in the past on this Forum), and I get all tangled up in a rectangular bag. I have recently found a bag designed for people who sleep on their side and it solves the problems for me. I can finally get a good night's sleep in a sleeping bag,

I double Ghost Rydurrrr: Use it as a quilt. Zip the foot-end to have a footbox and use the rest as
a blanket. You save money and weight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
are my hands supposed to be
There is no "supposed to". Do you sleep with your arms inside or outside your blanket at home? Are your arms warm enough? Some people like to stick their feet out, so they should get a bag that unzips from the bottom and allows that. If the bag only fits from your feet up to your waist, it might be fine if you have a nice down jacket to wear. Seriously, you need to figure out how to be comfortable sleeping.

I’m feeling rather mellow this evening, and I’ve carefully counted down from 100 whilst focussing on my breathing. However ..

I’ve met all kinds of people on Camino over the last decade from super-fit racing snakes to those built more for comfort than speed; from obsessive gram-counters to those who equipped themselves in a hurry from a garage-sale whilst evading their live-in carers. In every case, by the grace of God and the help of their fellow Peregrinos, all made it to Santiago eventually. Nobody died and nothing caught fire.

There’s always going to be one.

This thread (and I add my somewhat incredulous best-wishes to the OP) defies my experience.

In the course of a varied career I spent a few years as chief spear-carrier to a succession of expat American vice presidents of Pepsi. They were all Texans, and fine people, but they shared a common mind-set. They were culturally disinclined to ever accept that when something went wrong they might actually have the slightest culpability for the outcome.

The greatest challenge was usually explaining how roundabouts work; which is surprisingly difficult when you think about it.

On one memorable occasion the incoming VP (let’s call him Fred, because that was his name) was only given one thing to do in his relocation: get the family dog to the UK alive. Mrs Fred, his long suffering but delightful wife, sorted out the trivia of children, housing, visas and food.

Fred explained that he speed-read the instructions and had a vague recollection that the hound had to arrive at Fort Worth in a suitable shipping crate; which he duly purchased.

He deposited dog and crate at the appropriate check-in and flew over to where Mrs. Fred’s trivial responsibilities had been discharged to perfection. He then found that all had not gone according to plan and the pooch was still in Dallas.

‘Stupid dog was too big for the crate’; was the best he could come up with.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you
You may not need a sleeping bag. I use a silk sleeping bag liner and blankets are generally provided in the albergues. Unless you feel the cold, you should be ok with a liner....will lighten your pack also.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m feeling rather mellow this evening, and I’ve carefully counted down from 100 whilst focussing on my breathing. However ..

I’ve met all kinds of people on Camino over the last decade from super-fit racing snakes to those built more for comfort than speed; from obsessive gram-counters to those who equipped themselves in a hurry from a garage-sale whilst evading their live-in carers. In every case, by the grace of God and the help of their fellow Peregrinos, all made it to Santiago eventually. Nobody died and nothing caught fire.

There’s always going to be one.

This thread (and I add my somewhat incredulous best-wishes to the OP) defies my experience.

In the course of a varied career I spent a few years as chief spear-carrier to a succession of expat American vice presidents of Pepsi. They were all Texans, and fine people, but they shared a common mind-set. They were culturally disinclined to ever accept that when something went wrong they might actually have the slightest culpability for the outcome.

The greatest challenge was usually explaining how roundabouts work; which is surprisingly difficult when you think about it.

On one memorable occasion the incoming VP (let’s call him Fred, because that was his name) was only given one thing to do in his relocation: get the family dog to the UK alive. Mrs Fred, his long suffering but delightful wife, sorted out the trivia of children, housing, visas and food.

Fred explained that he speed-read the instructions and had a vague recollection that the hound had to arrive at Fort Worth in a suitable shipping crate; which he duly purchased.

He deposited dog and crate at the appropriate check-in and flew over to where Mrs. Fred’s trivial responsibilities had been discharged to perfection. He then found that all had not gone according to plan and the pooch was still in Dallas.

‘Stupid dog was too big for the crate’; was the best he could come up with.
As always, Henrythedog, I delight in reading your writing.
Lesson learned: always get the dog crate to fit the dog/sleeping bag to fit the sleeper.

I too am a big person. I have a silk liner from Sea to Summit that has stretch panels all down the sides. I also have a fake-down quilt for inside the liner (no, it’s not long enough but I wear layers to bed!). There is just enough room for me to snuggle down inside and I can move my legs without being constrained.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.