Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Recommended?

Cheryl Schmidt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (May 2015)
Hi - we're planning on hiking the primitive route in May, and are debating the sleeping bag issue. Do we need them? Do the albergues all provide bedding? Are they a good idea? Or is that just an extra pound that could instead be another pair of pants...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cheryl, this is a much debated issue on this forum, and a search would reveal the variety of opinion on the subject. You might want to clarify whether you want to know about albergues or hostals - they are different types of accommodation on the Camino.

I have walked in Apr and early May, mainly using albergues. Not all albergues had blankets, but hostals always did. I carried a +5 deg C bag and would do so again at that time of year.

... Or is that just an extra pound that could instead be another pair of pants...

What @dougfitz said plus: Don't replace a saved pound, no matter what it is, with something else that you 'might need' a saved pound is a pound less, not a pound to be replaced :D Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi - we're planning on hiking the primitive route in May, and are debating the sleeping bag issue. Do we need them? Do the hostels all provide bedding? Are they a good idea? Or is that just an extra pound that could instead be another pair of pants...

For what it's worth I walked the Frances, Muxia, Finisterre routes last year starting from StJPDP late May. I used a silk bag liner and don't recall being cold on any night.

There were blankets available in every municipal Albergue and I stayed in.

The coldest I ever felt when walking was on a few early mornings at altitude.

I too am walking the Primitivo around the same time as you. Based on my experience last year I will use the silk liner again, with the thought in mind that if I need to I'll sleep with some clothes on or use a blanket if available.

Good thing is, it's a Camino, so, I won't know if I will need to until it happens, if it does;).

Like someone on here once said regarding the weather (Falcon I think), "the weather will be the same as last year but on different days":p

Maybe go with the 'lightest' sense of adventure on this one Cheryl?

Buen Camino

We'll be on the Primitivo in May and we are taking lightweight quilts.

Cheryl, this is a much debated issue on this forum, and a search would reveal the variety of opinion on the subject. You might want to clarify whether you want to know about albergues or hostals - they are different types of accommodation on the Camino.

I have walked in Apr and early May, mainly using albergues. Not all albergues had blankets, but hostals always did. I carried a +5 deg C bag and would do so again at that time of year.
Good point - I meant Albergue - I just tend to think of them as hostels!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Although not May, I walked the Primitivo the beginning of October last year with my sleeping bag and I would definitely recommend taking one. (I can't really answer the question about blankets because I was never looking for one, but I can't recall moving any off the bunk for my sleeping bag).

Buen Camino!

Kat

Thanks all for your replies - I think we will buy and bring very lightweight bags - I can't imagine anything worse than lying and shivering unable to sleep all night for lack of a warm bedding.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For what it's worth I walked the Frances, Muxia, Finisterre routes last year starting from StJPDP late May. I used a silk bag liner and don't recall being cold on any night.

There were blankets available in every municipal Albergue and I stayed in.

The coldest I ever felt when walking was on a few early mornings at altitude.

I too am walking the Primitivo around the same time as you. Based on my experience last year I will use the silk liner again, with the thought in mind that if I need to I'll sleep with some clothes on or use a blanket if available.

Good thing is, it's a Camino, so, I won't know if I will need to until it happens, if it does;).

Like someone on here once said regarding the weather (Falcon I think), "the weather will be the same as last year but on different days":p

Maybe go with the 'lightest' sense of adventure on this one Cheryl?

Buen Camino

thanks John - I thought of the "clothing" option, but as I said below, I think we'll take very light sleeping bags. Perhaps we'll see you on the trail.

I will be leaving two days after you and will bring a light sleepingbag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back