• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag versus blanket?

JakeBurgess

Hey. I'll be doing El Camino Frances during June for 3 weeks. My sleeping bag is quite bulky, and I am thinking about just taking a blanket to sleep in instead, for it will be lighter and smaller.

I'm from Scotland, so I think it will be more than sufficient for warmth - has anyone done the same, or can advise if it will be particularly warm/cold in the Albergues?

Buen Camino!
Jake

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Summertime...in Spain can be quite warm actually and many albergues do provide extra blankets, go for a sleeping bag liner, basically a sheet in the shape of your sleeping bag and it you need it take a blanket from the albergue-the liner is good insulation from a plastic mattress cover and minimal protection against mosquitoes bedbugs and midges. They can be quite expensive if you go for silk or some of the synthetic fibres, cotton is a better value and may take longer to dry when washed but never develops that weird smell that synthetics always grow.

Hi Jake!

Don't take a blanket. If it's got any warmth in it, it would probably be bigger than your sleeping bag anyway. Albergues often (though not always) have blankets, so if you want to cut corners just take a sleeping bag liner rather than a bag.

I'd recommend a proper sleeping bag though. Mine's bigger than I'd like but I comfortably fitted it into my 35+8litre pack for my most recent Camino. It should be fine.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't take my sleeping bag either in April for the same reasons, weight and bulk, and didn't have cause to regret my decision despite the cold weather with the use of a blanket on top of the liner I took. I actually took a rectangular (rather than mummy shaped) XXL size liner which I picked up cheap in Blacks' sale and the extra width proved a real bonus because of the ability to move around inside it.

Not all albergues offer blankets and some of the larger municipales may charge you 2 Euros to use one. By taking a (cooler) liner you will be unlikely to need a blanket in the summer.

Not all albergues offer blankets
I have stayed in hundreds of albergues, and they all had blankets except Leon. Sometimes you have to ask.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back