• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag versus puffy blanket

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
There are endless posts here about sleeping bags, I know. But they mostly seem to be weighing the pros and cons of a sleeping bag versus a sleeping bag liner. I, on the other hand, am weighing the pros/cons of a sleeping bag versus a puffy blanket (or whatever you choose to call it). A blanket - either filled with goose down or some other product - that is just a simply a blanket with no zippers etc.

The sleeping bag would of course be warmer, but I'm thinking of the weight and bulk of it, and assuming that a blanket will be lighter and less bulky. A blanket will also be cheaper.

I will be walking the CF starting mid-May next year. So potentially some chilly days/nights at the beginning, but theoretically it should get warmer and warmer as the weeks go by.

Any downsides to a puffy blanket rather than a sleeping bag that I might not have thought of? And why does there seem to be so little discussion of this option? Perhaps I should be looking at a sleeping bag liner versus a puffy blanket. In that case which do you prefer?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps consider this:

Sleeping bags were originally intended to be used outdoors or in a tent and not inside a building on a domestic bed mattress.
When you climb into a sleeping bag you crush the insulation beneath you rendering it less efficient.
Does your domestic bedding arrangement include additional (to the mattress) insulation/heating below you or are you content with just the sheets/blankets/quilt on top of you?

Historic data for temperatures in Pamplona in May gives us this

1660735526917.png
if we say that the temperature inside a building at night is the daily average then it might vary over the month from 12 degrees to 16 degrees - totally unscientific I know but I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for something - so in mid-May the indoor, night time temperature may well be 14 degrees.

If you had a night time temperature in Vancouver of 14 would you feel the need for a sleeping bag or a down quilt (assuming on your own bed, no other bedclothes and windows shut)?

Just wondering.

Of course you could always compromise and take a lightweight sleeping bag but leave it unzipped and use it as a quilt . . . . very Canadian, eh? 💕 🇨🇦 😉

There are endless posts here about sleeping bags, I know. But they mostly seem to be weighing the pros and cons of a sleeping bag versus a sleeping bag liner. I, on the other hand, am weighing the pros/cons of a sleeping bag versus a puffy blanket (or whatever you choose to call it). A blanket - either filled with goose down or some other product - that is just a simply a blanket with no zippers etc.

The sleeping bag would of course be warmer, but I'm thinking of the weight and bulk of it, and assuming that a blanket will be lighter and less bulky. A blanket will also be cheaper.

I will be walking the CF starting mid-May next year. So potentially some chilly days/nights at the beginning, but theoretically it should get warmer and warmer as the weeks go by.

Any downsides to a puffy blanket rather than a sleeping bag that I might not have thought of? And why does there seem to be so little discussion of this option? Perhaps I should be looking at a sleeping bag liner versus a puffy blanket. In that case which do you prefer?
One of the key reasons I went with a down quilt over a sleeping bag was constriction over the long haul. While I already owned a lightweight down sleeping bag, it was a mummy bag with a closed toe box. And I figured being in a mummy bag for a month or more wasn’t my preference. If I couldn’t spend the extra money on buying a down quilt, I would have just packed my mummy bag and it would have been fine too. But I could shell out the extra cash and decided to treat myself.

I have a lightweight quilt and love it because it's always kept me warm. I prefer this system instead of a sleeping bag when I have a bed at night. Also, I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack - which is lined and it takes very little room. Enlightened Equipment is my favorite brand and they have both synthetic and down lightweight quilts for different temperatures. It's definitely an investment, but it's worth every penny and in the long run it is a very wise investment;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

If you'll be sleeping on beds a puffy blanket or quilt should be fine, but you still might want a thin liner or sheet to cover the surfaces that might not be sufficiently clean. Also available are sleeping bags with full length zippers that, when fully opened, can function as quilts - depending upon their temperature rating, these can weigh 1.5lb. or less.

I liked the ability to treat my sleep sak with permethrin. They make really lightweight linerbags for hostelling. Some of the beds I slept on were skeezy such as very dusty and dirty. Glad I had my bag.

Last edited:
I have a lightweight quilt and love it because it's always kept me warm. I prefer this system instead of a sleeping bag when I have a bed at night. Also, I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack - which is lined and it takes very little room. Enlightened Equipment is my favorite brand and they have both synthetic and down lightweight quilts for different temperatures. It's definitely an investment, but it's worth every penny and in the long run it is a very wise investment;-)

What are the dimensions of your blankets?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are the dimensions of your blankets?
I have a regular size and this is what it measures:
- Length: 78"
- Shoulder Width: 54"
- Foot Width: 40"

This is the one I have:

It really depends where you intend to sleep. If you’re in private Albergues you won’t need to carry any bedding at all, some may disagree..

I switched from sleeping bag to quilt for all out and about sleeping and really enjoyed the switch. Toasty warm and less restrictive. There are pop studs at the toe end if you want a bit more structure. For the Camino I use a liner. Last year I treated myself to a silk liner which is really good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll stick to my sleeping bag. Let me rephrase that, I'll continue to use my sleeping bag. It not only insulates me from the cool night air but it insulates whatever I'm sleeping on from me. I'm sure future occupants of my bunk will / would appreciate that even though they will never be aware of my sacrifice.

I might ask why further complicate an already complicated life: where can I sleep, eat, wash myself and rinse my kecks by spending time sewing pop studs to fluffies and trying not to roll-over at night?

I know that the average Camino is scarcely an arctic environment (though try Rabanal in November ;)) but I'm always minded:

On the outside grows the furside; on the inside grows the skinside. So the furside is the outside, and the skinside is the inside. One side likes the skinside inside, and the furside on the outside. Others like the skinside outside, and the furside on the inside. If you turn the skinside outside, thinking you will side with that side, then the soft side, furside's inside, which, some argue, is the wrong side. If you turn the furside outside, as, you say, it grows on that side, then your outside's next the skinside, which for comfort's not the right side. For the skinside is the cold side, and your outside's not your warm side. And two cold sides side by side are not right-side when side to side! If you decide to side with that side, turn the topside furside inside. Then the cold side furside skinside, beyond all question, inside out!

Herbert Ponting F.R.P.S. : The sleeping bag, a poem.

We are leaving Monday and I deliberated on this same issue and ultimately I bought a silk liner and a 50° SeatoSummit Traveler sleeping bag/blanket It has a side zip and a drawstring cinch at the bottom so it can be used as either a bag or a blanket. They make it in a 30° option as well. Without the stuff sack it weighs about 15oz. I LOVE it. Alternatively, my daughter got this Get Out Gear Down Camping Blanket and it weighs 1.1lbs with the stuff sack. I am very impressed with the quality. She is using a silk/cotton sleeping bag liner - we will both put the bag/blanket in the liner. If it’s too hot we simply won’t use one of the layers. I’m not too sure on the weather for May. Buen Camino!

I carried a Mountains Hardware 35/50 Flip sleeping bag. It did unzip to become a blanket but I found that sleeping on paper sheets or rubber mattress covers directly was a bit icky. I usually unzipped it most way but still had it under me for that reason. For mid-Sept to November - it was too hot - especially since windows are not generally opened in albergue rooms even when full of toasty pilgrims. :) A very light sleep sheet, perhaps with a zipper for ease of entry/exit would be much better IMHO.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2 caminos ago I lost my very expensive ultra light sea and sky zip open to flat blanket sleeping bag. Before I replaced it I did the same thinking you are doing and debated the pros and cons for me. So for my last Camino I went with a fluffy throw from Target, A$10 and the light cotton sarong that I also use as my towel, scarf, picnic blanket, privacy screen. It dries in no time. I use the sarong on the bottom and the blanket on top. I chose this combination as it was lightweight and don’t like the restriction of a sleeping bag or the rustling sound it makes when I turn. The fluffy blanket hugs close to my body. In a dry sac it also makes a great seat or pillow. Special note, I am 5 foot 3. It makes a difference. Neither the throw or sarong would work for a tall person.

It's a little harder to reach in to steal your valuables while sleeping in a zipped up bag.

I have not read most of these posts, but know we all come from our own experience. I always bring my rather thin lightweight, inexpensive Naturehike brand sleeping bag. I walk the Camino in mid-April thru May. I usually toss and turn so prefer a bag to a quilt so no waking up to find myself uncovered, plus my valuables are stashed at the bottom and safe. As late May becomes warm, I occasionally unzip my bag a bit and stick my leg out which keeps me cooler.
Although I am capable of sewing, I have no interest in cutting a down quilt to fit in a liner, nor sewing snaps or velcro to keep it from slipping if using it on the outside. I find no reason to use "two things" for a sleep system; in fact we always seem to read that every item we bring should have two uses.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2 caminos ago I lost my very expensive ultra light sea and sky zip open to flat blanket sleeping bag. Before I replaced it I did the same thinking you are doing and debated the pros and cons for me. So for my last Camino I went with a fluffy throw from Target, A$10 and the light cotton sarong that I also use as my towel, scarf, picnic blanket, privacy screen. It dries in no time. I use the sarong on the bottom and the blanket on top. I chose this combination as it was lightweight and don’t like the restriction of a sleeping bag or the rustling sound it makes when I turn. The fluffy blanket hugs close to my body. In a dry sac it also makes a great seat or pillow. Special note, I am 5 foot 3. It makes a difference. Neither the throw or sarong would work for a tall person.
a "fluffy throw from Target" - how heavy and bulky is it?

I'm about 5'9, so not very tall.

It's a little harder to reach in to steal your valuables while sleeping in a zipped up bag.
I really hope, and want to believe, that the danger of someone literally stealing something off my bed while I sleep is a very very remote possibility. Not saying there aren't terrible people everywhere, but the odds of a professional thief sleeping in the same albergue as me on the CF have to be extremely small, statistically speaking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really hope, and want to believe, that the danger of someone literally stealing something off my bed while I sleep is a very very remote possibility. Not saying there aren't terrible people everywhere, but the odds of a professional thief sleeping in the same albergue as me on the CF have to be extremely small, statistically speaking.
The risk is low, but in the past there have been thieves that work with partners - one pretends to be a pilgrim, then later on lets their accomplice into the albergue, and they both take whatever is easy to steal.

a "fluffy throw from Target" - how heavy and bulky is it?

I'm about 5'9, so not very tall.
Very light and not at all bulky when stuffed into a small dry sac. About the equivalent of the ski and sky expensive ultra light sleeping bag. I’m thrilled with it! I was walking in France and hardly ever needed it, but when you do, you do!

Very light and not at all bulky when stuffed into a small dry sac. About the equivalent of the ski and sky expensive ultra light sleeping bag. I’m thrilled with it! I was walking in France and hardly ever needed it, but when you do, you do!
Can you share the brand name or a link to the product?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I really hope, and want to believe, that the danger of someone literally stealing something off my bed while I sleep is a very very remote possibility.
I consider the Camino to be a relatively safe and secure environment. However, do not think that it is somehow removed from real life. The popular routes such as the Camino Frances have thousands of people walking without a care in the world, letting their guard down, all carrying phones and some cash, and sleeping in rooms with strangers. Occasionally, pilgrims are targets for petty thieves - at a rate that is small but it is not a statistically remote possibility!

Can you share the brand name or a link to the product?
I’m sorry, but I’ve cut the label off. I’m one of those ‘every gram counts’ obsessives. I’ll attach a photo. I just went to Target, after walking through about 3 camping goods stores, depressed at the prices and kicking myself for losing my last sleeping bag, and there it was. $10, in the bedding section. It’s nothing special, I think you could pick it up at any homewares store, and it’s perfect.2FA0248D-5CA7-42F8-9A34-4811CB30F72D.jpeg

I switched from sleeping bag to quilt for all out and about sleeping and really enjoyed the switch. Toasty warm and less restrictive. There are pop studs at the toe end if you want a bit more structure. For the Camino I use a liner. Last year I treated myself to a silk liner which is really good.
What brand quilt? And what are "pop studs at the toe"? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll stick to my sleeping bag. Let me rephrase that, I'll continue to use my sleeping bag. It not only insulates me from the cool night air but it insulates whatever I'm sleeping on from me. I'm sure future occupants of my bunk will / would appreciate that even though they will never be aware of my sacrifice.

I might ask why further complicate an already complicated life: where can I sleep, eat, wash myself and rinse my kecks by spending time sewing pop studs to fluffies and trying not to roll-over at night?

I know that the average Camino is scarcely an arctic environment (though try Rabanal in November ;)) but I'm always minded:

On the outside grows the furside; on the inside grows the skinside. So the furside is the outside, and the skinside is the inside. One side likes the skinside inside, and the furside on the outside. Others like the skinside outside, and the furside on the inside. If you turn the skinside outside, thinking you will side with that side, then the soft side, furside's inside, which, some argue, is the wrong side. If you turn the furside outside, as, you say, it grows on that side, then your outside's next the skinside, which for comfort's not the right side. For the skinside is the cold side, and your outside's not your warm side. And two cold sides side by side are not right-side when side to side! If you decide to side with that side, turn the topside furside inside. Then the cold side furside skinside, beyond all question, inside out!

Herbert Ponting F.R.P.S. : The sleeping bag, a poem.
I agree, I like having my trusted sleeping bag between me and the mattress.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I’ve walked in mid-May through the end of June (2016) and took a lightweight silk sleep sack which was perfect. Kept me warm on cool nights, but not too warm on some of the warmer nights. Best of all, it packs into a small bundle and weighs next to nothing. Years ago on my very first Camino, I brought a sleeping bag which was a mistake as it kept me way too hot at night and became quite cumbersome as an attachment to my backpack. I certainly would never consider a ‘puffy blanket’ as the added weight and lack of ventilation/drying capabilities would likely be an issue. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!😊

I walked this year (May-June) and opted for an ultra-lightweight quilt and rectangular silk liner. Usually the liner was enough (we had unusually warm temps), but for the rest of the time, the puffy quilt was perfect. I am a side sleeper and toss and turn, so the relative freedom of a rectangular liner and the quilt made for much more comfortable sleep than a mummy bag. The quilt easily packed down into a 2-qt dry bag that fit perfectly (with the silk liner) into the sleeping bag pocket of my Osprey pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked this year (May-June) and opted for an ultra-lightweight quilt and rectangular silk liner. Usually the liner was enough (we had unusually warm temps), but for the rest of the time, the puffy quilt was perfect. I am a side sleeper and toss and turn, so the relative freedom of a rectangular liner and the quilt made for much more comfortable sleep than a mummy bag. The quilt easily packed down into a 2-qt dry bag that fit perfectly (with the silk liner) into the sleeping bag pocket of my Osprey pack.
Hi Suka :)...what is the name of your quilt that you used. Thanks.

There are so many variables involved that there's no one best solution for all. Do you sleep cold, warm, on your side, do you change positions, are your head and neck sensitive to drafts? What temperature range do you expect, how clean will the sleeping surfaces be? Do you have weight and cost goals and absolute limits?

I invested in the Sea to Summit Traveler 1, which is very light and can be used as a sleeping bag or opened up as a quilt. It has no hood, so the zip can go on either side or straight down the front. I love the way the two-way zip can hold it together over the middle while letting my feet and arms out to regulate the temperature, so I am basically lying on top of it, and I can close the zips as and when I need to. I have used it as a quilt on warmer nights, but be aware that a quilt can tend to slip off your silk liner (you don't want to sleep straight on the mattress) and even off your bunk in the night! Some sort of snaps, velcro, zip or drawstring that creates a footwell helps keep the quilt in place and still leaves you less restricted. Please take either a silk/cotton liner or a sleeping bag though as a barrier to keep the albergue mattresses clean, most places have the paper sheets but not all and they don't always fit very well.

When the OP says May, I clearly remember days of sunny 25 C but mornings of Zero to two degrees centigrade. I had a thin as can be Deuter synthetic sleeping bag and there were some cold nights, only saved by the fact that as a Scandi, I always bring wool ! A liner would not have sufficed.
I am talking Albergues, monasteries, churches....
Now I have invested in the same Sea to Summit Traveller (Tr 1) sleeping quilt as in the post above, and that is so much better.

Perhaps I should be looking at a sleeping bag liner versus a puffy blanket. In that case which do you prefer?
I have carried a sleeping bag and liner on all my caminos, typically a +5degC bag. On my first camino, starting in late March, it gave me the flexibility to stay in places where I might otherwise have avoided or spent a very cold and uncomfortable night. At other times I opened the bag up and used it as a quilt, which worked well too. I'm not sure I would make much of the choice, it seems more important to have something than have to rely on an albergue having sufficient blankets. I don't think it matters too much whether it is a bag or quilt.

My recommendation is to take a treated liner if you are at all concerned about bedbugs. This year I walked a little later, starting at the end of Apr, so I considered there might have been a slightly greater risk of bedbugs being present. While I occasionally enjoyed the pleasantness of crisp cotton sheets in a b&b or hotel, I would otherwise use the liner wherever I stayed. A treated sleeping bag will also work while it is used as a bag, but as soon as it is opened up as a quilt, any protection it might have offered is reduced - with a liner, you are always covered. Just discipline yourself not to kick it off in the middle of the night!

I prefer the cozy/cocoon feeling of a sleeping bag or liner with a zipper rather than a quilt, and because I toss around while sleeping a quilt would probably end up on the floor, leaving me exposed and a bit chilly on spring nights in the albergues, most likely waking me up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I invested in the Sea to Summit Traveler 1, which is very light and can be used as a sleeping bag or opened up as a quilt. It has no hood, so the zip can go on either side or straight down the front. I love the way the two-way zip can hold it together over the middle while letting my feet and arms out to regulate the temperature, so I am basically lying on top of it, and I can close the zips as and when I need to. I have used it as a quilt on warmer nights, but be aware that a quilt can tend to slip off your silk liner (you don't want to sleep straight on the mattress) and even off your bunk in the night! Some sort of snaps, velcro, zip or drawstring that creates a footwell helps keep the quilt in place and still leaves you less restricted. Please take either a silk/cotton liner or a sleeping bag though as a barrier to keep the albergue mattresses clean, most places have the paper sheets but not all and they don't always fit very well.

i just received my Pilgrim’s passport and with it a notice about bed bugs in albergues, to check the mattresses for them before lying down, and NOT to place your backpack on the beds. Will a silk liner or a sleeping bag be a real barrier to bed bugs?

Will a silk liner or a sleeping bag be a real barrier to bed bugs?
No. If bedbugs are present they can get into a silk liner or sleeping bag the same way you do.

Many people treat their sleeping gear with permethrin, but Permethrin is not a deterrent or repellent, but after a couple of hours of exposure it will kill bedbugs. That's why I treat my sleeping gear, the inside of my backpack, and all of my cloth stuff sacks. If a bedbug gets inside my pack I don't want it coming out alive. I don't want to be the pilgrim unwittingly spreading bedbugs from Albergue to albergue. Here's a video showing how bedbugs die when in contact with permethrin.

Will a silk liner or a sleeping bag be a real barrier to bed bugs?
Not of themselves. They need to be treated with an insecticide like permethrin. Even then, the time taken for the bed bug to die might still give a bedbug enough time to have a final meal. A silk liner will make it more comfortable for them doing that, but silk has no particular insecticidal properties.

Note that there is extensive discussion on this, and using the search function or tag cloud will give you hours of interesting reading on this topic.

Sorry, I didn't see the quote until now but I see you have already got good and thorough answers from knowledgeable camino veterans. Just want to add that I was referring to a bag or liner being a barrier between you and (all the pilgrims who have slept in or will sleep in) your bed. I always inspect a bed and the wall and frame for signs of bugs, but sleep in a bag or liner to keep the mattress clean between uses as a courtesy to other people, not least the hospitaler@s who do all the cleaning. If you prefer, you can sleep on a sarong, scarf, bring a fitted sheet - I also think it's much nicer to have my own bedding at the end of the day. And liners can be washed when needed!

I’m sorry, but I’ve cut the label off. I’m one of those ‘every gram counts’ obsessives. I’ll attach a photo. I just went to Target, after walking through about 3 camping goods stores, depressed at the prices and kicking myself for losing my last sleeping bag, and there it was. $10, in the bedding section. It’s nothing special, I think you could pick it up at any homewares store, and it’s perfect.View attachment 131261
I’ve used a similar blanket and/or a Turkish towel or pashmina for years traveling in countries around the Mediterranean. Works fine. I hate mummy bags. I’m 6’ and almost 200 pounds.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.