• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag vs liner

Alan Baker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April/May 2023
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances starting in mid-April next year. I've been through all the sleeping bag vs sleeping liners discussions and it appears that the definitive answer is 'it depends'.
With that in mind, I'm wondering if some of the experienced forum members could weigh in on the suitability of this option. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used a similar design bag last year on the S:t Olavsleden in Jun/Jul. I think this is a good approach, and combines the advantages of a quilt in a design that stays put. I do use a separate liner that protects the bag, but if you are prepared to dry clean the bag at the end of your trip rather than just launder a liner, you might omit using one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances starting in mid-April next year. I've been through all the sleeping bag vs sleeping liners discussions and it appears that the definitive answer is 'it depends'.

It depends on the requirements for suitability should you need to wild camp. There's no collar or waterproof characteristics. Should it only be required for Albergue in April I'd spend it on a silk liner. Having walked throughout the day getting blood circulation going through sustained exercise, hot shower and full belly and with fellow pilgrims around you at night with the option of blankets available in many Albergue in my experience of walking from early September through to Mid December I had no need for a sleeping bag. If particularly cold base layer leaving socks on is always an option. Objective for me was to travel as light as possible and my 22 litre 6kg laden pack was key to my comfort. I'm interested in sleeping bags for my next Camino as I want to sleep under the constellations and thinking about this one with integrated insect net inside bivvy jungle blanket which doubles as el fresco picnic blanket✨
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y3WXZG4/?tag=casaivar-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BTHREMK/?tag=casaivar-21

Last edited:
Just to clarify - we will be staying in albergues throughout our pilgrimage. I've grown too tame for to 'wild camp'!
Haha never to tame but with the increase in Pilgrim numbers may need to in future unless pre-book or prepared to walk further than intended. In your original post it wasn't clear if your requirements where for inside or outdoors hence two options. Plus be interested if anyone else has opinion on this outdoor combination I have suggested 😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a similar MEC bag for Caminos in both May & Sept-Oct. I used it alone over half my nights. Both walks there were some nights I used it in combination with my silk liner, and some when I also wore a base layer and borrowed a blanket, and other nights that were too hot for even the light liner. (Stone buildings, especially at altitude, are slow to get rid of the chill. Some will have has snow as late as April.) At home I often sleep at 15 degrees C but use a heavier weight quilr and sheets to feel comfy. A note about this bag's performance-in-practice: the bottom of the bag tended to rotate upwards as I turned lots in my sleep, so often I woke up with half the quilt side under me and half the 'light' side on top. That may be 'just me'.

My husband used the same bag with no liner, sometimes adding a borrowed blanket and/or sleeping in his clothes. He also found the underside of the bag twisted upwards as he moved in his sleep.

Just finished the Frances, staying in albergues. Definitely take a lightweight sleeping bag and leave the liner at home. I took both but the liner stayed in the bottom of my pack the entire time. Unzip the bag fully and use it like a quilt.The nights were very cold even if the days were warm and on the few nights where the albergue was hot due to body heat and lack of ventilation I simply lay on top of the bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked April/May 2018, I took a light weight sleeping bag, rated at 10degrees, and only weighing in at 500grams, however I included a sea to summit cotton liner. I slept in the liner and used the sleeping bag to throw over me if the temperature dropped. which on occasion it was down to 2 or 3 degrees. it did not add much weight to my pack, my overall weight which included water was 9kgs. Buen Camino

We have a huge varity of liners and material. Some weight aroung 100d (silk, fake silk), some others 1kg.
You don't need the waterproof variant. Cotton is cheap but heavy and not warming if it is wet from sweat or rain
In April/May you have a very good chance to pass cold days and nights in the albergues. Therefore you can either plan ahead and book pensions with heating (no need for bedclothes) or you bring a light slepping bag as most will do.
You can find cheap (20-30€) and light (<=700g) sleeping bags at amazon, ebay etc. Reducing it to 500g requires some research and extra money. At least for normal sized man up to 1,80m (6ft) you have a wide choice. If you're longer the sleeping bag size becomes important. You have to add another feet length to fit into the sleeping bag, so a 2,10 m (7ft) sleeping bag is only regular size.
For the cheap sleeping bags a liner can add comfort, but it's not economic and adds weight. If you've spent several hundreds of Euro a liner makes sense to keep the expensive bag clean.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if some of the experienced forum members could weigh in on the suitability of this option. Thanks!
I’m on the Camino now. Blankets are often available but not always. I have a liner but don’t really like it. But I have used my down quilt numerous times and would have had cold, sleepless nights without it. Sleeping bags or quilts will add to your total weight but without one or the other, the prospect of sleeping cold in your clothes is what you are left with at an albergue that does not provide blankets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While we're on this subject, please give me your views on taking a lightweight sleeping bag on the English, Finisterre and Muxia early September.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for your help. I will probably wait until autumn and see if the double diamond down throws are available locally, and if not I'll stay with the MEC hybrid sleeping bag and probably supplement it with a liner.

Personally I can't stand sleeping bags, but I'm a big and tall guy. I just got the snugpak jungle blanket XL. This one is perfect to me. It's warm enough, light and packs small. I will use it together with a silk liner.
I would not recommend the double black diamond blanket because of the down filling. They are light and compressible but do not warm when whet.
I'm pretty sure that I will need something to warm me at night because I plan to leave end March\ early April.

Hi everyone . Maybe somebody know about compact sleeping bag ? I have The North Face , that good for me , but my girlfried have very - very big Marmot , too much space in her backpack . Maybe it'll be better to buy liner ? We go Camino Frances in August :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just to clarify - we will be staying in albergues throughout our pilgrimage. I've grown too tame for to 'wild camp'!

I started April 28, 2019 and almost had to join a number of folks wild camping on night #2 because there was no room in any inn. Those that didn't wild camp ended up walking another day's journey during the night to Pamplona. Two in our group got blisters that evening that dogged them the rest of the journey. Takeaways: 1. I was part of a "surge" and had no idea about that. 2. It is GOOD to make reservations in advance. Call them on the phone and speak English, 3.The "surge" evened out by the end of the first week. 4. Read the Beirley, et al guidebooks but don't get yourself locked into their daily "stages". There are always albergues---often really good ones--between the daily start and end towns in those guidebooks. 5. If you don't have reservations for the night ahead (which was me 90% of the time") its good to arrive at your destination at 2 or 3 pm. You will almost always find a bed at your first or second choice. If not, you can hoof it down the line another 3-5 km usually and find a bed. My point is that if you don't have reservations and if you are in that group that arrives after 5 pm, you just may be wild camping that night.

Last edited:
Not worth the extra weight. Definitely a liner only.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.