• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag vs no sleeping bag

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hey guys,

I am now thinking about packing for my camino.

I will be starting on the 31st October,

I am considering not taking a sleeping bag.....is this a wise idea or just plain stupid?

Last year in Poland with temps of -17 at times I slept with the window open, I hate to be stuffy. On the other hand I did have a duvet.

I will be taking with me my sleeping bag liner but just wondering if there is any point in taking my sleeping bag or hoping there will be blankets in the albergues??

I know its a different story if you are cold and wet after walking and you want nothing more than to get warm in bed but I really am just thinking on weight of pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked last October and did not take a sleeping bag. Most of the albergues I stayed in had blankets, the ones that didn't I think were the public one in O Cebreiro and the horrendously awful Monte de Gozo. There were so many people in the dorm at O Cebreiro that it would have been too hot for a sleeping bag and I ended up leaving Monte de Gozo before night fall anyway (think prisoner of war camp) so never really found out.

One of my essental bits of kit for any long walk is a shemagh (big Arab scarf) which is big enough to use as a cover in bed. When I needed it I just used that as a sheet. I finished walking on the 30th of October, the weather in Galicia was typical cool autumn, not dissimilar to as it was in the UK. Generally cold mornings and evenings but warming up in the afternoon. I only actually remember feeling cold one night and that was in an albergue with blankets, I put a thin fleece on and was fine after that.

The big problem I always find is damp air. Cold when it is humid is hard to escape from and Galicia particularly is definitely humid. That said, I never missed my sleeping bag.

How much does your present sleeping bag actually weigh? Not all albergues have blankets nor do all albergues have central heating. Believe me there is nothing colder than being in a non insulated stone albergue without heat especially when you enter wet from walking through heavy rain, icy hail, fog or even snow. The choice is yours, of course, but base your decision on the possibility of COLD weather as you walk in November/December.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmmm after reading more into Mspath blog about her winter Camino I think it would indeed be a stupid idea!

But you can still put forward your opinions!

How much does your present sleeping bag actually weigh? Not all albergues have blankets nor do all albergues have central heating. Believe me there is nothing colder than being in a non insulated stone albergue without heat especially when you enter wet from walking through heavy rain, icy hail, fog or even snow. The choice is yours, of course, but base your decision on the possibility of COLD weather as you walk in November/December.

Margaret Meredith

I am awaiting my parents reply on the weight of sleeping bag! I arrive back home in Scotland next week after a year of being away so I will have a better idea of my packing list. Its just a standard sleeping bag for camping so I fear it is going to be too heavy and from what I remember it will take up quite a bit of space. So will look in to light weight options also.

I, too, like it to be cool when I am sleeping, but the November weather will require a lightweight sleeping bag. In the unlikely event that it is really cold, ask for a blanket. Almost all albergues have them if you avoid the xunta albergues!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I, too, like it to be cool when I am sleeping, but the November weather will require a lightweight sleeping bag. In the unlikely event that it is really cold, ask for a blanket. Almost all albergues have them if you avoid the xunta albergues!

Are the Xunta albergues the ones that are run by government? Therefore likely to have nothing much at all?

Xunta albergues are, indeed, usually run by a provincial government. Although Falcon exaggerates, I find most of them GREAT.
Over the years I have stayed in several small rural Xunta albergues. Slightly off the beaten track or at least not at one of the often published 'official' halts many were run by the ACAG, ie the government of Galicia. Very well maintained and generally found in recently renovated historic buildings with original details, interesting roofs/ceilings, good HEAT and good hot showers at 5€ per bunk in December 2013 they were a bargain. For example in both Arzua and Melide these ACAG albergues are gems! What BLISS it was to arrive, open the door and step into surrounding warmth when I was tired, wet and chilled! ...Remember there is NO SINGLE STANDARD for anything on the camino; each pilgrim is different, each town and each albergue. Experiencing this wide variety of one of the camino's many pleasures.

Margaret Meredith

I must agree with Margaret. I've done a lot of "off season" backpacking and I highly recommend a good, lightweight sleeping bag for the time of year your are going. You just don't know what kind of conditions you we be experiencing and the added weight will be offset by the comfort and full nights sleep you will have because of it. Hiking the Norte in June, I expected to not even need my sleeping bag but I brought it anyways. Thanks God I did. It was cold and wet and I surely needed it.
Best of Luck,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought this one for my husband - he is always cold. Weighs only 1.5 pounds and highly rated on Amazon. Has its own compression stuff sack. Only thing is its larger than I'd hoped compressed so it takes up more space in his 35L backpack than I'd like. I will be taking a 1 lb fleece sleeping back with an ultralight bag liner because I'm some one who's always hot. Any thoughts or suggestions? We are planning the Camino Frances May 2014.

Husband's sleeping bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z0H5CY/?tag=casaivar02-20

My fleece sleeping bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W34MJK/?tag=casaivar02-20

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Think I am going to decide on this one, 750g and 18cmX16cm when packed.

It says its 2 season, with temps between +7oC and +25oC but in further details is says comfort temp +9oC and extreme temp -9oC so I think it will do the job.

http://www.traveloutdoors.co.uk/yellowstone-ultralite-100-sleeping-bag/
This would be a warm day indeed, or a very cold one.

I used a +5degC semi-rectangular bag that weighs about 800gm, 1100gm in its stuff sack and with a liner. I don't find mummy bags all the comfortable, and its more difficult use them as a quilt, which I did more regularly later on CF in early 2010. But at that time, I was walking into warmer weather. You don't have that advantage.

All that said, if you know you can sleep in a mummy bag, it should be a reasonable choice.

Regards,

I was trying to make the little o for degree Celsius but it wouldn't work on computer! That's why it looked like +9oC! It's an o not a 0 :)

Apologies for the confusion!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@dougfitz,

I am not a great fan of the mummy....but I am thinking of warmth and believe these are to be the better ones. Shall keep searching though. Like the sound of your rectangular one!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As said earlier (Doug), if you plan to take a Mummy bag, make sure that you can sleep in one. I took mine on weekend camping trips before I hit the AT just to make sure. Turns out I was sooooo sleepy/tired from hiking with a heavy pack on the AT I could have slept in a tin can......:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Snugpak make a square sleeping bag, new this year I think. It opens right out and comes L or R zipped so two can be fastened together to make a double sleeping bag as well as individual ones.
We have snugpak bags and they are good, but we have not used this specific bag.
Amazon UK search results here .

Last edited:
Are the Xunta albergues the ones that are run by government? Therefore likely to have nothing much at all?

Nothing at all ... except throw away mattress covers to keep mattresses clean ... well maintained facilities ... furniture in good repair ... space ... clean ... hot showers ... and well heated to the point where a liner was often enough to sleep.

I liked staying in Xunta albergues.

I carried a minus ten barrel bag. It was too much. Some of the albergues were 'cold' but that didn't mean below freezing.

I would bring a lighter bag or a duvet with a sleeping bag liner next time.

I wouldn't want to rely on blankets as some of them looked a bit disreputable. There was a rumour that the blankets were home to bugs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@dougfitz,

I am not a great fan of the mummy....but I am thinking of warmth and believe these are to be the better ones. Shall keep searching though. Like the sound of your rectangular one!

I like barrel bags ... somewhat larger in girth than mummy bags. Mine are by made by Taiga in Vancouver and I can highly recommend them.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back