• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag vs Silk Liner

Esperanza11

Hi everyone!!

In a weeks time (27th June) I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago, it's my first camino, I'm female and I will be doing it alone. I am in the process of packing and buying all my necessary things. The current temperature in Santiago seems to be between 17 and 22 degrees but with frequent rain. My question is will I need a sleeping bag or can I get away with just one of those silk liner bags instead? I really want to carry the minimal amount of gear.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would think a liner would be fine. My friend walked in March from Ponferrada and brought only a liner. Blankets were available when it was cold. I would think in the summer it would be very warm.

A liner will be fine from Sarria on. I was on this section in May and and I didnt use my bag just the liner and the blankets provided. Most of the liners I saw including my own were mummy type and they are a pain to get in and out of them especially in the middle of the night. Try to get one that opens down the side or else buy a double size silk bed sheet and make your own.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First of all thank your lucky stars that they have opened that new albergue in Roncesvalles, until two years ago the old one was good for gripe -meaning influenza plus pneumonia, a cold walk in the rain, a quick cold shower and a night in the freezer which was then considered an albergue knocked out more then one pilgrim. St. Juan de Ortega, no garlic soup lots of mildew also freezing, and the monastery in Samos, more of the same as above. You should have no problem avoiding these places and your liner will be more than enough. Go for a cotton one, silk and synthetics will make you sweat and many albergues with many pilgrims means much heat as the albergues located in Najera or the so called pilgrims pavilion Os Chacotes prove all to well, both are best voided for many many reasons including excessive heat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don't know what you mean by barrier. Bed bugs cannot crawl through it, but they can go inside. The bugs feed on exposed skin anyway, so you head, shoulder, hands, and arms are the primary targets. Treat the silk sack with permethrin for maximum protection.

Re: Re: Sleeping Bag vs Silk Liner

falcon269 said:
Treat the silk sack with permethrin for maximum protection.

Or treat a Tyvek sheet to lay on. You can get them at 4.5 feet wide x 7.5 feet long for about $12-$15 that weighs only about 7oz. This would cover the top of the bed and even protect exposed body parts. Soaked in permethrin this should offer protection for the whole "Way".
Check them out here:
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tyvek.shtml

Tony

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all so much for your replies, great advice. I am off to try and get my liner today from Decathlon, hopefully they will have what I need :D

Or treat a Tyvek sheet to lay on.
I do that as well, though my soft Tyvek weighs only about 4 oz. I use it as a blanket; it has an R-factor about the same as my nylon sleep sack. It also hangs nicely from the coils of the top bunk as a privacy barrier for changing clothes. It works as a ground cloth along the trail, though it takes a bit of effort to keep it clean. As a mattress cover, the Tyvek needs to be large enough to tuck in securely. It is fairly slippery stuff, so it won't stay in place if it is just draped over the mattress. I buy permethrin in bulk!!

Well I managed to buy a silk mummy liner today, there doesn't seem to be much choice here in Barcelona and the only one I could find was in Decathlon and it cost me a whopping 29 euros!! I have left it a bit too late to order stuff on line now as I leave in 7 days, but I guess I can use it again and again so hopefully I will get my moneys worth out of it. :?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
... my soft Tyvek weighs only about 4 oz. I use it as a blanket; it has an R-factor about the same as my nylon sleep sack. It also hangs nicely from the coils of the top bunk as a privacy barrier for changing clothes. ...

What is your source of "soft" Tyvek? All that I've found is very crinkly and rustles a lot. I'm taking some as a groundcloth in case I have to rough it, but would really like a version I can use to eliminate the sheet I'm bringing for the bed.

PAX,
Matt

Matt: try washing your tyvek (do not put it in the dryer!) in coolish water. I have used my washed tyvek for several Caminos and as a ground cloth under my tiny tent in dry weather. After washing, it will roll up just fine for stuffing wherever it can go. Buen Camino! I am feeling the tug again......

Portia1 --- It's off to the washer I go. Thanks for the tip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back