• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag - yes or no?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi beautiful people!

Hope you are all doing well.
I look forward to commencing my camino very soon; and here's a question: do I need a sleeping bag or no?

I plan to sleep in hostels; and i believe it is not peak time if I were to go at the end of April, or so; and as a solo female, I wouldn't really think to sleep in the nature all alone... So do I need a sleeping bag or no? I would imagine the hostels have blankets.
Also, in my camino guide book, the sleeping bag was listed under 'optional' category, so makes me think even more so that it's not a must. But live advice from people who know this would be much appreciated!
Regards
Sophia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Sophia,

Greetings!

Seems like the end of April is the time of year when the weather is turning in Northern Spain (I'm assuming you're doing the Frances?). 3 years ago the weather was fantastic and I was only cold twice, but then I'm a chunky guy and without wanting to be sexist anecdotal evidence suggests that ladies feel the cold a little more. I did not take a sleeping bag on either of my Caminos, just a liner.

The question to ask yourself is- Would I rather be a little cold for maybe 5 nights or lug around a sleeping bag I might only use one night in 6?

DO NOT assume there will be blankets!

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try to find a very light sleeping bag- I had one under 1 kg, and it was great for all albergues, and even (somewhat) adequate for the one night I had to sleep out. It's coming along in the Autumn on my next Camino. (Chemin).
And by the way, as a solo female, I'm not averse to sleeping out if necessary.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure when you are walking ("very soon" = next week, next month, before end of the year?). For a shoulder season, (Oct. on the CP), we carried silk liners (Cocoon Expedition Silk, 4oz) and Enlightened Equipment backpacking quilts (50 degree. 8oz for my wife; 12oz for me). Much lighter than any sleeping bag (basically, most U.S. long-distance backpackers have now gone to this system).

For a summer Camino I would definitely not take them (in summer I'd use a Cocoon cotton liner (8oz); the silk just does not breath enough for warm weather). And yes, most of the alburgues have blankets. But not all (Roncevalles and OCeriebo (sic) being two cold alburgues I remember with no blankets).

Also, consider what else you are taking. If you are carrying a light weight down jacket anyway, that and a silk liner can handle a couple of cool nights. Also, this is a bit of personal perference--how warm or cool do you like to sleep.

I hope this helps. Buen Camino.
Jo Jo

I am walking from SJPdP on 20th April and I don't like being cold in bed. I originally planned to bring along a sleeping bag liner but a friend has loaned me her 740 gram sleeping bag. It is flat underneath. The down is just on top. I am now taking that and can stick my legs out the side if I am warm.

I am walking from SJPdP on 20th April and I don't like being cold in bed. I originally planned to bring along a sleeping bag liner but a friend has loaned me her 740 gram sleeping bag. It is flat underneath. The down is just on top. I am now taking that and can stick my legs out the side if I am warm.
Very wise :) Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I left April 12 and took a silk sleep sack (134g) plus a down lap blanket (460g). I sewed snaps onto the sack and blanket to attach them when I needed the blanket and keep the blanket from shifting. It was a great system and lighter than any sleeping bag I saw.

Hi beautiful people!

I look forward to commencing my camino very soon; and here's a question: do I need a sleeping bag or no?

I plan to sleep in hostels; and i believe it is not peak time if I were to go at the end of April, or so; and as a solo female, I wouldn't really think to sleep in the nature all alone... So do I need a sleeping bag or no? I would imagine the hostels have blankets.
Also, in my camino guide book, the sleeping bag was listed under 'optional' category, so makes me think even more so that it's not a must. But live advice from people who know this would be much appreciated!
Regards
Sophia
Following too!

I have done many different caminos and never bring a sleeping bag but just a sheet because too heavy. But i must say each time there has been nights where i was cold all night because no blankets. It's a choice out of cold some nights or heavy bag...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have done many different caminos and never bring a sleeping bag but just a sheet because too heavy. But i must say each time there has been nights where i was cold all night because no blankets. It's a choice out of cold some nights or heavy bag...
You don't have to choose between being cold or taking a heavy bag. You can do as @Seabird, @Jo Jo and I do, and take a silk liner, and a very lightweight down blanket. It's a combination that is very lightweight, and flexible.

Last edited:
You do not need to pack a bulky sleeping bag. A simple silk liner will suffice

There might be some confusion.

By "hostel" I expect you are referring to albergues. (In Spain, a "hostal" is like a small hotel.) Most albergues have blankets, but not all.

When your guide book says sleeping bags are optional, they mean:
  1. If you choose the option of staying in private accommodation (hostales and hotels) where a proper bed is provided, then you don't need any sleeping bag or blankets or sheets. They will be provided.
  2. If you are staying in albergues but travelling when the weather is reasonably warm (and this will depend on the person), you might decide to take only a "liner" and supplement it with blankets (if available) and layers of clothes. Again, that is your choice, but you should have something to put between you and the mattress.
Personally, I always carry a light sleeping bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For my camino, I looked at sleeping bag liners and settled on a Slumberjack fleece mummy. I felt the silk liners were too thin and wouldn't provide the level of warmth I wanted. The fleece liner worked great and It was all I needed.

Hi Sophia,

Greetings!

Seems like the end of April is the time of year when the weather is turning in Northern Spain (I'm assuming you're doing the Frances?). 3 years ago the weather was fantastic and I was only cold twice, but then I'm a chunky guy and without wanting to be sexist anecdotal evidence suggests that ladies feel the cold a little more. I did not take a sleeping bag on either of my Caminos, just a liner.

The question to ask yourself is- Would I rather be a little cold for maybe 5 nights or lug around a sleeping bag I might only use one night in 6?

DO NOT assume there will be blankets!

Buen Camino,

Rob.
So this is quite strange, and for the first time I'm starting to hear that accommodation doesn't provide blankets.
And what does a liner do exactly - keep me warm? protect me from bedbugs?
I've only started reading yesterday people writing loads on here about bringing liners, but what difference would it make if I slept with or without a liner?
The beds have bed sheets, right???

So this is quite strange, and for the first time I'm starting to hear that accommodation doesn't provide blankets.
I've only started reading yesterday people writing loads on here about bringing liners, but what difference would it make if I slept with or without a liner?
PS Thanks for your advice so far!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While I usually stay in rented commercial lodging: casa rurales, hostals (not albergues), small hotels, etc. I nonetheless always carry my microfiber sleep sack. I settled on this after trying several different sleeping systems, including lightweight sleeping bags. I still have a very lightweight down sleeping quilt, but rarely consider taking it. Remember, every gram / ounce counts.

Here is my solution: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

It is available in microfiber in a rectangle or mummy shape and is actually a liner for a heavier bag. There is also a nominally heavier and bulkier microfleece version that would be warmer. The weight specification are listed on the web site (21 oz / or about .5 kg)

This liner / sack has a full separating zipper, so getting in and out during the night is easy. Also, when opened all the way, two liners can be paired together for a double sleep sack. Alternatively, it can be used open, as a blanket / throw. Finally, it is machine washable and packs nicely into a one gallon ziplock bag.

Generally, this rides at the verify bottom of my rucksack as it is the least used item. If I do happen to need to stay in an albergue, and it is not warm enough, I can always put some clothes on.

Hope this helps.

I usually just take a microfiber liner (rectangular shape for more room). Most albergues have blankets and that is normally sufficient. On extra cold nights I can zip up my waterproof jacket (poncho) and pull it over my feet and legs.

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
The Spanish word hostel means hotel. Hotels in Spain supply towels and blankets pillows Etc. But if you mean albergues then you need a liner. I take a silk liner because yes there are blankets but you can't be sure how often they've been washed. Of note, I didn't bring anything but a silk liner and use their blankets and their pillows and no problems with bed bugs. So if not fussy, you don't need a liner and if you do find a place without any blankets you can wear your clothes to bed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our first Camino was mid September and a silk liner and fleece blanket were sufficient.
Second Camino starting mid April we had down sleeping bags. As the weather warmed I posted these ahead and we relied on just silk liners which were sufficient except for one night in Triacastela where my shivering kept the snorers awake!

Many albergues have disposable bottom sheets -- not what you would consider a normal bed sheet. I don't think you can depend on the availability of bedding beyond a pillow and a disposable mattress covering. Blankets are not dependably available. And some seem a bit worse for wear.

I took a silk liner and a very light sleeping bag (Sea to Summit Traveler bag). It was not heavy and kept me warm. I walked from around April 20 through May and was glad I had both.

May you find a good way to sleep well and keep warm!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Easygoing makes a very good point about the interpretation of the word hostel, but assuming you mean what in Spanish would be called an Albergue the possible reasons for taking a liner are as folows.

1. It's lighter and less bulky than a full sleeping bag.
2. It's cooler than a sleeping bag.
3. It will protect you from umwelcome eyes. Or in my case protect the eyes of my fellow pilgrims from grotesque horrors.
4. Save you from potentially uncomfortable plasticised matresses or paper disposable sheets.
4. Protect you from insect bites.

I've used both a silk liner and elasticised cotton based one. Personally I like the freedom of movement the cotton one gave.

Easygoing makes a very good point about the interpretation of the word hostel, but assuming you mean what in Spanish would be called an Albergue the possible reasons for taking a liner are as folows.

1. It's lighter and less bulky than a full sleeping bag.
2. It's cooler than a sleeping bag.
3. It will protect you from umwelcome eyes. Or in my case protect the eyes of my fellow pilgrims from grotesque horrors.
4. Save you from potentially uncomfortable plasticised matresses or paper disposable sheets.
4. Protect you from insect bites.

I've used both a silk liner and elasticised cotton based one. Personally I like the freedom of movement the cotton one gave.
Right, I do mean Albergue indeed! And as I Kept on reading the comments, after having answered to your answer, apparently some places don't even have bed sheets. So I just really need to make up my mind whether i need a liner or a sleeping bag. The truth is that I am a lover of being warm, and literally make all my friends/family/ people that live with me to sweat, and need to have the heating on :D
So, the only question for me remains, whether I will need a sleeping bag if I start the journey mid - to end of April, and it will only get warmer as we progress into the summer.
So I think either the lightest sleeping bag, or the thickest liner... I will keep looking.
Thanks so much to you and everyone else, who is reading this and has taken the time to give me detailed advice!!!!

Right, I do mean Albergue indeed! And as I Kept on reading the comments, after having answered to your answer, apparently some places don't even have bed sheets. So I just really need to make up my mind whether i need a liner or a sleeping bag. The truth is that I am a lover of being warm, and literally make all my friends/family/ people that live with me to sweat, and need to have the heating on :D
So, the only question for me remains, whether I will need a sleeping bag if I start the journey mid - to end of April, and it will only get warmer as we progress into the summer.
So I think either the lightest sleeping bag, or the thickest liner... I will keep looking.
Thanks so much to you and everyone else, who is reading this and has taken the time to give me detailed advice!!!!
I have ditched my liner. My friend loaned me a very lightweight bag which doesn't have padding underneath. I too can't bear being cold.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
apparently some places don't even have bed sheets. So I just really need to make up my mind whether i need a liner or a sleeping bag. The truth is that I am a lover of being warm, and literally make all my friends/family/ people that live with me to sweat, and need to have the heating on :D
For 5 or 10 Euros, an albergue cannot provide as much comfort as a hotel. It is intended to be simple shelter for pilgrims. So, sometimes you will have nothing covering a vinyl mattress. I would definitely take a light sleeping bag (not just a liner) in April.

I bring a silk liner - about 5 ounces, and a very lightweight down throw blanket - 7 ounces. This combination serves me well. When it's hot I put the blanket between the sometimes sticky vinyl covered mattress and my silk liner. When it's cold I tuck the blanket inside the liner.

Tucking the blanket inside the liner is an excellent way to max the possibility of being bitten by or passing on your bedbugs. As a one-time hospitalero, blankets etc are only meant to supplement the pilgrim's resources, and I liked to see pilgrims to use a sleeping bag and/liner to protect the bedding from whatever they are carrying! As a pilgrim, I always carry both a liner and a lightweight sleeping bag, and use the liner for layering when it's cold or on its own when it's warm.
Peter

I brought a silk liner and an Enlightened Equipment down quilt. I am a cold sleeper, and need to be warm. I put the quilt inside the liner like @trecile because it is so light that it could easily fall off during the night and end up on the floor. This was a low tech, non stitch, or attachment solution. I think @trecile might have been referring to HER down throw blanket and not the albergue's. I never used the nice looking bedspreads etc., I just put my stuff on top ... I think I know were my stuff has been. One more thing about the liners ... mine has a built-in pillow case pocket underneath the head to put the albergue's pillow in.

LifeSystems - Single Bed Bug Sheet 100 grams
Cocoon - Silk TravelSheet 158.8 grams
Enlightened Equipment - Revelation 40° 376.2 grams
Osprey - Ultralight Dry Sack - 20 49.9 grams

If you feel the cold then IMO a sleeping bag is a must, as you are starting in April. Also this spring has been cold so the nights might not have warmed up much - some years have been better than others.
Walking in late April and May there were some nights when I used the bag plus a blanket. A liner only would have left me cold, unable to sleep and miserable.
Many albergues do not provide blankets, or only 1 fairly thin one per bed. Some provide thin 'paper' type sheets but others will have nothing. They expect you to have something (bag or liner) to put between you and the matress. A bag with a hood means you can put your head in the hood, or turn it inside out over the pillow.

Last edited:
I brought a silk liner and an Enlightened Equipment down quilt. I am a cold sleeper, and need to be warm. I put the quilt inside the liner like @trecile because it is so light that it could easily fall off during the night and end up on the floor. This was a low tech, non stitch, or attachment solution. I think @trecile might have been referring to HER down throw blanket and not the albergue's. I never used the nice looking bedspreads etc., I just put my stuff on top ... I think I know were my stuff has been. One more thing about the liners ... mine has a built-in pillow case pocket underneath the head to put the albergue's pillow in.

LifeSystems - Single Bed Bug Sheet 100 grams
Cocoon - Silk TravelSheet 158.8 grams
Enlightened Equipment - Revelation 40° 376.2 grams
Osprey - Ultralight Dry Sack - 20 49.9 grams
I must say the frequent reference to bugs and bites is beginning to worry me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't assume the albergues will have blankets, and some of the ones that I used at one point in the fall were rather, shall I say....a bit sketchy?? Don't get me wrong, I WAS grateful for the extra layer of warmth, but still....
I took a very light sleeping bag that zipped, and one side was like a sheet and the other side was a lightweight down, so if it was warm, you could sleep on the down side and if it was cool, you could sleep on the sheet side so there are lots of options out there.

Tucking the blanket inside the liner is an excellent way to max the possibility of being bitten by or passing on your bedbugs. As a one-time hospitalero, blankets etc are only meant to supplement the pilgrim's resources, and I liked to see pilgrims to use a sleeping bag and/liner to protect the bedding from whatever they are carrying! As a pilgrim, I always carry both a liner and a lightweight sleeping bag, and use the liner for layering when it's cold or on its own when it's warm.
Peter
As linkster said I'm tucking my own lightweight down blanket inside my silk liner - not the albergue's blanket.

I concur that you can’t count on every albergue providing blankets. And yes, some of the blankets looked a bit dodgy. For me, having the comfort of snuggling up into my sleeping bag each night was important. I’m a bit torn about quilts. The Enlightened Gear quilts look great, and I love the idea of saving weight (nearly half a kilo in my case), but there is something comforting about having that sleeping bag between me and the bedding and pillow. Since I can get to my weight target (10 kilos) using the sleeping bag I used last time, I think I’ll stick with it, but I keep eyeing those quilts. Half a kilo is nothing to sniff at. I’ve tried the Sea to Summit silk liners, but they don’t provide enough girth for me. I get all tangled up in them.

I used a silk liner and a down throw quilt I bought on-line from Kohl's for $25. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on the Enlightened Gear. In fact, my first Camino in 2011, I was the only throw user I saw. That time I brought a small down throw I already had that was made by Laura Ashley! :) It was the best because the cover was cotton-like and didn't slip. But, alas, it weighs 1.5 pounds and the Kohls is 1 lb. so I went with the lighter weight this time. BTW, the Kohl's was big and, if had wanted to save even more weight, I could have cut it down. But I'm only 5'2"

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia[/QUOTE

I would. It’s still cool in Spain and not all hostels have blankets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

No, not in the alburgues. In the small hotels, probably.

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
Hello Again Sofia,

The last thing you want to experience is being on the Camino without an essential piece of gear.

In my limited experience, municipal albergues offer a pillow and a clean bottom sheet, sometimes a blanket, sometimes not. Again, for me, I carry a light sleeping bag and a pillowcase, (albergue pillowcases may not be changed???). Remember, you are paying a small fraction of a hotel stay. But, as others have provided, a light down duvet can work instead of a bag. It is extremely light and can pack very small.

Sleep systems do not have to be purchased and not necessarily expensive, if purchased. Sometimes there are all the components right at home. Knowing that you will always sleep under a roof, no need for a ground sheet. or an air mattress. But the minimum is going to be a blanket and a pillowcase (usually washed weekly, unless it gets really funky before that).

Be open to experimenting, though timing is short for this trip. Watch what others use and carry. What are the lightest options? If you begin with some inexpensive gear to start, see a better way, it may be wise to change things up mid-Camino. Knowledge is something else the Camino provides, if allowed.

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
I’ve got a silk liner and an airline blanket (free giveaway) which combined weigh 365g. Including stuff bag. Cheap option and if I decide I dont need blanket I can give it away or leave at an alberque

If by a "hostel" you mean private lodging where you rent a room for yourself only, you will not need a sleeping bag.

If you mean "albergue" where you sleep with other pilgrims, you will most definitely need SOMETHING to sleep in between you and the mattress. This can be a sleeping bag or a liner.

End of April, which I walk every year, I would never go without a sleeping bag. You'll be walking through various microclimates, some of which will be quite chilly, especially in April/May. You may encounter snow, for instance, going over from SJPP in May (we did 2 years ago) and no blankets are provided in the Roncesvalles albergue (nor in several other albergues).

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just finished the Portuguese and I would say you need a light bag. It was pretty cold and raw. Some of the muni’s did not have blankets just a mattress and pillow. So we needed our bags which worked out well. Maybe the weather has warmed up but I’d be on the safe side and take one.

I did the CF last year starting in mid-May and definitely needed a lightweight bag in SJPP, Roncesvalles and Zubiri. I shipped my bag to SdC from Burgos. I only wished I had more than my liner on one night so I didn’t have to sleep in my walking clothes. For an April start, I’d personally take a bag, you can always post it ahead. Buen Camino!

I started 4/2 and have used my liner and lightweight sleeping bag every night. It was cold in Roncesvalles and it has been very cold between Astorga and ...where the heck am I ... Fonfria. So much snow here in Galicia!! The trail is deep in snow and we have been walking on the road.

Buen Camino y’all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
July and August, perhaps even late June and early September Camino? IMO definitely no need for an actual sleeping bag, at least one that weighs over one pound/450 grams.
Other months and times on the Camino? Sure, bring a sleeping bag/system, but definitely one that weighs less that 24 ounces/680 grams.
I am under the assumption on any of the inquiries on sleeping bag/sleep system that the OP wants to carry the lightest possible one, and stay comfortable while walking the Camino.
If the weight of the bag is not that much of an issue, and there are many pilgrims, especially in the younger set, that can carry heavy backpacks with no problems, I say to them just carry whatever makes you comfortable at night.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m currently on the Camino and am really happy about the lightweight down sleeping bag I brought. It’s an Aegismax down bag, 528g, highly compactable and cheap - astonishingly good!

It has been VERY rainy and cold and most places I’ve stayed have been cold and about half have had blankets. Two have had sheets - private albergues. It’s only day 8 though and we are about to have a warm spell. I sleep cold so I appreciate the extra warmth.

My wife, three girls and I walked the CF last year starting April 30. We brought sleep sheets (like a sleeping bag liner but just made of a sheet with the side and bottom stitched together) and light fleece blankets. They were both super light, very inexpensive, and dried quickly. We were never really cold, we could always put on more clothes if that was the case. I think I slept in socks one night, but that was all. Have great trip!

Ha ha. I wore other clothes too, although I ran into many other pilgrims who wore close to nothing in the albergues. It was a bit of an educational experience for my girls...

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia

A sleeping bag is essential for your Camino. Not only you can save yourself from possible bed bugs, also don't need to worry about blankets and being cold during the night. There are really cheap, light and good quality sleeping backs in Decathlon.

I walked the CF April and May. Used my lightweight sleeping bag and sheet every night. As well as a silk scarf to wrap around the pillow.
Also don’t count on a clean sheet on the mattress every night. Some albergues do not change sheet and/or pillow slip every day or at least that was my experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a 750 gram lightweight sleeping bag and a silk liner plus a thermal blanket 208grams for the Camino Frances in April and May. I always used the first two and occasionally the blanket. Some albergues particularly the Xunta ones did not have blankets. The following year I walked Le Chemin du Puy at the same time of year. I did not take the thermal blanket to save weight and I did not miss it too much. I decided I would just wear some more clothes if necessary. Some nights in April and May can be cold especially in high up places, and weather is very variable.

Also don’t count on a clean sheet on the mattress every night. Some albergues do not change sheet and/or pillow slip every day or at least that was my experience.
Most albergues that I have stayed in didn't provide sheets at all, except those I'll fitting disposable ones.

Most albergues that I have stayed in didn't provide sheets at all, except those I'll fitting disposable ones.
Sorry didn’t make it clear that I meant the albergues that had a fitted sheet as a mattress cover. Personally I preferred the albergues that had vinyl covers on the mattresses and not fitted sheets but many still had some sort of matterial cover over the mattress. I usually stay in municipals or parochials. Perhaps that’s why we had a different experience?

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
This is for anyone and everyone. I was a hospitalera for a season. Many pilgrims have an expectation that someone else will take care of them. In some instances this may be true. However, pilgrims need to take responsibility for themselves. Bring a sleeping bag. You may never use it. But if you need it during a cold snap, freak rain storm or you get caught out in the open at dark, you will be glad for it. The time of year makes no difference. Unless it’s winter. In which case if you are asking this question, you probably shouldn’t be out there.
Plan ahead and prepare!
Buen Camino.

This is for anyone and everyone. I was a hospitalera for a season. Many pilgrims have an expectation that someone else will take care of them. In some instances this may be true. However, pilgrims need to take responsibility for themselves. Bring a sleeping bag. You may never use it. But if you need it during a cold snap, freak rain storm or you get caught out in the open at dark, you will be glad for it. The time of year makes no difference. Unless it’s winter. In which case if you are asking this question, you probably shouldn’t be out there.
Plan ahead and prepare!
Buen Camino.
There's no doubt you need a sleeping bag just now - very chilly.

Hi beautiful people!

Regards
Sophia
Sophia, I started the Camino Frances on 1st May last year and reached Santiago 31st May. I brought a silk liner which was perfect. I met people who ditched their sleeping bags. There were some nights that were a little chilly so I just layered on some of my clothes! Was so glad I hadn’t brought the sleeping bag taking up precious space! Buen camino. Jacintha

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.