• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag

Yoke

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk the Camino (2014)
Travelling October/November staying in Camino hostels. Do I need to take a sleeping bag ? Ta

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A search on this forum would lead you to much discussion on this very subject. Whether it will lead you to a definitive answer is debatable. Depends on you, whether you sleep warm or cold, how much you are prepared to carry... ...

Me, i'd carry a sleeping bag, two-season, down-filled. In October/ November I'd also carry a bivvy-bag / space-blanket. But thats just me. I'm hyper cautious, carry very little body fat and like to sleep warm.

Just enter "sleeping bag" into the search facility and download yourself an evenings research ;)

As @Tincatinker says, this is one of those hornet's nest topics, and you will find plenty of discussion. A friend has just returned from walking the CF to reach SJDP on Xmas Eve. His son put his reports into a blog at http://caminowally.blogspot.com.au/. You might get a better idea of whether you want to take the risk of not carrying one once you read it.

Regards,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not all the albergues have warm blankets. I just queried Roncesvalles and they do NOT provide blankets and that is likely to be one of the coldest places you'll sleep.
I have walked the Camino several times in Fall and I would definitely take a sleeping bag.
I cut a down bag into a blanket and I love it.

Not all the albergues have warm blankets. I just queried Roncesvalles and they do NOT provide blankets and that is likely to be one of the coldest places you'll sleep.
I have walked the Camino several times in Fall and I would definitely take a sleeping bag.
I cut a down bag into a blanket and I love it.

I had read the Albergue at Roncesvalles was COLD. So I took a bag rated for -10C. Imagine my surprise to find it heated to the point where I used only the sheet liner. Late October 2012.

A lot of the albergues were heated (particularly the Xunta operated albergues) ... only a few were cold enough to justify a low temperature bag ... even so the -10C was definate overkill.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I guess we all have different experiences.
It was so cold last time I was in Roncesvalles that I had to give one of my walkers MY sleeping bag.
I slept in all my clothes under my ALTUS poncho.
I don't think you need a sleeping bag rated for -10 but I do believe you need a bag.
They only give you paper sheets there.

There are other albergues where you will not get blankets either.
We almost froze last year in the municipal at Obanos.
In fact, the mean hospitalero told us, "You are pilgrims. You should have a saco de dormir!" when we asked him to turn on the heat. This was in JUNE!

I walked the CF in Oct/Nov. 2013. Took a silk liner and a very small fleece blanket. Total weight under 1 pound. Was more than warm most nights and on those few nights I needed more the albergues had blankets.

Travelling October/November staying in Camino hostels. Do I need to take a sleeping bag ? Ta
Hostales and hoteles supply linens. Albergues, the closest to what you may be thinking of as a hostel, expect pilgrim to have their own sleep linens. Most select a sleeping bag or silk/nylon sleep sack. No naked bodies are permitted on the mattresses, but you probably would not be tempted anyway!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I brought a lightweight down sleeping bag when I was on the Frances Sept-November. I did NOT regret it... Rain, snow, drafty hostels, not much heat in some albergues... Be prepared to be self sufficient. There are some inexpensive light weight down bags on the market these days. You just need to look.
Buen Camino

I am doing the Via de la Plata in April from Seville. I am not sure if I really need my sleeping bag. I took one on the Camino Frances in 2012 May/June but only needed it about three times. It was good for security but if it is unnecessary I would prefer not to bring it. Can someone advise me please.

I am doing the Via de la Plata in April from Seville. I am not sure if I really need my sleeping bag. I took one on the Camino Frances in 2012 May/June but only needed it about three times. It was good for security but if it is unnecessary I would prefer not to bring it. Can someone advise me please.

Kathryn,

I'm setting off on the Via de la Plata next week (by bike) and have the same [small] dilemma on whether to bring a sleeping bag or not. I'm thinking a silk liner will suffice. Have you started your camino on the VdlP yet? And if so, what's your verdict?

Thanks,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Kathryn,

I'm setting off on the Via de la Plata next week (by bike) and have the same [small] dilemma on whether to bring a sleeping bag or not. I'm thinking a silk liner will suffice. Have you started your camino on the VdlP yet? And if so, what's your verdict?

Thanks,

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.