• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This year I swapped my synthetic mummy-shaped bag weighing 850 grams for a Mont Bell spiral down thermal sheet weighing 430 grams. The new bag completely unzips to be used as a quilt and packs down into a tiny compression sack. The fabric of the new bag is cut on the bias (hence the name ‘spiral’) and so allows for more movement and stretching than a traditional straight cut bag. It was my biggest single expense, I love it. Didn’t need it much during the first couple of weeks (in May, from Lisbon) when we mostly stayed in hostels that provided bedding (including sheets and towels), but from Porto it was in use most nights and was wonderfully comfortable. I can imagine getting regular use from the bag as a comforter at home, as an extra layer on a cold night – so light weight, but so warm and cosy. I love it! You can see my full assessment of clothes and gear here

I would recommend a lightweight bag and a silk liner. I bought one a while back from a Spanish site weighing about 600 grams and not too costly. I will dig out some links tomorrow when I am on the PC?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks, I now think my current sleeping bag is a tad on the heavy side (1050 grams), I will certainly look for a lighter one. ;-)

This year I swapped my synthetic mummy-shaped bag weighing 850 grams for a Mont Bell spiral down thermal sheet weighing 430 grams. The new bag completely unzips to be used as a quilt and packs down into a tiny compression sack. The fabric of the new bag is cut on the bias (hence the name ‘spiral’) and so allows for more movement and stretching than a traditional straight cut bag. It was my biggest single expense, I love it. Didn’t need it much during the first couple of weeks (in May, from Lisbon) when we mostly stayed in hostels that provided bedding (including sheets and towels), but from Porto it was in use most nights and was wonderfully comfortable. I can imagine getting regular use from the bag as a comforter at home, as an extra layer on a cold night – so light weight, but so warm and cosy. I love it! You can see my full assessment of clothes and gear here

Like Magwood, I also use a Montbell Alpine Down Hugger thermal sheet bag (15 oz./425 G) with a Sea to Summit silk liner.
Evidently "Sea to Summit" has a newish down bag much like the Montbell, called Traveller at (13.7 oz./389 G).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm assuming that you already determined that you need a sleeping bag. On the rare nights I was cold on either camino that I did during September, I just used an albergue blanket. I don't need much additional insulation and, normally, my silk liner is all I need. My wife, on the other hand, gets cold very easily at night. She uses a special silk liner (http://seatosummit.com/products/display/90) that keeps her warm. If needed, she adds a blanket or socks. She reckons that if a blanket wasn't ever available in really cold conditions, she would just wear the next day's hiking pants and shirt. We didn't think the weight, size and cost of a sleeping bag was worth it for what appeared to be a luxury carry.

This year I swapped my synthetic mummy-shaped bag weighing 850 grams for a Mont Bell spiral down thermal sheet......
Magwood, do I understand correctly from the specs on the internet, that you can have the sides zipped up but (through use, I guess, of a double zip) have the foot part open? This would solve the dread I have of having my feet 'mummy' bound.
Suzanne :)

Yes @smj6 that is correct, it has a double zip. I also hate my feet to be restricted and I actually cut open the bottom seam of my silk liner this year for a bit of 'foot freedom' (but I used a treated undersheet for bed bug protection).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
LOVE the look of the Montbell! It's a bit expensive though. John uses a Poncho Liner, and it's what I took with me for November. It's light 800 gms , squashes down small, can be used as a blanket, or with the ties as a roomy bag with an open bottom. These cost around £20 to £30, and are available from Army Surplus stores, Amazon etcimage.jpg

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think that the first issue in considering which sleeping bag to take is whether or not you can handle down. Many people are allergic to feathers generally, or down specifically. Determine that first.

If you can use a down sleeping bag you have many choices for lightweight bags at all price ranges. I will not go into them, as others have, and I am allergic. However, I have used and can recommend two lightweight synthetic insulation sleeping bags.

On my first Camino in April - May, 2013 I used a 865 gram weight Snugpak "Traveller" sleeping bag. It is the identical bag to the Snugpak "Jungle" sleeping bag, complete to the bug screen, but in red or blue as opposed to the Jungle bag being olive or black. This bag was roomy as it was a semi-rectangular design and comfortable, if not a tad heavy.

This bag is made in the UK but is available worldwide. However, If you can buy it directly from the UK, you should compare the all-in cost, including postage, against the price you would pay locally. In the US, the prices are very inflated. I bought mine from www.outdoorgb.com and had it shipped to friends in Belgium. They held it until I went over to visit. This saved me nearly 50% overall.

On my second Camino, in April-May 2014, I experimented with a silk liner AND a Cool Max liner nested inside each other. This was very lightweight and very warm. However, it was such a pain to get into and out of as it did not have a full opening, that I ended up donating both items at Roncesvalles after my second night out from St. Jean Pied de Port. Thus, I needed to find another lightweight sleeping bag.

At Roncesvalles, I took the 0920 bus into Pamplona the following morning, as I had previously walked this two-day section, I did not fancy the mud awaiting me, the municipal albergue at Larrasoana, and I needed a new sleeping bag.

At Pamplona, on the way from the bus station to my hostal, I went into the El Corte Ingles department store and found the Altus Superlight sleeping bag that wayfarer mentions above. It only weighs 650 Grams all-in and is very small. It compresses to about the size of a coconut. I found it very comfortable. It also has a full separating zipper so it can be used as a quilt too.

My only caveat is that the Altus bag is more of a mummy shape than the Snugpak I originally used. I think that is where the weight savings between the two bags came in. But the Altus bag costs about €65. So, I was a happy "camper."

I have not yet decided which bag I will use in future Caminos. Even though I prefer to stay mostly in hostals and hotels whenever I can, one never knows when an albergue may be the only bed in town and the bag will be needed. Thus, I continue to recommend bringing one. So, the lightest sleeping bag that works and in which you fit comfortably seems to be the answer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a further to my post above. I just unpacked and hung in a spare closet both of my Camino sleeping bags.

I obtained a product called "Zip Care - Zipper Cleaner and Lubricant." It dries clean and clear, does not stain and does not contain silicone. The tip has a beveled brush for cleaning zips and applying the solution. I used it to treat all the zips on both sleeping bags. The bottle, with attached beveled brush, contains 2 0z (59 ml).

The Snugpak sleeping bag zips were so tight that the long second zip broke off while I was on Camino in 2013. So, this bag is no longer fully separating. I used tiny wire zip ties to permanently seal the main zip closed.

Given this experience, I took the precaution of securing the second / lower zip on the Altus mummy sleeping bag with a nylon zip tie so it cannot be used. This will avoid the same problem from occurring. The main zips on both bags operate correctly.

Once I applied the Zip Care to all the zips on BOTH bags as recommended the zips are MUCH better. They glide easily up and down, and much less likely to snag or jump their tracks. I found out the hard way this is a very good thing when you are trying to get out of a bag in the middle of the night when nature is calling loudly... That is how the second zip on the Snugpak bag got trashed. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

I recommend this product. The manufacturer's web site in the US is www.mcnett.com. I bought mine in my local REI shop. I think I may treat my rucksack and rain parka zips too, if they need it.

I hope this helps.

....I obtained a product called "Zip Care - Zipper Cleaner and Lubricant." ....... I recommend this product. I hope this helps.

Many thanks for this information, t2andreo. Having spent sometime last night rubbing dried soap on my fleece zip (with only minimum improvement), this product could be very useful, and I see Amazon sells it in France (my home base) so it appears to be easily obtainable.

Regards
Suzanne :)

Hola

Other possible lubricants for zippers are:

Vaseline oil
Petroleum gel
Candle vax
Olive oil
Soap

'Sewing machine oil', which cost a bundle in specialized shops, is in fact the same as Vaseline oil; acid free oil, and can be bought in larger packages cheaply (at hardware stores, etc).

Lettinggo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Other possible lubricants for zippers are:

Vaseline oil
Petroleum gel
Candle vax
Olive oil
Soap

'Sewing machine oil', which cost a bundle in specialized shops, is in fact the same as Vaseline oil; acid free oil, and can be bought in larger packages cheaply (at hardware stores, etc).

Lettinggo

My sole concern about some of these lubricants listed here is that they may contain petroleum distillates or vegetable oils, that can both stain and weaken synthetic fabrics we use in so many of the items we use for the Camino. Getting your zips to slide better is a good thing. Staining your gear in the process is not desirable.

The "Zip Care" product I mentioned above does not contain silicone. The label says it is "silicone free." It also does not smell like many of the natural or synthetic lubricants I use to maintain my firearms.

So, I concluded that it is neither silicone nor petroleum based. It DOES have the über light consistency and clear appearance of a personal lubricant (borderline TMI here). However, it is persistent following a water-only rinse. My best bet is that it is a plant based, water soluble oil-type product. But I am not a chemist...

This said, if I were to use any of the cheap to free substances listed above, I would opt for a plain, water-soluble soap.

I hope this helps.

My sole concern about some of these lubricants listed here is that they may contain petroleum distillates or vegetable oils, that can both stain and weaken synthetic fabrics we use in so many of the items we use for the Camino. Getting your zips to slide better is a good thing. Staining your gear in the process is not desirable.

The "Zip Care" product I mentioned above does not contain silicone. The label says it is "silicone free." It also does not smell like many of the natural or synthetic lubricants I use to maintain my firearms.

So, I concluded that it is neither silicone nor petroleum based. It DOES have the über light consistency and clear appearance of a personal lubricant (borderline TMI here). However, it is persistent following a water-only rinse. My best bet is that it is a plant based, water soluble oil-type product. But I am not a chemist...

This said, if I were to use any of the cheap to free substances listed above, I would opt for a plain, water-soluble soap.

I hope this helps.

Hi there

I had to look up the product to learn a little about it and there are many real good reviews of the product, especially for scuba gear zippers (read; though use and salt water).
The data sheet I found state that it in silicone free as well as it does not contain paraffin.
It also say that it is biodegradable, yet the recommendation if one gets it into ones eye is to rinse it for 15 min with water, which I find a bit odd.
A broken zipper is very annoying and I guess I will give the product a try for myself sometime.

That said, the list I provided was to indicate that there are other options and if one is on route on the Camino, the other products may be easier to get hold on and solve a current problem with a zipper.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Sleeping bag zippers--we were never allowed to zip up our bags in the army. and I still have the habit of not using the zippers. Got tired of hearing people say to not carry a sleeping bag last May and then find out they were only staying in hotels. We stayed in several places without blankets and slept on floors three times. Always take a bag...and pad.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
LOVE the look of the Montbell! It's a bit expensive though. John uses a Poncho Liner, and it's what I took with me for November. It's light 800 gms , squashes down small, can be used as a blanket, or with the ties as a roomy bag with an open bottom. These cost around £20 to £30, and are available from Army Surplus stores, Amazon etcView attachment 14932
I have a couple of those left over from my military days. They are very warm for their weight. I debated bringing one with me on my last Camino in June-July, but ended up leaving it at home.

Deuter Dreamlite 500 plus silk liner. Weighs 1.2 and folds down to the size of a water bottle. Hypoallergenic. I was there April/May (Frances), used this bag. Extra blankets if needed at albergues are woolen. I found them to be very clean that time of year, when needed (if needed to supplement the bags. I slept in my clothes as well. It is cold in April). This bag can be found on sale.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that you already determined that you need a sleeping bag. On the rare nights I was cold on either camino that I did during September, I just used an albergue blanket. I don't need much additional insulation and, normally, my silk liner is all I need. My wife, on the other hand, gets cold very easily at night. She uses a special silk liner (http://seatosummit.com/products/display/90) that keeps her warm. If needed, she adds a blanket or socks. She reckons that if a blanket wasn't ever available in really cold conditions, she would just wear the next day's hiking pants and shirt. We didn't think the weight, size and cost of a sleeping bag was worth it for what appeared to be a luxury carry.

+1 We agree 100%. We returned from our first Camino last month and the +40 degree Kelty down sleeping bags we carried were too much. Next time (May?); no sleeping bag. We'll do as described above. It makes the most sense from a need, weight and volume POV.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've just woken up from my first sleep under this fantastic quilt - arrived yesterday from the US and we're thrilled with them. Weight 15 ozs (0.43 kilo). No zip. Very simple. Opens out flat if you undo the foot box pull. Together with our silk sleeping bag liners (old but good) we should be fine in the tent.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/

Hi All, Thanks for the advice and recommendations on the different sleeping bags,
I have settled for Snugpak "Jungle" (an early Christmas Present from a nephew). I will purchase a silk liner later.
Happy Christmas to you all, ;-)
Kevin.

Hi All, Thanks for the advice and recommendations on the different sleeping bags,
I have settled for Snugpak "Jungle" (an early Christmas Present from a nephew). I will purchase a silk liner later.
Happy Christmas to you all, ;-)
Kevin.
Happy Christmas!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Kevin:

You will be pleased with the Snugpak bag. One suggestion is to make sure you lubricate the zips, all three of them (main, foot (sidewise) and face screen) BEFORE your first use. I did not know to do this and broke the bottom bit of the two-way main zip the first night out on my first Camino.

When the Snugpak bags are new, the zips are very tight and prone to snagging on the thin outer sack material. One good snag combined with a hard "yank" in the middle of the night was enough to derail the main side zipper. I eventually lost the zip thingie. So the Snugpak now has a one-way main zip which is fine by me. A friend sewed the bottom bit together so it cannot separate.

Forewarned is forearmed. However, the bag is of excellent quality and manufacture. For a synthetic fill bag, it is one of the lightest sleeping bags available. The only lighter bag I've come across it the Altus Superlight 600, a mummy shape.

One final point, I learned that the best way to store this, or any sleeping bag for that matter is to hang it vertically from the loops (provided at the bottom of the sleeping bag. This allows the insulation to loft and remain its insulative properties. Keeping the sleeping bag compressed for storage is NOT a good idea.

I found this out after leaving my Snugpak compressed for over a year. I hung it for several weeks then used a blow dryer on LOW TEMP (COOL) setting to fluff the fill from the inside out. My Snugpak, as well as the slimmer Altus 600 gm mummy bag are both happy campers now.

Eventually, I will store both of them folded over a dowel, with a cord attached to each end, in a closet. This way they are half as long in the closet. I plan to compress them shortly before packing my rucksack for the next Camino but not before.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back