• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag

ton vaessen

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Starting 25 march 2015 from Sevilla
I'm starting 25 march in Sevilla. Is it necessary to bring along a sleeping bag? I don't want to carry it if I need it only once or twice. Will a liner bag be sufficient (for hygienic reasons)
Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will begin my Camino April 1 and I'm also curious as to what type of sleeping bag is necessary for this route.
I did the Camino Frances in late June of 2012 and all I brought with me was a thin sleeping liner which was perfect during that summer season.
At REI I was told since I'll be sleeping indoors to just purchase a travel sack which is thicker then a sleeping liner yet not quite a sleeping bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag#tab-reviews

What's an appropriate option during April- May on Via De La Plata?

I've done the VdlP twice in November/December and never felt the need for more than a liner, and assume the temperatures will be warmer in April. As far as I can remember, all the albergues had blankets, except for Zamora,which was almost over-heated anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will begin my Camino April 1 and I'm also curious as to what type of sleeping bag is necessary for this route.
I did the Camino Frances in late June of 2012 and all I brought with me was a thin sleeping liner which was perfect during that summer season.
At REI I was told since I'll be sleeping indoors to just purchase a travel sack which is thicker then a sleeping liner yet not quite a sleeping bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag#tab-reviews

What's an appropriate option during April- May on Via De La Plata?
Great question -- I plan on hitting the Camino on 29 March 2015 -- right now I am planning on taking a light weight sleeping bag and a silk liner -- may switch to a woobie and liner -- for now watching the weather and will probably stick to the light weight sleeping bag w/liner -- can always unzip it if it gets too hot -- nothing worse than a cold night's sleep - have had too many of those to count -- not sure that helps, but wishing you all the best.

Thank you Alan! I'll just pack a sleeping liner then as I dislike having unnecessary weight.

...At REI I was told since I'll be sleeping indoors to just purchase a travel sack which is thicker then a sleeping liner yet not quite a sleeping bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag#tab-review
Still vacillating about what sleeping bag to take (September Camino) so always interested in other opinions on this subject (weight Vs price Vs warmth Vs packing volume ....). So I quickly checked this travel sack. Whilst a very good price, I was taken back to see it weighs 0.8 kgs which I consider heavy!! At the moment a quilt + silk liner seems to cover all the bases (although not such a good price as the REI Travel sack!
Suzanne :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will gladly be carrying my 0.9kg sleeping bag on my September/October Camino Francés as I don't like trying to sleep cold and don't want to take the chance.

I'm starting 25 march in Sevilla. Is it necessary to bring along a sleeping bag? I don't want to carry it if I need it only once or twice. Will a liner bag be sufficient (for hygienic reasons)
Thanks

Hello, ton vaessen. I was on the VdlP from October-April, 2009-2010. It was quite a chilly experience. Here's a link

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.7253/#post-55584
[Scroll down to '7 April, 2010 Three months later...']

Happy planning,
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Sleeping bag liners typically weight around 300 to 400 grams with some silk versions weighing less and fleece ones weighing more. A lightweight down sleeping bag which would provide much more warmth could weight as little as 500 to 800 grams (think Zpacks.com or Marmot).

Always knowing that you'll sleep warmly opens up vast space for other thoughts along the way.

:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked two caminos (Frances and Portuguese) in April/May and live in Andalucia. I wouldn't dream of leaving home at this time of year without my sleeping bag. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on Albergue blankets either, because of availability or hygiene. I have a very lightweight (around 400 grams) down sleeping bag that can zip open to be used as a blanket, and I take a silk liner. Both these items will be in my pack when I set off on the Camino Mozarabe second week in April.

Last edited:
I've bought myself a 200 x 150 cm microfibre throw. It's warm and weighs peanuts - less than 500gm including the nylon compression sack I made for it - so that includes a zip + 4 compression straps. It scrunches up into a smaller space than my down sleeping bag. Another advantage of the throw is that I can roll myself up in it if it's cold, or just use it as an extra blanket.
I'll be taking my silk liner to go with it.

I have walked two caminos (Frances and Portuguese) in April/May and live in Andalucia. I wouldn't dream of leaving home at this time of year without my sleeping bag. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on Albergue blankets either, because of availability or hygiene. I have a very lightweight (around 400 grams) down sleeping bag that can zip open to be used as a blanket, and I take a silk liner. Both these items will be in my pack when I set off on the Camino Mozarabe second week in April.
Sound Advice.
Good to hear from a native /. Thankyou
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the VdlP April / May 2014. I carried a light sleeping bag and silk liner, used both together or apart as needed. This worked well for me
Buen camino
Thsnks everyone for the reactions, I think I'll taken0 my allready bought sleeping bag (700 trams) If not needed I can allways find another destination for it along the road.
Ton Vaessen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
Can you buy a light weight sleeping bag on the way if you see that you need one ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Barbara!
I haven't walked the VdlP yet but I do know there is a Decathlon outside Salamanca. There might well be one on the outskirts of the other largish cities.
When are you planning to walk?

Hello Barbara!
I haven't walked the VdlP yet but I do know there is a Decathlon outside Salamanca. There might well be one on the outskirts of the other largish cities.
When are you planning to walk?
Thanks for your answer domigee. It helps to know that if a sleeping bag becomes necessary, it may be purchased on the way at some point.
I am planning to start walking VdlP around end of April but my exact date is not yet fixed. What about you ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh you're so lucky, that's very soon!
Starting early June, hoping it won't be too hot...
I wish you a very 'buen camino' :)

"Buen camino" to you also :)
Early June should come quite quickly,..

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back