• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag

Sara Jane Walsh

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
What am I looking for in a sleeping bag to do the Camino in September? I weigh 100 lbs and I tend to get cold more so than others so I want to be comfortable, but not stifling. How much should my bag weigh, does it fit into the backpack, etc. I do not want anything bulky that will weigh me down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola and welcome Sara. you do not say where you live so suggestions may vary from what you can buy. We like the 'Snugpac' range of sleeping bags as thet come in various weights and warmth levels. If in the UK then Mountain Warehouse have a good range too - they may be available elsewhere. Some folk suggest a down bag as lighter weight and greater warmth for less bulk when packed but we have used the synthetic bags successfully. I too feel the cold and my Snugpac bag weighed 750gms and was fine except on really cold nights on the Primitivo (May 2012) when I added a blanket on top. I think its comfort level is 5C and I do not use a liner with it to save bulk and also I dislike them.

The question is really how much do you want to spend and where are you living? Light, small, warm, good quality and not too expensive is what you are looking for. For September I would suggest a 3 season sleeping bag. You also will need to decide if you prefer a rectangular or a mummy shape. Best thing you can do, is going to an outdoor shop and just look at and feel the different models before deciding on one.
Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am going to be carrying everything and I weigh 100 lbs. I want something warm and easy to fit in my backpack. Am I dreaming? I do not know where to begin. So far I have gained a little knowledge, but I am relying on all of the experienced Pilgrims out there.

You still haven't told us, roughly, where you live. That does affect your shopping options ... SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is seems to be a Bass Pro shop closer by, perhaps that would be an option? SY

There is seems to be a Bass Pro shop closer by, perhaps that would be an option? SY
SY, admittedly I have never been to a Bass Pro Shop, but "our kind of camping equipment" is not their expertise. There is one about 30 minutes drive from where I live in Florida.
I'll visit it next winter and send you a report. Promise!
Maybe Mark Lee can chime in on this question.
Personally, I could survive quite well in a silk liner under and warm albergue wool blanket during the month of September.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My suggestion to go to an outdoor shop first to have a look around on what is available was based on
... I do not know where to begin. ...
as alone the varieties of shapes (rectangular, quilt, mummy) can be mildly bewildering for somebody completely new to the topic. SY

SY, admittedly I have never been to a Bass Pro Shop, but "our kind of camping equipment" is not their expertise. There is one about 30 minutes drive from where I live in Florida. I'll visit it next winter and send you a report. Promise! Maybe Mark Lee can chime in on this question.
Personally, I could survive quite well in a silk liner under and warm albergue wool blanket during the month of September.
Been to Bass Pro here near Baton Rouge and in Katy, Texas. A man could go broke in that place buying toys, ha ha.
They have sleeping bags I am sure, but I think one could find better deals on amazon.com and with free shipping in a lot of cases.
Also, I agree. In September one could get away with just using a silk liner. Cheaper, packs smaller and lighter, but if you must have a sleeping bag definitely get the lightest one for warm weather.

Bass Pro is really not much better than Sports Authority for this kind of stuff, alas. The lack of good outdoor stores in S FL is a mystery to me, too.

EDIT You might try Peter Glenn. Their emphasis is on ski stuff, but they do carry Osprey packs and technical clothing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bass Pro is really not much better than Sports Authority for this kind of stuff, alas. The lack of good outdoor stores in S FL is a mystery to me, too.

EDIT You might try Peter Glenn. Their emphasis is on ski stuff, but they do carry Osprey packs and technical clothing.

Even though you get cold more easily than others, I'd still go with a light weight bag. I found most of the albergues were unbelievably warm at that time of year. (All that body heat) Good luck.

What am I looking for in a sleeping bag to do the Camino in September? I weigh 100 lbs and I tend to get cold more so than others so I want to be comfortable, but not stifling. How much should my bag weigh, does it fit into the backpack, etc. I do not want anything bulky that will weigh me down.

I prefer what is called a hostel bag. IT should be available in any good quality camping/hiking shop. I bought mine in Ottawa at Mountain Equipment Co-op and it is the store brand. The bag has a thin cotton sheet on one side and a quilted blanket on the other. It is versatile enough to handle autumn weather if you are on a bed (quilt on top) or summer weather (sheet on top). If staying in hostels/albergues/refugios ie blankets are almost always available to supplement the bag. If staying in hotels you won't need to worry about it. If camping something a little heavier might be appropriate depending on your shelter options. Don't forget you can also layer your clothing on those nights which might dip a little colder than forecast. Remember most floors are hardwood and or concrete based so will be much colder than a mattress.

Have fun exploring your options,

Jim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Twenty-bucks, weighs a pound and a half. Get it at your local Wal-Mart.
I know there are those on here who would accuse me of blasphemy for saying this, but when planning and purchasing gear for walking the Camino you don't need to go out and spend a fortune buying high-tech, high end equipment designed for long, technical hikes in the mountains or wilderness where you spend your nights outdoors.
Besides, a great deal of the expensive high-tech stuff is manufactured overseas, in second and third-world countries, in sweat shops, by people being paid low wages. Same as the more inexpensive stuff. It just has a different label on it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Envelope-50F-Sleeping-Bag-Green/34109022

How small will that pack up, Mark? I have one something like that, but it would entirely fill my backpack, even in a compression sack, no matter how hard I try to squoosh it down.

I bought Mountain Hardware Phantom 45 bags for my wife and I. Did not need or carry them for a summer Caminio (July August 2014). But the bags are really light (about a pound), and really warm. And really expensive. Worth it for me because I do a lot of backpacking and they make a great summer-in-the-mountains bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sara
I like my 'sea to summit' sleeping bag. Very light, easy to stuff back quickly, unzips completely if you prefer into flat cover. Zipped up you can still leave open at feet or pull cord to close off. I see it mentioned a lot here by others too.
Google sea to summit as there is plenty of info and explanation on line and choice. You can buy on line.

Buen Camino.
Annie

How small will that pack up, Mark? I have one something like that, but it would entirely fill my backpack, even in a compression sack, no matter how hard I try to squoosh it down.
Don't know the exact dimensions, but the ones I've seen in the store were about the size of a football I suppose, when in their stuff sack.

Thanks, Mark Lee.

Annie, the Sea to Summit Traveler is darned hard to find right now, for some reason. No dealer in the US has it anymore.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sara
I like my 'sea to summit' sleeping bag. Very light, easy to stuff back quickly, unzips completely if you prefer into flat cover. Zipped up you can still leave open at feet or pull cord to close off. I see it mentioned a lot here by others too.
Google sea to summit as there is plenty of info and explanation on line and choice. You can buy on line.

Buen Camino.
Annie
Annie,
Very helpful. Thank you.

Sorry. I live in Fort Lauderdale.
Hi. I live I Delray Beach and I am just starting to plan to go in September also. I found Peter Glenn to be a great store. Let me know if you want to get in touch as we live very close. I'm trying to figure out the route I'm going to take when I get there and the planes, trains, buses etc to start the walk Ellen

Just to update, I was finally able to get the Traveller from REI, although it was backordered a while.

Very light and packs down to the size of a water bottle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I live I Delray Beach and I am just starting to plan to go in September also. I found Peter Glenn to be a great store. Let me know if you want to get in touch as we live very close. I'm trying to figure out the route I'm going to take when I get there and the planes, trains, buses etc to start the walk Ellen

I would love to get in touch with you. Tell me your thoughts on how and when we could hook up with each other.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very helpful thread - I am from Cape Town, South Africa, and will be starting my journey in Lisbon on the 26th of September. I first have to go to a conference in Perth (Oz) and need different clothes etc (which I will send home) for that partnof the trip. I can sleep in a sleeping bag (i am 6"3 and fidget too much at night). I have been reading about a fleece blanket? Will I be able to buy that in Lisbon? Or should I get it in Australia? Any advice?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, unfortunately it is, but I was able to get a much better price by joining REI when they had a sale + a special + etc. But the back order was so long I was looking into alternatives because I really didn't expect to get it before Sept when I leave.

A reminder to everyone to use the "Private Conversations" facility to exchange personal information. Click on the link towards the top of the page, in the middle, (next to "recent posts" in green, in the picture below). That will open a new page with a big blue button "Start a New Conversation".

image.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.