• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag?

Roxey

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 2016)
I plan to do the Camino starting in late April 2016. I have been advised to go with a silk sleeping bag liner instead of carrying the extra weight of a sleeping bag. Apparently the silk keeps you warm enough. Would appreciate other thoughts on this option.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Roxey,

April and even May can be quite cold.
The real question is if you are a "cold" or a "warm" sleeper...
For me (Caminos between September and November), I was always enjoying my sleeping bag:
it's warm, especially when I come out of a cold shower (at least cold for me)
if the temperature is high enough, I simply don't close it
it's really comfy, for me it's my "home"
Hope it helps...

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started the Camino Frances in Roncevalles April 22, 2015. I carried only a silk liner. Most albergues had blankets available. When they were not visible, I learned to ask. Whenever it was cold, I soon learned to wear socks or other clothing to bed if needed. I also had a long-sleeved silk underwear top that was useful both at night and walking early on cold mornings. I carried no sweater or fleece, just a rain/windbreaker. My wife made me a light "buff" from some stretchy material that was also very useful on cold nights and cold mornings when I pulled it up over my ears and head. I also carried polypro liner gloves. Using the available combinations of extras whenever needed, I was fine carrying the silk liner with no sleeping bag. After the Camino Frances, I walked the last 100+ km of the Portuguese and the Inglés, leaving Spain on July 12. I am 70. If I were going to add anything, I might bring a pair of silk long john bottoms, but I doubt that I would have used more than a few times. Individual tolerances vary, but I was fine and happy that I had avoided the extra weight of a sleeping bag.

It comes down to how cold is cold. I took one rated for temps well below freezing and was still cold--wearing silk thermals, socks, LS shirt and pants, fleece vest and hat. If my gortex wasn't hanging up to dry I'd have been in that also.

I'd suggest looking up average and record cold temps for the area you will be walking. This winter turn your heat down or off on nights similar to those temps, open a window, and climb into a silk sleep sack. It's easier (and cheaper) to shop for an ultra light or light wt sleeping bag now than in the first town on the Camino you reach after deciding it's too cold. I think :) ....

Hi Roxey,

My wife and I started our Camino in September of 2014 from St. Jean Pied de Port. By the time I got Roncesvalles it was clear we needed to lighten our packs significantly. I pared down to “wearing” clothes and “washing” clothes- and little more. One of the things I had jettisoned was my light weight sleeping bag. I was carrying a hostel sack which I kept. I was way comfortable until we approached the Cantabrias, where it started to get cold at night. Most albergues gladly provided blankets when asked; some even set them out at night. I did have a very cold night in Fromista, after which I bought a small fleece blanket which, with the fleece sleep sack, tee shirt, socks, etc. (my walking clothes), did the trick on those colder nights up in Galicia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started my journey first week in May this year. There was still snow on the ground as we went over the Napoleon Way. However I dragged a zero sleeping bag(i didnt want to get rid of it because it was a good one) all the way. If you think a silk bag wont be enough and a good sleeping bag to much, buy a cheap lite weight one of ebay.
A/ they are light. B/ they are small. And C/ unlike sleeping sacks they zip open to make a large blanket. I found all albergue I stayed in to be very insulated, and yes 90% have blankets.
Its one of those questions that comes with a "should I?" or "shouldn't I?" If I was going again at the same time. Id leave it behind for sure and take the cheap one hands down. As has been said socks and a blanket if it gets cold.
Hope that lessens the confusion.
Craig

I walked Sevilla-Astorga-Santiago this April-May. Except for Sevilla, it was a challenge to keep warm. Many hostels weren't heated, some didn't have blankets. I took only a thin bag, more like a liner. Regretted that. I sleep cold, and should have brought a decent bag. Cutting weight is important, until you lose a night's sleep freezing cold and damp. Even wearing all my clothes didn't help. The look on some hospitalero's faces when you confess that you didn't pack for own needs is also not fun! In particular, the municipal and donativo albergues will not be impressed.

I plan to do the Camino starting in late April 2016. I have been advised to go with a silk sleeping bag liner instead of carrying the extra weight of a sleeping bag. Apparently the silk keeps you warm enough. Would appreciate other thoughts on this option.
If you are in Canada, check MEC for their Intrepid Traveler. It is a perfect cross between a liner and a bag. It is softly quilted on one side and packs into a small net stuff bag and very light. Mine kept me toastie warm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't have to have a bag that is real heavy. H we are using a bag made by World Famous Sports which is good down to 40 degrees and weighs 22oz. That plus a silk sleep sack is good down to 30 degrees not that we will need it, but it available. We are walking in March and April.
Ultreya
Buen Camino

I will be walking the same time and I will most definitely bring my real sleeping bag. If I feel I don´t need it further along the way I will think of getting rid of it and buying a sheet instead but I have been reading quite a bit and it seems best to be safe than sorry and just bring it.

Personally I would FREEZE without my bag.
Two years ago I froze in Santo Domingo del Calzada in JUNE.
Get a lightweight down bag if you can afford it, or a lightweight down blanket.
Check hammocking websites.
Or, do what I did.
I bought a good down sleeping bag - lightweight - and I cut out the hood and zipper using my serger and made my own blanket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will def. take my lightweight sleepingbag with me next time. Only this year at my August Camino Portugues I took a liner and even then I was happy that the albergues provided blankets. Liner of 150 grams and lightweight sleepingbag of 650 gr. I will take the extra 500 gr.

On my first 3 Caminos I only tool a liner plus one of the ultralight polysothing or other balanket used on airplanes (back in the day when there was actual service :rolleyes:) but on that 3rd I froze, day after day, after day. It was May of 2013. Had to buy a bag in Burgos, and had 2 models to pick from: both heavish , mummy shaped and expensive. Since that Camino I have bought a new sleeping bag at MEC and bing it. I walk in late May to Mid June and again mid sept. to mid-october and enjoy its comfort.

Such great suggestions. I think all equipment questions boil down to a motto my marathon coach beat into me: "nothing new on race day." Unless you live in Spain (and quiting to try again another day is easy) the Camino is not the place to buy or try out new equipment except for an emergency (like hotel ironed/melted your tech socks when you gave them your laundry bag).

You should use all of your clothes, footwear, toiletries (turns out those shampoo "leaves" sold at REI don't work for me), sleeping bag ahead of time at home under conditions as close to your planned walk so you (a) know how to pack/unpack quickly and quietly (and correctly) --without spreading out in a living room bc you will be limited in space (b) know how to unfold those poles (c) know your shoes work (d) know clothes don't chafe and how long it takes for them to dry etc. ...be really happy with, confident in, and familiar using everything in (and including) your pack, and on your body.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I did the Camino del Norte May 2-June 8 2015. I had a silk sack and many nights wished I carried a light sleeping bag. I often wore a wool shirt and/or puff jacket to bed. I love winter and I am usually hot!
You will find blankets at most of the Alburgues but better control of potential bugs with your own gear.

Hello Roxey. I will be starting mid-April, and after much thinking/reading/research, decided to bring a silk liner and a packable down blanket I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D47MVW/?tag=casaivar02-20. I'm a warm sleeping, we turn our heat down to 50 degrees at night, and I still often open the window at night. But there seems to be a lot of variability in conditions in albergues, and I'd rather know I will be comfortable at night. And I thought snuggling up in a down blanket during the day to rest sounded pretty good too......

Buen Camino!

Hi Roxey, I am starting April 11 and will be taking my down Sea to Summit TR1 bag. It is very lightweight (390gm), packs down to a tiny size and unzips to an open blanket. Has a drawstring closure at the foot end which I like because I'm one of the people who throws her feet outside the blankets! I just feel it covers a lot of bases without much weight. After a long day walking I don't want to have a sleepless night being cold. I paid $175 Aust online.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am firmly in the pro-sleeping bag camp also ;-) Like others have said, it can be still cold at night that time of the year, albergues might not always have heating/turn it on or have few or no blankets. As for weight, a good light sleeping bag can be found around ~600g your silk liner weight ~250g which means if you exchange it for a sleeping bag your carry effectively only ~350g more weight and most likely be much more comfortable and also self-reliant when it comes to heating/blankets.

Buen Camino! SY

If you are in Canada, check MEC for their Intrepid Traveler. It is a perfect cross between a liner and a bag. It is softly quilted on one side and packs into a small net stuff bag and very light. Mine kept me toastie warm.
That's what I took, and froze in April/May. And I'm a Canadian who sleeps with windows open year round. It all depends on if you sleep hot or cold, how cold and wet you may have gotten during the day, and if the hostel supplies heat, hot water, and blankets.
Brrrr. I could do with a down comforter just thinking about it.

That's what I took, and froze in April/May. And I'm a Canadian who sleeps with windows open year round. It all depends on if you sleep hot or cold, how cold and wet you may have gotten during the day, and if the hostel supplies heat, hot water, and blankets.
Brrrr. I could do with a down comforter just thinking about it.
Sorry it didn't work so well for you. Our weather was so beautiful going out of Sept and into Oct, although toward end of Oct, it definitely got chillier, but I sleep in long johns and a merino top, so was very comfortable. And yes, some sleep hot, and some sleep cool.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Roxey, I remember you from Parksville; I sang in the choir at Knox. I moved to Victoria last year. I just returned from the Camino. Send me a personal mail and I can share some things. Maggie

I would not have done my trip this October without my sleeping bag. I had an existing lightweight one from camping/hiking and you can find one that is not much more weight than a silk liner. As others have mentioned, it is a personal preference.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year I bought myself a bigger, warmer and heavier sleeping bag, and I'm very happy about it. I don't need to struggle to put on my fleece jacket at scarf inside the sleeping bag when I wake up freezing in the middle of the night, I can turn around inside the bag without having the bag turning with me, I can spread out more when I sleep and don't wake up with cramped legs so often, and I'm more rested when I wake up. My husband is happy with his microlight bag, I'm happy to carry 500 g extra.

I have walked sections of the Camino twice, in late March into late April. First time a far-too-heavy and bulky sleeping bag....foolish me. The second time I brought an "outer-bag" which I bought at MEC. 1/3 the weight, 1/2 the bulk. It was just great. I hung up my micro-towel (to dry after the shower) as a "curtain" for additional privacy in my lower bunk. I wore merino wool undergarments including smart wool socks and a light cap at night and these would double as extra warmth if the weather turned cold. Yes! There was snow a few times! There are always wool blankets in the albergues which I rarely needed, maybe just across my feet. I was very happy with the way I set up my "home-away-from-home".
Hope this helps!
Susan of Canada

Hi Roxey. I walked part of the Camino in mid-April 2014. It was cold at night through Galicia and I'm glad I had a lightweight sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees F (5 C). It only weighed about 1.25 pounds (560 gr) and was well worth the weight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Roxy! I'm from Nanoose so wouldn't be surprised if we've crossed paths somewhere back home!! As for the sleeping bag, I've not walked in April but I did in February and although two months would certainly make quite a difference in temp, there was no way possible to be without a sleeping bag in February. I had one night where the temp hovered just above freezing inside the Albergue! Fortunately I had a -7c sleeping bag and was comfy however the chattering teeth around me really kept me from having a deep sleep :)
Good luck with your planning and wishing you a very Buen Camino!!

My two nieces will be walking mid-June to mid-July 2016 and staying in albergues. I have suggested to them that they don't need a sleeping bag, only a sleeping bag liner, but to bring long underwear tops and bottoms in case it gets cold. If they sleep cold, do you think they need sleeping bags? I'm also wondering if it's risky to rely on blankets from albergues due to risk of bed bugs.

I think that the question whether you should bring a sleeping bag is unanswerable by anyone but you. The only question I can answer is whether I needed a sleeping bag and in what temps I feel ok without one. There is a huge variation in our "body temperature regulators," so much so that I frequently sleep in my fleece and in my sleeping bag next to people who are on top of their bags in light clothing. If you are the person who always wears a sweater in the airconditioning or is quick to pull out gloves and a jacket as fall wanes, then you are more like me and are likely to need a bag. I walk only in spring and summer and I always carry a sleeping bag and I always use it. But then I also always carry lambswool gloves and always use them as well! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd advise the sleeping bag, plus a mat. Yes, April weather at those altitudes can be chilly -- but also, not all of the Refugios might be open, and scarce beds are a possibility, particularly given the crowd-avoiding crowds of the Camino. Also, bedbug peril !!! And thin blankets.

I tend to carry the military sort myself, for my own reasons, but an ultra-light sports bag would likely serve your needs better.

I think that the question whether you should bring a sleeping bag is unanswerable by anyone but you. The only question I can answer is whether I needed a sleeping bag and in what temps I feel ok without one. There is a huge variation in our "body temperature regulators," so much so that I frequently sleep in my fleece and in my sleeping bag next to people who are on top of their bags in light clothing. If you are the person who always wears a sweater in the airconditioning or is quick to pull out gloves and a jacket as fall wanes, then you are more like me and are likely to need a bag. I walk only in spring and summer and I always carry a sleeping bag and I always use it. But then I also always carry lambswool gloves and always use them as well! Buen camino, Laurie

Yes, but there's also a more crass financial question, as well as the more noble question of those starting from further away than SJPP

Those walking the Francès with sufficient finances and in the warm months and few time constraints can leave their sleeping bag at home.

The cooler months, financial imperfection, and a non-standard route are all necessaries for a sleeping bag IMO

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don't have one, buy the lightest bag you can justify purchasing. My 0 degC down bag weighs one half kilo (1 lb). I prefer down as it is lightest and packs smaller than synthetics. That said, I once spent the most miserable night in a soggy wet snowstorm in the Sierras—in a down bag. A synthetic bag would have been better suited for that night. Also, consider a mummy shaped bag as they weigh less, having less material in their construction. A great option if this is your only use is a, REI Travel Sack. The Travel Sack is synthetic, inexpensive and fairly light at less than two pounds. If traveling in cooler months (like April), add a silk liner. I prefer not wearing all those clothes at night that I must wear during the day. With a silk liner, then a lightweight hostel bag (like the REI bag) you have lots of options. Or, use a down bag for cold months or if you tend to sleep cold.

I did my first Camino in May/June 2014 and took a sleeping bag. It was so warm I hardly used it, so this year in May/June I just took a silk liner. Most of the Albergues I stayed in had blankets available. It was all I needed apart from a couple of cooler nights when I slept fully dressed which was fine.

I will be back in May/June next year with just a silk liner.

My addition to this discussion - has anyone walked in winter (late Jan - early Feb) without a sleeping bag? How did you go?

I want to travel as light as possible but also don't want to be too cold at night if no blankets are provided in the few albergues that will be open. I'm from the sub-tropics so am not acclimated to cold weather (anything under 20'C is cold for me).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My addition to this discussion - has anyone walked in winter (late Jan - early Feb) without a sleeping bag? How did you go?

I want to travel as light as possible but also don't want to be too cold at night if no blankets are provided in the few albergues that will be open. I'm from the sub-tropics so am not acclimated to cold weather (anything under 20'C is cold for me).

I would never dream to walk any Camino in Europe in winter without a sleeping bag! Buen Camino, SY

in case you decide to go with a liner, perhaps you may consider to take also an emergency blanket (that shiny one). weights no more than 100g and may be indispensable in some situations. wrapping first in the blanket and then pulling over a liner should work well if things get cold.

Get a lightweight down bag if you can afford it, or a lightweight down blanket.
Check hammocking websites.
A down (or synthetic) blanket or "top quilt" is ideal since you'll be sleeping on mattresses which provide all the insulation you need. I prefer one with a foot box, but that's personal.

I think all equipment questions boil down to a motto my marathon coach beat into me: "nothing new on race day."
Absolutely!

I also echo those who recommend dressing with extra clothes when needed. I used a merino base (underwear, socks, and tee-shirts) as a constant minimum (merino really helps here compared to any other fabric), but often also wore my clean shirt and pants for the next day, mostly because it made for a fast and quiet departure, but it also helped on cooler nights.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
in case you decide to go with a liner, perhaps you may consider to take also an emergency blanket (that shiny one). weights no more than 100g and may be indispensable in some situations. wrapping first in the blanket and then pulling over a liner should work well if things get cold.
The shiny emergency blanket may keep you warm:), but it will really heat up your surrounding sleepers as they start a slow burning smolder :mad: because of the constant crinkle of your emergency blanket o_O.

The shiny emergency blanket may keep you warm:), but it will really heat up your surrounding sleepers as they start a slow burning smolder :mad: because of the constant crinkle of your emergency blanket o_O.

Well, thats why they call it emergency ...

Well, thats why they call it emergency ...
I guess I would consider "emergency" to be getting trapped by weather on the pass from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, or ending up in a field because there truly were no beds to be found. I don't consider an emergency to be getting cold in an albergue because I chose to save 150 extra grams in my pack; that's a failure to plan.

But I might just be cranky after having endured several nights with emergency blankets crinkling all night long, and given the number of other complaining pilgrims at the bar the next morning, I wasn't alone. In the holy quest to save weight, I think consideration of our impact to other pilgrims is also appropriate.

On the flip side, it's also an opportunity for those who did plan to practice patience and charity, so it's not completely without merit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you don't have one, buy the lightest bag you can justify purchasing.

This is great advice for most people -- the heavier sleeping bags are essential for those needing to sometimes sleep outdoors, or walking in not-summer, or taking a longer or non-standard route, but an ultralight sleeping bag will be perfect cover for most ordinary emergency possibilities on the Francès.

A down (or synthetic) blanket or "top quilt" is ideal since you'll be sleeping on mattresses which provide all the insulation you need. I prefer one with a foot box, but that's personal.

Yes. Mine has a footbox because it used to be my sleeping bag!

O
I agree, these things should be banned from albergues as they keep everyone up. You will not be making friends!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If there is one peice of equipment you will need after shoes and socks it's your sleeping bag. Not sleeping well night after night will take its toll on you, much more than carrying an extra half pound. If anything under 20C feels cold to you you would be miserable without a decent sleeping bag.

You might want to check the Spanish Weather Agency site - http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos?l=9263D&k=nav is the link for the normal (ie average) climate conditions for Pamplona. If that doesn't convince you, try http://www.aemet.es/es/servicioscli...0&k=nav&l=9263D&datos=det&x=9263D&m=2&v=todos the extremes.

I will be walking in May and have been researching temperatures for that time and also reading the forums. I know I sleep cold so decided to upgrade my older, heavier backpacking bag for a lighter one specifically made for women. The new one is down, rated for 32 degrees and weighs under 2 lbs. It will be cozy and if it is warm I can unzip it :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems most people are talking about the Camino Frances. How about the Via de la Plata in April-May? I had been planning to only bring a silk liner, but now I don't know.

I walked Jan 22 - Feb 23 and carried a -7c down-filled sleeping bag that weighs in around 3.5lbs (1.6kg) and can say that I definitely needed some nights. Because it is winter there are fewer Albergues open and some other them either didn't have heating systems or perhaps since it was very few of us around, they kept them turned off. Either way, when it was hovering around freezing inside the Albergue at night I was grateful for that bag. To be fair on the other side, I could probably count on one hand the number of times it was like that, most nights were plenty warm and found me unzipping the bag and just using like a blanket. For the slight weight of carrying the bag I know I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again when we leave in November for our next winter camino. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.