• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag

BeeHodge

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi all

I am all packed ready to leave for Bordeaux tomorrow .. my sack is about 10kg and I weigh about 60kg, so it's pretty heavy!

My sleeping bag and waterproof trousers and coat weighed a total of 5kg!!

Is it really necc to take a sleeping bag as I will be staying in albergues?

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you're not impoverished, or a maniac "purist" like me, or something, then no, the sleeping bag isn't a necessary but an optional.

Although this early in the year, even though the season is starting pretty hot, one might still be helpful from time to time.

Your waterproof trousers do sound more like an unnecessary than the rest ; and do you need your coat ?

That is a heck of a weight for those three items. About 1kg for a sleeping bag and something similar for an Altus type poncho or goretex jacket and trews seems more reasonable. Are you sure about those weights? What sort of materials are we talking about?
There is a Decathalon in Bordeaux

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Bee

If you are sleeping in the albergues you have to bring some type of bedding. A sleeping bag liner is much lighter than a sleeping bag. Some albergues have blankets, but not all. Rather than taking such heavy rain clothes, just make sure you have something dry to wear after your legs get wet, and stop early on rainy days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you're not impoverished, or a maniac "purist" like me, or something, then no, the sleeping bag isn't a necessary but an optional.

Although this early in the year, even though the season is starting pretty hot, one might still be helpful from time to time.

Your waterproof trousers do sound more like an unnecessary than the rest ; and do you need your coat ?

It's a waterproof coat ... thought it is more a necessity than the sleeping bag though?

Are you comfortable walking with the weight? If so, chill. If not, leave something. However, it seems that you have an absolute monster of a sleeping bag! https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-20-sleeping-bag-id_8501650.html is £6.99 and 550g. (Bordeaux has quite a nice Decathlon but its a bit of a trek from the city centre but there are buses).

Hi all

I am all packed ready to leave for Bordeaux tomorrow .. my sack is about 10kg and I weigh about 60kg, so it's pretty heavy!

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee
In August I used a sleep sac but this time of year you will want something warmer. Alburgues basically give you a bed with a mattress, some might rent sheets. I don’t think I would use their blankets because of my allergic reactions to beg bugs. Can you find a lighter sleeping bag or eliminate the waterproof trousers?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee
Wow, that’s a lot of weight for those three items. Since you’re leaving tomorrow it’s hard to know what to tell you. By way of comparison, my Mar/Apr kit for the same items is 1.7 kilos (sleeping bag = 936g, rain pants = 255g, jacket = 541g). My sleeping bag was good down to 5c. That was plenty warm. I found rain pants were an area where I could save a lot of weight. The first pair I bought were way over engineered. I’m a fan of sleeping bags, but if yours is too heavy I’d try and find a lighter weight alternative post haste.

Lighter sleeping bag. You need one but not heavy or large. 5-600g max

Dump the rain coat and pants. I did the same thing, bought a set that was too heavy. I have a rain jacket from Regatta that was about C$30 and just bought a rain kilt that weighs 65g. So rain gear now is 1/10th of what it was, weight wise. And the jacket with a fleece sweater keeps me toasty right down to 0C, even with a bit of wind.

The problem is that with these changes, it drops only 3 to 3.5 lb. (1 to 1.5 kg). Do your very best to cut the weight ASAP. The clock is ticking and if it is not done at home, I can see a pile of belongings at the side of the road somewhere.

Hi Beehodge-- That's a heavy sleeping bag. My winter camping one (down, 0 degrees F) weights 1.3 kg. The one I've taken on the camino is 1kg (down 20 degrees F). I'd grab a blanket and see what you might be able to pick up in Bordeaux for an option-- if you have the money. Or call a friend and borrow something. -- I don't suppose you're anywhere near Ithaca, NY? I have one you can borrow. ( Does anyone know of a light weight duvet Beehodge can buy in Bordeaux?) --Are you starting in Bordeaux?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is a heck of a weight for those three items. About 1kg for a sleeping bag and something similar for an Altus type poncho or goretex jacket and trews seems more reasonable. Are you sure about those weights? What sort of materials are we talking about?
There is a Decathalon in Bordeaux

The sleeping bag is only Eurohike so not a superduper one.. I wasn't sure if Albergues provide blankets and whether it will be cold at night

Bee
@BeeHodge I've seen in a previous post of yours that you are planning on taking two pairs of waterproof trousers. Two?
Please unpack your rucksack and repack only what you NEED, not your "what ifs".

Yes I have removed one pair and only taking one..I do have a lighter weight sleeping bag but was worried that it might be cold in the albergue!
Hi Beehodge-- That's a heavy sleeping bag. My winter camping one (down, 0 degrees F) weights 1.3 kg. The one I've taken on the camino is 1kg (down 20 degrees F). I'd grab a blanket and see what you might be able to pick up in Bordeaux for an option-- if you have the money. Or call a friend and borrow something. -- I don't suppose you're anywhere near Ithaca, NY? I have one you can borrow. ( Does anyone know of a light weight duvet Beehodge can buy in Bordeaux?) --Are you starting in Bordeaux?

Thanks... I fly into Bordeaux from England today going straight to St Jean

I think I m all packed now having taken out a few more best tios, knickers and a pair of leggings, plus a few more toiletries.

It's more manageable at 10kg...

Hi all

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee

Thank you all for your invaluable comments and suggestions!!!! I was surprised to hear many suggesting not to take waterproof jacket and trousers ... I thought those are essential esp if it rains!!

Thank you all for your invaluable comments and suggestions!!!! I was surprised to hear many suggesting not to take waterproof jacket and trousers ... I thought those are essential esp if it rains!!

Most just use an extremely lightweight plastic poncho. But the only really delicate piece of kit to choose for the rain is your shoes or boots.

Others make good points about the lightest possible sleeping bag -- if you're sure to be always sleeping in, you definitely do not need a heavy one.

€149,-
I am all checked in at the airport on my way to
Bordeaux... thank you all for helping me packed "brutally"... it's amazing how little we can take if we leave the luxuries at home!!so with a light weight sleeping bag, four pairs of undies, four pairs of socks, three vest tops, two pairs of leggings, one long sleeve vest, one travel towel, a bar of soap n some first aid stuff and chargers etc... I managed to get the weight for my rucksack to just under 7kg.. pretty manageable!!

Thank you again ... it has been so reassuring.

Buen Camino

Hi all

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee
Hi In my opinion NO dump the sleeping bag (and waterproof jacket ) take a fleece sleeping bag liner much smaller/lighter and inexpensive it was all I needed crossing SJPdP to Cizur Minor last week.I had layers for the Pyrenees crossing as snow on the ground but most usefull was windproof top & plastic (pink) poncho. I watched people each morning goung through the chore of wrestling a vulky bag into a stuff sack that stull took a quarter of their packs.Just think you gotta pack/unpack your sleepibg bag 60 plus times over a month - 1. do you need to? 2.Will you still feel the loce for said sleeping bag. Happy walking Deb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You do need a lightweight waterproof jacket/poncho. You should be able to pick a cheap one up when you get there. It can also double up as a windproof. Buen Camino! and don't worry too much. Things always work out.

Given your walking dates, I'd advise against a simple liner and for a light sleeping bag.

For the rain, well -- proper rain footgear is a huge topic in its own right : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hiking-shoes-or-hiking-boots.7621/

In my experience otherwise, a broad-rimmed hat is the second essential. You're walking towards a (hopefully hot) shower anyway, so getting wet is inevitable -- but keeping your head and eyes out of the rain is a serious positive.

Backpack : yeah, important to keep its contents dry, whether through backpack quality, or a backpack hood, or a more general tactic to try and keep yourself and the pack dry both is up to you.

Body -- this is the most variable. If you have a fast metabolism it is vitally important to protect it from the rain, because exposure could kill you ; if you have a slow metabolism, well, from the cold sure, but the rain in Spain is just some harmless water. And all variants between.

But if you are genuinely apprehensive of rain, with real reasons, then army boots one size larger than your usual footwear will be your best friends. They're bloody heavy and I'd recommend them to few, but they do a fine job at keeping your toes warm !!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From what I am currently seeing in municipals so far walking from Portugal is that blankets are no longer available due to bed bug infestations . Also seeing new mattresses and pillows covered in vinyl. It is hot and sticky to sleep on directly. Vinyl mattresses and pillows may becone the norm. You will need something at least to lie on or sleep under. Personally I would not go near an alberge supplied blanket even if it was freezing.

Hi all

Feedback's most welcome.

Bee
My down sleeping bag weighs 550 and my Teva sandals 460. Those are the 2 heaviest items. Total pack 5.2-5.5 Max depending what I wear. I weigh 61kg. Re-check and stay under 6kg. You will be much happier n more comfortable walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From what I am currently seeing in municipals so far walking from Portugal is that blankets are no longer available due to bed bug infestations . Also seeing new mattresses and pillows covered in vinyl. It is hot and sticky to sleep on directly. Vinyl mattresses and pillows may becone the norm. You will need something at least to lie on or sleep under. Personally I would not go near an alberge supplied blanket even if it was freezing.
I used albergue supplied blankets so many times I can't remember. Never had a bedbug bite. I don't think bedbugs reside in blankets.

I disagree about the sleeping bag! After not sleeping 3 nights because it was so cold, tonight, my 4th night, I had to buy a sleeping bag in Pamplona. I opted to ditch the waterproof pants, because thin synthetic pants dry out themselves quickly, and we've had rain a lot. Eddie Bauer has a really light waterproof but breathable jacket that serving me . Everyone's experience is so different!

Ok so I leave on Thursday. Having just read this thread, I have unpacked and I’m now brutally culling items. A couple of questions: I am bringing a lightweight sleeping bag liner ( 240 grams ) and I was planning on bringing a lightweight fleece blanket ( 450 grams ) I was thinking that combo would give more versatility than a sleeping bag. Do I need the fleece blanket - im generally a fairly warm sleeper but do like the comfort of a bit of weight.
Secondly, I’ve just weighed the spare rubber tips for my walking poles and they aren’t 110 grams ( I know, I’m getting really picky now ) how many spares am I likely to need from sjpdd to Santiago?
I have a sort of washing line thing, it’s basically a Bungey cord with a hook each end that had fixed metal clothes pegs, I thought it would be useful for drying clothes but also possible for attaching to bunks and having a sarong to provide privacy if ever I feel the need, but it weighs 150 grams, should ditch it or am I over thinking it now? Pack wasn’t massively heavy to start with but every little helps right
Oh and my ‘burden stone’ is 53 grams, wish I hadn’t varnished it after painting, I could have saved about 3 grams

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seriously considering cutting my lovely new microfibres travel towel in half now - wish I’d bought a cheap one, it wouldn’t hurt as much

Ok so I leave on Thursday. Having just read this thread, I have unpacked and I’m now brutally culling items. A couple of questions: I am bringing a lightweight sleeping bag liner ( 240 grams ) and I was planning on bringing a lightweight fleece blanket ( 450 grams ) I was thinking that combo would give more versatility than a sleeping bag. Do I need the fleece blanket - im generally a fairly warm sleeper but do like the comfort of a bit of weight.
Secondly, I’ve just weighed the spare rubber tips for my walking poles and they aren’t 110 grams ( I know, I’m getting really picky now ) how many spares am I likely to need from sjpdd to Santiago?
I have a sort of washing line thing, it’s basically a Bungey cord with a hook each end that had fixed metal clothes pegs, I thought it would be useful for drying clothes but also possible for attaching to bunks and having a sarong to provide privacy if ever I feel the need, but it weighs 150 grams, should ditch it or am I over thinking it now? Pack wasn’t massively heavy to start with but every little helps right
Oh and my ‘burden stone’ is 53 grams, wish I hadn’t varnished it after painting, I could have saved about 3 grams
The liner and fleece blanket combo will probably work well for you and it does not seem way too heavy. I say bring both and if somewhere down the Camino you decide to leave the blanket at an albergue, no big loss.
Two sets of rubber trekking pole tips should serve you well. Impossible to say exactly how many you need. I always kept the wear to the rubber tips to a minimum by only using them on concrete/blacktop type surfaces on the Camino. Whenever I hit dirt/sand sections I removed them and put them in my pocket and replaced when I hit concrete/blacktop again.
I never used or saw the need for carrying a washing line or any line on the Camino. Would have never used it. Never spent enough time or did anything in an albergue bunk/bed that warranted privacy, lol. :D
I never carried a "burden stone" on the Camino.

I wasn’t planning on doing anything that requires privacy! Just not so sure how comfortable I’ll be if I end up in very close quarters - I guess that’s a ‘what if’ and as such, can probably be left at home!
The stone is for placing at the foot of the cross ( is it at ......perdon?)
Two sets of rubber tips it is then, that’s wiped another 90grams off!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oops, where did my smileys go? I think it probably reads a little differently without them, sorry, they don’t seem to be working

I only had one pair of rubber tips, and they could probably last another Camino. If you did need another pair they are very easy to find in all kinds of stores along the Camino. Probably because people who live along the Camino want to stop the click-clack of poles. :D
I have a sort of washing line thing, it’s basically a Bungey cord with a hook each end that had fixed metal clothes pegs, I thought it would be useful for drying clothes but also possible for attaching to bunks and having a sarong to provide privacy if ever I feel the need, but it weighs 150 grams, should ditch it or am I over thinking it now?
I never found the need for my own clothes line. And are you bringing a sarong in addition to a towel? If so, either use the sarong as a towel and ditch the towel, or skip the sarong.

I’ve ditched the sarong and washing line, just a tad over 6 kg now, I’ll look again tomorrow and see what else I can live without

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am bringing a lightweight sleeping bag liner ( 240 grams ) and I was planning on bringing a lightweight fleece blanket ( 450 grams )

A sleeping bag lighter than that combination would be better. Especially one that can be completely unzipped and used like a blanket, or even a mat. I'd not necessarily advise so in warmer months, but cold weather is still a possibility right now.

If I need to sleep outdoors, I've found that an inflatable mattress is the necessary extra essential.

Your current pack weight sounds pretty good though.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.