• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag?

SHREKS WIFE

Time of past OR future Camino
WALKING MAY 19
I am starting the camino from Sarria next Saturday (May 11th). I am unsure about whether to take a sleeping bag or just a sleeping bag liner. Thoughts please?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @SHREKS WIFE

When I started out at the end of April (2015) just a liner was fine for me, the only night I was cold was at O Cebreiro and that was a price I was more than happy to pay for not to have to lug around a full sleeping bag for weeks.

Buen camino,

Rob.

Last edited:
I would say, assuming that you plan to sleep in albergues, that just a liner is perfectly ok.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can already check the weather forecast.
Nights are still cold and day temperature is only 13°C on Thursday, while Sunday/Monday shall rise to 30°C, but nights still 10°C ???
I wouldn't like to take only a liner if I know the day is freezing cold, but that's up to you. I learnt that some albergues switch off the heating just because it was May and others don't even have heating.

Last edited:
Agreeing, only sleeping bag liner is fine! There will be some blankets in albergues (not all of them) and otherwise: I went in September/October and it got quite cold in October... I took a simple 2 Eur fleece blanket with me: light, could roll it up to a small bundle... worked out fine :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am starting the camino from Sarria next Saturday (May 11th). I am unsure about whether to take a sleeping bag or just a sleeping bag liner. Thoughts please?
Instead of sleeping bag, I brought the below. I put my liner between the sheet. It keeps you toasty warm and almost weightless, cost around $6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-164604_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190507-164604_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
I took one of these space blankets to the Ingles in October. Nobody complained but I was always aware of the crinkly sound it made when I moved. Liner and down blanket next time

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would take a light sleeping bag. Used a ‘Highlander trekker superlight’ (highly recommended) on the Frances in June and July last year and definitely needed more than just a liner.

For the GR65 Compostelle (2016), Camino Del Norte, and Camino Primitivo (2017), and Stevenson GR70 (2018) that I walked in April, May, August, and September I used a small size Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Mattress and a 30 degree Katabatic quilt style sleeping bag (a 40 degree quilt would do fine). The matress weighs 8 ounces and the down quilt weighs about 18 ounces. This way you can sleep on the albergue or gite floor anywhere or even outside if there is a shortage of beds, plus you can inflate the mattress, then place it on a bed therefore adjusting the bed to your exact sleeping requirements. The quilt, unlike a sleeping bag is more adjustable and versatile should you find it too warm plus it will keep you warm should you need that. The blankets at albergues and gites are used by thousands of people. They were always clean but .... you never know. On most stays, there was only one blanket per bed. I slept on the blanket that covered my air mattress and covered myself with the quilt. A good night's rest is absolutely the most important thing you need after a long day of trekking.

Last edited:
I just got back from walking 16 days. It’s hardly freezing cold during the day (or night). Daytime temps are perfect for walking and by noon the temperature climbs a lot. It will continue to climb as May progresses. I see that you started today so hopefully you didn’t pack too heavy of a bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.