• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag?

SHREKS WIFE

Time of past OR future Camino
WALKING MAY 19
I am starting the camino from Sarria next Saturday (May 11th). I am unsure about whether to take a sleeping bag or just a sleeping bag liner. Thoughts please?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @SHREKS WIFE

When I started out at the end of April (2015) just a liner was fine for me, the only night I was cold was at O Cebreiro and that was a price I was more than happy to pay for not to have to lug around a full sleeping bag for weeks.

Buen camino,

Rob.

Last edited:
I would say, assuming that you plan to sleep in albergues, that just a liner is perfectly ok.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can already check the weather forecast.
Nights are still cold and day temperature is only 13°C on Thursday, while Sunday/Monday shall rise to 30°C, but nights still 10°C ???
I wouldn't like to take only a liner if I know the day is freezing cold, but that's up to you. I learnt that some albergues switch off the heating just because it was May and others don't even have heating.

Last edited:
Agreeing, only sleeping bag liner is fine! There will be some blankets in albergues (not all of them) and otherwise: I went in September/October and it got quite cold in October... I took a simple 2 Eur fleece blanket with me: light, could roll it up to a small bundle... worked out fine :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am starting the camino from Sarria next Saturday (May 11th). I am unsure about whether to take a sleeping bag or just a sleeping bag liner. Thoughts please?
Instead of sleeping bag, I brought the below. I put my liner between the sheet. It keeps you toasty warm and almost weightless, cost around $6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-164604_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190507-164604_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
I took one of these space blankets to the Ingles in October. Nobody complained but I was always aware of the crinkly sound it made when I moved. Liner and down blanket next time

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would take a light sleeping bag. Used a ‘Highlander trekker superlight’ (highly recommended) on the Frances in June and July last year and definitely needed more than just a liner.

For the GR65 Compostelle (2016), Camino Del Norte, and Camino Primitivo (2017), and Stevenson GR70 (2018) that I walked in April, May, August, and September I used a small size Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Mattress and a 30 degree Katabatic quilt style sleeping bag (a 40 degree quilt would do fine). The matress weighs 8 ounces and the down quilt weighs about 18 ounces. This way you can sleep on the albergue or gite floor anywhere or even outside if there is a shortage of beds, plus you can inflate the mattress, then place it on a bed therefore adjusting the bed to your exact sleeping requirements. The quilt, unlike a sleeping bag is more adjustable and versatile should you find it too warm plus it will keep you warm should you need that. The blankets at albergues and gites are used by thousands of people. They were always clean but .... you never know. On most stays, there was only one blanket per bed. I slept on the blanket that covered my air mattress and covered myself with the quilt. A good night's rest is absolutely the most important thing you need after a long day of trekking.

Last edited:
I just got back from walking 16 days. It’s hardly freezing cold during the day (or night). Daytime temps are perfect for walking and by noon the temperature climbs a lot. It will continue to climb as May progresses. I see that you started today so hopefully you didn’t pack too heavy of a bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.