• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag

tony473

Time of past OR future Camino
9/20
I am planning to walk the VLPR in the end of September and first two weeks of October ,does anyone know if I need a sleeping bag or just a liner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Late Sep will still be relatively warm, but it is going to be getting colder. If you are tolerant to being a little cold if there are no blankets, not carrying a bag might be a reasonable option.

My own practice is to take a light (+5 deg C) bag and liner, even walking from May to early Jun. It was used, often just as a quilt, almost every night at that time. When walking earlier in the year, my bag was used every night other than the two where I stayed in hotels on my rest days.

Last edited:
I used my +5°C sleeping bag on the Camino de la Costa in September every night. When it was really warm I had the zipper open and used it as a quilt like dougfitz. I would like to recommend to replace the original sack by a compressionable and waterproof one to have more space in the backpack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sea to Summit Spark SpI is extremely light weight. Might be perfect for your walk.
Jane, did you use the 40 degree Spark? I'll be walking the Frances in May and have some concerns about warmth at night. I'd talked myself out of taking a sleeping bag some weeks ago, but still wonder if that's the way to go.

The temperature rating info stamped on the inside of the bag is as follows:

12C / 54F
comfort

8C / 46F
lower limit

-5C / 23F
extreme

I don't know what you mean by "40 degree Spark." I used the SpI (what looks like an upper case I in one location on the bag more clearly looks like the digit 1 in a different location on the bag.) I chose this bag because of its extreme light weight ness. I was plenty comfy in the albergues sleeping in gym shorts and a T shirt.

The sleeping bag came with a compression sack. I used it a few times and then decided to store it daily in a slightly larger stuff sack as it stuffed faster into the slightly larger sack. I used the original compression sack to hold other small items.

I think I read about the sleeping bag on the REI site, but had to order it as it was not carried in the store. It, my Osprey Lumina 60L back pack, and my THE PACKA rain jacket were three of the best purchases I made. All purchases were based on weight, and the back pack fit me just fine.

Hope this info helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jane, did you use the 40 degree Spark? I'll be walking the Frances in May and have some concerns about warmth at night. I'd talked myself out of taking a sleeping bag some weeks ago, but still wonder if that's the way to go.
You're sleeping inside with the body heat of other pilgrims. I can't imagine it would get colder than 40F.

You're sleeping inside with the body heat of other pilgrims. I can't imagine it would get colder than 40F.
When I walked in 2010, there were two places that I stayed that pilgrim body heat was never going to warm up. The former school gym at Zubiri and the overflow into the loft of the parochial albergue at Granon. In early to mid April, they were both very cold nights. At the time, Zubiri had ex-Army foam mattresses but no blankets in the gym; Granon had blankets and gym mats.

I don't know what the overnight temperatures were - just that it felt extremely cold and I was very glad to be in a sleeping bag. That memory probably influences my thinking on whether or not to remove the bag from my packing list. I don't, although I now have a somewhat lighter bag that is a crossover between a tight mummy bag and a somewhat more comfortable semi-rectangular bag.

I took no sleeping bag or liner when I did the Portuguese Route from Lisbon starting in February and ending late March. Takes up too much room in my backpack! Every place I stayed had bed sheets except one albergue. There I simply used one of the extra blankets provided. The again I stayed mostly at Quintas, 2-3 Star Hotels, Pensions and nice private albergues and every one had bed sheets. I also did not take walking poles, cell phone, ipod for music and other items many pilgrims think they need. Less is more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked in 2010, there were two places that I stayed that pilgrim body heat was never going to warm up. The former school gym at Zubiri and the overflow into the loft of the parochial albergue at Granon. In early to mid April, they were both very cold nights. At the time, Zubiri had ex-Army foam mattresses but no blankets in the gym; Granon had blankets and gym mats.

I don't know what the overnight temperatures were - just that it felt extremely cold and I was very glad to be in a sleeping bag. That memory probably influences my thinking on whether or not to remove the bag from my packing list. I don't, although I now have a somewhat lighter bag that is a crossover between a tight mummy bag and a somewhat more comfortable semi-rectangular bag.
Agree with this. I'm taking one from now on, as I have had enough of aggravatingly cold nights.

I took no sleeping bag or liner when I did the Portuguese Route from Lisbon starting in February and ending late March. Takes up too much room in my backpack! Every place I stayed had bed sheets except one albergue. There I simply used one of the extra blankets provided. The again I stayed mostly at Quintas, 2-3 Star Hotels, Pensions and nice private albergues and every one had bed sheets. I also did not take walking poles, cell phone, ipod for music and other items many pilgrims think they need. Less is more.
Good advice if you stay in quintas, hotels, pensiones and private albergues - maybe not so efficacious if you are staying in municipal albergues!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The inexpensive Costco down blanket (just picked up an extra for just $14), add a few snaps and voila! Light, small, quiet, and works great as your sleeping bag or a blanket. I'm 5'5" so I can fit entirely in the length of this makeshift sleeping bag.

I walked 4 years ago in May June and carried a poncho liner to use as a sleeping bag.It also worked well as a blanket and rolled up tight and fit well in my pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done a couple of Camino's now during the winter (Feb and early Mar) and I use a Jungle sleeping bag. It's a 2 season bag rated between +7 and +2 but with a liner, if needed, gives it an added season. I find this plenty warm, even when I stayed a night in a stone built Albergue without heating. As I travel in winter you never know what might happen so I also take a survival bivi bag, in case I need to sleep outside for a night. Which nearly happened to me on the northern route when the hostel was full and the only Albergue shut. It's minimal weight and my usual pack weight is about 13kg, which a lot of people will bulk at, but I don't have a problem with that and I've got everything I need.

Hi
I have walked the Camino Frances a few times and there are ALWAYS blankets and the bigger dorms do get warm (people heat). That said I always have my 500gr (or 1/2lb) sleeping bag (cheap, not warm).
Like this about https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-847/Intrepid-Traveller-+15-22C-Sleeping-Bag it gets very small. I like to be in my own bag. I always have thin leggings in case of cold and never used them on 5 Caminos! Good luck and do not worry as you can unload stuff you don't want or pick up what you decide you need everywhere.

I have walked the Camino Frances a few times and there are ALWAYS blankets
@suzanne perron, have you stayed in absolutely every albergue? Unless you have, or have conducted a census, you have no foundation upon which to make such an absolute statement. The two times that I have walked the CF, there haven't been blankets in the overflow accommodation at the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri, just as one example. It would be worth knowing if that has changed if you have stayed in the overflow there recently.

@suzanne perron, have you stayed in absolutely every albergue? Unless you have, or have conducted a census, you have no foundation upon which to make such an absolute statement. The two times that I have walked the CF, there haven't been blankets in the overflow accommodation at the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri, just as one example. It would be worth knowing if that has changed if you have stayed in the overflow there recently.
Agree with this - Galician municipal albergues don't have blankets IME. This is because of hygiene I think: bugs do seem to like living in blankets and cleaning them is tricky and costly. And those that do have blankets? One wonders how often they are washed. A one season jungle type ex army issue bag weighs about a kilo.

Agree with this - Galician municipal albergues don't have blankets IME. This is because of hygiene I think: bugs do seem to like living in blankets and cleaning them is tricky and costly. And those that do have blankets? One wonders how often they are washed. A one season jungle type ex army issue bag weighs about a kilo.
OK OK relax, I have stayed in dozens (NOT ALL ) of the albergues on the caminos walked like the CF (x3), VdelaPlata, Norte, Aragones, Tour, Arles, Primitivo, Ingles and have ALways had one when needed .... so relax I was not making an 'absolute statement' but giving my opinion and others are welcome to share theirs and the questioner can decide for his/herself ... geez

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK OK relax, I have stayed in dozens (NOT ALL ) of the albergues on the caminos walked like the CF (x3), VdelaPlata, Norte, Aragones, Tour, Arles, Primitivo, Ingles and have ALways had one when needed .... so relax I was not making an 'absolute statement' but giving my opinion and others are welcome to share theirs and the questioner can decide for his/herself ... geez
Well, you did capitalise 'ALWAYS' for emphasis, so you could understand how people with a different experience might want to offer a caution!:)

Well, you did capitalise 'ALWAYS' for emphasis, so you could understand how people with a different experience might want to offer a caution!:)
True ... I will be more careful in future ... heading for the Via Francigena soon... woohoo!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.