• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino
Hi … I’m hoping to do the CF in April 2022 … do you think I would need to take a sleeping bag? Thanks
Austin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi … I’m hoping to do the CF in April 2022 … do you think I would need to take a sleeping bag? Thanks
Austin

I have walked the CF 3 times in April / May.
It's usually not cold, other than high in the mountains.

What type of accommodation are you planning to use?
For Albergues, I think most people would say a liner is sufficient.
But that was pre-Covid.

Those who have walked recently might be able to give an update though, as during Covid maybe blankets are not provided?

I have walked the CF 3 times in April / May.
It's usually not cold, other than high in the mountains.

What type of accommodation are you planning to use?
For Albergues, I think most people would say a liner is sufficient.
But that was pre-Covid.

Those who have walked recently might be able to give an update though, as during Covid maybe blankets are not provided?
Thanks … this is such a great forum - I’m very grateful-:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Austin
I have taken a lightweight 5degC bag on each of my pilgrimages, and never regretted that. Perhaps as I grow older, I am less cold tolerant than in my youth. So I am prepared to carry the weight to give me the flexibility of staying in less well-heated places, and to not rely on albergue blankets, etc.

How you assess your own level of cold tolerance is difficult unless you are hiking and camping regularly, or sleeping in un-heated accommodation for some other reason. You could always start with one, and be prepared to post it forward once you cleared the Pyrenees and it might start to get warmer later in Apr. You should then have a better idea about how much you are using it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Austin,
Consider a down blanket … they are sold here in the states as a lap blanket to bring to a sporting event at an outdoor stadium in colder weather. I don’t feel like I need a complete sleeping bag, but I also don’t want to rely on albergues supplying blankets. Since Covid, they aren’t all providing them anymore, apparently, so maybe there won’t always be one when I want one, and I really do not like to be cold at night. My down blanket is perfect, and it’s at least half the weight and bulk of a sleeping bag.

Also consider how you can utilize clothing that you are already carrying to keep you warm at night. Wearing a stocking cap to bed will keep you much warmer, as will socks and long johns. I am thinking of bringing a scarf/wrap kind of thing to wear for extra warmth in the evening and morning, but doing double duty as a second small blanket or shawl at night. I realize that might not be something most men would wear, but it’s an example of getting multiple uses from everything I carry. A sleeping bag is a lot of weight and bulk to carry for just a single use.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always bring a lightweight sleeping bag for my Caminos when walking in mid-April thru end of May and have always needed it in the albergues. On occasion I have even added my quarter zip fleece to bed to keep warm. I personally would never go without a sleeping bag in Spring.
The down blankets sound like a good option for some, but I usually toss and turn while sleeping. I would end up not being half covered or it could slide off on the floor.

Last edited:
I take a light weight down sleeping bag with me. There have been albergues I have stayed at that did not have blankets, and I've always been glad to know that I will sleep warm where ever I am. It weighs about a kilo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Austin
Hello Austin, I was curious about the same issue, packing lists appear to be for summer or winter. With blankets being removed it seems it would be necessary to pack something in addition to a liner. Previously I have packed both a liner only and a liner plus sleeping bag, excessive but it was my first Camino. I hope to arrive in St Jean in mid/late April.

I recommend a light sleeping bag or a lightweight down blanket as well as a silk or similar liner. When it is cold, you will welcome the lightweight sleeping bag. One of the people I met on the CF used a very lightweight down blanket. She added snaps so it could be used as a sleeping bag. It was from Costco, though I have not seen them this year. I carried a Rumple's blanket. It worked very well when it was cold, but did take up a lot of space in the back pack. I bought a very lightweight sleeping bag from MEC in Canada. Hope to use it this year on the Camino Portugues. On the CF, lightweight bags are on sale in the hiking shops in the larger cities. I think they ranged from 40 to 60 Euros. When it is warm, the liner is all you need. Get one with some bug proofing. Mine was silk, did not take much space and was comfortable. The only night I did not use it, I was lazy and curled up in the rough blankets at the albergue. I woke up the next morning with a bunch of bug bites that were very uncomfortable for a week. They did not have the classic bed bug bite pattern, but they itched like crazy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Austin
ABSOLUTELY!! A very light weight bag is best and essential. Albergues provide beds but no bedding. I took a liner sheet and a very light weight sleeping bag. I spread my liner sheet on the bed and put my sleeping bag on top. Buen Camino!!

Austin
Absolutely! Most albergues don't provide linens for their beds and I took a very light weight sleeping bag as well as a liner. Most nights I would spread my liner on the top of the bed and my bag on top of that. I walked in May and there were chilly nights.

Austin
Austin: I concur with the recommendation that Esperanza made about down blankets. I carried one rated to 30F (Brooks Range Cloak 30) when I walked in Oct/Nov 2013. I plan to carry it again this April/May, and my daughter will also carry one. Mine blanket with compression sacks weighs about 24 ounces and is the size of a large container of cottage cheese. Unless you plan to sleep outdoors, you really don't need a full size sleeping bag with the weight and bulk. Another option to a down blanket is to carry a US military "woobie" poncho liner blanket. Warm, lightweight, just a bit more bulky, fast drying. Here's a link what they look like. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Austin
Hi, Yes, you should take a lightweight down sleeping bag. I have taken one on the four Caminos I have walked, and have found I needed it, not often, but at least half a dozen times. Some Albergues do not offer blankets, or the blankets on offer on less than optimal. Sometimes you will encounter a cold snap where having a sleeping bag makes the difference between a cold night and a comfortable one. There is one item that is even more important than a sleeping bag and that is a sleeping bag liner. Get a good quality silk one, they are expensive but well worth it. I used mine every night; that and a albergue supplied blanket would be all that I needed. The advantage of a silk one over cotton or synthetic is that you can wash it easily, and it dries very quickly. Buen Camino!

I started Frances on April 1 with my 45 degree F rated Kelty bag. Almost shipped it forward from Pampalona as many others in "tramily" were doing. So glad I didn't! There were a few really cold nights and room temperatures were not in my control 😀. Some nights it was zipped open as a blanket to be thrown off, some nights as a mummy bag with two layers of clothes on inside. Some of my friends were very unhappy with the blankets they were able to find at some alberques and donativos.
I would recommend carrying.
Buen Camino,
Bob

The down blankets sound like a good option for some, but I usually toss and turn while sleeping. I would end up not being half covered or it could slide off on the floor.
I toss and turn, too, and the combo of the nylon shell of the blanket and my silk liner is so slippery, the blanket is on the floor before I can even get in. My solution was a couple of safety pins to anchor it in place. The blanket is very light, so it doesn’t take much to hold it. I put the highest one at chest height so I can still flip down the blanket if I get too warm. The pins worked okay, but were inconvenient. Next time I am going to sew on a few tiny ribbons to tie the two together.

€46,-
I toss and turn, too, and the combo of the nylon shell of the blanket and my silk liner is so slippery, the blanket is on the floor before I can even get in. My solution was a couple of safety pins to anchor it in place. The blanket is very light, so it doesn’t take much to hold it. I put the highest one at chest height so I can still flip down the blanket if I get too warm. The pins worked okay, but were inconvenient. Next time I am going to sew on a few tiny ribbons to tie the two together.
I make silk sleep sacks and put loops inside and outside to attach a down blanket to. I usually use the down blanket inside the sleep sack.

Unfortunately, Costco hasn't sold the really lightweight and inexpensive down blankets for a couple of years now. I used to be able to find the same blankets on Amazon, but they are all gone now too. 😞

Here's a couple that I've found that could work

These from Montbell are very nice. I have the medium size blanket - it's very small, but fits well inside my sleep sack.

Last edited:
@trecile For me, that isn’t an option because my home made liner is too narrow to fit a blanket inside. But I don’t understand how it would cover me and especially my backside and knees if I slept on my side. My blanket on the outside drapes over the edge of the bed, just like a normal blanket, and I am covered no matter how I toss and turn.

Hello Austin, I was curious about the same issue, packing lists appear to be for summer or winter. With blankets being removed it seems it would be necessary to pack something in addition to a liner. Previously I have packed both a liner only and a liner plus sleeping bag, excessive but it was my first Camino. I hope to arrive in St Jean in mid/late April.
Thanks … I will take my trusty old bag - I hope to be in St Jean at the end of April - you never know, we might meet up!
Cheers
Austin

I make silk sleep sacks and put loops inside and outside to attach a down blanket to. I usually use the down blanket inside the sleep sack.

Unfortunately, Costco hasn't sold the really lightweight and inexpensive down blankets for a couple of years now. I used to be able to find the same blankets on Amazon, but they are all gone now too. 😞

These from Montbell are very nice. I have the medium size blanket - it's very small, but fits well inside my sleep sack.

Many thanks … I will have a look at the link
Austin

Try this Snugpack
I made a footbox with 1 meter zipper and use it as a quilt.
Or take this, made in China:
This has zipper ready, I use it also as a quilt.
Benny

Austin
I'm walking in April as well. From what I understand due to Covid many if not all Albergues aren't providing blankets and you need to bring a sleepsack or bag.......So I'm bringing my down sleeping bag which weighs 11oz.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Austin
Yes! April can be cold and wet. Even when the weather is warm, there are some albergues that are cold due to their stone construction and/or lack of heat. I take an indoor/outdoor sleeping bag that is warm down to 15C and a silk sleep sack. Both are lightweight and invaluable at 3a.m. in a cold albergue.

I don’t understand how it would cover me and especially my backside and knees if I slept on my side. My blanket on the outside drapes over the edge of the bed, just like a normal blanket, and I am covered no matter how I toss and turn.
Yes, a huge and heavy blanket will cover you more thoroughly! However, you can get away with a smaller and lighter cover, if you can manage the down-quilt-inside-a-liner method. I have found that even placing an open down vest (sleeveless) over my hips and torso inside my sleeping bag can provide very helpful warmth. That will depend on how much you flail about during the night, and whether you like to turn over within the bag, or if you prefer to flip your entire self and bag over, and also on the friction coefficient between your sleeping attire and your coverings.

The only way to determine what will work for you is to test it at home!

That will depend on how much you flail about during the night, and whether you like to turn over within the bag, or if you prefer to flip your entire self and bag over, and also on the friction coefficient between your sleeping attire and your coverings.
You have described the flailing in perfect detail.😅

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, a huge and heavy blanket will cover you more thoroughly! However, you can get away with a smaller and lighter cover, if you can manage the down-quilt-inside-a-liner method. I have found that even placing an open down vest (sleeveless) over my hips and torso inside my sleeping bag can provide very helpful warmth. That will depend on how much you flail about during the night, and whether you like to turn over within the bag, or if you prefer to flip your entire self and bag over, and also on the friction coefficient between your sleeping attire and your coverings.

The only way to determine what will work for you is to test it at home!
Just to be clear, my down blanket is neither huge nor heavy. It weighs about 8 ounces/ less than .25 kg. I roll around a bit, but I don’t come close to flailing about.

Of course there is always going to be a trade off between size and coverage, but I really can’t see how the bag-in-liner system would provide minimal coverage for me, especially when sleeping on my side. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe it works for very small people in a very large liner. Maybe I am missing something. 🤷‍♀️ Obviously, it works for some people, but my system is already trail-tested and works perfectly for me.

Maybe I am missing something. 🤷‍♀️ Obviously, it works for some people, but my system is already trail-tested and works perfectly for me.
I don't think you are missing anything. It simply doesn't work for you, so I wouldn't advocate changing from what does work. It is just an option for people to consider.:)

I had a FF Flicker down sleeping bag/quilt in May 2018 CF. It was perfect for the cold nights when I zipped up and pull on draw string at the foot to sleep inside a mummy bag. Probably close to 30 nights, I slept with it as a quilt/comforter. It only weighed~19 ounces.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And be prepared to post it forward once you cleared the Pyrenees and it might start to get warmer later in Apr. You should then have a better idea about how much you are using it.
Good advice but… it could (and in my case it did!) get colder once around O Cebreiro or even on the way to Finisterre ( and that was in July!).
If you intend to sleep in albergues, I wouldn’t ever go without a sleeping bag (or some equivalent like a quilt etc). As long as it is lightweight of course 🙂

Good advice but… it could (and in my case it did!) get colder once around O Cebreiro or even on the way to Finisterre ( and that was in July!).
If you intend to sleep in albergues, I wouldn’t ever go without a sleeping bag (or some equivalent like a quilt etc). As long as it is lightweight of course 🙂
Many thanks … I will definitely take mine now-:)
Cheers
Austin

The cost of energy has gone through the roof in Spain (and possibly other European countries) so the chances of staying in an unheated or less heated albergues/casa rurals/hostals are higher than they were. Several people wrote about experiencing unheated and all-but-unheated accommodations this fall.

And as others noted, blankets in albergues are sparse or unavailable.

For me, I'm planning to walk in early April, I tend towards cold, and I'll be bringing a quilt or sleeping bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
True, and I puzzled over that when I wrote my earlier response. The first time I walked the CF I crossed the Pyrenees in late Mar, and used my bag every night except in Burgos and Leon, where I stayed in hotels. That said, I was opening up my bag and using it as a quilt towards the end, and that worked as well. There was a combination here of it getting warmer and tending not to stay in municipal albergues.

When I walked the CF again, I started at the beginning of May, and ended up using fewer albergues. Even though I used by bag every night, I think I could have survived without it outside of when I stayed in albergues.

And I will be starting my next Camino in late Apr, and at this stage, I will be taking a sleeping bag.

I think I got one of your sleep sacks for Christmas this year! :) Camino+Casa - a beautiful large silk sleep sack, dyed blue and purple, with a matching pillowcase, a light down blanket/quilt sewn inside on one side and straps to attach the blanket to the albergue mattress so I don't get tangled up in it while I sleep. I figure on hot nights I sleep with the down beneath me and on cold nights with it above me. The perfect Camino sleeping system. I'm not sure how heavy it is but it seems significantly lighter than any sleeping bag I've used.

I think I got one of your sleep sacks for Christmas this year! :) Camino+Casa - a beautiful large silk sleep sack, dyed blue and purple, with a matching pillowcase, a light down blanket/quilt sewn inside on one side and straps to attach the blanket to the albergue mattress so I don't get tangled up in it while I sleep. I figure on hot nights I sleep with the down beneath me and on cold nights with it above me. The perfect Camino sleeping system. I'm not sure how heavy it is but it seems significantly lighter than any sleeping bag I've used.
Yes, you did!
It weighs around 450 gms
sleep sack grams resize.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The cost of energy has gone through the roof in Spain (and possibly other European countries) so the chances of staying in an unheated or less heated albergues/casa rurals/hostals are higher than they were. Several people wrote about experiencing unheated and all-but-unheated accommodations this fall.

And as others noted, blankets in albergues are sparse or unavailable.

For me, I'm planning to walk in early April, I tend towards cold, and I'll be bringing a quilt or sleeping bag.
Many thanks
Austin

Hi Austin,
Consider a down blanket … they are sold here in the states as a lap blanket to bring to a sporting event at an outdoor stadium in colder weather. I don’t feel like I need a complete sleeping bag, but I also don’t want to rely on albergues supplying blankets. Since Covid, they aren’t all providing them anymore, apparently, so maybe there won’t always be one when I want one, and I really do not like to be cold at night. My down blanket is perfect, and it’s at least half the weight and bulk of a sleeping bag.

Also consider how you can utilize clothing that you are already carrying to keep you warm at night. Wearing a stocking cap to bed will keep you much warmer, as will socks and long johns. I am thinking of bringing a scarf/wrap kind of thing to wear for extra warmth in the evening and morning, but doing double duty as a second small blanket or shawl at night. I realize that might not be something most men would wear, but it’s an example of getting multiple uses from everything I carry. A sleeping bag is a lot of weight and bulk to carry for just a single use.
Any particular down blanket you recommend?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Antananarivo
I have one from Costco that I bought a few years ago. Apparently they are no longer available. Trecile posted a few links to similar ones in response #22, above.
You can also find much more expensive down quilts from companies like Enlightened Equipment.

Seriously jealous!

I bought one of your sleep sacks for my del Norte Camino. I love it and the tye dye colors are beautiful and unique. Mine came with snaps so I could snap the very lightweight down quilted blanket either inside or on top. It also has the elastic bands so I could secure it to all corners of the mattress to keep it from sliding around. Worked like a charm. It was perfect for a summer Camino. There it is pictured with my kit.
1BD700D9-095C-4EDF-9EA1-A2DE65D8D969.jpeg

@Austinpaterson For my Fall and Spring Camino’s I did have a lightweight sleeping bag and was glad I did. It was like my little warm snuggly cocoon on those damp/wet chilly nights and early mornings. Shop around and you’ll find a light and inexpensive one, I did back in 2013.

Buen Camino 😎👣

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought one of your sleep sacks for my del Norte Camino. I love it and the tye dye colors are beautiful and unique. Mine came with snaps so I could snap the very lightweight down quilted blanket either inside or on top. It also has the elastic bands so I could secure it to all corners of the mattress to keep it from sliding around. Worked like a charm. It was perfect for a summer Camino. There it is pictured with my kit.
View attachment 115572

@Austinpaterson For my Fall and Spring Camino’s I did have a lightweight sleeping bag and was glad I did. It was like my little warm snuggly cocoon on those damp/wet chilly nights and early mornings. Shop around and you’ll find a light and inexpensive one, I did back in 2013.

Buen Camino 😎👣

Two options:

I got this one for Christmas. It weighs in at 16oz, has all the snaps, and can be used as a blanket, poncho, wrap, or an emergency sleeping bag by snapping lengthwise and pulling the drawstring at the bottom.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CLG8VZB/?tag=casaivar02-20

second, the mythical Costco unicorn blanket was at my store this year. There were two. I bought one and stuck it away in case I didn't get a blanket for Christmas. This year it is under the name of "Alptrek", in a black compression bag, made for Cascade Mountain Technologies and weighs in at 1 lb 5 oz and is 60x70. It has thumb loops but doesn't appear to have snaps. It was in the center aisle in the sporting goods gift section back by the food rather than the side aisles.

@BookGirl305
That is not the one they used to have at Costco, if this is what you’re talking about: https://cascademountaintech.com/products/adventure-blanket

It isn’t down, it’s larger, probably a lot bulkier, and weighs 2 pounds, which is about four times as heavy. If one is trying to keep total weight under, say, 12-15 pounds, there is just no room in the weight budget for a completely unnecessary extra pound and a half. It might be an option for some folks, but at that weight and bulk, I personally don’t see any advantage over a lightweight down sleeping bag, much less a down blanket. YMMV.

It’s been several years since Costco had the “mythical” down blanket, and I rather doubt they’ll carry it again. I’m a very long term Costco shopper, and what I have seen is that when something is gone for that long, it’s gone forever.

The blanket you got for Christmas looks quite nice, but Thinsulate wouldn’t be my choice for the trifecta I want for backpacking, which is warm, lightweight, and compact. Down wins in all three categories.

Last edited:
My apologies- apparently the Costco down blanket I purchased is this year's version of the down camping blanket, not the mythical unicorn one. :)

My apologies- apparently the Costco down blanket I purchased is this year's version of the down camping blanket, not the mythical unicorn one. :)

It is certainly easy to get confused, and it certainly happens to everyone … however, that blanket is not down. It is filled with polyester. Big, big difference.

Last edited:
@BookGirl305
That is not the one they used to have at Costco, if this is what you’re talking about: https://cascademountaintech.com/products/adventure-blanket

It isn’t down, it’s larger, probably a lot bulkier, and weighs 2 pounds, which is about four times as heavy. If one is trying to keep total weight under, say, 12-15 pounds, there is just no room in the weight budget for a completely unnecessary extra pound and a half. It might be an option for some folks, but at that weight and bulk, I personally don’t see any advantage over a lightweight down sleeping bag, much less a down blanket. YMMV.

It’s been several years since Costco had the “mythical” down blanket, and I rather doubt they’ll carry it again. I’m a very long term Costco shopper, and what I have seen is that when something is gone for that long, it’s gone forever.

The blanket you got for Christmas looks quite nice, but Thinsulate wouldn’t be my choice for the trifecta I want for backpacking, which is warm, lightweight, and compact. Down wins in all three categories.
You're right. The blanket that Costco had this year is much different from the previous version. I bought a several of them on Amazon - perhaps the last few that they had. I cut them in half to be used inside sleep sacks that I make.

For lightweight down blankets the Montbell ones are a lot more expensive than the old Costco blankets, but they are better quality, and the fabric isn't as slippery. And they are certainly more affordable than the quilts from Enlightened Equipment.

You're right. The blanket that Costco had this year is much different from the previous version. I bought a several of them on Amazon - perhaps the last few that they had. I cut them in half to be used inside sleep sacks that I make.

For lightweight down blankets the Montbell ones are a lot more expensive than the old Costco blankets, but they are better quality, and the fabric isn't as slippery. And they are certainly more affordable than the quilts from Enlightened Equipment.
I am starting my journey on March 30th from SJPP. My prior two Caminos were in May and September. I didn't pack a sleeping bag but blankets were generally available. Given the Covid era, the likelihood of not having a blanket is high as I understand it. I purchased a 50F rated bag which is rather compact - I'll be bringing that along this time. Happy New Year to all!

€60,-
For anyone looking for the mythical unicorn Costco down blanket, occasionally they can be found on ebay, but they are several times the original Costco price.

Here's a couple of listings

There is also this one on Amazon

I'm walking in April as well. From what I understand due to Covid many if not all Albergues aren't providing blankets and you need to bring a sleepsack or bag.......So I'm bringing my down sleeping bag which weighs 11oz.....

One thing to be mindful of with Down is you're likely going to need to wash your sleeping bag on the way due to bedbugs, in very hot water (and hit it in the dryer as well) to kill them.

Synthetics can handle this no problems, but it wrecks down.

I'm leaving my 600 gram 950fp UGQ down UL hiking quilt at home for this very reason nd bringing my much cheaper and 200 gram heavier military issued synthetic Woobie.

200 grams heavier, but I dread exposing my 500 Australian dollar quilt to bedbugs and wrecking it in the wash, and waiting days for it to dry properly.

One thing to be mindful of with Down is you're likely going to need to wash your sleeping bag on the way due to bedbugs, in very hot water (
Washing in very hot water is not necessary. 20-30 minutes in a hot dryer is what kills the bugs and their eggs. If you also want to wash it I would do so after the hot dryer heat treatment at the manufacturer's recommended temperature.

€60,-
Washing in very hot water is not necessary. 20-30 minutes in a hot dryer is what kills the bugs and their eggs. If you also want to wash it I would do so after the hot dryer heat treatment at the manufacturer's recommended temperature.

Too much hassle. Unless you wash and dry down just so, it can ruin the loft and degrade the bag. I've seen it happen a lot of times on trail (hiking) when dudes wash and dry their down bags, and they come out... not so great.

For a 500 dollar quilt, it's not worth the risk for me Im afraid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One thing to be mindful of with Down is you're likely going to need to wash your sleeping bag on the way due to bedbugs, in very hot water (and hit it in the dryer as well) to kill them.

Synthetics can handle this no problems, but it wrecks down.

I'm leaving my 600 gram 950fp UGQ down UL hiking quilt at home for this very reason nd bringing my much cheaper and 200 gram heavier military issued synthetic Woobie.

200 grams heavier, but I dread exposing my 500 Australian dollar quilt to bedbugs and wrecking it in the wash, and waiting days for it to dry properly.
Thanks. that something to consider.....would hate bedbugs.

Yes! April can be cold and wet. Even when the weather is warm, there are some albergues that are cold due to their stone construction and/or lack of heat. I take an indoor/outdoor sleeping bag that is warm down to 15C and a silk sleep sack. Both are lightweight and invaluable at 3a.m. in a cold albergue.
brand?

For anyone looking for the mythical unicorn Costco down blanket, occasionally they can be found on ebay, but they are several times the original Costco price.

Here's a couple of listings

There is also this one on Amazon
Alpkit do a down quilt that gets good reviews , I have one on preorder at the moment

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks. that something to consider.....would hate bedbugs.
Bedbugs are unaffected by the filling if a sleeping bag. Down or synthetic, it is all the same to them. In terms of killing bedbugs, the inability to wash down sleeping bags in hot water shouldn't be an issue either. Bedbugs are killed by very hot drying. Of the many factors for choosing between down and synthetic, I wouldn't make bedbugs one of them.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.