• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SLEEPING BAG

JAMESDOUGLAS

SHOULD I BE TAKING A SLEEPING BAG FOR LATTER PART OF MAY ? TRYING TO KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN BUT ALSO WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE . I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT OVERCROWDING AS IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING QUITE BUSY .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know of two people who only used a silk bag liner at the end of March/ beginning of April. :eek: They seemd to manage to get blankets even in places that weren't offering them as a general rule. I don't think either of them started in Roncesvalles though! Personally I don't think I would be warm enough, and I suspect that night time in May can still be pretty cold but I'd like to hear opinions of more experienced people.
Sue

If you aren't leaving until late May, I'd take a fleece liner.
It will plenty hot in the albergues full of pilgrims!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked this at the start of April, and only got blankets in Rates. We had fleece blankets which were warm. Everyone else had lightweight sleeping bags and they wore clothes as they were cold. Ponte de Lima was freezing whilst Redondela was boiling !!!

Enjoy your camino

Except for Leon, every albergue has had blankets. Leon did not even have pillows, so have a stuff sack of soft stuff handy!

Could I ask the same sort of question about undertaking the Camino Portugues in July (starting in Porto). Would I need a sleeping bag or will I survive with a silk liner? It would make a huge difference to my packing volume if I can leave the sleeping bag behind.
Thanks for any advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BryLl said:
July (starting in Porto). Would I need a sleeping bag or will I survive with a silk liner?
I have done it in May and a liner and T-shirt would have been enough, I ended up being quite cross with my one season sleeping bag for being so hot.

Greetings James! Well for my two cents worth...we did the Portuguese route in exactly late May. It was also a very very rainy year (2008) and a bit chilly. We all in our group had fleece bags and were fine. If I got chilly I simply added socks or another layer. Most if not all the places had blankets too, but honestly I think I only used on once in Padron.

Wishing you all the best,
Buen Camino,
Karin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi James,

i just came back from Santiago, i did the route in May and i slept in a bit heavy 1.4 kg sleeping bag :) the hostels were a little bit chilly in the first days, while accomodating to the rainy weather, but then it was ok. so my advice is to take a sleeping bag, not a heavy one.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back