• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags a must?

Dee Mac

Time of past OR future Camino
El camino Portuguese
Hi, hope this isn't a very silly question, but are sleeping bags a must to bring?

I am only doing the camino Portuguese for 7 nights and I've contacted one hostel already who said that they provide sheets and heavy blankets....is this the norm does anyone know or do I have to bring one?

Trying to cut down on back pack weight obviously, thanks for your help.

Dee

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dee,

If you add when you are walking that might help. I know that on the Frances in July/Aug, all that was necessary was a sleeping bag liner (sprayed with permethrin). And almost all the albuergues had blankets. But I'm ignorant of the Portugese route.

Buen Camino
Jo Jo

Hi JoJo

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm doing it next week, cutting it fine to be making these kind of decisions!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are going so soon and will be sleeping in albergues, I would definitely take a light sleeping bag. Mine weighs 600g and my silk liner about 200g and even though the sleeping bag is a bit heavier that extra warmth does make a difference. I walked from Tui/Valenca some years ago and was freezing because the albergues were large, made of stone, not heated and had hardly no other pilgrims in them to help heat the place up. In Mos I didn't sleep all night because I was cold - but then I sleep cold. If you don't, I suppose wearing wool long johns and a top, socks, hat, liner and a few blankets (since there will probably be some spare) might work. Look online to find the temps there at the moment, compare with the ones where you are, try to sleep in a liner with the window open or something. You'll soon find out. Good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Hi, hope this isn't a very silly question, but are sleeping bags a must to bring?

I am only doing the camino Portuguese for 7 nights and I've contacted one hostel already who said that they provide sheets and heavy blankets....is this the norm does anyone know or do I have to bring one?

Trying to cut down on back pack weight obviously, thanks for your help.

Dee

No. You must bring your own bedding. For most people a sleeping bag is the most convenient bedding to bring in a backpack. Sheets and a blanket would work as well. Either way I'd bring a pillow case.

I've only walked one Camino which as in 2014 during July/August and all that was necessary was a liner. I'm hoping to do either Camino Norde or Portuguese in the next month and will probably take a 600g sleeping bag + silk liner as I expect it to be a bit colder but I don't think it's necessary.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've only walked one Camino which as in 2014 during July/August and all that was necessary was a liner. I'm hoping to do either Camino Norde or Portuguese in the next month and will probably take a 600g sleeping bag + silk liner as I expect it to be a bit colder but I don't think it's necessary.

I have never done the camino. Hopefully my wife and will go this September, Gods Will.
Per what i have read peppering for my camino and since we will be going in September, witch will be chilly at night, ( 65°)we will take the 600 gr sleeping bag.

Goggle the the month you plan to go to check the weather how is going to be. If your going in summer you probably wont need it. It's going to be hot at night.

September ,still is nice but I'm from worm wether, so anything chilly it's cold for me.

And then there is the higiene side. There are lots of people that have slept in those beds.
I saw a you tube Documental that 4 girls got the bed bug from the last pilgrims that slept there. They woke up at 4am cover in blood and bites. (Make sure you carry this medicine in case. Its call Quanox) this bug is no joke.
So i think i will take mine. It's only 600gr.
Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.