• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags for a winter camino?

Hey all,

I was wondering whether anyone could give me an indication of what sort of sleeping bag I'd need for a November/December camino (in terms of warmth), or if anyone had one that they can reccommend that would suit this time of year? I'll be sleeping in the albergues and I've heard it can get pretty cold. But I'm also wanting to keep my weight down, of course. Bonus points for stuff that's available in AU.

Thanks,
Jo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - I like walking in cold conditions but I need to be warm especially for sleeping. My advice is to invest in a good winter bag ( lightweight of course :) ) designed to go to -5 degrees or more. Then you have flexibility and it will be a good investment if you are going to walk more in winter in future. Some may find this is overkill but it works for me. Also I find a sleeping suit of very lighweight thermal top and long johns ideal for unheated albergues. I use Rab - http://www.rab.uk.com/stockists/interna ... stockists/.

You can see the specs here which may be helpful for comparison with other makes:
http://www.rab.uk.com/equipment/sleepin ... ies---116/

Depending on where you are starting an option would be to buy in Spain - I've been impressed with the amount of equipment available in the larger Corte Ingles shops and there are shops with hiking quipment in the larger towns too.

Buen Camino

John

Hey John,

Thanks for you advice in regards to temperature range and stuff! I was thinking I should get something that goes down to -5 or -10 degrees, which matches what you say.

There is one thing that I probably should have mentioned though... I'm a student, and trying to save as much money as I can (without going to bad quality stuff, obviously). Those Quantum ones you pointed out look really cool and seem really light as well (!), but I've been looking at prices and something round 200 Pounds translates to a LOT of AUD. :lol:

*sigh*

It's easy to find good stuff, but finding good stuff within your budget it hard!

~jo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I totally understand and really that level of expenditure only works if you are going to use it again and again. You will definitely find cheaper alternatives and many (most?) albergues provide blankets (mantas) to supplement whatever you eventually decide on.

Artemisofephesus said:
Hey all,

I was wondering whether anyone could give me an indication of what sort of sleeping bag I'd need for a November/December camino (in terms of warmth), or if anyone had one that they can reccommend that would suit this time of year? I'll be sleeping in the albergues and I've heard it can get pretty cold. But I'm also wanting to keep my weight down, of course. Bonus points for stuff that's available in AU.

Thanks,
Jo

Hi,

I've walked several Caminos in winter.

Usually in the Camino Frances you will find the heating working fine. In quite cold places like Cebreiro even in late spring.

My worst camino in weather terms was my Sanabres in february/2006, when it was snowing a lot of days, with a lot of degress under (-7ºC in the morning in Tabara) and without heating in many places, where the last pilgrim passed about one week ago. In my opinion in that situation the worst moment is not the sleeping time, but when you leave the shower to take your towel!!

About the sleeping bag, a good winter one is recommended, but don't forget it's weight.

Buen Camino, enjoy it.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hey Javier,

Thanks for the help! I bought one the other day which was on sale for $200, it seems to be a really good one so I'm happy. It ges to -5 degrees, and I figure if I get really cold I'll just get a thermal or silk liner, then I'll be nice and snuggly. And I'm going to try and stick to the albergues that have some degree of heating!

What's hot water like, btw? Do most albergues have hot water in winter? (Might be a silly question, I don't know.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Artemisofephesus said:
What's hot water like, btw? Do most albergues have hot water in winter? (Might be a silly question, I don't know.)

Usually water is enough hot, that is not a problem. And most radiators are ready for you if you need to dry something.

And no, is not a silly question, when you have "enjoyed" the cold water when arriving late to the albergues on summer.

Buen Camino, better in winter in my opinion,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

hi there!

on my pilgrimages (usually October through to March) I almost exclusively sleep outdoors. My equipment is a 3-season sleeping bag from MAMMUT with synthetic fiber filling. Around that I have a Gore-Tex cocoon by Carinthia that adds insulation and waterproofness. Further insulation is provided by a Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 self-inflatable matress.

With that combination I have slept in all types of weather.

Be Well & Be Blessed!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.