• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bags for vdlp

senderos

We two are seeting off northbound from Sevilla in May, planning to stay in hostels for preference, but maybe we'll stay in some refugios. Should we bring sleeping bags?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes. There are not necessarily hostals/hotels in some towns but only refugios for which you would need a sleeping bag. I went at the same time last year and had sunny weather except for one afternoon in galicia. A lightweight one is enough but needed as the refugios may only have a covered mattress with no sheets/blankets.

Absolutely :!: Even when I slept in pensiones + hotels along the Camino, I slept inside my sleeping bag :!: :!: Kinda weird, eh? Ah, well... Best, xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the stretch between Sevilla and Salamanca - 520 kms - I found hostal or hotel accomodation every night in the quiet season of January. The standards were very good with fresh and clean beds and rooms for little cost. Indeed there was both heating in winter and air conditioning available for summer.

In May the weather is quite different. I think the answer to your question lies in what temperatures will you will find and this site gives good historical information for the the main places along the way which is worth checking:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Europe.htm

Buen Camino

John

Sleeping Bags

I walked Seville Santiago last July. By that time of the year there was certainly no need of a sleeping bag to keep warm. I took a sleeping bag and liner. I tossed the sleeping bag and used the liner for decency's sake when sleeping in a refuge with strangers. Bedding, even in the most modest of bars was always fresh and clean. I'd say don't take one and if you find you've made a mistake buy one en route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the tips everyone. Its a toss up then. To carry 800 grams extra or not? We are aiming for Zamora, or maybe Astorga this time, ojala!

Well we walked from Sevilla to Zamora in May/June. Staying mostly in hostals/hotels and a few refugios there was no need for a sleeping bag. However some refugios were very cold inside and luckily there were spare blankets. We were told a few refugios had neither blankets or bedding, merely shelter. So I would now say a sleeping bag is not needed at least for this bit unless you want to stay always in refugios.
http://www.senderos.awswa.com/Spain/via_de_la_plata.htm

senderos said:
We two are seeting off northbound from Sevilla in May, planning to stay in hostels for preference, but maybe we'll stay in some refugios. Should we bring sleeping bags?

Sleeping bag of some sort for warmth is most likely not necessary for summer months. It likely is for autumn and spring. It certainly is for winter.

But it is not only required for warmth but to serve as a means of isolating you from all the bunks in the albergues with bare mattresses that perhaps thousands of pilgrims before you have slept upon. Thusly, your sleeping 'bag' helps to isolate your body from further contaminating that mattress and, as such, leaving it just a little bit fresher the next evening for the next pilgrim to sleep upon. So, if its summer, and you opt not for the bag (or lightweight summer one) at least take a liner-for both yourself, as well as those who walk behind you! There are some excellent silk one that are a great compromise. Design Salt, comes to mind, from Germany, I believe. But there is another manufacturer in New Zealand that I prefer as it is cut fuller.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
some have glibly said you dont need a sleeping bag in summer.i think its better to check what the weather has actually been like rather than go by a calendar.im in souther france,its mid july and just finished raining_again and its about &( degrees
so far since le puy i have days of a max in the mid teens
the hostels provide one blanket and if its full you cant pinch one off another bed
check the weather not the calendar

We just got back from the last 250km of the VdlP and I would say a sleeping bag is a must. Not only does it provide a layer between you and the mattresses, but at some of the higher elevations it got quite chilly at night. One morning we woke and were "blowing smoke" with our breath inside the albergue! That was unusual, but the bag was well worth it. So at least go with a liner, even in summer.

Steve S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used a Marmot (0F/0C) bag on the VDLP and it was adequate for, welllll.... 9 out of ten nights. The one night out of ten I had to sleep with all my clothes on. But it only weighed 596 gm. So in this case, less is more, because you're already carrying your clothes, right?

Peace.

lynne

omar504 said:
i think its better to check what the weather has actually been like rather than go by a calendar.im in souther france,its mid july and just finished raining_again and its about &( degrees
so far since le puy i have days of a max in the mid teens

Good to hear from you omar! I have been watching the French weather sites for several months- in Le Puy, Cahors, and St Jean- and I have noticed there have been a surprising number of wet days. I am hoping it will be a drier year again next year!!!!
All the best for your continued walking.
A Kiwi

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back