• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bags in July/August

Rellrog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: March 2013
Le Puy: July 2015
Portugues: April 2018
La Plata: March 2020-to be continued
We will be starting the Le Puy in late July...on our way to St. Jean. We plan to stay in gites along the way and would like to send our sleeping bags to St. Jean (with other things) for storage if possible. Does anyone think we will need our sleeping bags during this time of the year. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not only no, but hell no. As long as you have a lightweight liner you'll be fine. I'm carrying a summer only bag that's very lightweight, but it's now at the bottom of my bag. I'm even wondering about throwing it out.

A lightweight liner is all you'll need to sleep in the gites, but you will need it in France. Sheets don't come with the gite beds; but on rare occasion you can rent sheets for an additional fee.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It will be very warm or hot in most albergue dorm rooms during the summer. Instead of a sleeping bag you might just take a lightweight liner. This will keep your body from directly touching the basic mattress.

Thank you all. We will likely ship our sleeping bags to St. Jean and use them in September for the Norte.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are doing the Camino del Norte after the Le Puy route as well. It has caused us all considerable thought whether to travel lighter in France with just a liner and then buy a sleeping bag in Irun or San Sebastian, or carry a sleeping bag the whole way. We will definitely need a sleeping bag in Spain.
Hope you have a wonderful camino.
Sharon

We will be starting the Le Puy in late July...on our way to St. Jean. We plan to stay in gites along the way and would like to send our sleeping bags to St. Jean (with other things) for storage if possible. Does anyone think we will need our sleeping bags during this time of the year. Thanks.

Unless you are a cold sleeper you should be ok with just a liner. Most places have blankets if you need them.
Buen(Snuggly-Sleeping) Camino

Thanks John. We also thought of purchasing a sleeping bag after the Le Puy, Sharon, but we will be spending a year in Europe and have other things to bring with us and ship. Our coordination and baggage are a little more complicated than the Frances two years ago. :) Good luck and Buen Caminos on your double.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Related to the issue of sleeping bags or not I have been stewing about the possible high temperature in August on the Le Puy. I have read much warning about the brutal heat there during this time of year. I recently went to the monthly historical weather reports for Le Puy and found that the average temperatures are around 75-76 degrees F in August with 1 day in 10 being over 85. This doesn't seem too bad to me since average temperature in Sacramento, California in August is 91 degrees. I know that I am limiting the research to the town of Le Puy and the other areas may get considerably warmer. Also, the humidity in Sacramento in August is usually in the 20s to low 30s while Le Puy is in the mid to high 50s. Can anyone shed any more light on the heat on the entire Le Puy Camino? Again, thanks!

I will be walking the Le Puy route starting early September to early October.

From the comments in this thread it seems a light sleeping bag would be advised, is this so?
What is usually provided by the gites, looking at Gavin's photos (thanks Gavin), it appears that most gites provide pillows (is this always the case?) and I see blankets in some photos, again is this standard or an exception?

And when we say light/summer sleeping bag, what are we talking about in terms of temperature rating or weight. Or would a light fleece blanket and a sleeping bag liner be a suitable option.

Thanks everyone.

Colin

I just returned from the route Le Puy-Moissac in June/July.
In every gite I found a pillow and there where blankets, so a lightweight liner is perfect.
Yes, it becomes very hot, but not in Le Puy. Their you are in the Massiv Central and it is quite cool. In the Lot-Valley (and later on) you are in the real "south of France" and we had up to 42° Celsius!
Hope you will have a great time
Barbara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just returned from the route Le Puy-Moissac in June/July.
In every gite I found a pillow and there where blankets, so a lightweight liner is perfect.
Yes, it becomes very hot, but not in Le Puy. Their you are in the Massiv Central and it is quite cool. In the Lot-Valley (and later on) you are in the real "south of France" and we had up to 42° Celsius!
Hope you will have a great time
Barbara

Thank you Barbara,
I hope you had a wonderful time.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back