• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bags/Liners are ESSENTIAL!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The question comes up regularly on the Camino forums, 'Will I need a sleeping bag in ......................."

Most of the albergues require that pilgrims have a sleep 'sack' of some sort, not for their warmth, or for their comfort, but for hygiene purposes and to protect the mattresses.

Pilgrims often arrive exhausted, plonk their pack on the floor and collapse onto the bed. Even if the mattress has a cover (and many beds don't have them) can you imagine if 250 000 hot, sweaty, dusty bodies lie down on the mattress without some form of cover on it!

When the hospitlaleros shake out the cover or bottom sheet in the mornings, all sorts of debris is dislodged from food crumbs, old blister plasters, skin and nail clippings, hair - including short-and-curlies. Hairs were the bane of my life in the albergue but we couldn't wash sheets every day so they were rotated, a few done every day. Covers and sheets are often sweat stained, and show food and blood stains from weeping sores or blisters.

PLEASE take a 'sack' of some sort - for your own sake and for the sake of the 100's of thousands who will follow and collapse on that bed every day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A silk sleeping-bag liner (to fit inside my lightweight 'mummy' sleeping bag) was always on my kit list but if I were tempted to reconsider, it's now a 'must' more than ever. In fact, the information you provide makes me quite tempted to follow the 'Hotel' option [Caminho Portugese da Costa, May/June 2015]. Saludos

I have always taken a sleeping bag that can unzip into a duvet. I open that on the bed before I lie down on it.
In Galicia, most municipal albergues hand out disposable mattress covers to all pilgrims when they arrive. At least this way, whatever you leave behind is thrown out with the disposable cover!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a silk liner with built in pillow case (Sea to Summit) AND a down "liner" that unzips (Montbell Down Thermal sheet), together they weigh nothing.
But, as far as Sillydoll's description, ignorance is bliss.

;) I agree with Philly. The question is not, "Do I need to bring a sleeping bag/Liner at all? " but 'Do I need a sleeping bag or liner?"
You need to bring something - not nothing at all!

We took REI "Travel Sack" synthetic bags and used them every night. They are rated at 55F/13C, and weigh 27 oz/765 g. They are therefore not as light in weight as a down bag for the same temperature rating, but since they cost less than $60US, the trade-ff was worth it for us. The price is about the same as a silk bag liner. There were a couple of places in the mountains (ex: the "barn" at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal) where the nights were a little cool, so we just threw an albergue-provided blanket over the sleeping bag. See http://www.rei.com/product/731835/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag
Jim

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
FYI, the above liners (Falcons post) made in Vietnam are smaller than the Sea to Summit and the pillow case is small too. But a heck of lot cheaper for sure!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The double size is $11.99 on ebay. Many Spanish pillows are like long barrels and don't fit in regular pillow cases!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They have a LARGE size. I just ordered one. It measures 220 cm long by 95 cm wide. It is definitely larger than the standard size. It cost USD 11.99 plus USD 8.99 postage to anywhere in the world. We will see what results.

The double size is IMHO too large for a single person and too small for two normal sized people - unless you are very intimate... ;)

Thanks for the lead. I will report back once I receive mine.

The thing is, does anybody already received the liners? Are they good?

I'm intending to buy one, I believe that I will not do it now, but in a nearby future, and I saw one in cotton on SportsDirect for only 10€, but I wanted to buy one in silk, but they are too expensive here in Portugal (always up from 35€). I wanted to buy one for my French camiño (which I'm considering doing in late August), or for summer camping.

Since I'm doing Spring Camiños, I'm taking one pair of thermals (pants and shirt) with me for sleeping. They are also light, and can also use them during the day if I'm in need to.

For the sleepping bag, I carry my BERG Ultralight, 850g, ranging 5º celsius for the comfort zone.

Best Regards
Diogo

I don't that I bought from that seller, but I did buy a mulberry silk liner for around that price from an ebay seller in Vietnam. It was the Hannah and Toni brand label, and yes, the quality was pretty amazing. I haven't walked the Camino yet, but I've been using it for some time for regular travel. No complaints at all, except that the side of the opening shouldn't be sewn up so far. I keep meaning to change it, but I prefer to use silk thread on silk and that's hard to come by around here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought a 100 % mulberry one like that in Viet Nam in 2008, they are sold pretty much everywhere and generally come in 3 different qualities; 100% mulberry silk, mix of mulberry and faux/artifical/plastic silk or 100% faux/artifical/plastic silk. The one above seems to be the latter. Whilst I consider silk to be a fabric made from mulberry silk worms - I have come to realise that is not so everywhere else, and the term "faux/artficial" silk is acceptable in many countries. 5U$ is far too cheap to be from pure mulberry silk imo (The usual; If a deal seems to good to be true, it most likely is...), but that does not mean that it will not be a good product.

I did not like the opening on the one I bought, so ripped up about 30cm down 1 side, then put some stitches in to prevent in ripping further. It has been great.
May be I was just lucky with mine, but it has come along on hiking trips, backpacking trips and camping, and has probably been used somewhere between 500-600 nights. By the looks of it - it still has lots of life left in it. If I'd known at the time how great it would turn out to be, I would have gotten more and given them to (like minded) friends as presents

Yes, looking for my receipt, I see mine was actually about $19, which I still consider a super price considering what it would have cost from a US retailer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As I mentioned in my first post, I ordered a LARGE sized liner from the Vietnam vendor on e-Bay. The LARGE sized bag cost USD 11.00 plus 8.00 for worldwide shipping. The liner arrived in about 10 days - not too bad.

The first thing I did was to put the liner and bag into the wash: cold water, delicate / hand wash cycle, with minimum soap. My intention was to remove any excess blue dye. This sometimes occurs with silk.

First, the liner took the machine wash perfectly. After spinning dry, I hung it over the shower curtain rod to dry. It was dry in about five hours. The liner compresses to about 2.5 liters or less. I stuffed it into a sil-nylon stuff sack of that size with room to spare.

Second, the liner is generously sized for a single, largish, person like me. It is rectangular, as opposed to a mummy shape, has a pillow pocket, and is partially open at one side to assist getting in and out. I recommend only buying the standard sized liner if you are sized like a Vietnamese person - very petite. There seemed to be there distinct sizes: regular, LARGE, and double. Based on my experience, I believe the double is for two petite (e.g. Vietnamese) sized persons. The recommended size for a "normal" sized single-person would be the LARGE size.

Third, the liner is excellent value for the money paid IMHO. I napped in it for several hours one day with my windows open in late February - just outside Washington, D.C. I dropped the temperature in the room I napped in to the high 50s Fahrenheit. The liner was adequate to keep me comfortable - not toasty warm mind you, but comfortable. It is not a sleeping bag. It is a bag liner. Inside, or in a warm weather environment, it should be enough. Besides, you can always sleep in your fleece layer if you need it.

Bottom line, as long as you buy the right size, I feel this is a very cost-effective silk sleeping bag liner. I plan to use mine when I start in St. Jean on 27 April this year.

I hope this helps someone.

I read your advice too late to change my order so ended up with the 'regular' size . I thought i would give it to one of my grand-children if too small and order again but.... It's fine ! Phew! And lovely colour, washed well as you said... Very happy with it as it is sooooooo much cheaper than the ones sold in London :eek:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I read your advice too late to change my order so ended up with the 'regular' size . I thought i would give it to one of my grand-children if too small and order again but.... It's fine ! Phew! And lovely colour, washed well as you said... Very happy with it as it is sooooooo much cheaper than the ones sold in London :eek:

All's well that ends well.:)

I used a silk liner with built in pillow case (Sea to Summit) AND a down "liner" that unzips (Montbell Down Thermal sheet), together they weigh nothing.
But, as far as Sillydoll's description, ignorance is bliss.
Phillypilgrim I have you to blame and this forum...have just bought the Montbell DTS as above (on an ultralight UK site) had to get a bag as the Mummy one I used before drove me mad. I had bought an envelope silk liner last year so now have both weighing in under 600g...will let everyone know how they are used on the VdeLPlata this April.

Hopefully you are as happy with the system as I am!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We will be starting our walk at SJPDP on the 19th of May, my husband is tempted to take only a liner and no sleeping bag! Do you know if most of the albergues provide blankets? Would this be a wise move or not? I'm definately taking a sleeping bag but wonder if a liner is also necessary? Are pillows provided at the albergues and should we take pillow cases? Help please.
Thanks everyone,
Lyndie Lou

We will be starting our walk at SJPDP on the 19th of May, my husband is tempted to take only a liner and no sleeping bag! Do you know if most of the albergues provide blankets? Would this be a wise move or not? I'm definately taking a sleeping bag but wonder if a liner is also necessary? Are pillows provided at the albergues and should we take pillow cases? Help please.
Thanks everyone,
Lyndie Lou

Lyndie Lou,

May will be warm. Since most albergues have blankets (but NOT all) just a liner should be sufficient. Some albergues have pillows (but NOT all); however, there is no standard shape pillow used. Take a lightweight cotton square to cover the pillow; I use a simple dishtowel. Most albergues automatically provide throw-away paper bottom sheets and pillow cases.

MM

Thanks for that advice I have a very happy husband at the thought of leaving his sleeping bag at home! I think I'll still take mine.............although there's a while before we leave so I can mull it over and who knows what might happen........

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Phillypilgrim I have you to blame and this forum...have just bought the Montbell DTS as above (on an ultralight UK site) had to get a bag as the Mummy one I used before drove me mad. I had bought an envelope silk liner last year so now have both weighing in under 600g...will let everyone know how they are used on the VdeLPlata this April.
I'd love to hear how this worked out for you.

They have a LARGE size. I just ordered one. It measures 220 cm long by 95 cm wide. It is definitely larger than the standard size. It cost USD 11.99 plus USD 8.99 postage to anywhere in the world. We will see what results.

The double size is IMHO too large for a single person and too small for two normal sized people - unless you are very intimate... ;)

Thanks for the lead. I will report back once I receive mine.
Was you large size pure silk?

Was you large size pure silk?

Yes it was. However, it was very difficult to get into and out of as it only had a partial opening at the top. Being a 60-something male, I need to use the toilet every 2-3 hours. So, after the second night enduring wriggling into and out of my silk liner, it was donated at Roncesvalles.

When I got to Pamplona, I found an Altus 600 gm mummy bag with a full-zip at El Corte Ingles. All was fine after that. The Altus bag is smaller and lighter than my 880 gm SnugPak "Traveller" bag from last year, and just as comfortable. I am a cold sleeper, so I tend to have any bag open to my waist in all but the coolest temperatures.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes it was. However, it was very difficult to get into and out of as it only had a partial opening at the top. Being a 60-something male, I need to use the toilet every 2-3 hours. So, after the second night enduring wriggling into and out of my silk liner, it was donated at Roncesvalles.

When I got to Pamplona, I found an Altus 600 gm mummy bag with a full-zip at El Corte Ingles. All was fine after that. The Altus bag is smaller and lighter than my 880 gm SnugPak "Traveller" bag from last year, and just as comfortable. I am a cold sleeper, so I tend to have any bag open to my waist in all but the coolest temperatures.

I hope this helps.
Thanks so, much. It certainly helps my husband is also 60+!! carol

I spent the coldest month of July on the Camino Frances. I had a fleece sleeping bag liner and had several cold nights, which made my days difficult. Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe and many places on the Camino are at over 900+ meters (3,000 feet almost) and it's chilly.

If you bring a 700 gram performance sleeping bag (Think Marmot Hydrogen) you will ALWAYS have a warm night. :) If that doesn't put a smile on your face, what will? :)

Recommended sleeping bags:

Marmot Hydrogen
Zpacks (www.zpacks.com)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.