• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Sleeping bags needed in Galacia last wk in May?

HikerSails2

I'm walking just the final 150 km, from O Cebreiro on to Santiago. I have decided that since I'm traveling the last week in May, the refugios will probably have beds available. But in reading the "Pilgrim's Guide...." I just got in the mail, it says sleeping bags are needed if one expects to sleep in a refugio. So now I'm a bit concerned.

I have a new sleep sack, very light, and planned to place it on a mattress. I figured that in late May I could expect to find a bed or mattress and use the sleep sack to sleep in.

Am I reasonably safe in not packing a sleeping bag, expecting to find a mattress?

Thanks...Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sleeping bags

Hi Peregrino

I've always carried a sleeping bag and have been glad for it!

I have a friend who used a sheet last time, BUT he also stayed in hostels as well as albuergues.

My bag weights 1.6 lbs. worth the weight. In Galicia it can get pretty cool at night, even in August.

I prefer to have the bag between me and the hundreds of pilgrims who have used the mattress before me. Kinda keeps the dust off a bit.
Buen Camino Peregrino!
Mabel

dear hiker

i recommend taking a length of polar fleece from a fabric store or a polarfleece sleeping bag--light, cheap, easy to pack

i just returned from hospitalero training where they told us that many if not most albergues now have mattresses covered with something resembling naugahyde--apparently there was a big flea epidemic in 2005 and the government came around and sprayed all the albergues in the interest of containing it--anyway, i'm wondering myself if i don't want something more substantial than my silk sleep sack between me and a plastic covered mattress

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
dear hiker

i recommend taking a length of polar fleece from a fabric store or a polarfleece sleeping bag--light, cheap, easy to pack

i just returned from hospitalero training where they told us that many if not most albergues now have mattresses covered with something resembling naugahyde--apparently there was a big flea epidemic in 2005 and the government came around and sprayed all the albergues in the interest of containing it--anyway, i'm wondering myself if i don't want something more substantial than my silk sleep sack between me and a plastic covered mattress

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
sleeping bags

Hi!
I just read the recent post by Leslie.

My bag weights 1.6 lbs. and as I told you....I have always felt better having it! In Galicia it can chilly in the evenings, even in August. But I have always felt better just having it.
My friend who did it twice did not have a bag, but he also slept in Hostels as well as albuergues. But he went in 2001 and then in 2004

Reading posts in the site maintained by
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

there were several complaints of fleas and even lice in a few albuergues last year and a few this year.....I am glad I am taking my repellant as well as my bag!

Buen Camino, Peregrino!
Mabel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
dear hiker

Hi Leslie,
Do you mean that you would recommend only taking a polar-fleece sleeping bag and not one that has an outer lining such as nylon? Just checking that I understand correctly. Would this be ok, setting off in April from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port? Thanks! - Dawn.

Hola @Dawn Gibson - you have found a very old thread which was referring to a late May pilgrimage starting nearer to Santiago.
Walking late April/early May we have always carried the nylon-outer type sleeping bag with a synthetic fill and rated for cool weather. Weighed around 750-800gms. IMO anything else could leave you feeling cold.

Thanks Tia. This is great info. I am excitedly planning my trip but I think I need to pay more attention to the posts!:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Back