• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags, shipping bags and reservations

String bean

Time of past OR future Camino
September
So many questions!!! We are planing to walk the Camino Frances starting September 1. Will we need sleeping bags? Also we have been told you may send your heavy bag on ahead, is that possible the entire walk? Sorry, one last question. I’ve read where you shouldn’t book ahead, I understand, but I’ve been looking ahead at some of our kinda planned stopping areas and they are filling up fast. Just want to know we have a place to stay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So many questions!!! We are planing to walk the Camino Frances starting September 1. Will we need sleeping bags? Also we have been told you may send your heavy bag on ahead, is that possible the entire walk? Sorry, one last question. I’ve read where you shouldn’t book ahead, I understand, but I’ve been looking ahead at some of our kinda planned stopping areas and they are filling up fast. Just want to know we have a place to stay.
Hi String Bean!

I will only respond to two of your questions as I have walked the Frances but it was in 2015 and in May and June. So, I don't know if you would need a sleeping bag. I would suspect no but I will defer to others with experience in September. I believe it is possible to get bags transported throughout the Frances. It was fairly popular in 2015, so I suspect it is now as well. Finally for booking the best advice I will give you here is this: there are no "shoulds." Folks fall on both sides of the reservation debate. If not having a room booked will make you crazy with anxiety, then book ahead. If you are an adventurous type and don't mind looking around or going further or taking a taxi at certain times, then leaving it to the Camino is fine.

You'll get a lot of opinions on all issues on this forum. Ultimately, it is your Camino and your choice about how to walk it.

Buen Camino!!!

Suzanne

Hi @String bean (great name!) and enjoy the planning.

If you are walking from Sarria then I would not bother with a sleeping bag, but if you are walking from SJPDP then you will be walking for over a month.

It is usually warm at the beginning of September but cold snaps can happen at any time. I've walked in September/October in hot dry conditions, but I've also had cold and wet conditions. I always take a something warm in which to sleep. These days I use a silk sleeping bag liner with a down throw (very cheap from Costco) over the top.

As for reservations, it depends on the type of accommodation you plan to use. Most municipal, donativo or association albergues cannot be reserved. Private ones, and other private more luxurious accommodation can be reserved. Again, it depends on whether you are planning to walk only the last 100km, or all the way from SJPDP. If only from Sarria, which will be quite crowded in early September, then yes, I would book. If from SJPDP then I would book the first couple of days (SJPDP, Orisson, Roncesvalles) but not after that. Then see how you get on. Even when I do book ahead (usually the last 100km) I only do so the day before, using my smartphone - I buy a local SIM when I arrive in Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I recommend taking a liner in September. Alburge's have blankets if you need one. The crowds start diminishing mid September so you may experience some competition in securing a bunk. I recommend to start early and finish early, you shouldn't have any problem fining a bed. Calling ahead to make a reservation everyday takes away the spontaneity of your journey.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes String Bean, take a sleeping bag or silk liner...good for keeping bedbugs at bay....I think it's comforting...but there are blankets...last year my son & I walked from SJPP to SdC August 22 nd to Sept 22nd....very hot! I had to send my bag on every day, so this year's Camino I booked every night a private Albergue (€10) so then rang my bag guy. They really looked after me... just slipped the€7 in their envelope each morning. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back