• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bags still required?

Liddybee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2017
Porto to Santiago September 2018
Via Francigena Upcoming in 2020
For those currently on the Frances…are sleeping bags still required at the albergues? I thought I had previously read they were no longer allowed, but maybe that was on the Portugues? Or maybe I was just dreaming? Planning on a September Camino with my niece who has not walked one before and want to be sure we’re both properly equipped.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those currently on the Frances…are sleeping bags still required at the albergues? I thought I had previously read they were no longer allowed, but maybe that was on the Portugues? Or maybe I was just dreaming? Planning on a September Camino with my niece who has not walked one before and want to be sure we’re both properly equipped.
I would never stay in an albergue without my silk sleep sack. I don't fancy the alternative of sleeping on top of those disposable sheets.

I would never stay in an albergue without my silk sleep sack. I don't fancy the alternative of sleeping on top of those disposable sheets.
Private albergues often have comfy cotton sheets, but I've seen many that appear to be rarely washed.😝 I always take my own lightweight sleeping bag and pillowcase in spring.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some albergues have a notice on their website saying that sleeping bags are required as a (covid) health measure but I don't think that it is universal.

A sleepingbag is stil required in most albergues, also private ones. You might get (need to pay for) a blanket and sheets, but don count in that.
I do see that more people just go without, they can be a burden to many hospitalero's.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Recent articles in some of the Spanish newspapers told pilgrims to bring a sleeping bag, as albergues would likely NOT have blankets available. Same for sheets.

However, albergues that dispense or sell disposable, single-use, sheets and pillows might still do so. But, given the economic effects of the pandemic, expect to pay a few Euros more for these.

Bottom line, bring at least a desired sleep sack, and be prepared to sleep in the clothing you plan to wear the next day - it should be relatively clean and dry. This is also when you will appreciate bringing a fleece jacket or pullover, and a beanie hat.

Finally, I recommend that you reconsider the sleeping bag. Assume that no blankets will be available at most albergues.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
Bottom line, bring at least a desired sleep sack, and be prepared to sleep in the clothing you plan to wear the next day - it should be relatively clean and dry. This is also when you will appreciate bringing a fleece jacket or pullover, and a beanie hat.

Finally, I recommend that you reconsider the sleeping bag.
This is exactly what I do, too.

I third what t2andreo and Camino Crissy's second. If it gets unseasonably cold by the time you get to Astorgia maybe you could by a light one. I have walked into early November with just a silk liner and putting on some extra clothes to sleep

Finally, I recommend that you reconsider the sleeping bag. Assume that no blankets will be available at most albergues.
Why carry the weight and bulk of something you most likely will not need. If there is ever a requirement for a sleeping bag I am sure a silk liner would be just as acceptable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why carry the weight and bulk of something you most likely will not need. If there is ever a requirement for a sleeping bag I am sure a silk liner would be just as acceptable.
Silk liners are acceptable. I prefer a sleeping bag only because I walk in early spring, am relatively thin and I don't like feeling chilly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I assume you are inquiring about a personal sleep sack because there is bit a sleeping beg requirement that I know of. We used light cotton sleep sacks but walked in May and June.

I assume you are inquiring about a personal sleep sack because there is bit a sleeping beg requirement that I know of. We used light cotton sleep sacks but walked in May and June.
It’s a COV health precaution not to provide blankets (that were suspected at the start to be potential vectors for spread). Rather than go back and forth and back and forth, the albergue seem to have stuck to it.
Fine by me: many of those blankets were old and gross.
If I’m back out there next winter, I will take my silk liner and down hiking quilt inside it, sleep dressed as others suggest….
Not least of all because those old blankets easily house the dreaded bedbugs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just made a couple of reservations on the Camino Francés and almost every albergues states that bringing your own sleeping bag is mandatory because of covid-19. Some also state that blankets won't be available this year.

I have just made a couple of reservations on the Camino Francés and almost every albergues states that bringing your own sleeping bag is mandatory because of covid-19. Some also state that blankets won't be available this year.
That’s very useful info thanks, and seal the decision to take a sleeping bag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don’t know about Camino Frances but on Camino portugues de la Costa some Albergues provide sheets and also blankets and even one bath towel, and some only a disposable sheet and pillow case
I experienced that pre-COVID too. It was always a delightful surprise when handed bedding and towel at registration. Luxury!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That doesn’t mean you don’t need a sleeping bag .. I still carry one just in case and I was happy anyway to have it twice ! Cant take the risk of spoiling a day of walk if I was cold the night before ...especially in Galicia by the sea when you can have hot afternoon but fresh night after the fog arise with the change of tides ( same phenomenon at home in Brittany on the seaside

Why you say that?
There are some simple differences. The biggest two reasons are the weather and the number of people. I may be slightly off but there are definitely more pilgrims walking in September than in late March/early April. The exact figures I cannot say of course. The second is the weather. It is cooler and damper in the spring and can be very hot in September. The albergues will be more crowded and now post covid it may be more difficult to get a bed because of the restrictions. Of course we will not know that until next year. I like to walk in more solitude and quiet. I walked the CF 3 times. The first two times were in Sept/Oct and in 2019 November and December. In October the weather can be very changeable. The first time the Meseta was very hot 90+ and the second time it was pouring rain and very windy and 40-50F almost every day. In November it was a variety of things rain, really high winds, snow, the whole kitchen sink. Again it is always a choice and what you prefer. I would always rather walk in cold than hear. I haven't walked in early spring but after 5 caminos I have many friends who have and I believe my description is pretty accurate.
On a side note, I know prefer to walk quieter caminos. VDLP starting mid October this year. I noticed in a late fall Camino Norte and my last CF pilgrims seem to be a little more independent and I noticed alot fewer "families". It is not to say that they are less friendly at that time just more people who enjoyed walking alone. I still met many of the same people in albergues in the evenings and formed just as strong relationships on those caminos. Looking forward to seeing how many people I will encounter on the VDLP and the character of that camino this fall. I am sure others may have a different outlook.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You assume too much -- not everyone is on the Francès ; not everyone is happy with such light kit.

Just personally, as I find myself having to sleep outdoors rather frequently, the notion of my packing no bag would be rather quaint.

Besides, the more you're outside of the warm months, and the more you might want the kit.

There is NO one size fits all answer to this. And your silk liner isn't one either.

I brought a liner because I thought it would be hot but it's been quite cold from Leon, and some albergues didn't want to give me a blanket for 'hygiene reasons'. So I would definitely bring my own ultralight sleeping bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My lightweight sleeping bag is my little "cocoon" when sleeping in albergues. I have never even felt the need to pin up a scarf, etc. for privacy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You assume too much -- not everyone is on the Francès ; not everyone is happy with such light kit.

Just personally, as I find myself having to sleep outdoors rather frequently, the notion of my packing no bag would be rather quaint.

Besides, the more you're outside of the warm months, and the more you might want the kit.

There is NO one size fits all answer to this. And your silk liner isn't one either.
I wasn't assuming anything. I was just relaying my thoughts. The person who posed the question said nothing about sleeping outdoors. It is warm in September as you well know and I did say if it did get colder you can easily buy a bag. Some may say that the idea of sleeping outside is "quaint". I do not. I say to each his own. If that is the way you like to walk than have a great camino and take the gear that is appropriate for you. Again for you a bag is a necessity, for me a bag at that time of year is just added weight and bulk. Not an assumption at all just what each individual preference is.
I have seen your posts before and you have the term "true pilgrim". I sometimes wonder and often read about people's feelings on this. So I was wondering what you mean by that. I am asking not as a criticism just out of interest. I used to think about that definition of a pilgrim and the general definition of pilgrimage. I used to talk about it with some friends now I just have my own and let it be for everyone else. Again just a question, not a set up or criticism. Buen Camino

The question is indeed whether sleeping bags are still required by albergues. This has nothing to do with how cold or warm you found sleeping in albergues in 2019 or whether a liner and next day's clothing was enough for you. In 2021, because of the Covid-19 pandemic, albergues in Galicia and along the Camino Frances and elsewhere require it. "Pilgrims will receive a disposable bed cover and pillow cover kit. The use of your own sleeping bag is mandatory." it says in the English translation. "Es obligatorio el uso de saco de dormir propio." it says in Spanish. Or: "Cada peregrino deberá llevar su propio saco de dormir".

Whether your own sleeping bag is a liner, an ultralight sleeping bag or a normal duty sleeping bag is beside the point. You need to bring something where you put your whole body into while you lie on a bed in a pilgrim albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Everyone has his best solution, not decided by others.

I could never hike without a sleeping bag personally, but I'm pleased when I see those pilgrims travelling light who do without.

My only real point is that it's such a particular question that it lacks any general answer.

Those who would be better with, should bring one ; conversely, those better off without should leave it at home.

And as for those in-between, well, an ultra-light summer bag would do in most circumstances, including any more chilly Spring or Autumn nights when a liner alone might not do the trick.

As to administrative obligations, not once so far this year has any hospitalero demanded that I must absolutely be carrying my bag.

It may be more of a 2020 thing, since fallen by the wayside.

are sleeping bags still required at the albergues? I thought I had previously read they were no longer allowed
The OP question was clearly about requirements, not advisability. It also raises a question of whether they are forbidden in some cases.

The requirement will likely vary in different regions and different albergues, but several posts in this thread address the question.

My response below tries to clear up the question of whether they are forbidden.
I suspect you had heard about some gites in France where people were not allowed to use their own sleeping bags. As far as I know, that has never been the case in Spain.

The following is not a good discussion to start on this thread about sleeping bags. In fact the topic often has resulted in acrimony on other threads.
I have seen your posts before and you have the term "true pilgrim". I sometimes wonder and often read about people's feelings on this. So I was wondering what you mean by that. I am asking not as a criticism just out of interest.

I carry a lightweight sleeping bag (750g), and space blanket, on any camino, every camino, at any time of the year, summer, winter, hot or cold . . . if all hell breaks loose, anywhere, anytime, inside, outside, I can bed down and sleep . . . . . .

€46,-
The OP question was clearly about requirements, not advisability. It also raises a question of whether they are forbidden in some cases.

The requirement will likely vary in different regions and different albergues, but several posts in this thread address the question.

My response below tries to clear up the question of whether they are forbidden.

The following is not a good discussion to start on this thread about sleeping bags. In fact the topic often has resulted in acrimony on other threads.
I know it does and I was not trying to start acrimony at all sorry.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back