• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags

NoExcusesJenn

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances 2020
Hey everyone,
I am planning on walking the Camino in late July threwout august and into september. I am hoping to sleep most of the way in tents along the way what tempterature should I get for my sleeping bag so that I stay warm at night, what are the temperatures like at night on the way.
Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
NoExcusesJenn said:
I am hoping to sleep most of the way in tents along the way
Before worrying about your sleeping bag, check the Forum about restrictions to sleeping in a tent along the Camino. As far as temperatures go in July, August and September, reckon with warm weather.

I have walked the entire Camino in July and I found it quite cold at night. Even during the day sometimes, in the wind, I was chilly. You have to remember that Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe. Leon, for example, a wonderful place to stop and spend the night and admire the cathedral, is at over 900 meters above sea-level. At night, even in July, it's chilly. I spent many a night on the floors of refugios and monasteries and I only had a fleece sleeping bag liner and I was freezing.
If I were to sleep outside at 900 meters, even in July, I would want a sleeping bag that would keep me warm at the freezing point (0 C or 32 F). It's unlikely that it will get that low, and your tent will help as well, but I like to sleep warm. Try to find one with a weight below 800g.

Check the forum for other people who have used tents. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you're discreet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sleeping bags and tents- cons:
You'll need a 0 degrees celsius bag=1 kg at least
sleeping mat=0.3 kg
tent=1.5 kg at least
A bigger pack= +1 kg
cooking gear=0.5 kg at least
All means more weight.
You'll spending a lot of time alone while the Camino is all about being together, during the day you'll walk and make friends with people whom you'll leave upon enetering a village because they will head straight to the albergue and you will wonder around looking for a camping place which is almost imposible to find, you'll have no laundry and shower facilities.
The camino is not a trail to sleep not in albergues. It's about meeting and being with people , but that's me and others and you might feel different.

zammy said:
Sleeping bags and tents- cons:
You'll need a 0 degrees celsius bag=1 kg at least
sleeping mat=0.3 kg
tent=1.5 kg at least
A bigger pack= +1 kg
cooking gear=0.5 kg at least
All means more weight.

Or you could invest in some lightweight gear:

Your Sleepingbag:
30F/-1 C Zpacks 900 fill-power sleeping bag 408g
or 30F/-1C Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag 702g

Your Tent:
Zpacks Hexamide 425g
Vaude Power Tokee Ultralight: 825g

Your Backpack:
Gossamer Gear Gorilla 46L 715g
Gossamer Gear G4 66L 464g (size M)
Zpacks 50L 255g

Sleeping Pad:
Therma-a-rest NeoAir XLite: 350g
Therma-a-rest ProLite:460g
Closed-cell foam pad 0.6cm 180 X 50cm: 135g

There are lots of options, none of which have to be heavy and cumbersome. Many people walk the Camino without a sleeping bag or pad, which means, unfortunately, that they have to find a bed at the end of the day. If you bring at least a sleeping bag and a sleeping mat (air or foam) you know that you will be warm and can sleep on the floor when you arrive if there are no more beds. I've spent literally dozens of nights on the floor (and once on a kitchen table!) of refugios and monasteries because I arrived late in the day and there were no longer any beds left.

If you have the time do some research, you'll find lots of information on lightweight gear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If the information on your profile is correct and you are not walking until 2020 I would hold off on buying any gear yet as the technoligy changes so much. Boots, bags, tents etc will get lighter. Boots I bought five years ago, and I thought were lightweight, are so much heavier than the ones I bought for the camino, and I'm sure in seven years time they will be even lighter still. No harm in planning ahead though.
Buen camino. :arrow:

wayfarer said:
If the information on your profile is correct and you are not walking until 2020 I would hold off on buying any gear yet as the technoligy changes so much. Boots, bags, tents etc will get lighter. Boots I bought five years ago, and I thought were lightweight, are so much heavier than the ones I bought for the camino, and I'm sure in seven years time they will be even lighter still. No harm in planning ahead though.
Buen camino. :arrow:

That is a very good point, but I do plan to do alot of hiking and backpacking in the Rocky mountains over the next few years as I live only 1 hour away forom them so getting the gear would have another purpose, I just wanted to know if I buy a sleeping bag for my summer treks in the mountains if it will suffice for the Camino.

NoExcusesJenn said:
That is a very good point, but I do plan to do alot of hiking and backpacking in the Rocky mountains over the next few years as I live only 1 hour away forom them so getting the gear would have another purpose, I just wanted to know if I buy a sleeping bag for my summer treks in the mountains if it will suffice for the Camino.
In that case you will have a very good idea of what works and what doesn't. I walked in April/May and so took a sleeping bag that was good for lower temps, and I needed it for the hostels that had no heating, but from reading this forum I think that in July/September a lighter bag would do and I would also bring a silk liner bag, this may all you will need if its hot/warm. I envy you the Rockies, they sound wonderful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back