• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags?

wichanee

We are a couple of elderly folks (late 60s) who try to travel light and plan to do away with bulky sleeping bags as we intend to spend each night in private accom with a bed under our weary bodies.
Is it possible to find private accom at all stops and if not, is it possible to stay at the rufugio without sleeping bags?
We will start our walk on May 19th and if need be have to rush off and buy the bags right away.
Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi wichanee, 60 here.

I have a sleeping bag that's light/small enough to fit on the palm of my hand, been using it for a couple of years and it's worked out fine.

Is it possible to find private accom at all stops? Not at all stops, wichanee.

bpossible to stay at the rufugio without sleeping bags? Absolutely, but not recommended mostly for hygenic reasons. Some albergues will have bedclothing others not.

I'd suggest u seriously consider getting the sleeping bags and trying them out before you go. And do give albergues a try. Staying in them is an important part of the pilgrimage as u get to break bread with fellow-pilgrims from diff corners of the planet. I do like to stay in hotels/pensiones every few days, but mostly it can be a very memorable experience when u stay at a really nice refugio with an hospitalero/a + pilgrims that u will connect with.

Best, xm 8)

Don't feel that you have to stay in the refuges - and a silk sleeping bag liner will provide a lot of the warmth of a bag and might be sensible in the warmer months

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
spursfan, the problem then would be that as u know there r places where there's no choice, unless they plan their journey in such a way where there r althernatives all the time. I've never planned my walks with this in mind, it should be interesting to fing out how it could be done. Best, xm 8)

I was trying to do some latitude by confirming that it's perfectly possible not to carry sleeping bags, especially if they're planning to stay in private hostels rather than refuges

They just need to give up a little flexibility by aiming to stop at places with private hostels (not found everywhere but very frequent) but bring a silk sleeping bag liner just in case they need to stay in a refuge once or twice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
wichanee;

You may want to look at the ultralight sleeping bags. I just purchased a mummy style down bag that compresses into a bag the size of a football and weighs a mere pound. It is temperature rate to 32 degrees.
Lora

Hi spursfan, staid thinking about ur remark re: "in case they need to stay in a refuge once or twice." If ur talking about walking (any of the) Caminos am familiar with, I can't see how u will only be staying at an albergue "once or twice." It definitely will have to be many more times than that, unless the pilgrims in question do a careful planning where they walk from private acomm to private acomm. That's if they're walking, which am assuming they r. If not, no prob. Best, xm 8)

xm and all,
Thanks for your kind advice.
I read somewhere on this board that you may be able to overnight at private accom almost all the way so I asked the vital question for me and my husband whether we pack the sleeping bags or not. To be on the safe side, I have now decided to take the ultralight ones with us.
We are leaving Bangkok for New York tonight so no time to source it from home. Will be in NYC a week before flying off to Madrid. Any advice from New Yorkers here on the board where should I go to get the ultralight sleeping bags?
If you happen to see a pair of senior citizens with identical backpacks and identical walking boots starting the walk from Roncesvalles on May 19, give us a shove on the right direction towards SdC.
Will report back from time to time.
Wichanee & David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Forum bages

Have a wonderful walk.
And, if you want to meet others from this forum pin a yellow 'banderas' onto your backpack - and smile!

spursfan, I was thinking...I believe u can do the C Portugues from private to private acommodations, no prob. Dunno about the other ones to what extent. Best, xm 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back