• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2013)
Portuguese (2015)
VDlP(2017)
Camino Mozarabe/Levante from Toledo (2018)
hello all, we are hoping to walk the VdlP starting the end on March 2017. We carried sleeping bags on the Frances and found they were seldom needed. Would you recommend taking a sleeping bag on the VdlP?

Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would strongly recommend taking a sleeping bag. Some albergues do provide sheets and blankets, but many just provide well worn blankets and a few nothing at all. And it can get below freezing in March and April and a blanket will be totally inadequate. I bring a very light weight bag good to 55 degrees plus a liner for cold nights.

The best recommendation is always for ultra-light military quality ones. (mine was stolen in Paris --- :mad:)

Very expensive if you're not lucky at the flea market, but their superiority over sportsware ones is significant.

Heavier bags are great, but carrying them is a chore ; typical ultra-light ones are often basically just bedwear to carry but useless for outdoors ; but ultra-light military is easy to carry and excellent.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My next long camino is likely to be the Via de la Plata, probably in the winter of 2018. To date, I have purchased two sleeping bags for walking the camino: a 980 g. bag for walking the Frances in the late fall of 2015 and a 600 g. bag for walking the Aragones to the Frances to Santiago in the fall of 2016. Both bags were fine, but I chose a lighter bag for the second camino. Neither of these bags is a down bag, as I am allergic to down. Having used a silk liner with a sleeping bag on a trip to New Zealand, I know that liners are not for me. If I am walking the Via de la Plata from February to March of 2018, which bag should I take? Should I take a bivvy sac for the chance that there would be no accommodation open at that time of year in a distance that I could walk in a day? Yes, I know that this is way ahead of time, but I don't suppose that threads about sleeping bags for the Via de la Plata appear very often. I am home for two weeks now, and already getting restless. I expect to be able to do a shorter camino between now and then, but need something specific to look forward to and plan for. Buen camino to all who are nearing their next excursion.

My next long camino is likely to be the Via de la Plata, probably in the winter of 2018. To date, I have purchased two sleeping bags for walking the camino: a 980 g. bag for walking the Frances in the late fall of 2015 and a 600 g. bag for walking the Aragones to the Frances to Santiago in the fall of 2016. Both bags were fine, but I chose a lighter bag for the second camino. Neither of these bags is a down bag, as I am allergic to down. Having used a silk liner with a sleeping bag on a trip to New Zealand, I know that liners are not for me. If I am walking the Via de la Plata from February to March of 2018, which bag should I take? Should I take a bivvy sac for the chance that there would be no accommodation open at that time of year in a distance that I could walk in a day? Yes, I know that this is way ahead of time, but I don't suppose that threads about sleeping bags for the Via de la Plata appear very often. I am home for two weeks now, and already getting restless. I expect to be able to do a shorter camino between now and then, but need something specific to look forward to and plan for. Buen camino to all who are nearing their next excursion.
Hi Alberta girl, we are from Red Deer, where in Alberta are you from?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would strongly recommend taking a sleeping bag. Some albergues do provide sheets and blankets, but many just provide well worn blankets and a few nothing at all. And it can get below freezing in March and April and a blanket will be totally inadequate. I bring a very light weight bag good to 55 degrees plus a liner for cold nights.
Thank you, this is very useful information! Will definitely take our sleeping bags then :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I am walking the Via de la Plata from February to March of 2018, which bag should I take?
In early March 2016 I walked a few stages between Merida and Salamanca (before switching to the Frances for various reasons). It was quite chilly (getting down near freezing) at night and early morning on some days.

I'm hoping to go back to the VdlP in early March 2017. I am interested in what synthetic bags you have that weigh 980 g and 600 g. I have found it hard to find non-mummy bags under 1 kg. I have used the Cooper R-7 and T-100 on this Hotcore website. I think I'll take the rectangular lighter one (R-7 at 950 g) next time, but I would expect to be layering up with clothes if necessary and maybe also being chilly on a few nights.

From my limited knowledge, I think the 32-km stretch from Casar de Caceres to Canaveral was the key stretch with no accommodation in March. You could use a taxi to get started there.

JabbaPapa - Do you have a brand to recommend?
For sleeping outdoors, yeah, you would need a sleeping bag system that is both lightweight and provides enough insulation to keep you warm on very cold nights. The military does make such systems, but for walking the Camino and staying in albergues, it's not necessary.
Marmot and REI both make good bags rated around 40-55F that are lightweight, pack small and and reasonably priced. If you want to add some versatility to that system, bring a lightweight liner, too.
That should cover all your bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
In early March 2016 I walked a few stages between Merida and Salamanca (before switching to the Frances for various reasons). It was quite chilly (getting down near freezing) at night and early morning on some days.

I'm hoping to go back to the VdlP in early March 2017. I am interested in what synthetic bags you have that weigh 980 g and 600 g. I have found it hard to find non-mummy bags under 1 kg. I have used the Cooper R-7 and T-100 on this Hotcore website. I think I'll take the rectangular lighter one (R-7 at 950 g) next time, but I would expect to be layering up with clothes if necessary and maybe also being chilly on a few nights.

From my limited knowledge, I think the 32-km stretch from Casar de Caceres to Canaveral was the key stretch with no accommodation in March. You could use a taxi to get started there.

@C clearly
I bought both these sleeping bags at Amosphere in Calgary. The lighter bag is a mummy bag. The 980 g. bag is a McKinley Space Light bag, women's sizing, not a mummy bag, and is quite cozy. While McKinley still sells the Space Light model name online and it looks somewhat similar, the description is inadequate and it does not specify either the weight of the bag or that it is designed for women. You might go into a store in your locality for a look at the current model. I gather from what you have said that a warmer bag would be preferable for the VdlP in winter. I shall make sure to have warm underclothes to wear under the outer layer in really cold days and for nightwear.
I think I could manage a 32 km day if the walking surface were good and the weather not too foul. I don't know for sure when I shall be going, but as soon as I can fit it into an increasingly busy life. Thanks for information.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
hello all, we are hoping to walk the VdlP starting the end on March 2017. We carried sleeping bags on the Frances and found they were seldom needed. Would you recommend taking a sleeping bag on the VdlP?

Thank you

Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino. Some people consider that it is necessary to suffer whilst on a pilgrimage.

So ... You don't need a sleeping bag. You won't die for lack of it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For sleeping outdoors, yeah, you would need a sleeping bag system that is both lightweight and provides enough insulation to keep you warm on very cold nights. The military does make such systems, but for walking the Camino and staying in albergues, it's not necessary.
Marmot and REI both make good bags rated around 40-55C that are lightweight, pack small and and reasonably priced. If you want to add some versatility to that system, bring a lightweight liner, too.
That should cover all your bases.

I don't have a brand to recommend -- the French Army one I had was a defunct model I've never been able to replace. :mad: (I've got something similar, but it's heavier than what most would prefer, but then I sleep outdoors more than most too)

For colder weather with a risk of sleeping outdoors or in cold refugios I'd anyway recommend a sports sleeping bag for most people, not military. Sports ones are better than military in those conditions for hikers on the Camino, because the cold-weather military equivalent is simply too heavy.

The great thing about the ultra-light military ones though, in normal Spring to Autumn conditions is that they're specifically designed to be easy to pack and lightweight, and you get combined use from them as a bed cover, blanket, an airy sleeping bag for warmer nights unzipped, and a snug sleeping bag for cooler ones zipped tight, because they are also specifically designed for unpredictable, variable ground conditions.

---

But yeah, for a Summer Camino on the Francès the only real problem with finding a bed unless you're very impoverished is the risk of crowds so large that no beds are available -- which has been happening occasionally since the last Santiago Holy Year. So some sort of bag can be advisable, but for most non-impoverished people the absolute ultra-lightest one you can find. But if you avoid certain very specific periods -- ie just before the Feast Day, or bang in mid-August, or bang during "the crowd-avoiding September crowd" :rolleyes:, yes it's perfectly feasible to go without a sleeping bag entirely -- although not having one does actually curtail your freedom on the Camino to some degree.

---

But given the OP's project of an off season March Camino on a secondary Way, I'd definitely recommend a sleeping bag as being necessary, not superfluous.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just arrived from VdlP/Sanabres. A sleepingbag is absolutely needed. There are quite a lot of alberques without any plankets. We were without our own and had to buy own plankets in Ourense. Another notice: there are some alberques with a new kitchen, but not a single pot for cooking.

Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino. Some people consider that it is necessary to suffer whilst on a pilgrimage.

So ... You don't need a sleeping bag. You won't die for lack of it.
I've done the CF from SJPdP-SDC four times without ever carrying a sleeping bag. These are warmer weather CF's between June and September.
I do own a North Face Aleutian sleeping bag that packs small and weighs under two pounds. It's a great bag, but every time I've packed for a Camino, I look at the bag and end up deciding not to bring it. I think for a March-early May CF, it would be useful.
On one I did bring a small fleece blanket, but left it on a donativo table about a week into the walk.
On my most recent one I brought a lightweight poly bag liner that packs down to about the size of a can of soda. That was absolutely perfect for that trip. It reflected back a lot of body heat, and was very comfortable to sleep in and having at least that liner with me eliminated any concern I would have on whether or not the albergue I was going to stay in had blankets. In the future I will always bring that liner.
Otherwise, no need for a bag, at least for me. The weather and albergues was just plain too warm to need a sleeping bag, or I just used blankets available at the albergue.
Out of all those nights in albergues I think there was about 5-6 times that I got cold, and did wish I had a sleeping bag, but that's 5-6 nights out of about 120. Not a bad batting average in my book. :cool:
and it's true, I saw nobody die in an albergue for want of a sleeping bag.....no discoveries of dead, hypothermic peregrinos lying on top of bare bunks in the morning ha ha :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed an Aegis max E (Envelope style), sleeping bag. 800FP 95% White Goose Down, 500g with 300g fill, Grey 200 x 80cm, totally unzips flat and can double as a bed throw. Cost me about $60 US, a Chinese product i think, I bought mine from Aliexpress. I got the longer variant (L), and I'll take along a liner and feel that this light small bag will be all i need. I can't do mummy bags. Plenty of info on it via google search, I thought i originally got the insight on this forum a few months back, but can't find the link.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you
Everyone will have had different experiences, different weather and have different preferences, and of course you will have to decide what's best for you. I carried a light sleeping bag and a silk liner the first three times I walked and never used the sleeping bag. Most albergues usually had a blanket when I needed one, and this was the case on the Plata as well. This year I took just the liner and it was just fine with the occasional blanket to the end of October. You will be starting well south where it should be warm in April and it will continue to warm as you travel north, but of course the weather every year is different. If you plan to carry a sleeping bag and walk all the way to Santiago you could always mail it onwards to Santiago and claim it when you arrive if the sleeping bag isn't getting used, but I suspect you won't need it. And you will love the Plata!! Beautiful and a very soulful journey. Still my favourite:)

Last edited:
where it should be warm in April
Granted, it should be warm in April, but in the two times I've walked the VdlP in March and April, I've followed the snow and the cold weather north. Case in point - on April 28th, 2013 it was zero degrees with a 25 mph wind in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. The next day in San Pedro de Rozados we walked out into a morning blizzard. Further example - for some reason Fuenterroble de Salvatierra seems to be always cold in April. The dorm has no central heating and someone has to keep stoking the wood burning stove throughout the night to keep the room temperature from dropping below 50 degrees. If someone forgets to stoke the fire (which they often do), the room becomes a refrigerator. Yes, the albergue provides blankets, but in no way will a blanket and liner be adequate in those conditions. That's why I always carry a light sleeping bag and a liner.

Yup, bsewall is correct. It can be cold on this route and wet in April. It can also be nice and warm. My pal also walked in 2013 when it was really cold and they experienced snow outside Salamanca. I walked in 2014 at exactly the same time as my friend and I experienced hot weather almost the entire way north with only a couple of cooler days (18-20) plus 2 hours of rain. He was amazed when he looked at my photos. I never used my sleeping bag. This is why I commented above that the weather can be different every year, that each person has to decide what is best for them while preparing and to consider the option of taking a sleeping bag and mailing it to Santiago if they don't need it. Every camino has these variations, but in April if departing from Seville the historical average daily temperature is 22-24C, albeit it will of course be cooler at night. I usually look at weather averages to help me decide the gear to take. From what I saw while undertaking this exercise in 2014, it appeared that 2013 was an unusual year. Check it out if you wish. It might help you to decide. https://weatherspark.com/averages/32062/4/Sevilla-Andalucia-Spain. There are many other sites available to find much more detailed historical weather data. What ever you decide, have fun planning and enjoy your camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I posted this on another tread today and I thought I'd post it here as I think the quilt is a very good solution to your question.

I just finished the Camino Via de La Plata starting in September and finishing November and had both warm (100f/38c) and cold (32f/0c) temperatures, and used the Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt. I also used it this year, May to June, on the Camino Francis where the temperatures were fairly similar but not quit as extreme. I stayed in several alberques on the Plata that were not heated and it got very cold at night. I also found some of the casa rurals, and even some hotels, that did not turn on their heaters, so a warm bag is good to have.

The Backcountry Quilt is a down quilt with a great foot pocket, hand pockets, and also a built-in hood for very cold weather. This allows you to regulate how cold or warm you want to sleep. I have used it back home for backpacking in both the hot desert and below freezing in the mountains. It only weighs 1.5 pounds (.680 kilograms).

I also brought a silk sleeping bag liner that weighs 6oz (.149 kilograms). That is less than 2 pounds (.90 kilograms) for both. I like to use the liner under the quilt if I just lay the quilt on top of me, or by itself if it is warm because you never know about the cleanness of the mattresses.

The Backcountry Quilt is high quality and a little pricy piece of equipment, but you can always use it other places like laying on the couch or sitting around a fire.

where https://sierradesigns.com/backcountry-quilt-800-30-degree/?revpage=2#reviews

Ted

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back