• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bags

bearwithme

Time of past OR future Camino
October, 2014
September, "2017"
I plan to walk the Camino Frances beginning September 27 from SJPdP and wonder if I will need a sleeping bag at all, or just a silk liner? I plan to give myself until November 5 returning home on November 6. Thanks for your feedback.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked for 27 days this year, beginning on 21st September. Quite a few albergues had no blankets. While I found most dorms were far too hot and stuffy overnight a few were definitely chilly even in a 3-season sleeping bag. At home I sleep in an unheated bedroom all year round. Even so I was glad to have both a silk liner and a sleeping bag with me so I could sleep fairly comfortably in the wide range of overnight temperatures.

I walked from late August through September this year and did need something warmer than just my silk liner for several nights. I brought and can recommend this very lightweight (7 ounce/197 gm) down throw blanket from Montbell. It was the perfect size to tuck inside the silk liner and give me the extra warmth that I needed. On hot nights it was nice to have under me between the silk liner and the rubber coated mattresses.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino. Some would even suggest that suffering is a necessary part of a pilgrimage. So no, you don't need a sleeping bag; you won't die if you don't have one.

As a practical test ... find a room with temperature about 40 F or 5 C and sleep there using whatever you plan to bring. Don't eat supper prior to going to bed.

Loved the compact, lightweight Sea to Summit Traveller Tr I.
See attachment and link below.

I echo this sentiment. Walked from this past Sept 23rd to October 20th on Camino Frances between Roncesvalles and Sahagun. This is all the bag I used or needed

I walked from the end of September through the whole October of 2015. Light - summer/indoor, ~10C - sleeping bag with zipper was very good choice.
My thermal comfort varied depending on a day (temperature, precipitation, distance, consecutive long days, cold etc) so bag worked from only partly covering quilt to the fully closed sleeping bag.

We walked CF this year from 11 Sept - 17 October. It was unseasonably hot for the first couple of weeks and silk liner was ample. Was happy to have my Sea to Summit TR 1 (thanks to forum recommendations) for the last couple of weeks - even though often just opened as a blanket. We ended up staying in a lot of non-municipal Albergues and various types of hostals which often had a bottom sheet, pillowcase and blanket anyway but the TR1 was so small, I don't regret taking it. I do wonder whether the liner and a compact blanket might have been better though. Maybe next time :)

What about any women who walked Sept/Oct who were menopausal? Was a silk liner adequate for you? I know that I tend to run hotter than most at the moment, so trying to determine if a silk liner is enough?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked for 27 days this year, beginning on 21st September. Quite a few albergues had no blankets. While I found most dorms were far too hot and stuffy overnight a few were definitely chilly even in a 3-season sleeping bag. At home I sleep in an unheated bedroom all year round. Even so I was glad to have both a silk liner and a sleeping bag with me so I could sleep fairly comfortably in the wide range of overnight temperatures.
Thanks for the advice!

I walked from late August through September this year and did need something warmer than just my silk liner for several nights. I brought and can recommend this very lightweight (7 ounce/197 gm) down throw blanket. It was the perfect size to tuck inside the silk liner and give me the extra warmth that I needed. On hot nights it was nice to have under me between the silk liner and the rubber coated mattresses.
Can you provide a name and/or a link that I can investigate? This seems to be ideal for me as I do not need a lot to stay warm.

I walked from late August through September this year and did need something warmer than just my silk liner for several nights. I brought and can recommend this very lightweight (7 ounce/197 gm) down throw blanket. It was the perfect size to tuck inside the silk liner and give me the extra warmth that I needed. On hot nights it was nice to have under me between the silk liner and the rubber coated mattresses.
Trecile, I would love to know about the throw blanket as well as I probably will only take silk sack also. Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino. Some would even suggest that suffering is a necessary part of a pilgrimage. So no, you don't need a sleeping bag; you won't die if you don't have one.

As a practical test ... find a room with temperature about 40 F or 5 C and sleep there using whatever you plan to bring. Don't eat supper prior to going to bed.
Should just move into my 'frig and see how I sleep. :)

Can you provide a name and/or a link that I can investigate? This seems to be ideal for me as I do not need a lot to stay warm.
Sorry about that. I meant to put the link in my post. I have edited it now, but this is the blanket from Montbell.
I am going to try something a little different for my next Camino. I have purchased one of the the lightweight down throws from Costco, which are quite a bit larger than my little blanket. I am going to cut one down to about the width of a twin bed, then sew silk onto the other side, with a zipper down one side. That way I can sleep with the silk on top on hot nights and the down on top on cold nights.

Thanks Trecile, it doesn't ship to Australia but I am getting my friend to collect me one as she lives in Annapolis and is meeting me in Leon. :) Happy camper now lol.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What about any women who walked Sept/Oct who were menopausal? Was a silk liner adequate for you? I know that I tend to run hotter than most at the moment, so trying to determine if a silk liner is enough?
That's me Tina-Marie - and one of the main reasons I used my sleeping bag as a blanket rather than getting in it - so I could do the leg in/leg out menopause dance through the night :). It was actually a bit slippery which is why I think a silk liner and a throw blanket might do the trick.

That's me Tina-Marie - and one of the main reasons I used my sleeping bag as a blanket rather than getting in it - so I could do the leg in/leg out menopause dance through the night :). It was actually a bit slippery which is why I think a silk liner and a throw blanket might do the trick.
Haha MargLav, loving your descriptions of the night time routine - my husband always says it's like I am doing the hokey pokey all night (you put your left leg in - you put your left leg out....) haha. Yes I have decided on the silk liner and have organised a friend who will meet me in Leon to bring the above mentioned puff blanket which amazingly only weighs 197g - super stoked about that one :D I have managed to get my pack down now to 5.5kgs which I am happy about but if I am totally honest removing some of my beauty/hygenic products will lessen the load more :oops: just hard to not want to take lots of sunscreen, moisturiser and nice smelly stuff when you know that they give you a bit of a mental boost when you are tired, hurting and just plain old missing home lol. :rolleyes:

Every year is different. In late September it could be cold. I wouldn't go without a sleeping bag, myself.
Many albergues no longer give out blankets.

Every year is different. In late September it could be cold. I wouldn't go without a sleeping bag, myself.
Many albergues no longer give out blankets.
Anniesantiago, I have allocated emergency money in my budget for such contingencies - if I find that I am just too cold, I will post my silk sack and blanket back home and just purchase a sleeping bag ;) I can honestly say that I did not sleep with anything other than a cotton sheet all winter here (much to my husbands amusement).

Haha MargLav, loving your descriptions of the night time routine - my husband always says it's like I am doing the hokey pokey all night (you put your left leg in - you put your left leg out....) haha. Yes I have decided on the silk liner and have organised a friend who will meet me in Leon to bring the above mentioned puff blanket which amazingly only weighs 197g - super stoked about that one :D I have managed to get my pack down now to 5.5kgs which I am happy about but if I am totally honest removing some of my beauty/hygenic products will lessen the load more :oops: just hard to not want to take lots of sunscreen, moisturiser and nice smelly stuff when you know that they give you a bit of a mental boost when you are tired, hurting and just plain old missing home lol. :rolleyes:
I'd keep the girlie stuff. You will definitely need sunscreen, but can replenish that in Spain. I ended up also purchasing some moisturizer, and one day bought a small bottle of nail polish and painted my toes. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
About to issue a long post Tina-Marie :) You will be very happy with that pack weight - good on you!! Hubby & I took a 200ml sunscreen (Neutrogena Beach Defence - smells great) and both used it every day and had plenty left (he carried it). You are in the sun for a long time each day! I regretted taking super small tubes of some toiletries. I should have taken a full size facial scrub i.e. 75ml tube (which I liked because it took off the day's grime and sunscreen). I had a small bottle of shampoo but took advantage of hostels now and then that provided shampoo/body wash, small tube of eye cream and a small tube of cancer council tinted facial sunscreen which was really effective as a foundation type look and a speed stick deodorant lasted the whole trip. I regretted my super small bottle of body lotion (just vaseline intensive care) - I had to be so scabby with its application and really missed it. Would take a bigger bottle next time. I am a makeup person - eyeliner, mascara, lightener for dark eye circles and lipgloss as a minimum. I did NOT use the makeup (except lipgloss - because I hate dry lips) - seriously no time to put it on in the morning anyway as you pack your stuff and get out the door (but then it took up very little room anyway - wouldn't take it next time). I had one of those tiny roll-on oil perfumes which I loved - felt human after a shower. About to talk about girly stuff - I think super slim panty liners are a great idea (to catch the drips - sorry it's a real issue as you do the bush duck several times a day - depending on how honest you are about leaving toilet paper lying around versus taking it with you when you're finished!). I'm excited for you!!

I'd keep the girlie stuff. You will definitely need sunscreen, but can replenish that in Spain. I ended up also purchasing some moisturizer, and one day bought a small bottle of nail polish and painted my toes. :)
Couldn't agree more Trecile! You still like to feel human - I have a favourite trusted sunscreen so took enough to last - really missed my ability to be generous with moisturiser - would take more next time!

I walked in September and October of 2015. I brought the North Face Lynx sleeping bag and was glad that I did. Sleeping in a new place every night, it was nice to climb into a familiar friend of a sleeping bag every night. Even when the alburgue had blankets, I used my sleeping bag. I've tried the silk liners and have found them too easy to get tangled up in. I never got overheated in my sleeping bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

LOL! In that case, nothing that zippers you in. No mummy bags or contoured bags!

Sorry about that. I meant to put the link in my post. I have edited it now, but this is the blanket from Montbell.
I am going to try something a little different for my next Camino. I have purchased one of the the lightweight down throws from Costco, which are quite a bit larger than my little blanket. I am going to cut one down to about the width of a twin bed, then sew silk onto the other side, with a zipper down one side. That way I can sleep with the silk on top on hot nights and the down on top on cold nights.
Last Spring I used a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag that was "dual temp", and very lightweight and packable.

Mountain Hardwear Down Flip 35/50.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd say bring one, but a light one -- you'll get more use out of it if it's also usable as an extra blanket.

The OP is starting September 27 (great day, some people were born on it) so that really means walking in October into November. A great time of year, but it can get cold, especially at the end of October. The Way was filmed about that time, and they nearly always had on their jackets and it wasn't for show. I'd be taking something more than a silk liner and anyway I dislike the coffin feeling of liners and sleeping bags. My current joy is a JacksrBetter Shenandoah quilt, which is a good compromise between warmth, price and weight. Here it is.

Oh, and here's an old post with a helpful list of sleeping bags, weights, warmth etc, complied by our member @Rajy62 . Possibly out of date now, but still a good start:

Here is a comparison of the ones suggested, under 1kg:

------- Model --------- Weight ---- Style ---- Comfort --Fill -------- Size ------------ Price usd$$
1. Down blanket ----- 196g ------ quilt ------- 13c?? --- 650 ---- 60 x 40in --$ 72, Discont'd
2. Magic 125 zip ----- 285g ------ bag/quilt --- 13c --- 850 ------ std --------$175, Cumulus
3. Yeti passion ------- 320g ------ bag/quilt --- 15c ---- 850 ------ std -------$350, outdoorfair
4. Zpacks 900 ------- 323g ------- bag/quilt ---- 5c ---- 900 ------ std ------$350, zpacks
5. Multi blanket ----- 340g ------ quilt ------- 13c?? --- 800 ---- 78 x 45in --$189, Monbell
6. Spark spl ---------- 348g ------- bag --------- 12c ---- 850 -------std ------$299, submithut
7. Traveller TR1 ----- 389g ------- bag/quilt -- 14c ---- 750 ------- std ------- $220, Lacordee
8. Western everlite -- 400g ------- bag -------- 7c ----- xxx --------std ------- $295, Backcountry
9. Shenandoah ------ 430g ------- quilt -------- 7c ----- 800 -------std ------- $180, jacksrbetter
10. Down Hugger ----- 461g ------- bag --------- 8c -----900 ------- std ------- $420, montbell
11. Atlus superlight -- 600g ------- bag -------- 14c ---- synthetic -- std ------ $ 60, ferrovicmar
12. Baikal 750 -------- 613g -------- bag -------- 9c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $ xx, millet
13.Flicker nano quilt - 624g ------- quilt ------ 4.5c ---- 850 ------- std ------ $229 fetheredfriends
14. Traveller 50 ------- 650g ------- bag ------- 11c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $50, Mt warehouse
15. Quechua ---------- 700g ------- bag -------- 15c --- synthetic ---std ------$ 80, decathelon
16. EMS Boreal 40 --- 805g ------- bag -------- 4.5c --- synthetic ---std ------$160, ems
17. Cooper-7 ---------- 950g ------- Rectangle -- 7c ---- synthetic ---std ----- $ 70, hotcore

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The OP is starting September 27 (great day, some people were born on it) so that really means walking in October into November. A great time of year, but it can get cold, especially at the end of October. The Way was filmed about that time, and they nearly always had on their jackets and it wasn't for show. I'd be taking something more than a silk liner and anyway I dislike the coffin feeling of liners and sleeping bags. My current joy is a JacksrBetter Shenandoah quilt, which is a good compromise between warmth, price and weight. Here it is.

hmmm, I'd advise planning for rain rather than cold for the end of October in Galicia, footgear appropriate for hiking in rain & heavy rain, sturdy wide-brimmed hat, whatever's needed to keep the stuff in your pack dry, and whatever sleeping bag arrangement that will keep it as something snug and dry to curl up into and warm up in while sleeping, but light enough to be not too much of a bother if you luck out and the weather's dry, as well as for the long haul through Castille and Léon.

As for "cold" well -- that is at least in part a variable sensation from variable metabolisms and body mass, particularly at that time of year.

To the OP if you're slim and/or have a fast metabolism, pack the woollies !! A bit chubbier and with a slow metabolism, the temperatures in even late October should rarely bother you too badly.

I walked in September and October of 2015. I brought the North Face Lynx sleeping bag and was glad that I did. Sleeping in a new place every night, it was nice to climb into a familiar friend of a sleeping bag every night. Even when the alburgue had blankets, I used my sleeping bag. I've tried the silk liners and have found them too easy to get tangled up in. I never got overheated in my sleeping bag.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try several options and decide on one. Hopefully I will not run into an early arctic winter

Hello & buen camino
I rode the camino frances this past sept from SJPDP to Santiago.
I didn't need a sleeping bag but could see where a sink linker would be both light in weight and a good item to pack
via condios
happy festivus

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.