• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags

Angus137

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello - I am leaving SJPP in mid March and am unsure whether to take a sleeping bag - I have a silk liner and expect that I can just use the hostel's blankets saving quite a bit of room in my rucksack. I would welcome your advice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can probably do just fine in March with a silk liner and the use of the blankets at albergues. Probably. That's because not every albergue provides blankets. I believe most I stayed in did (especially the private ones), but certainly not all. So it's a bit of a gamble in March, and may lead to some cold nights in a bunk. I would say from June-September, a liner is enough. I know, because that's all I've ever carried during those months.
How cold a sleeper are you? Some people sleep cold. Even in July or August I'd see pilgrims with heavy sleeping bags in the albergues, and dressing for sleep like they about to embark on a polar expedition. At the same time I would be sleeping in just the liner and sometimes on top of the liner.
Mind you, if you stay in private accommodations such as hostels, hotels and pensiones, blankets are provided. At least all the ones I ever stayed in did.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you - I am sure that I will be able to fit it in but am just keen to be as light as possible Angus

I can't speak to CF in March (we've walked in July and Sept-Oct, when liners were enough), but on a CP last October we took backpacker quilts (like sleeping bags with no bottom (because you compress the insulation laying on it anyway) and no hood). On chilly nights we were glad we had them, and they are very light (my wife's was about 8oz, mine was about 12oz). Look at the 50 degree ones from Enlightened Equipment (what we used). Other possible sources are Hammock Gear and Zpacks. Buen Camino.

There is a common philosophy with regard to sleeping bags. In relation to use on the Camino, I can advise from experience that you can be walking thru 35 C deg during the day and freezing in a bunk in the evening.

I am a naturally warm sleeper but do appreciate enough bedding to ensure comfort, not perspiring.

In albergues, yes, most do provide a blanket but in March, a single blanket may not be enough. If it is of any help, here is what I do. I own an MSS (Military Sleep System) consisting of a light bag (Green), a medium bag (Black), and a Goretex Bivy (Camo). All weigh 10 lb, but I am not a soldier, LOL, and will not carry all that unless I am using a toboggan or cart. But for March, indoors, the medium bag (Black), is sufficient and can squish it in your pack last before closing, rather than rolling it up. They can be acquired on eBay anytime, one at a time or in a complete system, as needed.

Also, some have mentioned thise who sleep in their clothes. It makes sense as this provides an extra layer to help keep you warm. It also saves time in getting on the road first thing. Also, it minimizes noise when other Pilgrims are still sleeping.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, wise decision to pack the sleeping bag. I am another vote for carrying a lightweight sleeping bag or quilt. Not all albergues either have blankets or enough blankets to go round all bunks. Roncesvalles is an early and classic example. High elevation, no blankets and the heating gets turned off at night. When I stayed there last year on 3 April there was still snow on the ground. Also at that time of year there are still really cold snaps all along the CF. I often used my own lightweight sleeping bag plus the blanket especially in albergues that had no heating at all and had gone through a long cold winter. Trust me the cold just seeps out of the stone walls once the sun goes down.

Last edited:
Yes! I would definitely take a sleeping bag on the CF in March. Temperatures can be very changeable along the route and some albergues do not have blankets. In May 2014 I ran into snow and freezing temperatures crossing into Galicia. This was after 30+ degree C temperatures on the Meseta between Burgos and León. I was very thankful to have my sleeping bag with me even though I didn't need it every night. This picture was taken on May 23, 2014. I would expect even colder and more frequent cold temperature snaps in March along the way.P1040885.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked in march when it has been snowing and stayed in albergues with no heating which equates to a large freezer, going light costs more but look at cumulus sleeping bags, the majic light zip sleeping which i have is incredible valve weighing 270g. ps dont bank on blankets being available.

I walked in March/ April, and was happy to have a sleeping bag. There were a few nights when there were pilgrims who did not have a sleeping bag and were cold. I also ended up joining some campers for a few nights in France, and I was very glad to have a warm bag then. There were a few nights where a we did not need them... but better safe than sorry. The quilt above is intriguing-- and it weighs pretty much nothing.. but I love my sleeping bag and think I'd be cold with out the hood on my sleeping bag. I have three down sleeping bags-- I bring a North Face blue kazoo with me on the camino. It's warm enough and fairly light at 657g.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.