• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bags??

Val&Tom

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,
My wife & I are preparing & planning to do the Camino Frances next May/June 2019. We've given ourselves 7weeks to complete our Pilgrimage which will include rest days, (we're old people!!) The great Sleeping Bag debate has surfaced in our house. Do we take a bulky 2/3 season sleeping bag, or opt for the lighter side and take sheet sleeping bags. We know that the weather cannot be guaranteed and we understand that hostels in the higher regions supply blankets, but we're not sure if they do in the middle bit.
Also, my wife, has neck problems and would like to know if the hostels provide pillows.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind Regards,
Tom & Val

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did CF last Sept/Oct and took a 45 degree down bag. No regrets. In fact, when my fiancée & I do it next fall I will carry the same and get one for her.

In May/June/July I used an army poncho liner folded and pinned into a sleeping bag. My husband used only a Sea to Summit bag liner. If you sleep cold, you may want a heavier bag, but I was comfortable with my choice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pillows are available...
I used a +7C sleeping bag supplemented with a liner. Together weighed .3kg. If I got cold i sleep in my Marino wool sweater
Honestly it depends n personal choice on if you need something warmer...if the bag is too heavey i think you will regret bringing it. I knew people who mailed their heavy sleeping bags home after a couple days on

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The bag decision is always a problematic one - weight and bulk versus comfort as we never know what the weather will actually be like.
Most superlight summer bags are only good down to about 12-15C. - this is the best one that I have found, the Snugpak jungle bag... less than 900gms (mine is 878gms), opens out fully into a quilt, has a built in mosquito net so this can be closed to keep out bedbugs, and, strangely cheap too, under £45. Comfort is 7C and low is 2C. Choice of left or right hand long zip. Have used them for years and quality is superb.
Snugpak make items for our military and copy them out for civilian use - if you choose, go for the military olive green one. Comes with a compression sack and scrunches down small!

See here - https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/jungle-bag

jungle_bag_packsize_all_1.jpg

I did CF last Sept/Oct and took a 45 degree down bag. No regrets. In fact, when my fiancée & I do it next fall I will carry the same and get one for her.
I'm guessing you still use degrees Fahrenheit in the US? :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi All,
My wife & I are preparing & planning to do the Camino Frances next May/June 2019. We've given ourselves 7weeks to complete our Pilgrimage which will include rest days, (we're old people!!) The great Sleeping Bag debate has surfaced in our house. Do we take a bulky 2/3 season sleeping bag, or opt for the lighter side and take sheet sleeping bags. We know that the weather cannot be guaranteed and we understand that hostels in the higher regions supply blankets, but we're not sure if they do in the middle bit.
Also, my wife, has neck problems and would like to know if the hostels provide pillows.
Kind Regards,
Tom & Val
I did the CI this May/June and was never cold but tend to sleep warm anyways. Having said that are you having your bags transported? If so you don't have to worry about bulk/weight so take what you will - you can always unzip! But do, as @donalomahony says, bring pillow cases.

Snugpak jungle bag, in old money, is 45F comfort and 35.6F low (for you colonists) :)
Or, for those not as advanced in their ways as the Canadians, just remember

"0 is cold
10 is not
20 is warm
30 is hot"

(I admit I had to look up colonist to make sure it meant what I thought it meant and not some sort of amateur proctologist)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Val&Tom re the pillow question, Spanish pillows are long and narrow, quite a different shape to what you probably have at home. If bringing pillow cases be prepared for the pillow to stick out the end somewhat! Or use something that wraps around. Also the Spanish pillows tend to be quite thin (ie flat), so if Val has neck issues and needs a bit of a thicker pillow she may want to consider bringing an inflatable one. Or do what I do and keep a down jacket bundled up in a pillow case! Weighs next to nothing, packs down to a tiny bundle, makes a great extra pillow.

Buen Camino

I walked in early Spring and in early Fall. I used a down sleeping bag that takes me down to 20F (-7C)-- it weighs about 40 oz (1140g). But I like to be warm while sleeping-- and I like the flexibility it gave me. On my last walk on the Via Podendis, carrying as sleeping bag allowed me to meet up with some friends who were camping, and there were some places along the Frances in 2015 that did not have blankets. (And some did not have blankets I cared to use.) I have been eyeing one of those new lighter weight sleeping bag for women (meaning they are shorter), that are about 8 oz lighter than mine. -- But, I noticed in one post, that you are having your gear carried. First, unless there is a medical reason, I urge you to consider carrying your own gear. Carrying your stuff was a huge part of my pilgrimage.

Hi, thank you to everyone who replied to our question. We’ve opted for the Snugpac jungle bag with mosquito net over the face. It only weighs 900 grms (ish) and under £35.00. As we’re carrying our own kit and had always intended to, we’ve got our kit down to just under 20lbs. Our flights are booked and we’re looking at accommodation for the first few days, albeit a bit early to book yet. We’ll wing it as we grow and as we begin to understand how it all works.
I gotta confess, we are both very excited. It’s like winning the Willy Wonker Golden Ticket

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All,
Kind Regards,
Tom & Val
1000 ideas and more experiences. Very few public albergues have cooking gear or blankets. There are many light weight options(worth the expense) sleep is important. Having just been a Hospitalero in Galicia I’m including a photo of a pilgrim that bought a sleeping bag in route.FC279952-C50C-4FBB-9F4E-01D28ACEFC00.jpeg

Since you asked, here's my recommendation: Take a 500g down sleeping bag if you enjoy sleeping warm and cozy. I walked the CF in July 2001 with a fleece sleeping bag liner and awoke shivering on several occasions. Even if blankets were available in every albergue (they are not), how often do you think they wash them? The inexpensive AEGISMAX 800-fill down bag on Amazon has gotten good reviews. Sleep warm!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1000 ideas and more experiences. Very few public albergues have cooking gear or blankets. There are many light weight options(worth the expense) sleep is important. Having just been a Hospitalero in Galicia I’m including a photo of a pilgrim that bought a sleeping bag in route.View attachment 47653
I like the intricate knotting he's used to lash it to his pack - no way is he going to lose that puppy along the way!

Hi All,
Kind Regards,
Tom & Val
See you both hopefully along the way as i will be also walking late April to early June. I have after much deliberation decided on taking a ultra light but warm sleeping bag with a silk liner as i need my sleep. I would rather be warm than be cold thats for sure!

Hi, thank you to everyone who replied to our question. We’ve opted for the Snugpac jungle bag with mosquito net over the face. It only weighs 900 grms (ish) and under £35.00. As we’re carrying our own kit and had always intended to, we’ve got our kit down to just under 20lbs. Our flights are booked and we’re looking at accommodation for the first few days, albeit a bit early to book yet. We’ll wing it as we grow and as we begin to understand how it all works.
I gotta confess, we are both very excited. It’s like winning the Willy Wonker Golden Ticket
Hi, just wondering how you got on with the Snugpac Junble Bag and if you used it. I am hoping (being VERY optimistic) to do the Camino in Sept/Oct 2021.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum, @Kat Aus . You are replying to a thread from 2018. Many things have changed since then. I have walked various camino routes in the autumn, Oct/Nov., four times. There will be things that you need to consider for a fall camino in 2021. There is unlikely to be any bedding available in the albergues, except for disposable paper sheets, and possibly also paper pillow cases, in some places. What you bring for bedding will need to depend on the temperatures you expect. It may be quite chilly in October, and heating is often turned on quite late in the fall in the albergues. I would suggest taking a light-weight sleeping bag, paired with some warm clothes that you can wear on chilly evenings, and to bed, if needed. Keep the idea of layering in your mind when choosing clothing and gear. 2021 is a Holy Year, so may have many more pilgrims than usual. I am hoping that all the pandemic precautions may no longer be necessary by then, but there is no knowing at present, and albergue dormitories are now under many special hygiene restrictions. I can't give a specific brand recommendation for a sleeping bag. But remember that the camino is not a backcountry hike. You may pick up a warm shirt or socks to supplement your sleeping bag at many towns along the way.

Hi, just wondering how you got on with the Snugpac Junble Bag and if you used it. I am hoping (being VERY optimistic) to do the Camino in Sept/Oct 2021.
Hi, about sleeping bags. The bags we opted for were ideal for our needs. They were light, plenty warm enough, bearing in mind we stayed in an Albergue every night so none of your out door camping stuff!!
We both wish you all the best for your Camino when you get there. It’s a most wonderful experience and one that will never be forgotten. Our o my advice is, do t do too much in a day. It’s not a race. It’s your time to shine, as they say. Do less each day and get more out of your Camino.
Good luck.

Thank you for your response. We will be staying at Albergues every night but would like to take a sleeping bag - you never know. Thank you for the advice and your best wishes. Ciao

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I haven’t brought a sleeping bag on my three previous caminos but I probably will for next month’s CP because of the albergue bedding situation due to the virus. I am thinking about getting this one from Decathlon. It weighs 680g (1.5 pounds) with a 4.5-litre capacity.

I haven’t brought a sleeping bag on my three previous caminos but I probably will for next month’s CP because of the albergue bedding situation due to the virus. I am thinking about getting this one from Decathlon. It weighs 680g (1.5 pounds) with a 4.5-litre capacity.
Had a look at your link and one thing popped out quickly. This mummy bag is rated for 15 - 25C and has a hood... This seems pretty odd to me. If the weather is actually 15 - 25C I'm not sure anyone would enjoy also having their head covered and feet confined. Seems this would become a portable sweat lodge! Just a suggestion but for that temperature range, it may be worthwhile to search for one that is rectangular and can fully unzip to create just a quilt over you when the temps are that high. It can still be zipped up if one were chilly but usually at 25C people are trying to find ways to cool off, not heat up 🥵. I've seen members herein use light down quilts from Costco. Not sure if they exist where you do but maybe something comparable like THIS, also from Costco which would likely weight less than 1 lbs or 0.45 kg. Good luck!.

Had a look at your link and one thing popped out quickly. This mummy bag is rated for 15 - 25C and has a hood... This seems pretty odd to me. If the weather is actually 15 - 25C I'm not sure anyone would enjoy also having their head covered and feet confined. Seems this would become a portable sweat lodge! Just a suggestion but for that temperature range, it may be worthwhile to search for one that is rectangular and can fully unzip to create just a quilt over you when the temps are that high. It can still be zipped up if one were chilly but usually at 25C people are trying to find ways to cool off, not heat up 🥵. I've seen members herein use light down quilts from Costco. Not sure if they exist where you do but maybe something comparable like THIS, also from Costco which would likely weight less than 1 lbs or 0.45 kg. Good luck!.

Thanks for these insights. I have some of the same concerns, especially over the mummy style (as I prefer sleeping with my legs apart). Re: temperatures, I don't expect 25 degrees C at night, as the overnight lows in Lisbon over the next 10 days are between 16-18 degrees and by the time I get to northern Portugal / Galicia it will be late September / early October and presumably a fair bit cooler than that. I'm not thrilled to have to carry a sleeping bag in the first place, so I just want something that compresses into as small a package as possible and is not made with down or silk. That's why I was thinking of this one, as it was the lightest/smallest of the range. But I'm open to other options that can ship to Portugal within 2.5 weeks!

Edit: the Ultralight Lixada Sleeping Bag could be a good choice.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Kat Aus welcome to the forum! I hope that we Australians can travel by then, and that enough albergues will be open so that it is not necessary to look elsewhere. Who knows what the next 12 months will bring?
My preference is a silk sleeping bag liner, inside of which I put a very lightweight down throw - bought from Costco for about $35. If it is cold I pull the down throw around me, if hot I push it aside, so that effectively I am only inside a silk liner.

Thanks for these insights. I have some of the same concerns, especially over the mummy style (as I prefer sleeping with my legs apart). Re: temperatures, I don't expect 25 degrees C at night, as the overnight lows in Lisbon over the next 10 days are between 16-18 degrees and by the time I get to northern Portugal / Galicia it will be late September / early October and presumably a fair bit cooler than that. I'm not thrilled to have to carry a sleeping bag in the first place, so I just want something that compresses into as small a package as possible and is not made with down or silk. That's why I was thinking of this one, as it was the lightest/smallest of the range. But I'm open to other options that can ship to Portugal within 2.5 weeks!

Edit: the Ultralight Lixada Sleeping Bag could be a good choice.
It was just a quick look but I saw rectangular bags on the same Decathalon website for £10 that would probably do fine. Can’t remember for certain but believe rated to 16C? If the temp was lower just wear a shirt and leggings to bed and shouldn’t imagine you’d be cold during this months. Warmer nights undo the full-length zipper and you’ve got a simple quilt that will vent heat out and free the feet!

Will check it out. Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Kat Aus welcome to the forum! I hope that we Australians can travel by then, and that enough albergues will be open so that it is not necessary to look elsewhere. Who knows what the next 12 months will bring?
My preference is a silk sleeping bag liner, inside of which I put a very lightweight down throw - bought from Costco for about $35. If it is cold I pull the down throw around me, if hot I push it aside, so that effectively I am only inside a silk liner.
Nothing like a "welcome" to make you feel good. Thank you and thank you so much for your opinion. Everything helps. I have plenty of time to toy everything over. Ciao

Welcome to the forum, @Kat Aus . You are replying to a thread from 2018. Many things have changed since then. I have walked various camino routes in the autumn, Oct/Nov., four times. There will be things that you need to consider for a fall camino in 2021. There is unlikely to be any bedding available in the albergues, except for disposable paper sheets, and possibly also paper pillow cases, in some places. What you bring for bedding will need to depend on the temperatures you expect. It may be quite chilly in October, and heating is often turned on quite late in the fall in the albergues. I would suggest taking a light-weight sleeping bag, paired with some warm clothes that you can wear on chilly evenings, and to bed, if needed. Keep the idea of layering in your mind when choosing clothing and gear. 2021 is a Holy Year, so may have many more pilgrims than usual. I am hoping that all the pandemic precautions may no longer be necessary by then, but there is no knowing at present, and albergue dormitories are now under many special hygiene restrictions. I can't give a specific brand recommendation for a sleeping bag. But remember that the camino is not a backcountry hike. You may pick up a warm shirt or socks to supplement your sleeping bag at many towns along the way.
Thank you very much for replying.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.