• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in a dorm room where there's someone with a CPAP

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Portugues 2019
Frances 2023
Hi,

I'm specifically posted this here in a general forum and not the medical forum because I'm hoping for responses from folks who have spent the night in a albergue dorm with someone who's using a CPAP machine in the same room.

I have sleep apnea, so travel with a CPAP. I'm wondering how intrusive the noise from the CPAP machine to those around me? I snore without the machine, so don't want to be that guy. But I also don't want to be that guy with that annoying machine. My travel device seems pretty quiet....but then I'm asleep when it's really being used. On my first Camino, prior to me being diagnosed with SA, I slept in rooms that had various noises during the night. People moving, breathing, stirring in the night, frequently a snorer. So the room is never dead quiet like a private room, so my hope and expectation is the white noise from my machine shouldn't be too disruptive or no more than the typical sounds of an albergue dorm room.

So for those of you that have shared a room with a cpap user, was the noise disruptive?

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

I'm specifically posted this here in a general forum and not the medical forum because I'm hoping for responses from folks who have spent the night in a albergue dorm with someone who's using a CPAP machine in the same room.

I have sleep apnea, so travel with a CPAP. I'm wondering how intrusive the noise from the CPAP machine to those around me? I snore without the machine, so don't want to be that guy. But I also don't want to be that guy with that annoying machine. My travel device seems pretty quiet....but then I'm asleep when it's really being used. On my first Camino, prior to me being diagnosed with SA, I slept in rooms that had various noises during the night. People moving, breathing, stirring in the night, frequently a snorer. So the room is never dead quiet like a private room, so my hope and expectation is the white noise from my machine shouldn't be too disruptive or no more than the typical sounds of an albergue dorm room.

So for those of you that have shared a room with a cpap user, was the noise disruptive?

Thanks
The noise from a CPAP is a blessing! The albergue dorms are often a wonder of cacophony - A sonorama of sneezes, snorts, snores, stumble-thumpers on their way to the toilets, thunderous claps of flatulence, squeaky bed springs, and sighs/sobs from dyspepsia (that last bit of chorizo or pulpo will do it). Besides, having walked their daily 25-30k. most pilgrims can sleep through a train wreck!
PS At times there is a rush for access to electricity, phones pads pods perhaps consider bringing along one of these 1595141888786.png Assuming SF is San Francisco get one in Spain any hardware store (ferretería) and
many supermarkets will have them.

Last edited:
Hi

I have only once come across someone using a cpap machine on the camino. I was staying in a smaller dorm room (6 beds) and the user mentioned to me that she would be using her cpap machine that night. She explained that it was a very quiet type that she had and that it shouldn't bother me at all but said she always advised people before going to bed so they were aware. The machine had a small light on it that she covered with an item of clothing.

The machine did not bother me at all and as someone else mentioned it was actually lovely to sleep to - the soft white noise!

I don't think you will have any problems on the camino with your machine. I would advise people you are sleeping next to out of courtesy only because some people may never have seen one before and may not be used to hearing one.

As mentioned previous, the electrical plug access may be something to think about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
I also have had the experience of sleeping near a CPAP user. I was surprised by how quiet it was, yet I was awakened by a dramatic snorting in the middle of the night as the user had an episode of sleep apnea that the machine couldn’t handle.
I’m glad the CPAP user did not keep the whole room awake all night with this distressing sleep pattern. The machine was relatively quiet, and we were all able to sleep.

I was convinced that it made sense to bring my own next time.
All the best,
Paul

I walked with a guy who used a CPAP machine for a while. It never bothered me at all. Explaining to others that he needed an electrical outlet near him was sometimes a 'problem' unfortunately.

Davey

I cannot comment on the CPAP machine, but can comment regarding the scarcity of electric outlets in albergues. During two of our caminos, we stayed in a delightful albergue in Rabanal del Camino. In the large sleeping dorm, there were 15 to 20 bunkbeds and the room was usually "completo". The only electrical outlets were by the door and there was major competition to use the plugs to recharge cell phones and other devices. There were a few adapters to allow more numerous hookups. The small desk or chair that was used as a platform for the devices looked like a pile of spaghetti. One other memory was spending a night at the municipal albergue in Triacastela. The rooms were cute - two bunks to a room, but only one electric outlet, closest to my wife's bed. She woke up later in the night and there was a man hovering above her head, which frightened her. He had the other bunkbed in the room. He asked her if it was alright if he could disconnect her phone and charge his! Our third camino last year we had a private room every night and did not have to share our electric outlets with anyone! Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in the same room several times with a man who had a portable CPAP machine and did not notice it at all. He told me that he had it and that the noise level was low and made sure that I knew about it. That was thoughtful. In, summary, not an issue for me at all.

Although I have not experienced a Camino yet, my husband usées a CPAP machine. He’s had several versions, one of which vibrated à bit and you could hear on the floor below. That is now changed and I don’t notice noise, just a gentle breeze every now and then; pure bliss after heavy snoring.

Hi,

Thanks
I have only been in an Albergue once with a CPAP? Machine. It wasn't a problem. There are a lot more intrusive goings on in an Albergue. After a good days walk I sleep until the first Pilgrim starts squirrelling in his pack in the morning. 😃

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

Thanks
My wife and I each use a CPAP. While it is not silent we do not have, nor have we been told of any problem with noise. It is called a Philips Respironics Dream Machine. There is a small portable unit that might be better to carry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been in albergue rooms several times with fellow pilgrims using CPAP machines. Did not find them to be disturbing at all. In fact I can barely even remember them. They were that non-invasive to me.
By far I find fellow pilgrims with poor hygiene (they stink) and who makes a mess of the area around them to be far more an inconvenience. Them and the ones that rustle around with their kit in the dark for 30 minutes at 5:00 am before they leave. Oh, and the long showers people while there's a queue waiting, and the ones that hog a clothes washing sink for 30 minutes while there's a queue for that as well, and then there's the...etc etc etc

I have often shared space with CPAP users. As with previous commenter, I have never found them a problem...quite the contrary! More often than not, I set up on an an adjacent bunk...I welcome the soporific 'white noise'.

B

I walked with a guy who used a CPAP machine for a while. It never bothered me at all. Explaining to others that he needed an electrical outlet near him was sometimes a 'problem' unfortunately.

Davey
Hey Dave. 'Might you have walked the Frances in 2016 with a trailname "Downhill Dave"?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everyone is so very kind in their responses to you, @SF-Pilgrim...all is good! It looks like you will have no problem, so not to worry when you are ready to walk! There are many positive things about this forum and this is just an example of one of them!
I agree. Thank You. My hope is other CPAP users with similar concerns as mine see this post too.

Last year I walked a short camino starting in Valenca. At the last minute I sent my sleeping bag ahead to Santiago with my suitcase. Long story short, I was concerned about finding an outlet and I didn't want to be that guy with the noisy machine. About halfway through my Camino I realized that was a mistake. I missed the albergue experience and meeting other pilgrims.

Currently planning to walk Camino Ingles through to Finisterre and Muxia next year. As I research this camino, I making note of the albergues that offer power outlets next to the bunk. It seems like power outlets next to the bed is becoming common in the newer private albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It seems like power outlets next to the bed is becoming common in the newer private albergues.
I think you are correct. I have noticed it myself in the past two years in charging my phone at night. I have also heard it mentioned on the forum about bringing a longer extension cord with you, if this could be an option, although it would add to your backpack weight.

Everyone is so very kind in their responses to you, @SF-Pilgrim...all is good! It looks like you will have no problem, so not to worry when you are ready to walk! There are many positive things about this forum and this is just an example of one of them!
I doubt that you will find anyone willing to object publicly on this forum, but I have met one pilgrim who did on the Camino. There mightn't be that many, but it can be very unpleasant when you do cross paths with them in an albergue. You could completely avoid them, but you shouldn't be lulled into thinking someone won't object, rare though that might be.

I don't think @SF-Pilgrim should worry. He has just as much right to sleep in an albergue as anyone else, and cpap machines from what the above consensus is saying, appear to pose no problem; in fact they seem to be preferable to snorers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't think @SF-Pilgrim should worry. He has just as much right to sleep in an albergue as anyone else, and cpap machines from what the above consensus is saying, appear to pose no problem; in fact they seem to be preferable to snorers.
@Camino Chrissy, when someone shakes you awake in the middle of the night and wants you to turn off your CPAP because the very small amount of noise it is making is keeping him awake, rational discussion about the rights or wrongs of the situation is not the first thing to come to mind. I was completely unprepared for that, as was my wife who was also woken by this person.

Should @SF-Pilgrim worry? In some 150 nights I have spent on the camino and other pilgrimage routes, albeit not all in albegue dormitories, this happened once. It clearly isn't common and perhaps unlikely to occur to someone else. But it was a shock, and I was completely unprepared for it. @SF-Pilgrim might be better prepared not to see this through completely rose-tinted glasses.

Hi,

Thanks
I shared a bunk room with a guy that used a CPAP machine, I found the noise of his machine quite relaxing, much better than snoring, best wishes Susan

I really do not mind people snoring ; not sure though how I'd feel about someone's apnea machine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a fairly light sleeper so i would hear snorers, CPAP machines early risers, etc. That being said, it's my problem not theirs as they aren't targeting me with the noise.

I just wear earplugs. I sleep, they sleep and no harm done.

On my first camino I slept on the top bunk while an older gentleman with what I suppose could have been a CPAP machine was below. It was some kind of a noisy breathing apparatus and I didn't mind at all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Camino Chrissy, when someone shakes you awake in the middle of the night and wants you to turn off your CPAP because the very small amount of noise it is making is keeping him awake, rational discussion about the rights or wrongs of the situation is not the first thing to come to mind. I was completely unprepared for that, as was my wife who was also woken by this person.

Should @SF-Pilgrim worry? In some 150 nights I have spent on the camino and other pilgrimage routes, albeit not all in albegue dormitories, this happened once. It clearly isn't common and perhaps unlikely to occur to someone else. But it was a shock, and I was completely unprepared for it. @SF-Pilgrim might be better prepared not to see this through completely rose-tinted glasses.
Happened to me one time. Apparently I was snoring. I do not always snore, but sometimes I do. It seemed surreal, the physically shaking me awake and seeing the individual's face coming into focus just a few inches from mine in the dark was disturbing. Very offensive and when you consider that the person is actually physically grabbing you, it has the makings of an assault and I will be honest I did not know what was happening to me at first. I cannot imagine a male pilgrim doing the same to a female pilgrim. What her reaction could be. The next morning I told the pilgrim he should never ever do that again. It was offensive and intrusive and someone may take defensive actions against him next time.

Hi,

Thanks

I sleept in one room with my sister using such a device during a weekend together. No problem at all!

Haven't read every entry here but due to typical dearth of outlets in albergue dorm rooms, also carry a lightweight perhaps 30-ft extension cord. Your bunk may not be near one. When we US peregrinos can return, go for it!

Last time, I slept in a bunk bed right over a CPAP user, and did not really hear it all night.
Used ear plugs as per usual, so this doable.
Mind you, in my childhood, we had friends staying over in the vicarage and the church bell above struck time every quarter hour...
People swore they would never return and they never did...
New CPAPs are lighter and less noisy....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say that if anyone is sleeping in a crowded hostel or albergue... they have to expect ...and accept all sorts of noises and unpleasant sounds emanating from their fellow pilgrims. Thats just the way it is. If you are going to sleep in an albergue, ear plugs are a pilgrim’s best friends. I don’t think anyone has the right to complain. If you don’t like it, you can always stay at a hotel or free camp under the Spanish stars.

Beats the alternative!
I think after a social communal dinner involving one or more vino tinto's most pilgrims would welcome the sleep apneic among them use a CPAP device.

Personally speaking, I was in the upper bunk at the Estella Municipal Albergue and was apparently snoring quite loudly. The woman in the bunk below jabbed me through the mattress with her hiking pole, every time I snored.

I have opted for private accommodations more often than not since then to avoid waking up bruised and battered. BTW I now have a sleep apnea machine but have yet to do a camino since.

The tricky part is
i) finding a small enough device (with a humidifier) which doesn't add too much weight to your pack. There is one model by "Resmed" which uses your own exhaled humidified air to help during inspiration. I own this model and it works reasonably but not perfect.

ii) finding an electrical outlet near your bunk. Most of the time these are taken by cell phone and camera chargers.

JT

Hi @SF-Pilgrim
I have been using a CPAP machine in Albergues every night on all my Caminos since 2010. Like DougFitz, I guess I've stayed in at least 150 albergues in that time. The issue with finding an electric socket can be an issue in some of the older albergues. Other kind pilgrims have on occasion changed bunks so I could have access to a socket....a reflection of the type of people you meet on the Camino in general. Most albergues now have multiple sockets so it's much less of an issue. Good hospitaleros will usually take care of you!

As a matter of courtesy I always let the other pilgrims know that I will be using a CPAP and I hope it doesn't disturb their nights sleep. Some just say "ah no problem, my Dad has one",...a reminder that I'm not as young as I thought! Despite that "I'm still not letting the old man in"! In the morning I ask if it disturbed them and of course they say "not at all", pilgrims are good people...even if they tell the odd little lie!

It's possible that I might have been "that CPAP pilgrim" referred to by your other contributors, as not being disturbed by the "purr" of my machine. I'll take this opportunity to thank you all for tolerating the "purr" of mine and other CPAP users.

Now it's time to stop rambling and reassure @SF-Pilgrim not to be deterred..stick with staying in the albergues...with the odd night in a pension or hotel.

Buen Camino... Happy St James's Day
Jim

PS:Bring an adapter so you can share a socket, it will help you feel less of an inconvenience to others who may want to charge a phone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Davey
CPAP machines are not an issue for me but I have only slept in a dorm room once with one going. As for power, take an extension cord with a few outlets on one end then you only need one converter at the wall. I did this on our Camino for my phone, camera, my wife’s phone, etc.
Bon Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a cpap the whole way on tbe Camino Frances in August 2019. Didnt have a complaint from anyone. The only advice i would give is to carry a 3-5m extension cord as i used mine in a couple of albergues. I also carried a small (self written) note in spanish and english saying that i used a cpap and could i please have a bed near a power po i nt, which i showed the hospitalier on arrival. In90% of albergues it isnt an issue but in a couple they did zctually show me to a bed close to a power point. Cpaps are very common on camino. At Casa Susi, Sue told me they have a cpap user almost "every other night". It should be remembered that needing to use a cpap is a health issue and should be treated with that respect, just as you would someone with a walking stick or dietary limitations etc

I have slept in close proximity to CPAP user, and I is NO problem!!! It is very slight sound. Not at all a problem to sleep.
Please do not hesitate to use your machine.

Hi,

Thanks
Hi I traveled for about a week with a CPAP user I have to say I never found the rythmic sound of the CPAP disturbing in fact at the end of the time together it felt like I couldn't get to sleep without it. 😊

Hi,

Thanks
Hi,

I slept a couple of dorm beds away from a guy with a machine and the noise coming from it was less than other snoring in room so didn’t find it an issue, though did wonder what the machine was for to start with. The first thing in my rucksack when packing is a bunch of pairs of earplugs 😃 Snoring and being awaken by early risers is all part of the Camino experience.

Enjoy your walk.

Lyndon

I have walked 2 Caminos with my friend who uses a CPAP machine every night.
The machines are very quiet and do not disturb others, however on many occasions he was given the use of the "invalids room" to guarantee that he had a power socket and would not disturb other pilgrims.
It was never an issue wherever we stayed.
I hope this helps to put you at ease.

It seems like power outlets next to the bed is becoming common in the newer private albergues.
True. And even in the larger, cheaper albergues an extension chord/flex is provided for multiple outlets, although not necessarily near your bunk. I always carry one of those multiple usb jacks, so others can charge their phones while I’m still charging mine.

My husband uses a CPAP machine, and I LOVE the soft white noise it makes. Very soothing, making it easier to sleep. To the point that I have installed a 'white noise' app on my phone for when he is away. I haven't walked my first Camino yet, but I'm sure your fellow pilgrims will be more than happy to accommodate your machine - got to be better than snoring 🤣!

On Orisson (Aug. '17) I slept in the bunk above a man who had a full blown fairly loud breathing machine that sounded like it was breathing for him. Our room probably had 20 people in it and I didn't notice anybody complain even when he was out of the room. The machine was quite large and I wondered how he would manage with such difficulty breathing and such a large machine. The next morning I was the last one at breakfast (as always) and I saw him mounting a mule with large saddle bags. It was my first amazing eye opening experience on the Camino. This man wanted to make the pilgrimage and he found a way to do it. I was hoping to cross paths with him again but never did.

So it's wonderful for you to be so considerate in asking but I think anyone who might object to your use of a CPAP is extremely inconsiderate and badly in need of some of the amazing lessons the Camino has for each of us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

So for those of you that have shared a room with a cpap user, was the noise disruptive? The modern CPAP machines are very quiet, I have one, so go with using it rather than not. Everyone will be happier including you.

Thanks

A CPAP is *much* less noisy than snoring. But, I've had complaints from my snoring, and had one guy complained about my travel Cpap.

Definitely use your cpap and if you can get the smaller travel size perfect. I use a cpap and have never had a complaint from my husband regarding any noise from the machine, it is whisper quiet so much better than snoring etc. Anyone who complains of cpap white noise should stay home and take up knitting or maybe the needles make too much noise! LOL

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Thanks

I am happy that so many people have written to reassure you. I have a small travel CPAP and I've used it on all my Caminos since 2014. It has a small backup battery for those nights where I can't get near a power outlet.
In all the years I've only had one complaint and that was the night I forgot to explain about the machine to people in beds near me.
So I always mention the machine and people are ok with it.
And I always carry a USB multiplug so I can share my electrical socket with others.
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.