• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in a tent

Paul Popesc

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, I want to go the route St. Jean Pied de
Port - Santiago Compostela. I want to sleep in a tent. Are there any restrictions in this sense? Who can tell me where you are camping. How much does it cost? The period of the year recommended for this route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Port - Santiago Compostela. I want to sleep in a tent. Are there any restrictions in this sense? Who can tell me where you are camping. How much does it cost? The period of the year recommended for this route.
I thought about taking a tent and was glad I didn't. There are a few camping areas along the camino and some alberques will let you set up, but you still need to pay for a shower and services. If you do decide to try it be aware that LOTS of people walk the camino every year. So if you set up off the trail in the evening, (there are lots of places you could, but it is not really legal) you will need to be far enough off so you aren't setting up in a toilet area, which is just about everywhere. The alberques are cheap enough and there are enough of them and that is also where the social aspect of the camino comes into play. Use them and enjoy. I carried camp mattress, but sent it ahead after less than a week as it wasn't even needed. Depending on the time of year you also need very little for a sleeping bag or quilt. We used very light silk liner bags that we had extended to make them larger around the shoulders. They weighed in at like 3 ounces or something like that and they were adequate. Enjoy the camino for what it is: A walk with lots of people all doing the same thing. Solitude is in your mind.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have MCS and in the past I've taken a screen tent and slept outside when the weather permitted.
The biggest downfall is the weight.
There are plenty of spots where you can stealth camp - just leave the place like you found it.
I've mostly found spots AFTER each village, so you can go into town, get food, then walk a ways out and find a place, sometimes in a park with tables, etc. There is no charge. Certain albergues will allow camping. Some I know of offhand are Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Hospital de Orbigo, Rabanal del Camino, and several others. Pretty much any of them with a yard are worth asking. You'll pay whatever the other pilgrims pay for the use of the shower and kitchen, usually under 8 euros.

If you do a search on tents and on camping you'll find lengthy threads about this.
Buen Camino.

I keep editing this because I keep thinking of other places.
Outside of Ciraqui is a good place if you walk the ROAD and not the Camino.
You can see a photo on my blog.
San Nicholas, San Anton have allowed camping in the past.
There are many...

I wouldn't bother taking a stove, etc.
There are many very inexpensive places to find food all along the route.

You can find a lot of opinions on this topic by looking at the "Tent" tag here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/tags/tent/

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Yes, very few official camp sites and few albergues that have space around the house and allow it. Wild camping is, mostly, forbidden in Spain and nearly everywhere on the CF. The closer you come to Santiago, the more signs you will see 'No Camping!'. In short, leave the tent at home and enjoy your lighter backpack.

To your second question: Easter - October is the 'main pilgrims season', but the way is open all year round. In the deep of winter albergue options are reduced and you need to plan carefully for this.
Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back