• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in church porches - etiquette?

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
I've heard/seen references to sleeping in church porches or on floors in various places (the current thread about full albergues for example). I walked the Frances last October and only once considered it as an option. I'm just wondering what the etiquette is?

Is it Camino thing or a general Spanish tradition? Do you ask permission? Is it acceptable just to bed down in the porch if there is no-one there? Is a donativo expected? I'm just imagining the reaction of a lot of people here to seeing itinerant (and often well-heeled) tourists taking shelter in a church for the night.

I've spent a lot of time wandering out of doors and slept under the stars many times but it never really occurred to me for it to be a fallback for accommodation. I take it that it would be expected that conditions were exceptional?

Cheers,

Stuart

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From my experience of back-packing in Spain over four decades now, and only recently on the Caminos, sleeping within the shelter of a church is generally acceptable behaviour especially in rural areas. Though you may find local youth will regard their local church as their quiet spot for doing the stuff that kids do. In the larger towns and cities "sanctuary" still applies but be aware that your compadres may not be pilgrims. They may indeed be kinder, more generous and more welcoming: if a little inebriated.

The France's is blessed by so many beds that it is unlikely that you will need to resort to hard wood and cold stone unless you choose to.

There´s not any etiquette I am aware of, besides common sense consideration. (aka don´t leave a pile of litter behind when you go, and don´t light any fires.) Do not be surprised if you are wakened by policemen, or neighbors who have noticed you are there and are making sure you are OK... or who know of more comfortable places to bed down.

If you can, track down a police officer before you doss down. Finding you a place to stay is sometimes part of their duties. Just don´t be surprised if they drop you off at a half-built house, or an old-folks home, or a Red Cross first aid station. Back in 2001 I spent a night in a local jail cell on my way to Finisterre! (they didn´t lock the doors. Not that time, at least! :lol: )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the replies. Common sense sounds... well... sensible advice.

Yeah, I've spent the night in a few odd places by asking and I stayed in a vacant cell once as well. I think that was in northern Yugoslavia. I've always been surprised at how generous people in rural places (and often the poorest places) can be.

One thing I would do is waiting until evening mass (if there is one!) is over before putting your sleeping pad and sleeping bag out and install yourself for the night. If you join the locals at mass, if you feel so inclined, that is also appreciated. Apart of that, what the others have said ;-) Buen Camino! SY

PS I love sleeping in Church porches, normally no snorers around, but a bit of a problem when the village is in "Fiesta Mood", in that case, just join in!

Would the etiquette be any different than on the porch of the supermercado? Unless the church somehow makes your Camino more special, there are many sleeping options that are a bit less ostentatious. A priest may visit a village church only once a month, so he won't care if you keep it clean. Any plans for the midnight toilet needs? The porch? The bushes? The cemetery? The nearby bar may be closed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would the etiquette be any different than on the porch of the supermercado? Unless the church somehow makes your Camino more special, there are many sleeping options that are a bit less ostentatious. A priest may visit a village church only once a month, so he won't care if you keep it clean. Any plans for the midnight toilet needs? The porch? The bushes? The cemetery? The nearby bar may be closed.

The etiquette might be the same for sleeping on the mercado porch, but it is far more likely that you will be brusquely advised to remove yourself. Supermercados are not part of Spanish hospitality traditions--- they are private property. While the priest might not notice or care, the villagers and townspeople will, and they are our hosts. Relieving yourself in a cemetery is a an offence in many places but would certainly be offensive in all-- head for the bushes.

I too searched the word, "porch" last night, somehow I missed this thread and almost posted the same thread. Has anyone done this in France, perhaps along the Le Puy route? Do the French regard it differently? Compiling a mental list of things that I should avoid doing because sleeping outside is on my list of things to do this summer.

I too searched the word, "porch" last night, somehow I missed this thread and almost posted the same thread. Has anyone done this in France, perhaps along the Le Puy route? Do the French regard it differently? Compiling a mental list of things that I should avoid doing because sleeping outside is on my list of things to do this summer.

I have only done the routes from Toulouse to Somport, and from Mont Saint Michel, but never saw anyone sleeping in church porches. You might want to remember that churches older than 1906 belong to the state and are not church property.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I live in Moratinos, on the Frances. People sleep on the porch of our church, but we usually offer them an alternative. They also sometimes sleep in the "plantillo," the little playground park on the edge of town, and in the doorways of the bodegas, and out in the fields.

People who live along the caminos kinda assume the person sleeping on church porch is a pilgrim. But when they see someone sleeping outside the supermarket, or in the ATM doorway, they assume he's a bum. Also, amazingly, humans do not require toilets to evacuate themselves. Nature is full of places where humans can "do their business" without offending anyone or creating a biohazard, although a surprising number of pilgrims haven't figured out how to achieve that.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.