• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in SJPdP

Helen Jane Bass

tigrecita
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet!
(Plan to walk from SJDP on July 17th, 2016)
Hello all,

Leaving in a few days to start my first camino! Because I wasn't sure if my plans were going to come through until today, I hadn't yet reserved sleeping arrangements for SJPdP. I'll be taking an overnight bus and two trains starting on July 15th and spending the night in SJPdP on July 16th. I had planned on staying in a municipal albergue, but I am not sure if they will all be filled up with heavy travel season? I'll be arriving around 4pm, and I'm not picky when it comes to accommodation--looking for cheap if anything! Should I book a bed ahead in a private hostel, or wait until I get there to see what's available? Thanks!

Un saludo,
Helen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Helen,

You can always 'wing it".
When you arrive go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

I arrive at SJPdP on the 14th at about 7:00 pm. Wasn't sure if I would be able to get a bunk at an albergue that late so I reserved (booking.com) one at Gite Azkorria albergue for $27.oo US. There are cheaper ones there, though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I arrive at SJPdP on the 14th at about 7:00 pm. Wasn't sure if I would be able to get a bunk at an albergue that late so I reserved (booking.com) one at Gite Azkorria albergue for $27.oo US. There are cheaper ones there, though.

Mark,

When you arrive in SJPdP the day after tomorrow it will be Bastille Day here in France. Perhaps there will be fireworks in the evening over the Citadelle.

Bonne fête, Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Mark,

When you arrive in SJPdP the day after tomorrow it will be Bastille Day here in France. Perhaps there will be fireworks in the evening over the Citadelle.

Bonne fête, Bon chemin and Buen camino!
wow...that would be very cool to see

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Helen,

You can always 'wing it".
When you arrive go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!
Thank you for the advice! Delays back in the US means I haven't even left the Midwest yet. Looking forward to my first night in SJPdP!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the site--will check it out!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.