• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping liner vs. sleeping bag

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Michael,
You will doubtless find everyone here will give you different advice - which is part of the fun.
I bought a silk sleeping bag (Snugpak) seven years ago
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/range/sleeping-bag-liners/silk-liner-hooded
and it is still going strong. Very light 140g, less than half the weight, and about twice the price of the one you mention. I was persuaded by reading various advice here. I felt at that weight I could afford to carry both sleeping bag and liner. And perhaps it allowed for a lighter sleeping bag to be warm enough.
It is still going strong. The oft quoted fact(?) that it keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter seems to be true. I have, in August on Norte, used it alone without a sleeping bag, just a blanket from the albergue when necessary.
I think in September I would be inclined to bring a sleeping bag though as well. I got a Snugpak (700g), two-season I think. Have never regretted having it with me, though likewise didn't miss it last year on Norte.
I am heading to Primitivo in April and will take sleeping bag. Difficult to sleep if cold in the mountains! Not every albergue has blankets. Though I think most do. They don't always look very enticing!!!
Buen camino
Tim

Silk or nylon is lighter than cotton. Twelve ounces for a liner is a bit heavy (my homemade nylon liner is about 3 oz.); my sleeping bag is only about 16 oz.

I have found that for me, a liner is sufficient except in winter. My nylon liner provides about 8-10 degrees of warmth. I have a soft Tyvek sheet that adds another 8-10 degrees. My silk long underwear is good for another like amount. If I need more, I get a blanket from the hospitalero.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A Spanish pilgrim I met on a previous Camino and who spends every free minite he has in the Spanish mountains and paths suggested I bring a sleeping bag for my Sept. Norte, he said not so much because of cold temps but the high risk of rain and how I would welcome a warm bed after a day in the rain. Wouldn't you know it, northern Spain was yellow that year as it had not rained much that summer, and while I was there temps of 34 C were not uncommon. So I could probably have been ok with a liner, but liked knowing I had the bag instead mother nature returned to her old ways and atill used it as a throw.

Don't bring anything cotton...it just does not dry...I brought a silk sleeping liner which protects you against dirt and bedbugs but does nothing for cold...but also I tossed my sleeping bag because it was to bulky...so after my Camino I purchased a new "Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Liner" which is available in different warmth ratings...and really it is a cross between a sleeping bag (best for outdoors) and a sleeping liner (no warmth)...so it is perfect for sleeping in Albergues.

Hi all fellow pilgrims and walkers.

As you all know by now I will be doing the Primitivo in September.

Now I was wondering if a liner would be sufficient. Found this one here and I would like your opinions on this.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifeventure-ex3-cotton-sleeper-rectangular-d2422146?id_colour=123

Thanks and buen camino.

The answer depends on warm you sleep! Remember that at times you will be sleeping nearly 1000mts above sea level and the temperature can drop to single figures in September! I personally would pack a light sleeping bag. (My wife would need a heavier one!!). The "two season" mentioned above sounds about right.

372. Fonsagrada.JPG

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all! I voted for the liner and think that should be enough! I hate it too warm and might be uncomfortable in a sleeping bag. The one
Mentioned above sounds exactly what I need! Oh and got more presents for my bday! A diet aid kit and a bedbug sheet

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Just to confuse things even more - if you decide to get a silk liner, these ones are really good: http://www.silkliners.com I bought one last year following a recommendation on another thread. It's lighter and more compact than the comparable ones in Cotswold or Decathlon. It also feels really nice.

Happy birthday and happy shopping!

Thank you all! I voted for the liner and think that should be enough! I hate it too warm and might be uncomfortable in a sleeping bag.
Which is what Annakappa and I had decided for. Most albergues have blankets available (manta) in case it is too cold for just a liner. Don't speculate on global warming though!:eek:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all! I voted for the liner and think that should be enough! I hate it too warm and might be uncomfortable in a sleeping bag. The one
Mentioned above sounds exactly what I need! Oh and got more presents for my bday! A diet aid kit and a bedbug sheet
Sorry to say, this bedbug sheet is useless: it is too small to still cover the mattress when you move around in bed. I have the same one: useless. Get a large piece of tule, large enough to tuck it under the mattress, and leave the present back home... Sorry...

Sorry to say, this bedbug sheet is useless: it is too small to still cover the mattress when you move around in bed. I have the same one: useless. Get a large piece of tule, large enough to tuck it under the mattress, and leave the present back home... Sorry...
How big are those beds?

Ah well, here goes, we don't always all agree ;). I found the bedbug sheet perfectly good, certainly covered the albergue beds adequately and it's coming back with me this Summer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah well, here goes, we don't always all agree ;). I found the bedbug sheet perfectly good, certainly covered the albergue beds adequately and it's coming back with me this Summer.

This one is 150cmx200cm. I wondered how big those beds are. I will give it a try and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the single and it just does not stay in place. With a double you'll be able to tuck it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
since my sleeping bag its actually a quilt a take along a ultralight bag liner kind of keep the crawling little creatures from joining me :)

Zzotte

Last edited:
since my sleeping bag its actually a quilt a take along a ultralight bag liner kind of keep and crawling little creatures from joining me :)

Zzotte
Ok I will have to get this thought out of my head now in order to be able to sleep at all....Yikes

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Excellent suggestions in this thread, thank you. I'm very cold sensitive so I definitely opt for the warmest combination in my sleeping gear. One of the oldest tricks is still relevant, dress in layers :)

We're starting the Primitivo around the 15th May, and we have bought JagBag silk liners (2 x single, 1 x double) from Terravista Trails, and are also taking light polar fleece blankets we found that have zips sewn in them, and can be used as sleeping bags, blankets, or zipped together, and are lighter than any sleeping bags we could find that had the same flexibility. We also have the LifeSystems bed bug sheets, also 2 x single and 1 x double, and are taking ties to strap them around the bed/mattress as required to hold them in place.
I feel the cold (I've been sleeping with a duvet nearly every night this summer around 18degC), hubby doesn't.

After the camino, we continue backpacking around Europe until we head back to NZ beginning of August, so trying to keep everything light and practical.

Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Actually there are 2 sorts of bedbugs. The ones which will try to reach you from the bed will be eventually stopped by a poisonous bedbug sheet. The second, more advanced sort of bedbugs, are crawling on the ceiling and then jumping on uncovered parts of body, like face, arms or neck. So, I have concluded, that nothing in fact can stop a bedbug from sucking your blood. A mosquito net may help, but too much hassle with it. Instead my recipe is an extra glass of vino tinto perorally before going sleep will help to tolerate these little bastards during the night, and in the morning put some orujo on the itchy spots :)

How big are those beds?
The size of single beds, bunks etc varies quite a bit around the world, but generally between 90 cm and 100 cm wide, and 190 cm to 200 cm long. Single flat sheets that can be tucked in securely are around 180 cm x 260 cm. The Lifesystems and other products are generally only big enough to cover the top of the mattress, and don't appear to have sufficient width or length to be tucked into a mattress.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Have a look at Vietnam silk sleeping bag liners on eBay and then treat it with permentan anti bug if you are concerned I have used one since 2009 and if it is very cold layer up.
Oldman

Here is a question for those who use a quilt rather than a bag: do you also carry a sheet to put over the yucky one you would otherwise have to sleep on if you didn't, or the crispy clean one you will soil with your body sweat if you don't bring one?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is a question for those who use a quilt rather than a bag: do you also carry a sheet to put over the yucky one you would otherwise have to sleep on if you didn't, or the crispy clean one you will soil with your body sweat if you don't bring one?
I'm not sure I really understand what you are trying to ask. I plan on bringing a silk liner, then quilt on top as needed.

@Anemone del Camino in the past I have used a silk liner under my quilt, but I really don't like the feel of being in a "shroud". This year I am taking a single fitted silk sheet and my quilt. Both will be treated with Permethrin before I leave home. I anticipate washing the sheet a few times during the walk, but probably not the quilt, which only goes loosely on top of me.

@Anemone del Camino in the past I have used a silk liner under my quilt, but I really don't like the feel of being in a "shroud". This year I am taking a single fitted silk sheet and my quilt. Both will be treated with Permethrin before I leave home. I anticipate washing the sheet a few times during the walk, but probably not the quilt, which only goes loosely on top of me.
How do you know what size fitted sheet? Are all the beds the same size?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Its a smallish fitted single sheet - 99cm x 190cm x 40cm. I hope it will be OK - most bunk mattresses are not big.

I'm not sure I really understand what you are trying to ask. I plan on bringing a silk liner, then quilt on top as needed.
The purpose of a quilt is not to feel stuck in a bag, be it a liner or a sleeping bag, so using a liner with a quilt defeats the purpose of the quilt. So I was wondering what people do not to overly dirty sheets that are very likely not washed daily bu the hospitaleros.

Its a smallish fitted single sheet - 99cm x 190cm x 40cm. I hope it will be OK - most bunk mattresses are not big.
Now, to find one that folds down to nothing. I may look into the Vietnamese silk liners and rip one open to make a flat sheet instead of taking my bridal tulle veil ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The purpose of a quilt is not to feel stuck in a bag, be it a liner or a sleeping bag, so using a liner with a quilt defeats the purpose of the quilt. So I was wondering what people do not to overly dirty sheets that are very likely not washed daily bu the hospitaleros.
The purpose of this particular quilt is that it is very light weight at 198 grams. I also think that I will probably open up the side seam of the silk liner. Maybe not all the way down, but three quarters or so.

That is light, what brand and model is it? I've never seen a liner with a zip or any way of opening it. Interesting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's Mont Bell http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1206&p_id=1124593
When I say that I'd open up the liner, I mean that I would remove the stitching on the side. If I could find some lightweight silk I'd make my own.
I think that I'll check ebay for those cheap Vietnamese silk liners.
Interesting ... The link you provinde says this item Is not designed to be part of a sleep system ... Perhaps because it's too short and too narrow? The one I plan on taking is 60X70, whicjph is in line with the short Enlightened sleeping bag sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting ... The link you provinde says this item Is not designed to be part of a sleep system ... Perhaps because it's too short and too narrow?
Well, it probably doesn't integrate into their sleeping bags.
It's not going to stop me from using it to sleep!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi also use a single deep sided fitted sheet treated with Permethrin, it fits over the pillow and tucks in under the mattress, found some beds it was too big on but never one that it would not fit on , and sleep in the silk liner it is the rectangle type with a pillow insert which you can pull over your head if its very cold .
Oldman

Have you tried sleeping with it? Seems very small to me to sleep with.

I think that the time of year that I will be going and with a liner it should be fine if I can't get a blanket at an alburgue. I have a slightly larger down throw blanket that I use at home and it covers me very well.

That said, they have a new larger down blanket, that weighs 12 ounces (340 grams) and measures 78.3" x 44.9" (199 x 114cm)
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1121315

Have you tried sleeping with it? Seems very small to me to sleep with.
I just wanted to report that my little down blanket was perfect for my August/September Camino. I usually didn't need anything more than the silk liner, especially at the beginning because it was so hot. In fact, I put the down blanket under the silk liner a couple of times when the mattresses had those vinyl covers. When I did need a little warmth I tucked the blanket into the liner and it warmed me right up. I did sew snaps onto the liner and blanket, but they weren't strong enough to keep it in place. I think that I will sew little ties to keep the layers together for future use.

My opinion (on sleeping bag not bedbugs) is --as always--nothing new on race day. Set the temperature in your bedroom to the lows that are expected in your route. Sleep in your planned bag/sheet/swath of tulle and what you will wear at night. Repeat for a week. I live in an area where temps easily reach 100F and don't use my AC, but I do use my heat over 9 months out of the year. If we all felt the cold the same there would never be dual control electric blankets. :)

I think that the time of year that I will be going and with a liner it should be fine if I can't get a blanket at an alburgue. I have a slightly larger down throw blanket that I use at home and it covers me very well.

That said, they have a new larger down blanket, that weighs 12 ounces (340 grams) and measures 78.3" x 44.9" (199 x 114cm)
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1121315
I'm in love with my down blanket.
So much so I often use it at home.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.