• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping mat?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
mariann_bb said:
do I need to bring a sleeping mat

That's a matter of debate. I brought along a self-inflating short mat, but I never used it because I always got a bed. However, many Euro folks had a foam mat. The ones I walked with reclined on their pads during breaks on the trail. It was a good way to keep from getting dirty or poked by sticks/plants while resting (they worked great in fields of harvested wheat/grain, with all those hard stalks). I was afraid to use mine in the same way because I figured it would puncture. If I go back, I'd leave the self-inflating pad home and bring a foam pad instead. :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ivar said:
Google search

Don't get angry ivar;). Topics like this one should be deleted if possible (if there is few more on the same subject).

I took a sleeping mat on the VDLP and only used it once when sleeping in the change rooms of a swimming centre. If you don't need to use this kind of accommodation, you don't need the mat.

If you are thinking of camping, the proliferation of spent shottie cartridges along the way might change your mind.

Posted elsewhere on a parallel forum (not pilgrimage-to-santiago), I copy this exactly as posted:

Ps. Had a wonderful time on the camino during he months of August and September. It isn’t that crowded. Everywhere new albergues opened up. There is space enough for everybody. I met lots of wonderful people. I guess in altogether 4 months I spent walking or biking the Camino so far, I didn’t get a bed only about 4 or 5 times, although I love to walk in the afternoon into the sunset :) and tend to arrive late. So I slept on my mat in the patio of the albergues. So what?

To each his or her own, the last two words (my underlining) has suggested I quietly retire from that type of forum, thanks heaven we have Ivar.

Kwaheri

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I understand it a mat is a good insurance in the busy months of July and August when you may need to sleep on the floor occasionally. Outside of those months it is not needed.

I walked in august last year and needed a mat just once....but without it I would have bedded down on a stone flag floor, which would have been pointless basically.

Sleeping mats do two things; they stop heat being leeched out of your body into the ground and they give you a little more comfort. Given how utterly crucial a good nights sleep is in those conditions I would say its worth the investment if you travel to the camino in the summer months. I put it on the list of things I "hope i dont need but am very glad I have if needed!" Same as a first aid kit...pointless weight if you dont need it, absolutely crucial if you do.

For a great - and I do mean GREAT - budget inflatable have a look at the Slim AIric by Alpkit. Only on their website, no retailers for this..however...we got TWO (in a deal) for £42.50 and I would argue they are as good as the high end thermarests. In fact that one night I had on it was one of teh best nights sleep I had.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.