• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping mat

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
I am culling my pack list for our upcoming March Camino and am pondering ditching the sleeping mat. I have a Therm-a-rest Prolite 4 that weighs .95 Kilos. Looking at the many previous posts it appears that hardly anyone ever uses one. What do you all say? :?: My pack weight is currently at 11.9 kilos.

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino a todos!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd say that in March you are probably unlikely to need a sleeping mat..... I would leave it behind and lighten the pack load!
Margaret

I would ditch the mat and a bunch of other stuff to get your weight down to about 7 or 8 kilos.
You will be VERY happy you did this. Anything you find you needed can be picked up on the way. :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
crhutch said:
Looking at the many previous posts it appears that hardly anyone ever uses one.

I brought a short REI self-inflating pad and never used it. That said, some Germans I walked with for awhile had foam pads that were quite handy for sitting down or relaxing along the trail for a break. I wished I had one like theirs on those occassions to keep dirt off (I was afraid my inflatable one would pop due to rocks & such), but perhaps in March you won't be doing much sitting/lying down on the trail...

VT

I have a 2.5 x 2.5 piece of heavy duty plastic sheeting (10 mil) at 2.1 oz. that is perfect for sitting (uncushioned). It came from a large roll (20' x 100') at the garden store.

We bought some nice pads from REI too, but we needed to jettison some stuff to get our pack weights down so we are not taking the pads. We are taking some plastic sheeting (stuff you use for floor covering when painting) however. Very light only a bit over an ounce.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have walked 4 times and haven't seen anyone needing to use a sleeping mat OR a Thermarest. Ditch them both and you will be down to 11 kilos which is still too much! Peter

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.