• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping outdoors

Milly2b

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan on walking the Camino Frances in August 2017
Hello everyone !
Ok so this may be a strange question, but since I am on a tight budget I thought I may as well ask in case others do do this...
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances in 2-3 months and was wondering whether it's possible/legal to sleep outdoors along the way instead of paying for Albergues every night?
I would be walking August-September so it should be mild enough at night with a good sleeping bag (which I'm assuming I'll need to take anyway even if staying in the Albergues), and I would bring a not-too-heavy floor mat... What do you think?
Thanks for reading !
Milly

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
Hi Milly - it is true that there are a number of posts on here about this - there seems to be two polarised camps! Many say that it shouldn't be done and many say it should be done and is really pleasant!

This might be the best thread for you - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/calling-all-tent-trampers-wannabes.47101/

Just remember that it is your Camino - so go and enjoy!

Buen Camino!

Thanks David! I think I'm going to stick to Albergues most of the way then, after reading that post. I don't want to bother the locals and if it's illegal there's always the risk of fines... However I wasn't planning on properly camping or even bringing a tent and I'm still debating whether to just bring a floor mat so i can find a quiet free place for a few nights... But maybe I just shouldn't bother.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Milly.

I walked the Portuguese and although I stayed in a few albergues along the way I also slept 'rough' for many nights. The one problem I ran into was early morning dew. Even with a self inflated mat and a sleeping bag I thought I'd be okay but didn't really consider having something over the top of me. I woke up quite 'damp' some mornings and very cold as I'd only taken a 1/2 season sleeping bag. My wife called them "wet wipes" as they were so thin and wet some mornings!

We're doing the Portuguese again in 2 days time and taking a 3D tarp with us as we've again decided to sleep rough and cut down costs. Also we've invested in some 3 season down sleeping bags this year.

Personally I think sometimes we can be a little too 'British' and worry too much about offending people and 'going against the grain'. It certainly stopped me from taking a few more risks than I should of done 2 years ago. I'd make sure we were sleeping deep under cover and completely out of sight from locals and to be honest you can start to get a little too paranoid as to whether you're going to be spotted. You get this feeling you'll be hung drawn and quartered and body parts sent to the four corners of the earth (well it is flat innit? lol) if you get caught. To be honest I'm not sure what the situation is like in France but I've since heard they're a little more relaxed in Portugal.

I slept in roadside bushes, behind cafe bars, in beach huts, in the corners of open fields, the odd 'off the beaten track' train station, makeshift benders in sandhills and under boardwalks. . .to name but a few places.

I loved it apart from having to get up really early some mornings due to folk being aware of us.

GO FOR IT and have a great adventure!

BOM CAMINHO!

I have stealth camped a few places on the Frances, Ingles and Portugal.

Since staying at Albergues is so cheap, I use the shower, do clothes, prepare food, etc. If too many snoring people, I sleep outside Albergue or out of town.

"free camping" is illegal in Spain. I have done it many times.

No fires, no stove, no smoking, no lights, etc. Leave the area the way I found it.
Never camp/sleep on private property or enter a gate or climb over a fence.

You, as stated above, need a tarp, tent, or a bivy-sac of sorts. The morning dew will make things damp. And cold for you. Then takes for ever to dry a sleeping bag out.

I normally take a therm-a-rest pad. Either a light weight tent or a bivy--sac.

Always have a emergency blanket. One of those tin foil looking ones. Could save your life.

Never been bothered by anyone. I always picked a clean (watch out for poop on the Camino!). Out of sight and away from houses, farms, towns etc.

Only problem I ever had was a nasty spider bite. Got bit on my nose. Had to go to the pharmacy for meds and advice.

Interesting one this question. I have decided to sleep as much as possible in the albuerges. But I will also bring a tarp, sleeping bag, mat and a few other things, all light weight, so I can sleep outside, if that is the only or best option. I will do it in "stealth mode", never leave any traces and bring my trash with me, including my "heavy human waste". Yes, that too. Never leave a trace. I guess I am a bit of a wild man, so that has always been my modus.
Many will object to sleeping out, but I want to walk in my own tempi, having no stress over not finding a bunk due to the summer rush and just be able to stop and sleep in the middle of nowhere, if it suits me. And I will camp far away from roads, houses, dogs, cattle and other livestock too.
I really look forward to watch the stars before I fall asleep.....and wake up to the birds...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Torben Olesen,
I envy you falling asleep in true starlight. One of the many delights of the now unfortunately closed albergue at Eunate was falling asleep in the dark while regarding above applied to the dorm ceiling a phosphorescent band of stars, a Milky Way, leading westward...Magic.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I do look forward to that. Very much in fact (but I also look forward to the cameraderie in the albuergees, I want to stress that). But I will not recommend camping in a rough way to anyone inexperienced with it. I have done it a lot in Northern Europe and you have to plan carefully and think about everything, you will need and have to do in order to be comfortable and be able to truly enjoy the experience and the beauty of nature. The solitude. The thinking. The meditation... Until you wake up in the middle of the night and find out you have camped on an ant nest..

Weight is a concern, so is proper hygiene, food, water and safety. Pick your campsite with an eye on trees and branches, that may collapse, stay away from rivers that may flood etc. The wild life shouldn't be a concern in that part of Europe. But I always bring a small mosquito net for my head.

Yeah, I already look forward to gaze at the Milky Way....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone !
Ok so this may be a strange question, but since I am on a tight budget I thought I may as well ask in case others do do this...
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances in 2-3 months and was wondering whether it's possible/legal to sleep outdoors along the way instead of paying for Albergues every night?
I would be walking August-September so it should be mild enough at night with a good sleeping bag (which I'm assuming I'll need to take anyway even if staying in the Albergues), and I would bring a not-too-heavy floor mat... What do you think?
Thanks for reading !
Milly

When speaking of "camping" being illegal, there is a distinct definition of what "camping is according to Spanish authorities. "Camping" illegally involves more than three tents being set up for longer than the period between sunset and sunrise. Otherwise, it apparently is ok to "wild camp" or bivouac in areas which do not violate no trespassing postings or other prohibited areas. Since individual municipalities also regulate outdoor bivouacs, it is best to know what those rules are and where the municipality's boundaries lie before pitching a tent.

My tent, sleeping quilt, and air mattress are the same equipment I have used for thousands of miles of backpacking in the Cascades, Sierra Nevada, and Rocky Mountains. Together, they make up about 2.8 pounds of my 10.6 pound load. I will be doing at least as many nights bivouacking as i will be spending the night in albergues rooms. I do plan to ask, as is appropriate, to set up my tent at any albergue which may allow such, and pay the same fee as those sleeping inside. Access to showers and washing facilities at an albergue would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. I also don't want to break the law or give other pilgrims a bad reputation because of my behaviour. So obeying laws, respecting other people's property and the general norms is very important to me. That's also why I am careful and always look for discrete and remote places, never use fire, clean up etc etc
I also like the idea of paying and staying in the alburgees but sleep outside on the lawn if possible. I look forward to the company of the other pilgrims but sleeping outside is very nice in the summer time. I tend to overheat in the dorms.... And it's nice to be cool and comfortable while watching the stars ...

I agree with you. I also don't want to break the law or give other pilgrims a bad reputation because of my behaviour. So obeying laws, respecting other people's property and the general norms is very important to me. That's also why I am careful and always look for discrete and remote places, never use fire, clean up etc etc
I also like the idea of paying and staying in the alburgees but sleep outside on the lawn if possible. I look forward to the company of the other pilgrims but sleeping outside is very nice in the summer time. I tend to overheat in the dorms.... And it's nice to be cool and comfortable while watching the stars ...

Yup....absolutely. Keeping the bivouac area clean is important for another reason....wild boars. While I avoid any food preparation or consumption within 50 feet of where I sleep as a strategy to avoid bears when I backpack at home, apparently this is also a good strategy to help avoid confrontations with the wild boar that are endemic to Spain. Since I won't be doing any cooking while I bivouac, but instead eat food that I purchase along the way that can be eaten without preparation, the challenge is to control odors of leftovers in an odor control bag. I'll bring a couple of Loksak Opsak bags, at 1 ounce of weight.
https://www.rei.com/product/884266/...OKx-dCX40lfi3j7h2if-WUaoxCUvDgANDlhoCIsPw_wcB

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I, too, am interested in sleeping outside. I am a 60 year old female, traveling alone. I normally sleep in my backyard spring through fall (except when it rains). I have read a lot of the posts about sleeping outside and find the information confounding. A number of the posts talk about sleeping outside being illegal; others talk about the ease of sleeping outside, others warn of sleeping in areas filled with "deposits", some say easy to find a place to sleep outside, some difficult.

MY QUESTIONS: Will it be possible and safe for woman to sleep outside alone on a fairly regular basis (Frances route from SJPDP, Leaving June 24)? If so, what equipment is recommended? sleeping bag? silk sleeping liner? sleeping pad? tent? Bivvy? I normally sleep on a backpacking sleeping pad with a light sleeping bag.

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I, too, am interested in sleeping outside. I am a 60 year old female, traveling alone. I normally sleep in my backyard spring through fall (except when it rains). I have read a lot of the posts about sleeping outside and find the information confounding. A number of the posts talk about sleeping outside being illegal; others talk about the ease of sleeping outside, others warn of sleeping in areas filled with "deposits", some say easy to find a place to sleep outside, some difficult.

MY QUESTIONS: Will it be possible and safe for woman to sleep outside alone on a fairly regular basis (Frances route from SJPDP, Leaving June 24)? If so, what equipment is recommended? sleeping bag? silk sleeping liner? sleeping pad? tent? Bivvy? I normally sleep on a backpacking sleeping pad with a light sleeping bag.

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!

1. Prior to the Camino, do a couple of overnight backpacking trips so that you can gain experience, confidence, and comfort at spotting good sites for an over-night bivouac. That can't be done in your backyard. There is a bit of an art to spotting a good site and making sure that unexpected conditions don't make things unpleasant. For example, avoiding low spots where rain water may puddle or flow into a tent or tarped setup. Lot's of information online for things to be aware of. What you can do in your backyard, and should prior to an overnight trip with new equipment, is to practice setting things up until you can do it fairly easy with little daylight available. I suggest that you even practice a few times setting things up when it is dark out and using just your head lamp.

2. Equipment. This is a budgetary, weight, and personal comfort decision. Compromises need to be made to determine what will work for you, and what will not. Me, I can afford the cost of extremely ultra-lightweight sleeping gear and tent. Others, with less of a budget, will opt to purchase gear that is a bit heavier, but still light.
Purchasing equipment from a store like REI, will allow you to return any purchases, for refund or exchange, which you find doesn't work for you after you take it out and practice with it. Below, I have posted a link to a website which provides practical information and reviews of equipment long distance thru-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail use, like, and dislike. This will get you started with your research.
http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/

3. There are many ways to accomplish sleeping out. Be flexible. The more you practice before hand, the better one becomes at achieving flexibility. :)

@Milly2b +1 on the emergency blanket, but get something more durable than a mylar sheet. Check this one out at REI: Space All-Weather Blanket. I always bring one camping, and have them in my BOB bags. You could use it like a taco shell (fold it half, and get inside). Just read a bit about vapor barriers and how to deal with condensation (it's all a balancing act). Another alternative is Tyvek ... cheap, light weight, and durable. Tyvek lean to, or A frame with your trekking poles would be very inexpensive.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. Prior to the Camino, do a couple of overnight backpacking trips so that you can gain experience, confidence, and comfort at spotting good sites for an over-night bivouac. That can't be done in your backyard. There is a bit of an art to spotting a good site and making sure that unexpected conditions don't make things unpleasant. For example, avoiding low spots where rain water may puddle or flow into a tent or tarped setup. Lot's of information online for things to be aware of. What you can do in your backyard, and should prior to an overnight trip with new equipment, is to practice setting things up until you can do it fairly easy with little daylight available. I suggest that you even practice a few times setting things up when it is dark out and using just your head lamp.

2. Equipment. This is a budgetary, weight, and personal comfort decision. Compromises need to be made to determine what will work for you, and what will not. Me, I can afford the cost of extremely ultra-lightweight sleeping gear and tent. Others, with less of a budget, will opt to purchase gear that is a bit heavier, but still light.
Purchasing equipment from a store like REI, will allow you to return any purchases, for refund or exchange, which you find doesn't work for you after you take it out and practice with it. Below, I have posted a link to a website which provides practical information and reviews of equipment long distance thru-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail use, like, and dislike. This will get you started with your research.
http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/

3. There are many ways to accomplish sleeping out. Be flexible. The more you practice before hand, the better one becomes at achieving flexibility. :)

Excellent info there - but also, Michelle, go with your intuition, that 'gut feeling' - if for any reason or no reason at all, a place just doesn't 'feel' right - don't stay there.

Hello everyone !
Thanks for reading !
Milly

Hi Milly2B
I LOVE free camping! Here are some tips that come to mind:

The biggest issue I found, is being able to comfortably carry the extra weight in your backpack. My camping equipment is nothing more than a lightweight 1 person tent and an air mattress. This adds 1.9kg to what I usually carry (which is 6.7kg Gross). After 3 or 4 week's walking you will really notice the extra weight.

It takes a little while to get used to free-camping - to learn not to wake fearing every sound, but once you're "acclimatised", there is nothing better! I especially love the rain on your tent at night when you're snug inside.

If you can't find a suitable spot - or for a bit more security, try asking the albergues' hosts if you can camp in their grounds - for a small fee. You then have the benefit of their showers, washing facilities and kitchen - and pilgrim company in the evenings.

If in doubt, ask. e.g. if you're passing through a village or past a farm, ask the locals where you might be able to camp. If I was a farmer and found someone camping on my land, I'd be a bit cross, but if they'd asked me first, I would be delighted.

Yip, sadly, you do need to be alert to the little "packages" left behind by fellow pilgrims. If you are going to free-camp, head at least 80-100m off the track to be safe.

One last comment though, the Albergues are great value for money. If you don't have a love of free-camping, definitely stay in the pilgrim accommodation - It's always great!

I Know it is not legal but here is my view from a forgotten pick-nick spot overlooking Ventosa in 2013 . I slept in a tent every 4 days or so while on a two week Camino. The site is now bypassed and one needs to look behind once getting to the top of the hill or you would have no idea that it is there. I carried all my rubbish away with me and I disturbed no one , although I did walk along the fringe of a vineyard which one passes anyway. That night I snored myself into oblivion. ................... However , I must have been a farmer's property and I'm not sure if he would have liked me being there . I did leave it all spic and span unlike other pilgrims who had littered this property with no consideration at all?aa.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, never leave a trace and take care of the spot as it is your own property. Always. For everybody's sake including the animals that might swallow and choke on leftovers not meant for animals. I have found porcupines with their heads stuck in plastic cups that had contained yoghurt...
I also recommend finding a a spot a bit further away from the roads and thereby away from the obvious spots for camping that a land owner might "patroll" in the peak season..... Lovely spot by the way.

Last edited:
@Milly2b +1 on the emergency blanket, but get something more durable than a mylar sheet. Check this one out at REI: Space All-Weather Blanket. I always bring one camping, and have them in my BOB bags. You could use it like a taco shell (fold it half, and get inside). Just read a bit about vapor barriers and how to deal with condensation (it's all a balancing act). Another alternative is Tyvek ... cheap, light weight, and durable. Tyvek lean to, or A frame with your trekking poles would be very inexpensive.

thank you for this suggestion. I found this link to be really informative:
The Tyvek bivy sack...(skip to 8:37)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHo...feature=relmfu

thank you this is good food for thought. I have done a medium amount of backpacking and "free camping" on Appalachian trail and other trails in USA. Those times I was always traveling with a partner and we shared the weight of a tent. this time I will be alone. I do not know the advantages/disadvantages of Bivvy Bag verses tent except, of course, the Bivvy bag is lighter and I know that tent will protect me from little critters who might want to snuggle up during the night. Is this a large consideration? I will not sleep outside if rain is expected.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you this is good food for thought. I have done a medium amount of backpacking and "free camping" on Appalachian trail and other trails in USA. Those times I was always traveling with a partner and we shared the weight of a tent. this time I will be alone. I do not know the advantages/disadvantages of Bivvy Bag verses tent except, of course, the Bivvy bag is lighter and I know that tent will protect me from little critters who might want to snuggle up during the night. Is this a large consideration? I will not sleep outside if rain is expected.

I don't care for bivvy bags because the lack of airflow means more condensation on the sleeping bag or quilt. Critters are an issue whether in a tent or bivvy. The critter control is the cleanliness of the campsite, leaving no food or other debris outside of odor-proof containers, and eliminating perfumey smells from toiletry gear.

If you do not plan to spend anytime sleeping outdoors during rain, then get a lightweight silnylon tarp like this: one:http://www.bearpawwd.com/tarps/lagarita_tent.php OR this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B5D0C6W/?tag=casaivar02-20 OR this:

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/Coyote-Tarp-10x7-tarp-10x7-coyote.htm OR from other sources.

Use your trekking poles for uprights. The airflow will minimize issues of condensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for those detailed and very useful replies !!
This forum is amazing :-D

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
this information is awesome. What I realize now is that, this being my first Camino, I have no idea if I will or will not want to sleep outside. But I want to be prepared to sleep outside if/when the opportunity presents itself. Do you think that a silk sleeping bag liner, an insulated sleeping pad and a bivvy bag will provide enough protection/warmth for the odd times that I will want to sleep outside? Or will I need a light sleeping bag as well? I will have extra clothes that I can put on before sleeping. I am starting in SJPDP on June 24.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are looking for a low cost non DIY bivvy you may consider the SOL Escape Bivvy ~ $30. We have them in our BOB bags. I have tried a couple of nights in them and they do work. I met an REI guide who used it on the AT in the shelters and he said he was plenty warm and added a layer of clothes if needed. I would still bring some duct tape wrapped around your trekking poles for a potential patch if needed.

I have lots of lightweight stuff, but it can get expensive, Here is a quality lightweight tarp: 1.1 oz. Silicone Tarp, but again a piece of Tyvek will work and is much cheaper. You can tie a simple overhand knot in the corners of the Tyvek and put a slip knot in your guyline around the Tyvek knot rather than sewing loops etc. Dan is well known in the canoeing industry and stands behind his products. You may want to check out the setup instructions for the tarp to get some ideas. You can incorporate your trekking poles to support a ridgeline in a A frame or lean. I have a CSS Lean 3 + that we use in Quetico. I have used many of the concepts in the setup instructions with some mods and we can setup the lean in minutes in the wind and rain. Take note of the following knots: bowline, prusik loop, directional figure 8 (instead of a trucker's hitch).

Enjoy your freedom.

I plan to use a mat, tarp and a light weight sleeping bag, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F3Y9EJA/?tag=casaivar-21

My friends use it for hiking and camping in Northern Europe, where it is comfortable during the summer months combined with a tarp and a mat. Since it can be very cold there during summer it should be good enough for Spain too (I hope)...It will save you some weight compared to a regular sleeping bag and you can combine it with sleeping in some of your clothes (or the even lighter silk liner you might bring along for the dorms anyway).

And if it is not warm enough....well, it is a pilgrimmage, not a cruise....("You must suffer", I heard someone say...)...;)

Last edited:
Hey new thought... I do have a very lightweight hammock that I have used to sleep in when traveling in Asia... Are there enough trees along the Camino Frances for this to be an option? (obviously bad luck for me if it rains haha)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey new thought... I do have a very lightweight hammock that I have used to sleep in when traveling in Asia... Are there enough trees along the Camino Frances for this to be an option? (obviously bad luck for me if it rains haha)

Which hammock do you use? I´m curious about that because it was an option I considered - but rejected since I find even the lightweight hammocks too heavy (I am tall so I have to use a long and thus heavier hammock).

BTW: I dont know about the trees on the CF.

I have several hammocks, but I have settled on my Warbonnet Blackbird. I like the footbox, shelf, and the hammock provides good visibility when I am inside of it. There is a long version. Also, you may want to check on hammock forums for reviews of hammocks.

Trees or lack of ~ meseta comes to mind, this comment is only based on pics since I have not yet walked the camino.

Thanks for the answer Linkster (sorry I haven’t responded earlier). The Warbonnet Blackbirds is certainly a piece of quality equipment, but it seem to be rather heavy. I am big so I will need one of the bigger and heavier ones. I have thought over the pros and cons and decided to stay with the mat and tarp solution since they can also - with a bit of luck - be used on the lawn of an albergue.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am an experienced hiker who regularly sleeps out on trails (here in Finland) and even camp out in winter ( minus stupid degrees C ). I have always taken a basic airmat and SOL bivy with me on camino which can be used with my poncho tarp to make a camp anywhere. However, although I like the insurance of not having to bed race I have yet to sleep out on the camino, the reason being that I also like to push my daily distances so always end up soaked to the skin in sweat irrespective of season. I'd only really want to crawl into my sleeping bag on camino if I'd had an exertion lite day, maybe a leisurely 10-15km. So for sweaty old me a 5€ albergue and a shower is a no brainer. Did sleep on the hippy beach at Finisterre though...

I am an experienced hiker who regularly sleeps out on trails (here in Finland) and even camp out in winter ( minus stupid degrees C ). I have always taken a basic airmat and SOL bivy with me on camino which can be used with my poncho tarp to make a camp anywhere. However, although I like the insurance of not having to bed race I have yet to sleep out on the camino, the reason being that I also like to push my daily distances so always end up soaked to the skin in sweat irrespective of season. I'd only really want to crawl into my sleeping bag on camino if I'd had an exertion lite day, maybe a leisurely 10-15km. So for sweaty old me a 5€ albergue and a shower is a no brainer. Did sleep on the hippy beach at Finisterre though...
Thank you for these words of experience. I suspect that this could be my experience as well. I LOVE sleeping outdoors and would like to be prepared if the opportunity strikes, but I also would not be surprised if dont ever sleep outside. I am leaning toward your suggestion of a SOL bivvy and airmat. do you use a lightweight sleeping bag, silk liner or just the SOL Bivvy? I am starting from SJPDP at the end of June. thank you again for sharing your experience.

Thank you for these words of experience. I suspect that this could be my experience as well. I LOVE sleeping outdoors and would like to be prepared if the opportunity strikes, but I also would not be surprised if dont ever sleep outside. I am leaning toward your suggestion of a SOL bivvy and airmat. do you use a lightweight sleeping bag, silk liner or just the SOL Bivvy? I am starting from SJPDP at the end of June. thank you again for sharing your experience.

I use a 400g rubberised air mat (Halti), SOL escape bivy, Sea to Summit tarp poncho and a super lite summer down bag that packs down to 1l size. Have only ever walked in spring and autumn so took sleeping bag as needed it even in albergues. No walking sticks so would just use stick for tarp set-up and twigs for pegs. In June you might be able to get away with a silk liner inside the SOL because it is a thermal bag. You will only need a silk liner in albergues in June.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not many 'critters' out there in Spain - some wolves and even fewer bears but not where you will be. With wolves just urinate a perimeter and they won't cross that (I read somewhere).

They do have some scorpions but not killer ones - if concerned take some lavender or lavender spray with you as they will not pass lavender. This is a list of the creepy-crawlies that are in Spain - don't let it put you off!! we have never had a report of anyone ever having a problem!! - http://www.practicalspain.com/spanish-arthropods.htm - mind you, as with any camping always check your footwear before putting it on in the morning!

Buen Camino

I think the Spanish are pretty relaxed about camping despite all the alarmist comments here about wild camping being illegal, strictly forbidden in Spain etc

I camped on a piece of land with a few others just as you enter Hontanas. It was a lovely spot overlooking the village.

The owner of the land evenually came along and was really friendly and said it was no problem to camp there. I later found out he owned one of the albergues with an attached cafe. I made sure I returned the goodwill by having a large breakfast in his cafe.

I also found many private albergues who would let you camp in their garden, often at half the cost of a bed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Campers! I just had a thought .. I don't know if camp stove use is regulated or not outside campsites but BBQs are during the dry summer months - to quote:- " The majority of autonomous regions have banned people from lighting fires during the summer months. If your BBQ causes a fire, the fine could range from 100,000 to 1 million euro."

So I think that I would be rather cautious about that - though I may be wrong (I often am!). Hey! makes for a lighter pack if you leave the stove and kit behind!!

My camping kit for upcoming Chemin du Puy / Camino del Norte:
  • ultralight (UL) zPacks tent
  • UL Trail Designs ti-tri stove
  • UL sleeping pad
  • Liner, (sleeping bag overkill for summer)
  • Total: 1.53kg (not including fuel)
Yes, UL is expensive, but I'm an old firm - can't be lugging 30kg, as was not uncommon 'back in the day'!

Oh, and a Helinox Chair Zero - it's the little luxuries in life!

Keep on truckin'

"My head is my only house, unless it rains" ~ Captain Beefheart

Actually there isn't any reason to camp out on the Le Puy/Norte route and actually it is prohibited in most of the places on them - sigh. BC SY

I know this is an old post. But please stop advising people that camping is prohibited. The right to camp overnight has been written into Spanish law since 1966. It applies to people on journeys and allows them to make camp from dusk until dawn. There are certain restrictions regarding groups etc in some provinces which should be checked. This is a natural right and applies in most countries.
For some people the only viable way to complete the pilgrimage is by camping. I dread to think of the number of people who were put off because of bad advice received here. I almost was.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know this is an old post. But please stop advising people that camping is prohibited. The right to camp overnight has been written into Spanish law since 1966. It applies to people on journeys and allows them to make camp from dusk until dawn. There are certain restrictions regarding groups etc in some provinces which should be checked. This is a natural right and applies in most countries.
For some people the only viable way to complete the pilgrimage is by camping. I dread to think of the number of people who were put off because of bad advice received here. I almost was.

Yes this is well said. I travel with animals so camping is the only option. To sleep, camp, with respect is an obvious and simple right. Enforcing the idea this is somehow bad or illegal is very sad and is only said by those with no experience on the matter. I get help from the policia local when looking for a good camping spot in urban areas so there's the reality.

I slept outside many times on my camino....s...

But, normally pay the A'burg. Then shower, wash clothes, and eat there.
Then sleep outside in tent or hammock in the garden, or porch.

A few times I slept outside and did not use A'burg. Mostly due to walking distance and crowded A'burs. Or A'burg I did not like.

The problem with sleeping outside and not using A'burg or hostel or etc...
you need to get cleaned up. Shower and do clothes.

No smoking, no fires, no cooking, no music, no lights..etc when stealth camping.

No. The competence for dictate rules about free camping or wild camping corresponds exclusively to the Autonomous Communities (Comunidades Autonomas) and municipalities in his territories, not to the state; and is very restrictive or absolutely forbidden in most of them.

You don't need to do no stealth camping, just be sensible and respectful. Wash yourself and clothes in rivers with bio soap. Or at the old lavure (fountain) you find in most villages where old ladies still wash clothes.

No. The competence for dictate rules about free camping or wild camping corresponds exclusively to the Autonomous Communities (Comunidades Autonomas) and municipalities in his territories, not to the state; and is very restrictive or absolutely forbidden in most of them.

Do you have experience camping in Spain?
I have plenty, and the reality is the opposite. I am camping right now, with my donkey and dogs outside of ramalas in cantabria. The whole town knows I'm here so why no police? Simple. Be respectful and realize laws on paper are just paper.

Oh ye gods, as you watch us and laugh - please remember we are but human. Therefore whenever we encounter a concept contradictory to our own we will defy it, deny it, and denigrate anyone who holds to the irrational.

Those of us who seek to protect the innocent from their foolishnesses shall be denied most of all.

To summarise, pointlessly but I'll do it anyway, wild camping is illegal in most of Spain and unlawful in the rest of it (Google may help the desperate with the distinction). However, it is often tolerated or ignored at the discretion of the Guardia, Policia National and others with an interest.

Discrete, experienced, wild campers with sufficient common sense (an extremely rare commodity) to avoid creating wild-fires, polluting water sources or breaking down crops are likely to continue to enjoy opportunities to enjoy their chosen lifestyles: provided they do not use public forums to promote the idea that any idiot with about enough nouse to erect a tent and unpack the barbecue is also at liberty to leave their little footprints along that 200 metre wide strip of northern Spain that is the Camino Frances.

And to be very blunt the reason that rules are written on paper is to preserve and promulgate them. That way every and anyone who wants to know what the rule is can very easily find out; or at least have the opportunity to read it before the court passes sentence.

This 'discussion' gets revived on this forum on a regular basis. Frequently with the same few contributors. Perhaps we could now park it somewhere in the shade.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do you have experience camping in Spain?
I have plenty, and the reality is the opposite. I am camping right now, with my donkey and dogs outside of ramalas in cantabria. The whole town knows I'm here so why no police? Simple. Be respectful and realize laws on paper are just paper.

I am spanish, half basque half cantabrian, and mountaineer, i know the laws. Are you camping right now? Ok, the municipalities on Ramales dont disturb you? Ok. The free camping is restricted or even forbbiden if you have not an especific permission in Cantabria or in Euskadi ( basque country)? YES

You cant spread the idea that free or wild camping is permitted in Spain

Oh ye gods, as you watch us and laugh - please remember we are but human. Therefore whenever we encounter a concept contradictory to our own we will defy it, deny it, and denigrate anyone who holds to the irrational.

Those of us who seek to protect the innocent from their foolishnesses shall be denied most of all.

To summarise, pointlessly but I'll do it anyway, wild camping is illegal in most of Spain and unlawful in the rest of it (Google may help the desperate with the distinction). However, it is often tolerated or ignored at the discretion of the Guardia, Policia National and others with an interest.

Discrete, experienced, wild campers with sufficient common sense (an extremely rare commodity) to avoid creating wild-fires, polluting water sources or breaking down crops are likely to continue to enjoy opportunities to enjoy their chosen lifestyles: provided they do not use public forums to promote the idea that any idiot with about enough nouse to erect a tent and unpack the barbecue is also at liberty to leave their little footprints along that 200 metre wide strip of northern Spain that is the Camino Frances.

And to be very blunt the reason that rules are written on paper is to preserve and promulgate them. That way every and anyone who wants to know what the rule is can very easily find out; or at least have the opportunity to read it before the court passes sentence.

This 'discussion' gets revived on this forum on a regular basis. Frequently with the same few contributors. Perhaps we could now park it somewhere in the shade.
Fyi, unlawful means "against the law". Illegal means "a sick bird".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Tincatinker I do. But I would have said the difference between indictable and non-indictable is whether the matter can be dealt with summarily or not.

Hoping this will drag people away from the topic of this thread before it gets mired in rigid positional thinking.

I am spanish, half basque half cantabrian, and mountaineer, i know the laws. Are you camping right now? Ok, the municipalities on Ramales dont disturb you? Ok. The free camping is restricted or even forbbiden if you have not an especific permission in Cantabria or in Euskadi ( basque country)? YES

You cant spread the idea that free or wild camping is permitted in Spain

Hmmm... Sorry but the reality is different. We can meet up for a discussion if your nearby and fancy a beer?

I have to agree with Kaiur. Just past the house is a small rest area and over the years
it has been quite common for pilgrims to stop and sleep here, either on the benches or in small tents.
Many evenings I have seen the authorities turn up and ask them to pack their things and move on.
To try and help I put up a sign in the garden saying "Camping" shortly after I was approached by the local police and informed I needed a position to allow pilgrims to camp on my own land. Which I could not understand. Again as Kaiur mentions each area has different regulations and I can only comment from my experience the Provinz of A Coruña.

Buen Camino and sleep well wherever you may find yourself stopping this evening, be it albergue, B&B or in the wild :)

I am starting from SJPDP on July 1st and will camp every second day and use private accommodation every second day so I can wash my clothes, charge my batteries etc. I will camp on camping sites whenever possible and also in albergue gardens if they allow it for a fee, otherwise I will find a quiet spot 100-200 m away from the road and hide behind bushes with my small tent.
If anyone is going at the same time as me and have similar idea, please let me know.
It could be nice to have some to look at the stars with :)).
I am Croatian male 50+ years and speak fluent English.
Buen Camino

Zoran

When you get to Castaneda Rio come on in - put up your tent where you like, there is a tap outside and a traditional wash sink, washing line.

I know I was told permission is required but bending the rules is allowed once in a while :):) I also sleep in the garden occasionaly and surely cant be told to move off my own land :):)

When I am there the kitchen and bathroom are open for use.

Hopefully if I get my act together the barbeque pit will be finished and a couple of hammocks in the garden for tired pilgrims to take a break.

Buen Camino and enjoy the journey.

Shaun,

THANK YOU for the true spirit of Camino and I would pass by but I am doing Camino Francais and as far as I could find you on the map, your house is not on CF route, or am I mistaken. What is the address?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was wrong, sorry. I just found this description on the web and you are in Arzua:

"Leaving Sarria, your walk to Portomarin will take you through many traditional Galician towns and villages on quiet rural roads and paths. The Camino then crosses the river Miño, passes through more hamlets and villages, and continues on country roads to Palas de Rei. On the next stage of the route you will pass through the market town of Melide and follow tracks and forest paths to Arzúa."

I will for sure come by and have a beer with you. Looking forward to it :)
Zoran

Shaun,

THANK YOU for the true spirit of Camino and I would pass by but I am doing Camino Francais and as far as I could find you on the map, your house is not on CF route, or am I mistaken. What is the address?

Its directly on the Camino :) you will walk by for sure. As you come through the main village of Castaneda there is a long slow hill down and away from the village (Route 1) or the other route goes through the woods.
Either way they meet up at a small green house. 100m further on the left is the house and garden.

Attachments

• Castaneda Rio.jpg
    Castaneda Rio.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Jackobsweg Galicia.jpg
    Jackobsweg Galicia.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its directly on the Camino :) you will walk by for sure. As you come through the main village of Castaneda there is a long slow hill down and away from the village (Route 1) or the other route goes through the woods.
Either way they meet up at a small green house. 100m further on the left is the house and garden.

I will come by for sure. THANKS again for the spirit of Camino. I'll be arriving to Arzua on 29th or 30th July so I hope that you will be home on those dates.

Love ur words!@

this information is awesome. What I realize now is that, this being my first Camino, I have no idea if I will or will not want to sleep outside. But I want to be prepared to sleep outside if/when the opportunity presents itself. Do you think that a silk sleeping bag liner, an insulated sleeping pad and a bivvy bag will provide enough protection/warmth for the odd times that I will want to sleep outside? Or will I need a light sleeping bag as well? I will have extra clothes that I can put on before sleeping. I am starting in SJPDP on June 24.

No.
Best to always have bivysack, pad, sleeping bag and liner.

The silk bag liners offer hardly any addition warmth.
Their purpose is to keep your bag clean.

Now Sea To Summit sells liners that add about 5 degree F

But the weigh

Would much rather be warm than cold or worse

I always take also a emergency blanket. Just Incase bag gets wet or temps drop.

Have you actually used a bicycle?
They are, at times, not the most ideal thing.
Known to be condensation holders.

Without a tarp you may wake up in the rain. Not nice.

I would take a light weight tent or hammock with tarp.

€46,-
75% of my camping is going to be at regular camping sites and when that is not possible due to the lack of them on my route, I will ask albergues , churches and local farmers if I can use their garden for a fee. I am a proper human being that respects nature and other people and will never leave any kind of waste behind me.
My 4 reasons for not wanting to sleeping in albergues is that I need my good sleep and rest and won't get if I can hear one person snore (I hear them with the ear plugs as well), second is that I am one of those people that snore and because of me others can't sleep :) and third is the fact that 5 of my friends did Camino on different occasions in 2017 and 3 of them got bitten by bed bugs and one of them even got them home with him. I know that busybodies will say that you can get bed bugs i 5* hotels but I believe that chances are much smaller. Forth reason is that I want to have my own bathroom in the morning and breakfast before I leave. I want Camino to be what I wanted it to be and not what others say it has to be. It is my Camino and the spirit of Camino is not where you sleep but how you treat your fellow pilgrims in need.
Buen Camino eveyone

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back